• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The extremely convoluted situation of Michael Elgin

The Dragon Saga

Whale in a Teardrop
Unless you don't read the main page at all (or pretty much any wrestling news website) you probably have no clue what I'm talking about, those who do however will have most probably read little details on the situation ROH's "Unbreakable" Michael Elgin currently finds himself in.

062214rohworldchampelgin.png

This is Michael Elgin. For those unfamiliar to him, Elgin is known for a couple of things, one being he has a five star match from Dave Meltzer with Davey Richards at ROH Showdown in the Sun 2012, the other is he is freakishly strong and is the master of deadlifting other wrestlers into just about any move. Despite his size he is also scary agile and although a powerhouse he is also extremely technically sound. His negatives would be he can't talk all that well, many would say he's charismatic as a shoe (like the ones cobblers fix, with the wooden soles) and takes himself a tad too seriously (he publicly bitched about NJPW not taking him over as an ROH representative).

On Saturday night at ROH's All Star Extravaganza VI iPPV, Michael Elgin shockingly lost the ROH World Championship to Jay Briscoe. If you're a regular ROH fan this was pretty much the most shocking thing to happen in wrestling this year after The Undertaker's streak being ended by Brock Lesnar. The reaction of the crowd was extremely similar, albeit there was only like 1,700 people there you but you my point.

Elgin had been built to win the title for a good eight months. He was the first person to defeat AJ Styles clean following AJ's departure from TNA, he was the main event and focal point of ROH's first PPV, they even put him over Kevin Steen during WrestleMania Weekend. And 72 days later, which is a shorter reign then that of the worst ROH Champion in history Xavier, it was over and ended by Jay Briscoe no less (nothing against Jay but everyone thought AJ Styles would do it).

There has been a lot of rumors as to why Elgin lost the title.

- They were unhappy with the reaction he was getting from fans at live events.
- They were unhappy with his lack of effort in publicizing himself and the ROH World Championship
- They were unhappy that he admitted in an interview that he wanted to tryout for Major League Baseball
- They were unhappy that he jobbed to Trevor Lee, a virtual unknown on the indies at PWG's Battle of Los Angeles, as ROH doesn't like their World Champion jobbing on the indies

Whether these issues are true or not, one big issue came up on Sunday. Elgin canceled an independent show he was scheduled to wrestle at in Cleveland, Ohio. It turns out his VISA had expired and he was stopped trying to cross the Canada border from the ROH show the night before. Elgin has been placed on security watch meaning he can't leave Canada until he gets the VISA and he is stranded in Canada - despite being Canadian he and his family live in St. Louis, Missouri and he has virtually no family left in Canada.

It doesn't seem like the worst scenario, but the variables are what make it a pretty sad story. Elgin just recently signed a new 18 month ROH contract, a full time exclusive contract with a salary. Now what that means is even though ROH won't be able to use him for the next 90 days while his VISA issues are worked out, he won't be getting what they usually pay him and instead a percentage of it. He just bought a new house in St. Louis and has publicly said that without the money he gets paid from ROH he doesn't know how he'll pay off his mortage and his wife is left in America, unable to travel to Canada.

Elgin posted this on his Facebook page earlier today...

Many issues have arose, and it could be easy to point fingers. I will say many things were a misunderstanding that led to recent happenings. If I'm at fault, I have no problem owning up and taking responsibility. But as if now I will say claims, reports and opinions are very wrong and just rumors. I do hope that one day (sooner than later) things will be corrected and my name is restored.

I will admit I'm in Canada very angry, disappointed and so many other feelings that I don't feel like going into detail about.
I'm not asking for goodwill or handouts but show some decency while you have no correct info.

All I know is I am without my beautiful wife, our great pets and new house. We have 2 mortgages to pay and many other bills that my money is going towards. I have almost zero clothes or personal belongings. This is a more drastic situation that anyone could understand. To my family in St. Louis I love and miss you, to Elgin supporters and haters alike thank you for supporting wrestling because without you I wouldn't be anywhere.

Five days ago Michael Elgin was the World Champion in one of the top wrestling promotions in America, had just signed a new contract where he is said to be getting good money, was expected to get a lengthy title reign as he'd been saying he would break the all-time defense record held by Bryan (37) and had just bought a new house with his wife in St. Louis.

Now, he's no longer ROH World Champion, if rumors are true the company who employs him are angry for multiple reasons, he isn't going to be getting the money he thought from his new contract, he's stranded in Canada with no entry back into the United States until at least 90 days and as hes said above, he has almost nothing with him.

TL;DR Michael Elgin's life sucks right now.

It's his own fault for not sorting his visa out.

" I'm stuck in Canada and will have a hard time paying my upcoming bills because I failed to renew an important legal document. "

Now Mr. Elgin, was that so hard to say?

If I was ROH, I would be a tad upset about my champion jobbing to an unknown from another promotion as well. That fact along with a few other cumulative things = good decision made by ROH management.

Reactions: Lee
What's more likely of him losing the belt than all of those reasons?

ROH "Hey Mike did you sort that Visa paperwork we've been on to you the last few months about?"
Elgin: "A funny thing about that..."

Gabe Sapolsky chimed in and said that if he was in ROH and had heard Elgin lost to Lee he'd have been pissed too, didn't say he'd take the title off of him but after the whole VISA thing cropped up I imagine it became clear that the switch had to be made. At least one positive to come from this is Elgin, who was said to be working a bit hurt can get some sort of rest. Also, Jay Briscoe vs. AJ Styles will probably main event Final Battle and that match has the potential to be a great match.

I saw the reports that said he wasn't getting great reactions. I'm confused as to why though, from the outside It seemed there was a lot of excitement about Elgin finally breaking through.

Him winning the title was a great moment, but like so many others, the chase was better then him actually being the champion. They went from Adam Cole, super charismatic, good looking, very good wrestler to Michael Elgin who is simply put a big, very good wrestler, but that's where his redeeming qualities end. His promos to hype events weren't good enough, the fans in towns they went to didn't care enough and he wasn't carrying himself like a World Champion. The thing about Jay winning it is, Jay's the bad ass of ROH. He has everything Elgin doesn't, isn't as good of a wrestler, but is still a good wrestler. He can fill the voids Elgin couldn't and hopefully Elgin can use this time off to better himself.

Him winning the title was a great moment, but like so many others, the chase was better then him actually being the champion. They went from Adam Cole, super charismatic, good looking, very good wrestler to Michael Elgin who is simply put a big, very good wrestler, but that's where his redeeming qualities end. His promos to hype events weren't good enough, the fans in towns they went to didn't care enough and he wasn't carrying himself like a World Champion. The thing about Jay winning it is, Jay's the bad ass of ROH. He has everything Elgin doesn't, isn't as good of a wrestler, but is still a good wrestler. He can fill the voids Elgin couldn't and hopefully Elgin can use this time off to better himself.

The ability to work legally in the US?

Honestly I just dont understand why he didn't take care of the visa thing. Much easier to deal with before it expires rather than after. Boo hoo, you are stuck & lost the belt because you're lazy. What other facts do we need? Did someone hide your paperwork and this is all a conspiracy against Canadians?

so does that thing no longer exist for marrying a "local" to become a permanant resident or something?

You still have do paperwork, most people who marry solely to stay in the country would have it done like for the day they get married and get their wedding certificate signed off on, Elgin obviously wasn't too pushed.

Has anyone said it's a work yet? The redneck guy wins the belt from him and he can't fight him for 90 days until his visa comes through igniting border wars!

Please let Jay drop the title to Adam Cole... He was just such a natural with the title, although I'd rather see Cole on NXT than at midnight on Fox (I don't have DVR).

Has anyone said it's a work yet? The redneck guy wins the belt from him and he can't fight him for 90 days until his visa comes through igniting border wars!

borderwarsrotor.jpg

It's all building to a match at Border Wars 2014: The Unbreakable Hostage Crisis where Michael Elgin will try to take America hostage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back