The Expendables 3 Speculation Thread

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
Mel Gibson won't direct The Expendables 3, Instead, he's going to be the primary antagonist:

http://www.showbiz411.com/2013/06/07/exclusive-mel-gibson-said-to-be-joining-expendables-3

Great news, and I'm looking forward to seeing what Mel can do as the main villain. Could be the jumpstart Mel needs, and this will be his first high profiled role in a while.

New editions to the cast include Jackie Chan, Nicolas Cage, Wesley Snipes, Milla Jovovich, and Mickey Rourke is returning.

The Expendables 3 doesn't hit theaters until August 15, 2014, but I really enjoyed the follow up to the original, and well, The Expendables is one of the very action franchises I actually care about.

Milla and Mel are the 2 additions I'm the most interested in.

Either way Mel plays the villain; cold and calculated or over the top maniacal lunatic, are going to be a lot of fun to watch. I've been meaning to watch How I Spent My Summer Vacation for a while so its nice to have a reason to now.

Milla has been bogged down with Resident Evil shite for long enough so seeing her NOT fight zombies and the corporation behind them is gonna be great.

I wouldn't mind seeing Tony Jaa added to the mix but he seems to have gone off the deep end unfortunately, which is a shame because the sight of him losing his shit against people working for the bad people who stole his elephant, is a beautiful thing to watch.

When I think about over the top lunatic Mel, I'm always reminded of his tirades in Ransom. While I would enjoy that type of persona more, I wouldn't have a problem with a more subtle and cold approach.

And it'll be nice to see Milla step away from the Resident Evil films for a while (she has one more to go, if I'm not mistaken). She's believable as an ass kicking action heroine. Unfortunately for her, the vast majority of the Resident Evil franchise (I actually think the original and Extinction are decent enough movies) is shit.

Oh, and I didn't mention this the first time around, but I hope Arnold returns for another cameo. Unless I missed something, I didn't see anything regarding Arnold coming back for 3.

When it comes to The Expendables, I'm like a little kid in a candy store, I just get so excited about it. At least once every month, I'm always checking on Google to see who's the latest action star added to the cast of The Expendables. I can't wait to see Snipes back, Chan will be awesome as always, and Gibson should be great as the villian. Kinda wish they could bring in Danny Glover to play a CIA agent chasing the bad guy down like they planned for Charlie Sheen in Expendables 2 since Mel is gonna be in there.

Disappointed Seagal won't be in there, he's not one of my favourite action stars but the man can sure tear someone a new asshole. I've read that Stallone is trying to get some of the cast from The Raid: Redemption, which I'd love to see, but I don't see happening as nobody really knows who they are. What's Sammo Hung up to these days? Michael Biehn & Vin Diesel need The Expendables badly. Maybe they could bring in Karl Urban as one of the bad guys, have the old Dredd face off against the new Dredd. Would love to see Linda Hamilton or Sigourney Weaver make a cameo. Michael Jai White? I know none of them are likely to get cast, but it's always fun to just throw out names for The Expendables. I have a long list of names I wanna see in future Expendable movies.

Michael Jai White would be an interesting choice. But obvious picks aside, he can't match the level of star power some of the other Expendables members have. I mean, his biggest feature film is Spawn, right? Only saw it once, so I don't remember it too well, but I know Spawn received an overwhelming negative reaction from most critics (off the top of my head, I think Ebert was one of the few big name critics, who gave it a positive review). I wouldn't have a problem with White in the cast, but I doubt most people would recognize him.

Linda Hamilton and Sigourney Weaver would be great choices. And I know there's no shot in hell at this ever happening, but I would like to see the other Sarah Connor get a chance. Lena Headey was a believable bad ass on The Sarah Connor Chronicles. It was like watching Linda in Judgement Day for two seasons of a TV series. The intensity, the grit, the rage. She nailed everything. But again, I have a really hard time picturing Headey as a realistic possibility.

You know who would make a nice several minute cameo? Michael Biehn.

He is not amongst the greats of Action cinema, or even cinema in general, yet he featured as an integral part of 2 action franchises; the Alien and Terminator series'.

I grew up with the TV cut versions of both Terminator 1 & 2 so it wasnt until I saw the DVD versions that I understood what a big role Kyle Reese actually was for the direction and drive of where the Terminator series would go. Linda Hamilton is brilliant as Sarah Connor but for her to have such a strong justification in her belief of the future, she needed someone to instil that justification into her.

His role in Aliens didn't stretch to the same levels as Terminator but I don't think I was alone in my disappointment that he didn't make it into the third Aliens film.

You forgot about Biehn's role in The Rock, Dowds :). I know it's a Michael Bay film, but it was pretty popular upon its release back in the mid 90's. Made a ton of money, Ebert actually gave it a favorable review, and going by Michael Bay's standards, it's not a complete piece of shit.

I would definitely welcome Biehn in a cameo role, because on full-time status, he really can't hang with other bigger names. Yes, we all remember Kyle Reese, and a select few might remember Hicks from Aliens (we'll just forget about Navy Seals, because it was a terrible film), but with the exception of The Rock, Biehn faded away from the spotlight for a long time, taking parts and starring in a handful of awful and mediocre movies. Bereavement was decent enough (low budget slasher flick from a few years ago), but I legitimately hate The Divide, because it's on a short list of movies that actually pissed me off.

Not surprising, but I read somewhere else Arnold is suppose to be coming back for part 3. Hopefully, he'll have more than a cameo role this time around.

It's not surprising to hear about Jackie Chan joining the fight but does that mean that Jet Li isn't returning? Would love to see a fight between the two. Milla joining the cast is something I'm excited about as well since I actually LIKE the Resident Evil movies. Mel Gibson as the villain should be interesting so long as he stays sober. Love these movies and I'm excited about a third release.

I've only seen The Rock once all the way through but the cast was decent from what I remember. Weren't John C McGinley and Ed Harris in it too? I may have to see if it's on UK Netflix.

Speaking of which, I found that Expendables 2 was on Netflix after posting yesterday. Sly looked pretty rough in it and the mentions/references to each others big films was a bit tedious but I actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Dolph Lundgren also looks pretty broken but had some funny lines.

If they include Jackie Chan then I'm sure there's a way they can turn Jet Li into a villain somehow. I guess it depends on the length of Jackie's role though. If it's similar to Chuck Norris' then I don't see an issue.

Yeah, McGinely and Harris are in The Rock. Harris is the primary antagonist, and McGinely is one of the subordinates.

Sly did look rough in 2, but he's 66, so I give him a break. Lundgren's had the broken down look for years, but he was great comical relief. And pains me to admit it, but the nostalgia winks reach a too much point a few times, although it's good Chuck Norris was there to breathe some new life into the cast.

I also can see Jet Li working as a villain for a one on one showdown with Chan, but he'll need more screen time, because if I'm not mistaken, he disappeared after the first ten or fifteen minutes in 2.

Yeah, McGinely and Harris are in The Rock. Harris is the primary antagonist, and McGinely is one of the subordinates.

Sly did look rough in 2, but he's 66, so I give him a break. Lundgren's had the broken down look for years, but he was great comical relief. And pains me to admit it, but the nostalgia winks reach a too much point a few times, although it's good Chuck Norris was there to breathe some new life into the cast.

I also can see Jet Li working as a villain for a one on one showdown with Chan, but he'll need more screen time, because if I'm not mistaken, he disappeared after the first ten or fifteen minutes in 2.

From what I read, Jet Li was filming another movie so that was all he could do. But is it possible for Jackie Chan to be a villain? Maybe not but I think that'd be something to consider.

You forgot about Biehn's role in The Rock, Dowds :). I know it's a Michael Bay film, but it was pretty popular upon its release back in the mid 90's. Made a ton of money, Ebert actually gave it a favorable review, and going by Michael Bay's standards, it's not a complete piece of shit.

I would definitely welcome Biehn in a cameo role, because on full-time status, he really can't hang with other bigger names. Yes, we all remember Kyle Reese, and a select few might remember Hicks from Aliens (we'll just forget about Navy Seals, because it was a terrible film), but with the exception of The Rock, Biehn faded away from the spotlight for a long time, taking parts and starring in a handful of awful and mediocre movies. Bereavement was decent enough (low budget slasher flick from a few years ago), but I legitimately hate The Divide, because it's on a short list of movies that actually pissed me off.

Not surprising, but I read somewhere else Arnold is suppose to be coming back for part 3. Hopefully, he'll have more than a cameo role this time around.

And you, Mitch, forgot about Biehn's first role co-starring with Ed Harris, The Abyss :p. That movie did quite well if I remember, and Biehn did a decent job freaking out in it.

As for The Expendables 3, I don't care too much. The first one was fun. The Second one was not nearly as good, but I did enjoy the scene with Bruce Willis, Arnold Schwarzenegger and the Smart car.

I won't complain about Milla Jovovich being included, as she is never hard to look at. Michael Jai White I think would fit in with that cast well, as it would shadow his poor acting while still allowing his large presence. It is a shame we haven't seen Steven Segal though. Talk about an action movie icon. Someone who could be thrown in strictly for a cameo or other small role would be Lance Henriksen, seeing as he's been in Terminator, Aliens and AVP, but I guess at this point we're grasping at straws.

My guess is that because Seagal won't be in charge of the lighting/body doubles, he is unlikely to show his full mass on screen.

What a great tease it would be if you only saw a snippet of his hairline in the trailer though. It's so pointy.

From what I read, Jet Li was filming another movie so that was all he could do. But is it possible for Jackie Chan to be a villain? Maybe not but I think that'd be something to consider.

I could see Chan as a villain working, but I'm sure a lot of people will just think of "that goofy guy from the Rush Hour films, and other action comedies." Not saying Chan couldn't pull it off, but you just know some people will have this mindset.

And you, Mitch, forgot about Biehn's first role co-starring with Ed Harris, The Abyss :p. That movie did quite well if I remember, and Biehn did a decent job freaking out in it.

Shit, yeah I did forget about The Abyss. The Abyss usually bores me to tears, and it's probably my least favorite James Cameron film, but Biehn is fantastic in it.

As for The Expendables 3, I don't care too much. The first one was fun. The Second one was not nearly as good, but I did enjoy the scene with Bruce Willis, Arnold Schwarzenegger and the Smart car.

The smart car scene is hilarious. The sight of Arnold and Willis in that car is enough to crack me up.

I won't complain about Milla Jovovich being included, as she is never hard to look at. Michael Jai White I think would fit in with that cast well, as it would shadow his poor acting while still allowing his large presence. It is a shame we haven't seen Steven Segal though. Talk about an action movie icon. Someone who could be thrown in strictly for a cameo or other small role would be Lance Henriksen, seeing as he's been in Terminator, Aliens and AVP, but I guess at this point we're grasping at straws.

I wouldn't mind Henriksen in a cameo appearance. I mean, technically he's not an action guy, but he's had some memorable roles in The Terminator and the Aliens films. Two of the most memorable moments in Aliens revolve around Henriksen with the rescue of Ripley and Newt, and the alien queen literally ripping him into pieces.

Personally, I've never been that wild on Steven Segal flicks, but he would be an ideal choice to appear in an Expendables film. Although, from what I've read, Segal is just rumored to be apart of 3, and nothing is confirmed so far. The last I remember of Segal is seeing him as the primary antagonist in Machete. Also, some reality TV show, showing his daily routines as a real life deputy. Never actually watched the show. I just remember seeing the promo ads for it.

My guess is that because Seagal won't be in charge of the lighting/body doubles, he is unlikely to show his full mass on screen.

What a great tease it would be if you only saw a snippet of his hairline in the trailer though. It's so pointy.

Haha! Yeah, I every other time I've seen Seagal recently, he's clearly put on some weight. That, and he's older now, so I don't think too many people would take him seriously as a physical threat.

I am glade to hear this because its two parts were really very awesome and full of action. Such kind of action movies are my weakness and now will wait for this movie to release.

Maybe we'll get to see Milla play a villain. I think that'd be awesome since she's only played the heroine in the resident evil movies. I just hope she doesn't get introduced in the movie and say, "My name...is Alice." I really want to see fewer references to the stars other movies they've played in. Make it it's own and step away from everything else like the first one was. If I remember correctly, Austin didn't say, "And that's the bottom line, cause Stone Cold said so!"

The referencing of each others films in the second one was pretty tedious to listen to. I'm sure Arnie said I'll be back 2 or 3 times.

If they introduce Milla as she is fighting someone off with an umbrella say, that would be a nice reference. If they ask her about anything to do with Ruby Rod, then I hope she fucks the person right up, Robert Carlyle in 28 Weeks Later style.

The referencing of each others films in the second one was pretty tedious to listen to. I'm sure Arnie said I'll be back 2 or 3 times.

If they introduce Milla as she is fighting someone off with an umbrella say, that would be a nice reference. If they ask her about anything to do with Ruby Rod, then I hope she fucks the person right up, Robert Carlyle in 28 Weeks Later style.

That shit would be fucking epic to watch.

"It's no surprise that the kung fu legend Jackie Chan is slated to join the growing cast of action superstars for Expendables 3. Chan is to play a former team member that aids Stallone and his crew in saving the president.

Jet Li is also to return; this would be the second time the kung fu movie legends have worked together. And for any action-junky, this will make the popular franchise even more exciting.

Another kung fu movie great, Donnie Yuen was also believed to be attached to the film. But word has it that he backed out of the project.

Still the list of old school action heroes continues to grow with names like Wesley Snipes and Steven Seagal. This could be the biggest collection of action heroes ever in one movie."

Does a plot of the Expendables team having to go rescue the President interest you guys? Comment below, and for more information, head to Expendablespremiere.com

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Deadshot/news/?a=83083

Big news, and it looks like we have the first rumored details for the plot synopsis for The Expendables 3.

Of course, a lot of people are already shitting on this idea, making jokes/comparisons to the recent fad of White House invasion action/thrillers (i.e. Olympus Has Fallen and White House Down). Well, that might be true, but none of us have seen the movie or a trailer yet, so it's kind of silly to trash the rumored plot details. And well, let's be honest, we don't watch Expendables films to see well thought out plots, complex storylines, and characters with depth.

I'd lose my shit if they made Seagal president!

Hopefully Seagal, Snipes, a heel turning Li and someone else can prop up the bad guys side.

Segal would be a good choice for president. Surround him with some muscle and bodyguards, and I'm sure he'll be a perfect fit for the role. As I said before, Segal made for an entertaining and worthwhile villain in Machete with a wall of protection around him.

And I like the idea of a heel turn from Li. Expendables fans have been dying to see Li and Chan go at it since the first film, and I have a good feeling it'll happen in three.

So Sylvester Stallone just confirmed Bruce Willis is out, and Harrison Ford is stepping in as a new member of the cast.

Ford makes a lot of sense as the new choice. He's built up an impressive action track record over the years, as Han Solo in the Star Wars films, Blade Runner, and Indiana Jones. In the 90's Ford kept everything going with Air Force One, Clear & Present Danger, The Fugitive, and Patriot Games.

As far as Willis not returning goes, I can't say I care too much. I didn't mind Willis in the first two, but I sure as hell won't miss his presence.

It's not like it needs Bruce Willis. He's funny, and definitely fits that cast, but it runs on a comedy and nostalgia factor that is filled enough by new additions (like Harrison Ford who will be fun to see in it) and the enormous action movie star filled cast. Segal has been the biggest missing piece of all the old action stars. Vin Diesel and Rock would be cool, but they're so new and still going so it's not as big of a deal.

So a little while ago I came across the reported reason for Bruce Willis dropping out of The Expendables 3:

Sylvester Stallone let the world know Tuesday that Bruce Willis was out of the upcoming The Expendables 3 for being "greedy and lazy," and it seems that laziness was not the primary issue.

Stallone raised eyebrows in Hollywood by tweeting "WILLIS OUT . . . HARRISON FORD IN!!!! GREAT NEWS!!!!! Been waiting years for this!!!!," then following up with a second tweet reading "GREEDY AND LAZY . . . A SURE FORMULA FOR CAREER FAILURE."

PHOTOS: Senior Superheroes: 19 Action Stars Kicking Butt Past 50

A source with knowledge of the situation says the fallout was over a specific money demand. Willis was offered $3 million for four days of consecutive work on location in Bulgaria for the film. "He said he'd drop out unless he got $4 million," this source close to the production says. "A million dollars a day. Stallone and everybody else involved said no."

Stallone then quickly reached out to Ford, who was game to join the Expendables cast.

The insider adds, "I think [Willis] was pretty surprised he was replaced in 72 hours by Harrison Ford — a better actor, a much nicer person and a more interesting direction for the film."

Willis' reps at CAA declined to comment.

PHOTOS: 'The Expendables 2' Premiere Arrivals: Sylvester Stallone, Arnold Schwarzenegger

Willis most recently appeared in Red 2, which has grossed a disappointing $80 million worldwide. Before that, February's A Good Day to Die Hard grossed $305 million. He also had an extended cameo in March's GI Joe: Retaliation, which grossed $372 million.

The next installment of The Expendables, with a budget of more than $90 million, is set for release next August by Millenium Films. In addition to Stallone and Ford, the cast includes Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jason Statham, Mickey Rourke and Wesley Snipes.

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/source...er--1-million-a-day-fee-demand-153939113.html

If this is 100% true, then it's kind of sad. And I don't mean sad in a way that I'm disappointed in Willis not being apart of #3. I mean sad in how petty Wills can be. Although he saw more screen time in part 2, Willis' character is still limited to cameo status. But again, if these reports are true, they wouldn't surprise me too much. More recently, it's well known Kevin Smith had a tough, tough time working with Willis on the set of Cop Out, because Willis was such an uncooperative ********. It'll be interesting to see how they replace and/or kill off Mr. Church in the new film.

I don't think an Expendables film will concern itself with explaining where Bruce Willis has got to. And if they did, then they've misjudged their audience.

If Harrison Ford didn't do bad films these days I'd be really impressed. But Harrison Ford signing on for this film tells me that the The Expendables 3 is not going to fulfill the potential of that franchise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back