The Eras of WWE

BOSS Productions

Pre-Show Stalwart
Now there are many Eras in WWE as I will list them all but I want to know what is your favorite Era.

The Golden Era (Hogan Era)-Faces of this Era are Hulk Hogan and Later on Bret Hart (1983-1993)

The Attitude Era-Faces of this Era are The Rock and Steve Austin (Late 90's- 2001)

The Ruthless Aggression Era- Faces of this Era are Brock Lesnar and Bill Goldberg (2002-03)

The Entertainment Era- Faces of this Era are Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit (2004-05)

The Next Generation Era- Faces of this Era are Batista and John Cena (2005-08)

The PG Era - Faces of this Era are Jeff Hardy and John Cena (2009-to present day)

I think I listed them all but anyways tell me which one is your favorite and why.

My personal favorite is the Ruthless Aggression which lasted from 2002-2003. This Era is my favorite just because it was pretty much Attitude Era without all the useless nude divas and what not and it certainly had the best matchs and the best superstars.

Attitude era with out a doubt.

I really can't imagine too many people saying anything beside the attitude era and the golden era.

Also, idk if it's really worth calling ruthless agression its own era but that's just me.

I don't know whether some of those eras can be classified as "eras" but I'll play along. My favorite one would have to be from 2001 in the Attitude Era all the way through the Next Generation Era. Why? Basically I started watching wrestling at the height of the Invasion storyline in 2001 but I caught up on everything that had happened all the way to the Screwjob and up until mid 2008 it was all worth watching. I never missed out on an episode of Raw or Smackdown. When ECW came along in 2006, I was ecstatic. But at Backlash when Triple H got the title last year, I was looking forward to his title reign. It turned out to be nothing but a disappoinment to me. I thought he would be having great feuds like always. Instead he had one-off feuds with Edge and Kozlov and really did nothing. But back to the matter at hand. Up until last year everything before would be my favorite Era.

You forgot to mention the New Generation(1994-1997) which had Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart as the faces as well as the era before Hogan which would likely be the Old School Era with Bob Backlund and Bruno Sammartino as faces. I loved the New Generation Era best because this is when I started watching. Bret was my favorite and such an awesome wrestler and I loved Shhawn Michaels in 1996. The feud these two had, two of the best in their era, is arguably the best feud of all time.

Now there are many Eras in WWE as I will list them all but I want to know what is your favorite Era.

The Golden Era (Hogan Era)-Faces of this Era are Hulk Hogan and Later on Bret Hart (1983-1993)

The Attitude Era-Faces of this Era are The Rock and Steve Austin (Late 90's- 2001)

The Ruthless Aggression Era- Faces of this Era are Brock Lesnar and Bill Goldberg (2002-03)

The Entertainment Era- Faces of this Era are Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit (2004-05)

The Next Generation Era- Faces of this Era are Batista and John Cena (2005-08)

The PG Era - Faces of this Era are Jeff Hardy and John Cena (2009-to present day)

I think I listed them all but anyways tell me which one is your favorite and why.

My personal favorite is the Ruthless Aggression which lasted from 2002-2003. This Era is my favorite just because it was pretty much Attitude Era without all the useless nude divas and what not and it certainly had the best matchs and the best superstars.

I have to agree with mlola, in that just because a particular "Face" of an Era may change, that doesn't denote a "change in Era". What does denote a new Era is a change in style of programming content

The Generally accepted WWE Eras are:

The Hogan Era (1985-1994)

The New Generation (1994-1998)

The Attitude Era (1998-2001)

The Post Attitude Era (2001-2006)

The PG Era (2006-Present)

Note how there really was no real change in the type of programming between your listed "Ruthless Aggression", "Entertainment" and "Next Generation" Eras.

I liked the Attitude Era and Hogan Era equally, and the best, out of all the Eras. Two entirely different types of programming content, however I enjoyed them both immensely. I would like nothing more than for Raw to be a product representative of the Attitude Era and for Smackdown to be a product similar to the Hogan Era. I honestly don't know how people can make comparisons between the PG Era and the Hogan Era. I see very little, if any similarities between those 2 Eras, and I'm sure fans who followed wrestling back in the late 80's and early 90's would agree with that.

The New Generation was decent. Obviously the big difference with this Era was the introduction of even more over-the-top gimmicks, as well as the brand new lighting system for everyone's entrances. They were actually at one point bringing the lights to all House Shows, however that got cut out in a hurry once they figured they determined it was too much of an expense. Ironically enough, the New Generation had much better Entrances than they do today.

The Post Attitude Era I was "okay" with. It was toned down from the Attitude Era, but still lacked a certain something. This was when Cena and Orton were introduced, yet clearly WWE was unprepared for the departures of Rock and Austin during this time period. Also, there was the start of lazy booking since WWE bought WCW and didn't have to compete anymore.

The PG Era is the absolute, most boring Era in WWE history. I can not put this product down enough, as it absolutely bores me to tears. If you don't want to do interesting characters, and you don't want to do storylines .... and instead you just want to focus on essentially just in-ring action, well I'm sorry, but that is just plain and simply boring. I don't view wrestling as a sport. I don't like Amateur wrestling. Why should I find the same guys wrestling each other for 3/4 times a month, and then wrestle again on PPV, and then wrestle the next 2-3 PPV's, entertaining?

For the record, I don't view this Era as necessarily a "Kiddie" Era like a lot of fans who complain, do. There are definitely some elements (Hornswoggle, Mysterio) to appeal to the Kids, but I don't feel it is solely targeted towards them. However, it really isn't aggressively targeted to anyone, and instead is simply watered down ... which I feel is the root of the problem. It's become too watered down to the point where it is simply boring.

Because of the intense focus on the in-ring wrestling, and making that it's #1 priority, that is why I make comparisons between this product (Smackdown and Superstars, especially) and Ring of Honor. ECW was also a very wrestling-focused product, however they seem to be moving more towards "Entertainment" again, which I think is a good move on their part. I am not fond of Ring of Honor, because what they emphasize was not what got me interested in wrestling. It was the characters, gimmicks, the managers (YES, the managers), storylines and feuds, AND the matches that got me into wrestling. Not JUST the matches. And I feel that all of that has been taken away over the years, which is why I am very unhappy with the current product. If some of those elements return, I will be a lot happier with the product.

But the PG Era is by far my least favorite Era in wrestling, plain and simply, because it is boring to me.

Man I totally 100% agree with "Lord Sidious" I would say he has the best reply..

In my opinion Attitde Era was the best followed by the post Attitude then the new generation.The Hogan and PG eras sucked/suck..I'am sorry to all of those little kid fans and parents that are/were fans in those eras but god they were horrible..

tuff too say i grew up during the hogan era and thats what made me watch but, the attitude/next genaration era's next generation i mean micheals razor diesel yoko brett taker were the best and the attitude era was the generation that i loved my fav is stone cold so that being said id go with attitude but why's everyone doging the hogan era? warrior,macho man, hulk, andre, honkey tonk man the rockers piper iron sheek hacksaw without the hogan era the wwe would be wrestling in my highschool gym!

my sister got me into wrestling during 2002.so iv been a fan from that time period on to today.my sister loved the era with hbk and brett the most.hates hogan.dosent hate the attitude era.just think it tarnished the wrestling business,she though all the great things that were wonderful about actually wrestling was replaced by over the top ridiculious story lines, crude language and nudity.i cant pick a favorite since i havent been around or known about wrestling long enough to form an opinion.

but i did like it from 02-05.

05-07 i thought was increasingly boring aside from a few ppv to a few matches.now that i think wwes got future main events locked into place and now that wwe realises their in a rut with there main even scene.hopefully the will work at that while not leaving the mid card picture with no talent left.there rebuilding and trying to get back on track

for me 08-now i think its slowly starting to get more interesting...aside from the guest host thing.i love the product today.smackdowns fresh with new superstars,fresh fueds.im actually starting to watch smackdown again which i haven since 04

ecw i could careless about.i figure,if somebody makes it big there.shouldnt be to long b4 they get drafted to ether raw or SD

raw to me i dont think has really changed much since i first started watching it.aside from the whole...pg thing.raw is still loaded with tons of promos.features crazy ideas everynow and then wether its celeberty appearances,giving away money,stone cold stunning vince....HHH,HHH,HHH,a live sex celebration:),weddings.u name it.raws usually the show that focuses on stuff like that.all the exciting and memorable moments have mostly all come from raw.which is why raw is still raw to me

I have to agree with mlola, in that just because a particular "Face" of an Era may change, that doesn't denote a "change in Era". What does denote a new Era is a change in style of programming content

The Generally accepted WWE Eras are:

The Hogan Era (1985-1994)

The New Generation (1994-1998)

The Attitude Era (1998-2001)

The Post Attitude Era (2001-2006)

The PG Era (2006-Present)

Note how there really was no real change in the type of programming between your listed "Ruthless Aggression", "Entertainment" and "Next Generation" Eras.

I liked the Attitude Era and Hogan Era equally, and the best, out of all the Eras. Two entirely different types of programming content, however I enjoyed them both immensely. I would like nothing more than for Raw to be a product representative of the Attitude Era and for Smackdown to be a product similar to the Hogan Era. I honestly don't know how people can make comparisons between the PG Era and the Hogan Era. I see very little, if any similarities between those 2 Eras, and I'm sure fans who followed wrestling back in the late 80's and early 90's would agree with that.

The New Generation was decent. Obviously the big difference with this Era was the introduction of even more over-the-top gimmicks, as well as the brand new lighting system for everyone's entrances. They were actually at one point bringing the lights to all House Shows, however that got cut out in a hurry once they figured they determined it was too much of an expense. Ironically enough, the New Generation had much better Entrances than they do today.

The Post Attitude Era I was "okay" with. It was toned down from the Attitude Era, but still lacked a certain something. This was when Cena and Orton were introduced, yet clearly WWE was unprepared for the departures of Rock and Austin during this time period. Also, there was the start of lazy booking since WWE bought WCW and didn't have to compete anymore.

The PG Era is the absolute, most boring Era in WWE history. I can not put this product down enough, as it absolutely bores me to tears. If you don't want to do interesting characters, and you don't want to do storylines .... and instead you just want to focus on essentially just in-ring action, well I'm sorry, but that is just plain and simply boring. I don't view wrestling as a sport. I don't like Amateur wrestling. Why should I find the same guys wrestling each other for 3/4 times a month, and then wrestle again on PPV, and then wrestle the next 2-3 PPV's, entertaining?

For the record, I don't view this Era as necessarily a "Kiddie" Era like a lot of fans who complain, do. There are definitely some elements (Hornswoggle, Mysterio) to appeal to the Kids, but I don't feel it is solely targeted towards them. However, it really isn't aggressively targeted to anyone, and instead is simply watered down ... which I feel is the root of the problem. It's become too watered down to the point where it is simply boring.

Because of the intense focus on the in-ring wrestling, and making that it's #1 priority, that is why I make comparisons between this product (Smackdown and Superstars, especially) and Ring of Honor. ECW was also a very wrestling-focused product, however they seem to be moving more towards "Entertainment" again, which I think is a good move on their part. I am not fond of Ring of Honor, because what they emphasize was not what got me interested in wrestling. It was the characters, gimmicks, the managers (YES, the managers), storylines and feuds, AND the matches that got me into wrestling. Not JUST the matches. And I feel that all of that has been taken away over the years, which is why I am very unhappy with the current product. If some of those elements return, I will be a lot happier with the product.

But the PG Era is by far my least favorite Era in wrestling, plain and simply, because it is boring to me.

I agree with what you said but I just made an Era in an Era if you know what I mean like the Ruthless Aggression Era was up until 2005 but it changed its faces so I consider it a different Era but that's just me anyways the PG Era just started this year you can clearly tell with there lack of swear words that this was a completely different Era.

I agree with what you said but I just made an Era in an Era if you know what I mean like the Ruthless Aggression Era was up until 2005 but it changed its faces so I consider it a different Era but that's just me

I hear ya. Probably just too many Eras in between that time period, when the programming content largely remained the same, but I hear what you are saying.

anyways the PG Era just started this year you can clearly tell with there lack of swear words that this was a completely different Era.

I'm going to have to disagree with that, only because the actual PG rating physically changed in 2008. However, I noticed a move towards PG programming beginning in the middle to later part of 2006, where WWE really began cleaning up their television product.

2006 was known for the Live Sex Celebration, which scored their highest rated segment since the Attitude Era (and I was actually there for that show in Hershey, PA). Then, in July, they had the Summer cookout where Triple H was simulating getting a BJ from under the table, when Candice Michelle came over and then simulated "getting eaten out" next to him from another girl under the table. But that was it as far as Edgy programming goes, and from there on out, everything began getting cleaned up from that point forward.

My opinion was simply that even though the rating physically changed last year, they were working towards trying to earn the PG rating back in the middle of 2006.

for me i gotta go with

Attitude Era:1998-2001 Best time to be a WWE fan we had Austin and Rock CLASSIC DX Taker was as evil as Satan man it was a awsome time

Post Attitude: 2002-2006 This was also a kick ass era of WWE Goldberg came in to WWE even it was for a short time he was here. Lesnar was pointless but was good to watch in some cases. Triple H was a heel for the entire time with Evolution. Cena was heel many kick ass things happend here

You missed the New Generation era, the likes of Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart. As a big HBK fan I guess you could say this was my favourite era. A lot of my favourite matches happened around this time, and a show that focuses on Shawn and Bret is a great one in my opinion.

That being said I don't hate any of the eras. I didn't watch through a majority of the 'Hogan era' at the time, as I was born in the middle of it, but I'd say that was probably the one I disliked the most, when I look back at matches from the time period. It's most likely a mix of not being a Hogan fan and not watching at the time as opposed to the era being 'bad' though.

I love the PG era. I hardly even notice the fact that it's 'PG'. If people don't like it, there is an amazingly simply solution to that - stop watching it.

As I have said many times, I love love love the Attitude Era. It was perhaps the funnest, greatest period for the WWE. I have to go with the Attitude Era or I wouldn't be doing myself justice. The New Generation Era was great too, a lot of awesome hystorical stuff went down during that era, but even more so in the Attitude Era. It was just a blast, a fun time for me to be a wrestling fan.

I don't care which era we are in as long as I see good storylines and matches. I really don't want to compare Hogan era to Attitude era or another era to another one they were all great and had different tastes. For me there is no point in comparing them. I enjoyed and loved all eras and absolutely love this era. I don't know is there something wrong with me or other people but I still love wrestling. I don't care if Miz is buried(which I think he is not) I don't care if Morrison will make it or not or I don't care why WWE can't use it's talent properly I just enjoy watching wrestling. Yeah there are some little things that I don't like about wrestling thing but those things can easily be ignored. So I love every era of wrestling maybe I sound like a huge WWE mark but at least I'm not a masochist that watch wrestling even though he always criticises and don't like wrestling.

The Attitude Era without a doubt.

The Attitude Era has given us some of the most iconic matches of all time and is on an equal par with the Hogan era when it comes to influence and impact. I started watching WWF when it was in the Attitude Era and I think that it has stuck with me since then. I loved all the characters that were around at that time and I don't think that the WWE will ever meet the same success that it got at the height of the Attitude Era. I think it was about the edgy story angles and the characters that were on show that really got me into pro-wrestling and it was never really any better than the Attitude Era.

I have been looking back over the pay per views of the Attitude Era and the main draw they had was that if you purchased it, you were going to be very entertained with at least one of the matches. Now it seems as though WWE are happy with the mediocre product that they are putting out. WWE need to look back at how they put on a show at any of the Attitude Era pay per views and I honestly think that the buy-rates would improve. So yeah, Attitude Era for me personally.

The attitude era is by the far the greatest era and I'm glad I was able to be fan of the WWE back then. The years of 98-01 were probably the most memorable when you look at the characters they had back then, the storylines, the matches, funny segments on just about every show etc. The years after that from 02-06 were still pretty good though, but overall I have to go with the attitude era.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back