• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Entrance Music

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
In my on-going look at the peripheral aspects of a professional wrestler's presentation, I want to take a look at Entrance Music. This is the 2nd installment of this assessment, with the first being my look at Catch Phrases. If you'd like to weight in on catch phrases, please visit here: http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?t=97457.

In this thread, I am looking to do the following:

1. How important is entrance music in professional wrestling?

2. What have been the most uses of entrance music in history?

3. Has entrance music enabled the under-talented to become successful?

4. What aspects of a character / match can be enhanced through entrance music?

There's an obivous one out there, and it's Steve Austin. I am taking that away from all of you because it's too easy. The shattering of the glass was a sound that made people go bat shit. It didn't really matter what came after- the sound of the glass signified that the working class hero had arrived to destroy something. I'll never forget Mick Foley's title win and the crowd reaction when Austin's music hit. It was awesome.

You may take it from here.

Outside of the most obvious one (Austin), I would say that entrance music has an absolutely massive effect on both the wrestlers credibility and the way that the audience greet them. The great thing about music, that most people will know, is that it can covey any emotion if it is done right. I think a wrestler who has a really great entrance music can do a lot before they even get in the ring or take hold of a microphone. Take for example, Hulk Hogan. His "I Am A Real American" music told a story before he even came out to the arena and people still go mad for it. It told of how he was an every day hero that the WWF wanted people to relate to. They made it strong and catchy so that people would remember it. It is all great little bits of musical psychology that the WWE know are going to be successful.

Outside of that, you can do anything with music and I think that the entrance music of superstars tells us a story. Take for example, Randy Orton. His music starts with "I hear Voices In My Head" and it tells you a little about the character of Rnady Orton. The same is true of Triple H, to some extent. The lyrics to Motorhead's "The Game", written for Triple H, tells of how Triple H is the man. He is the person that is always in control and the person that you should aspire to be. The story of Triple H's persona is encapsulated into this song and that is exactly why is works so fantastically well. I believe that Triple H's music is probably the best example of how a song can accompany a person with such ease and tell us exactly what we want to know.

The same goes for undercard talent. When people usually come to a wrestling promotion, they are given very generic music that doesn't do anything for them. However, when they are given a push, you can bet that they are going to get some lyrics and a more renowned sound. It just helps people to keep that person in mind and not just be branded into the "generic" category. I think that entrance music has a wonderful effect on people and the WWE definitely know what they are doing when they compose the music for their superstars. Jim Johnson has been a maestro for the WWE over the years and they have captured music for numerous superstars with varying success. However, for the most part, I would say that it has a massive effect.

Ok, I'll resign myself from the obvious ones for now, such being Hogan, The Rock, Austin, Triple H, etc. All of those guys gained something from their respective themes, which, as stated above, give insight to a character and help fans to rally behind them. Jim Johnson really is a creative genious, to be able to compose, mix, and work with all the talent on a constantly fluctuating roster to find the right musical fit for each character.

Obviously, entrance music isn't necessary to have pro wrestling, as even through the 80s there were a ton of guys with no theme music at all, yet had no problem getting over. However, as the product evolved into a more mainstream "sports-entertainment", the use of music is all the more needed. Each entertainer needs to be distinguished from all others, and entrance music is possibly the best way to separate a single star from the crowd. It really boosts the pop for the main eventers, and gives the so-called "rally point" to get behind an up and comer.

The best example of entrance music to me is Kurt Angle's, and this is for a variety of reasons. Also, I mean WWF/E Kurt Angle with the "You Suck!" chants and such. First of all, it fit his character. It isn't anything over the top with killer lyrics, rather a classical melody that reeks of American heroism, which perfectly fits Angle. The opening rif, one of the most crucial aspects to any theme, is instantly distinguishable from all others, something that successfully separates Angle from the rest of the locker room. Following this idea, it successfully ADDS to Angle's character, to the extent that a crowd chant formulated (credit Edge and WWE fans) around the theme.

This is perhaps the next key point to any theme, it has to add to the character, not diminish it. While it certainly might be difficult to diminish a character through music, it can be possible. Maybe the theme doesn't fit the guy, or maybe too many themes are too generic and blend in with each other. The whole concept of a theme is to single out any given star, not to create a blend of several interchangable characters with matching theme music. This would only confuse fans, and a confused fan can't find the "rally point", and without this, the superstars can't get over.

Another example I'm surprised nobody mentioned yet is the Undertaker. Quickly running through the list, it is noticable, definitely adds to the character, and separates Taker from the rest of the locker room. Again, Undertaker's dark organ themes are nothing too complicated, and have no lyrics (save for the Ministry version with the Latin inserted). Yet, these themes, especially the current version, are instantly associated with the Undertaker. Combine this with the lights going out and the church bell ringing and the Undertaker's over the top entrance is complete.

A good way to check if the music is successful or not is to simply remove it. Take a guy that you think has good music, or doesn't for that matter. Remove his entrance music, or his entrance entirely. Has the character diminished any? A little? Much more than you thought? Some guys would lose some of their style and gimmick without their entrance theme. Others might be viewed exactly the same. However, it is a good test to see how effective the particular theme actually is. Undertaker without his entrance theme loses some of his awe-inspiring presence. On the flip side, somebody like Drew McIntyre could have lost his 1st theme (not the new one) and some people might not have noticed.

There are a ton of themes that haven't been mentioned yet and are really good, if not in musical composition than in character placement. I'm not going to run down a list of them, but they are there. I'm sure people will get to them. Good thread.

Well, according to Self Destruction Of The Ultimate Warrior the guy was only popular because of his entrance theme, I reckon it did help, it was high adrenaline, got the crowd pumped even before he ran down to the ring and waved his arms everywhere. As soon as that music started pumping, people knew he was coming to the ring, same as the Glass Breaking, the Car Crashing or The Rock cooking.

Excuse me while I go off into my own world for a while. . .

Okay anyway, to answer some of your points

How important is entrance music?

I'd say very important, wrestling isnt so much about doing moves as it is about having some kind of unique character that fans can get behind, having a unique entrance music can really, really help that.

Has entrance music enabled under talented to become successfull?

I suppose you'd have to define undertalented, but no, no amount of entrance music can disguise a lack of talent, I dont care what anyone says. At the end of the day, whether you like them or not, the vast majority, I am talking 99.99% of wrestlers that have made it to the top have been talented enough. Thats why their at the top, the only reason someone may think they are untalented is because their definition of talent is a little bit wrong, or its just plain bias. Popular is popular at the end of the day.

I believe it does play a factor in a wrestler's career. Look at Drew Mcyntire, he started out with generic-crap music. Now he had a music change and it actually gives more anxiety to actually look at his entrance than when he had the old music.

I think it doesn't enable a music talent to become successful to a full extent because their mic skills and mat skills play a higher factor in that. It does help though like I stated above with Drew.

Well it enhances the gimmick the wrestler uses like Randy Orton's theme song Voices. It makes you think that he is crazy and that is his gimmick.

How important is entrance music in professional wrestling?

The wrestler's theme music really does help get the crowd up and going.As people have said when Austin music hit the crowd went nuts.Some people would say it's cause it's Austin, well yeah it is the fact that he is coming out.But if you watch a tape of him after he change his music IMO I don't think that he gets the same negative reactition.So yeah I think that it is important cause the crowd knows who's coming and they get ready to cheer/boo them.

Has entrance music enabled the under-talented to become successful?
I don't really know, I think that maybe it could have some affect with the crowd jmping out of their seats to see a guy come out.Like when Y2J came into the WWF, he had the clock.It would count down and then you would hear, break the walls.That was a great start and gave impact to his entrance and made it succesful.I can't say that Jericho was only successful because of his music.But I do think that it may have helped when he arrived, or it may have been the fact that he did it against the Rock!

What aspects of a character / match can be enhanced through entrance music?
The wrestler that has a certain "gimmick" needs a certain music/entrance.If Rock didn't have "If You Smell" then people would have to think about who was coming out.That was really obivous that it was him and the fans could cheer and jump up and down.And the fact that he used it as a chatch phrase, made it better.In matchs if a wrestler runs down and attacks a guy I do think it's better if they don't have music.But matchs are enhanced by using music I just don't like it.But IMO I like just a run down.When the crowd hears the music of someone like Kane and you hear the BOOM.The people go "Oh shit it's Kane" it adds excitment to the match and is he really coming down or not.An example would be Austin vs RVD in a match and Angles music hit and the crowd went nuts.But no Angle he never came out and RVD got the pin on Austin because he was looking for Angle.Then it hit again, and he came out.Just great fusion and made the match better.

My Thoughts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back