The Dustin Rhodes/Seven WCW Worked Shoot

Low_Ki

Former WZCW Tag Team Champion
Title pretty self explanatory here.

My issue with this whole thing was that I remember the first time I watched it. Whether Dustin believed what he said or not, Goldust was seriously over in the late 90's. People can choose to disagree with me, but his character was bizarre enough to generate a heap of interest, but I digress.

I saw the vignettes for Seven. Waiting outside little kids rooms to frighten them and all that. Then, from what we hear afterwards, the network (i.e. Ted Turner) decided that he didn't want to run with the Seven gimmick because of the effect on little Jimmies.

Yet on Nitro they still introduced Rhodes/Uncle Fester as Seven, and then, in true Russo style, Dustin went 'rogue'. It was actually quite believable. Until he bashed the Goldust character, and then it all went to shit. The gimmick probably wouldn't have got over anyway, considering WCW already had their 'Undertaker' in Sting. And we all know what happens when you try and introduce two characters that are TOO similar (anyone remember Mordacai, yeah that dude. The albino with the white stick).

He then went on and became The American 'Nightmare' Dustin Rhodes, which at the time I thought was pretty cool.

I guess I should get to the point. A couple of things.

Would the Seven gimmick, had they given it the time got over? Why/why not?

What were your opinions of the worked shoot idea stemming from the shelving of the gimmick?

Give the difficulties that WCW were having getting new main eventers into the fold, could The American Nightmare gimmick have gotten over to main event status, or in your opinion was Dustin simply only destined for the mid-card?

It may be just me but I was always a fan of Dustin's work. I believe that goldust could of an should of been in the main event.

As for seven I had totally forgotten about it so I had to get on YouTube an look it up. Now I believe that seven could of worked if given the right amount of time. Could you just pick the match of seven an sting. I believe that would of been a good fued.

Now as for the shoot interview. I don't believe they ever had any plan on using seven. I think this was just a way for Russo to shove it back to Vince that he created goldust an he could destroy it if he wanted to.

Good topic you had here shocked noone has said anything on it

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back