The Death Slot

Mac Attack

I'm neat.
In the television business it is a little known fact there are some spots during the week that are beneficial and others that well are made to kill a show. Usually it is said that Friday night at 8pm is generally the place shows go to die. Most recently the show Chuck was moved into that position for its future fall season. Friday nights are supposed to be the night where everyone goes out and do not watch television which ultimately kills ratings which then gets the show cancelled. Historically speaking we have seen shows die in this slot and we have naturally seen this slot have week ratings.

My question is: Is this slot truly the Death Slot?

Is there a different slot that is even worse?

Placing a show on a friday evening does sound like a death slot to me. That's arguably the worst time to put a show because that's when the least number of people will be watching. The younger crowd will be out on dates, at parties or with friends. Older people might not even be awake. Families could be spending time together. Most demographics are likely to be busy. The rest of the week is a different story but friday evenings, especially around 8pm, appears to be the worst time to place a show due to most people not likely to watch during that time. It does earn the name of the death slot if you ask me.

I doubt it. Isn't that when Friday Night Smackdown is on? Back when I was a kid, this timeslot was more Prime Time than the rest of the week. And for kid's it still is. 8pm is still a fairly early time. Older people will still be awake. Saturday afternoon, about 6pm sounds worse. Saturdays are also for going out and not just for teens and young adults, but for older ones and kids too. This is typically when people throw birthday parties, picnics go to the beach and such as well as your standard weekend partying. In my eyes, there's more viewers available on Friday than Saturday.

I read somewhere that some companies were considering making Friday nights there most important night like it was back in the mid-late nineties. So much so that ABC is looking to revamp the "Thank God it's Friday" theme. I forget the name of the chairman or whoever is was but he definitely said they were looking in to it and were expecting to have a bunch of pilots geared towards the mid teens-late twenties demographic. He said the economy was having a big effect on how many people were going out as compared to just a few years ago. I don't know if he actually had any evidence or if it shows in the Neilsen ratings but that's what I've heard.

Personally I don't go out just on Friday's as I don't work the week/have the weekend off. I work a very varied schedule so I just go out whenever I have time. So I probably watch just as much t.v. on Friday nights as I do other nights. I do think more people go out on Friday nights in general but it seems like television companies often kill the shows that have promise just as much as they kill the ones that suck. If they didn't like a certain show they'd probably move it to Friday nights in hope of getting low enough ratings to end it.

So all in all, I don't think it matters where a show ends up. If the company wants to pull the plug they will.

Placing a show on a friday evening does sound like a death slot to me. That's arguably the worst time to put a show because that's when the least number of people will be watching. The younger crowd will be out on dates, at parties or with friends. Older people might not even be awake.Families could be spending time together. Most demographics are likely to be busy. The rest of the week is a different story but friday evenings, especially around 8pm, appears to be the worst time to place a show due to most people not likely to watch during that time. It does earn the name of the death slot if you ask me.

It is really nice to see your views.I am delighted to see it.Now i will watch this show in spare time with my friends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back