The Damn Spear

Mistaap

Dark Match Winner
What the hell is going on with everyone using this move? The Spear worked with Goldberg and thats where it should have stopped. Right Now, Bobby Lashley, Edge, and Batista are all using this move as a finisher.

First of all, The spear as a finisher does not work for Edge because he is not big enough. It does not sell move well. He should use it, but not to get the 1 2 3 Edge should use his DDT or his Leg Lock as finishers. (I can't Remember the names, I think its the Edgecution and the Edgacator)

As for Lashley, He is big enough and quick enough to use it, But I think it should be the move that leads up to his Real Finisher (ala Goldberg)

Batista needs to just quit using the move altogether, he is slower than the other two and it just does not look right.

What do you guys think>

I would definately agree with you on the point that the spear has been very overused over the last 5 or so years, but I don't think it's anything that's really blatantly obvious, I mean I didn't even think about it until you started this thread.

Edge I agree has a rather weak looking spear, but you don't need to be a big guy to pull off a spear. Edge used to pull of the spear great, the key is to get kind of a running start and have the move come out of nowhere, but now Edge just crouches in the corner telling the world "Hey, I'm about to go for the spear guys!" and doesn't get a real good running start. When he was first using the move, he mastered it perfectly, and it was always the best spear in the business (yes, better then Goldberg's as well).

Goldberg...meh. The only good thing the guy ever did was keep WCW afloat for a while longer then it really should have. Decent wrestler, not as bad as some make him out to be, but still good enough to make a challenge for a world title (especially when you think of hacks like Lashley, Khali and Batista running around for the World Titles in WWE right now).

Lashley does the move nicely as well...but it's kinda pointless. Once he expands his moveset a bit, gets some mic skills (he's absolute garbage whenever he opens his mouth) and is thrown into a feud he can perform well in (against another amateur wrestling type guy, like Benoit. Their match on RAW the other night was the best I've ever seen Lashley do) and the guy will be believable and enjoyable in the main event. At the moment however, the man is just terrible.

Also, you forgot about Marcus Cor Von (Monty Brown), his move isn't exactly a spear, but god damn is it devastating the way he just charges them like a defensive end in football and knocks them 5 feet in the air and onto their ass.

Still though...nothing better then the good ol' Gore for me. Remember when Rhino first came into the WWE? My god, that spear looked like it broke every one of his opponent's ribs, that move looked insanely painful.

Yeah I remember when Rhino first started Goring people. That looked like it hurt like hell.. and Heyman was selling the hell out of it too.

The Pounce is one of my favoite moves for the same reason I liked Rhino's Gore.. It just hurts to watch. I always Tivo ECW and rewind it everytime he hits that thing. He should get a push from his move alone, just like Sugar Shane Helms did in WCW.

Also your Lashley comment is so funny because I pray on every Raw that they do not give him a mic.. He just sounds so different than he looks. But what really pisses me off about him is when he interups someone talking.. Does his 3 minute entrance with the 2 sets of pyro.. He grabs the mic, waits for the crowd to simmer down and then says two words and stares them down.,. GOD I HATE THAT.

I think your missing the point. A finishing move is suppose to be recognizable and bring some excitement into the match. Goldberg, Batista, Lashley.. none of them have successfully done this. You also need it to look painful. It doesn't take strength to do this. Goldberg's spear was a joke. Edge, however, is one of the few wrestlers who does this properly. The crowd knows he is setting up for it, not one person in that arena is sitting down and it looks good.

Edge has been using the Spear for quite awhile. Probably before Batista even thought of learning how to wrestle (look at how that turned out). Lashley and Batista probably use it because they can't learn how to do any other actual Wrestling moves. Face it. When you're 6'5 and 290 pounds, you're not going to be able to do much. Batista and Lashley can't do much else, so they're probably going to keep it. Whether or not you think the move is credible, Edge has been using it for years, and I doubt he'll stop.

The move, in my mind, is so overused. If anybody outside of WWE would try to bring it in as a finisher, they'd get boo'ed. The debate at hand in my opinion is who used it first: Rhino or Goldberg? I don't think Goldberg debuted until 1998, and by then Rhino was almost a top star in ECW, or wherever the hell he was at the time. I believe Rhino made it popular, but the Spear today is just too over-hyped and over-used in my opinion.

Edge's spear is more for show now. Him posing in the corner is no different then HBK tuning up the band. I agree though, I think Edge's spear, when hit correctly, is the best looking spear in the business bar none.

I don't mind Lashley's spear to be honest. I really really really think this guy has a shit ton of potential to be something huge. I really really really want him to go heel this summer with Heyman as his mouth piece and take down John Cena. I absolutely loved the match with Benoit on Raw last week. Benoit is awesome, I know. It kinda looked like two guys really fighting each other. Neither wanted to be too aggressive in the lock ups, I thought it looked really natural in there.

Rhino's Gore is sick too. and so is the pounce, even though it is a variation and not a true spear. So really, you have 4 guys using the spear, but all four are on different brands, so it's not that bad. Edge really needs to have something a little more devastating, I was always a fan of the Edgecution and Edgucator. I'm guessing the Impaler DVD is probably banned, since it involves the body going off the ground and driving the head into the mat.

I remember a time when ryno gored someone and straight up made them do a backflip from the impact lol...and the Monty brown pounce is friggin sick too, although ive seen it all of one time (shows how much they are utilizing the guy on ecw..nice...0 yea I dont know i remem when you had to be pretty bad ass to have the spear now all these guys do it...out of all of them, i think lashley should have it, he has the most COMBO of power and speed to pull it off, and he just sprta reminds me of goldberg, ala powerful, sick entrance, black ring gear....and I agree with the posters saying he should use it for a lead in to his special...he needs a better finisher too...fuck it lets just give him the jackhammer and call it a day lol

Goldberg's spear was a joke.

Are you kidding me? To me that looks like it hurts a hell of a lot more then Edge's, Batista's and Lashley's. It may not have been as realistic but it looks like it could have gave broken ribs. Honestly I like Edge's spear but I don't think it was as good as Goldberg's.

However in response to the first post, yes this move is being done so often and its worse because everyone (cept edge) does it so bad. I do believe I saw the spear done that looked good by Batista once. This proves that there is a God who does perform miracles.
As for Lashley, he is so big. If someone could show him how to do the spear then that would be kickass.
The spear as a finisher does not work for Edge because he is not big enough
And I quote "Oh its true. Its DAMN true" (Kurt Angle). However the spear does work for Edge. He has a great way of performing the spear despite not being big enough. If you have the technique then you don't need too much power. For example, if you poke somebody in the eyes, you just need to get the technique right and bam! they're blind. However if you have power but you don't no what you're doing you might poke them in the nose and that won't blind them.

So the spear is too overused by too many people who cannot use it. I personally wouldn't mind seeing all the people do it, AS LONG AS they learn HOW to do it. By the way that last sentence was not about sex.

Rhyno will probably go down in history as one of the best to perform a spear in the a wrestling ring. He used to kill people with The Gore and he still does. Today Monty Brown's Pounce is just killing guys he steps in the ring with but then again it's not really an actual spear. Lashley looks like he's just running into somebody by mistake when he spears anyone, the same with Batista. Who the hell told Batista to start running when he can barely lift guys for a powerbomb nowadays? Edge's spear should be respected 2nd to Rhyno's as Edge has been delivering his spear for a long time. Sorry, I just hate Goldberg all around.

I Agree that the spear is way overused....as a finisher. If the just stop refering to it as a finisher then everything would be fine. (except for Rhyno who calls it the GORE and hits it better then anyone) The move should be as common as a vertical suplex. It's easy to understand fast power impact. Easy, pop. But, it's not really a finisher pop anymore, it's a hey he did that move pop. What I mean is it gets the same level of reaction as benoit's hat trick, it just doesn't last as long. Lashley,Batista, Edge, DOMINATOR, BATISTA BOMB, EDGE-ACUTION (Which was never an impaler anything; the Impaler was Christian's move which he now calls the unprettier. The implant ddt was Gangrel's finisher when the brood still existed. I believe the announcers meerly confused this because of the Edge-acution. By the way the Edge-acution was at one time called the Buzzkiller.) Anyway back to the point. They have established finishers. I'd even be willing to let Lashley switch to the running powerslam if his using the actual Dominator upsets Farooq in some way. The Alpha Male's Pounce is a shoulder block so it doesn't belong in this discussion. It's a wikked shoulder block but that's still what it is. Goldberg sucks period. Finally, just because no one has mentioned it, does anyone remember what move Big Show got alot of use out of before he lost the belt to Lashley and retired? If you guessed spear congratulations.

Edge usually borrows someone else's finisher every few years: downward spiral = flatliner, edgecution = implant ddt/impaler, spear = everyone. Bobby Lashley should come up with a new finisher. Rhino was born to do the gore/spear, he's a truck.

Oh yeah, and Batista only does the spear when he can't powerbomb the opponent aka viscera, big show, umaga, khali, etc... You can say Goldberg sucks, but at least he held The Giant up in the Jackhammer for at least a few seconds before slamming him. Although a suplex move or fireman's carry move (the FU) may be easier to do than a powerbomb, Batista should at least have another finisher or power signature move to finish the job on the big guys. The spinebuster works, but i agree, the man is too slow and awkward for a spear.

You can say Goldberg sucks, but at least he held The Giant up in the Jackhammer for at least a few seconds before slamming him. Although a suplex move or fireman's carry move (the FU) may be easier to do than a powerbomb, Batista should at least have another finisher or power signature move to finish the job on the big guys.

What the hell are you talking about? This thread is about the spear. Goldberg is too awkward and clumsy to pull off a half decent spear. Does Edge have the best spear? Hell no. Not by a long shot.. but his spear is the most exciting. It brings every person in that arena to their feet. He is the only man that can use that as a finisher and get away with it

Alright I think I have said somewhere before that I have always been a Huge Goldberg fan. But as far as the spear... I think that Rhyno does perform the best spear (Gore). But I think Goldberg is in a pretty close second, with edge coming in at third... after that it really gets pathetic... Lashley... he just cant do it, I think his shoulders are actually too muscular... or something is wrong, because when Lashley hits it, he looks like he is barely even making contact! and then Batista, well he cant do a spear very well either... its pretty sad. Now... onto the newest member of the SPEAR team... CANDICE (FREAKIN) MICHELE... did anyone notice that? i mean you should have, when i opened this thread, thats what I thought it was going to be about, because JR's exact words when candice hit it was... "THE DAMN SPEAR" Anyways, if you saw it then you know my disgust... it may have been the poorest performed spear I have ever seen, On both ends, mind you, because (Although i cant remember who she was) her oponent didnt sell it worth a sh*t! but candice also hit her with an impact the likes of which havent been seen since watching carebears...

Anyways, what did everyone think of that? and is WWE goin to make that her finisher? I for one liked the rollover kick thing... (Dont know the real name) that she had been using, but when i saw the SPEAR... I really was like "Oh come on... dont water down this move anymore!"

Edge changed his finishing move about the time when he speared Hardy of the Ladder in the Tag Match at WM so it makes sense for him to use it.

Yeah, the spear has been played out. They even had Candice Michelle doing it a couple of weeks ago. That's pretty much the low point of it for me. But as far as Goldberg's spear, his looked awesome because he had alot of guys selling it as such. Remember, when he did it to Hogan or The Giant, it looked like shit. But when he did it to Raven or smaller guys, they would jump in the air to make the impact greater. It's all about the sell guys. It's all about the sell. lol

Edge changed his finishing move about the time when he speared Hardy of the Ladder in the Tag Match at WM so it makes sense for him to use it.

Actually, Edge started using it about the time that he broke away from The Brood and turned face. It was started as a Goldberg spoof as it was never intented to be taken seriously as Edge's finisher. But he runs in with such intensity that he sold it very well. So it stuck with him.

Ok WWE has the chance of a lifetime. With the whole limo blowing up angle. I dont know if anyone has realized that it is the 10 anniversery to the Montreal screwjob. What better way for Bret to have got his revenge. The was I see it. At Survivor Series Bret comes out as the colprit. Thus starting a war against the Mcmahons. Who better to accompany Bret in his war then. Teddy Hart. Nedi Neidhart and Harry Smith with Bret as manager. THE NEW HARTFOUNDATION.

OK, first and foremost, let me just go ahead and agree that the spear is highly over used. BUT, I will make mention of the the fact that ANY, tackle take down that remotely resembles a typical American Football tackle (arms wrapped around the midsection and take down to the ground) is considered a spear. So, the name Spear is over used in itself and so is the move. The only person to add a twist to the name is Rhyno. Hands down, Rhyno executes the spear or Gore, better then anybody to ever use the damn move. I'm not talking about this TNA Gore shit either. I'm talking, deep down, back in the day, in E.C.W. into when he made his run in WWE.

Two things come to mind when someone does a spear. Not only the execution of the move, but the person selling the move. Now, given those two factors, look at the difference between people that take Lashley's spear, Batistas, Goldberg's spear... you'll find that most of these people are already horrible at selling the move. Edge has used it for a while, and I don't know if anyone else knows this, but Edge and Rhyno are very good friends, Edge has played the mid-card for a long long long time, so his spears have been dished out to people that can sell, making him a close second. Rhyno, however, gets the big nod on this as the Best, because in E.C.W. everyone, and I mean everyone, took that extra step in making the move look like they were just "folded in half like an accordion."

I agree with you D.C., but if we're taking into account the people on the receiving end of the spear, wouldn't that make goldberg's better? I mean, edge does it ok, and he gets people to sell it for him. TGoldberg on the other hand have to do it all by himself, because, as mentioned, he didn't really have opponents that sell very well. Even then, goldberg's spears look good.

Rhino gets the gore hands down. Can't really see the beauty in Edge's spear though. Personally, the move went downhill when he started using it.

I agree that Edge using the spear kindof takes away from the move,
especially on bigger opponents.

But what about Lashley?

Sure he's a big muscular man,
but is it just me or does he seem to botch the move quite a bit?

Whoever is announcing the match always yells spear when Lashley does it,
but half the time it ends up looking like a messed up shoulder block.

When CM Punk entered WWE they didn't allow him to do his indie finisher because it resembled that of Triple H.

The same should apply to almost any oher finisher.

Only one person in WWE should be doing the spear,
Lashley should stick with the dominator or what have you,
Batista should stick with the Batista bomb,
and Edge should use the spear.

Personally I prefer the Edgecution,
but that's more of a set-up move now.

i think the sickest spear was when rhyno did it. i remember one specific spear on jeff hardy, i think he was wearing a green top, that absolutely turned him inside out. i think it might have been rhynos wwe debut, that definitely made an impact.

i actually kinda like the fact that a not so huge guy like Edge uses it. i think its feasible that a smaller guy can take down a larger guy with a spear and tell me it doesnt look cool as hell when that happens.

but on paper, lashley should have the spear. it just didnt turn out that way. and i agree lashley has a shitload of talent deep down, he still has a lot to learn.

I agree with you D.C., but if we're taking into account the people on the receiving end of the spear, wouldn't that make goldberg's better? I mean, edge does it ok, and he gets people to sell it for him. TGoldberg on the other hand have to do it all by himself, because, as mentioned, he didn't really have opponents that sell very well. Even then, goldberg's spears look good.

Rhino gets the gore hands down. Can't really see the beauty in Edge's spear though. Personally, the move went downhill when he started using it.

Are you kidding dude? Goldberg probably had the best guys selling for him during his 100 win streak. he had guys like Raven, Saturn, every other guy in the Flock, and every mid to low carder that WCW could toss at him. They sold awesomely for him, especially Raven.:raven: The guys would jump in the air and take the hit flush to the midsectionand flop back, making the move look that much more impactive. It was like watching Cassidy Riley take The Pounce from Monty Brown. I think that Hogan and Brian Adams are the only two guys that didn't sell Goldberg's spear well. Other than that, it was the only one of two moves that he actually did well. lol :farttorch:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back