The Daily Current Event

Mac Attack

I'm neat.
I'm creating this thread in hopes of bringing people more news on the current events of the world. Each day I will be posting a current event in this thread with something relevant in the world. It could be on any topic of any importance however I think it will be quite interesting. Also I will be giving my brief opinion on the current event. Also feel free to comment on the event yourself. Also the spoiler tags are just to keep the entire post a little shorter.

Current Event May 3rd 2011

European producer-price inflation unexpectedly accelerated to the fastest in 2 1/2 years in March, adding to concerns that surging energy costs will feed through to consumers and prompt the European Central Bank to raise interest rates further.

Factory-gate prices in the euro region jumped 6.7 percent from a year earlier, the fastest since September 2008, after a 6.6 percent gain in February, the European Union’s statistics office in Luxembourg said today. Economists had projected a March increase of 6.6 percent, according to the median of 13 estimates in a Bloomberg news survey. In the month, prices advanced 0.7 percent.

European companies are trying to pass on higher input costs, including a 31 percent oil-price jump in the past year, just as the economic recovery appears to be faltering. That has helped push consumer-price inflation above the ECB’s 2 percent limit. The central bank last month raised interest rates for the first time in almost three years.

“Pipeline inflation pressures in the euro zone remain intense,” said Martin van Vliet, an economist at ING Groep NV in Amsterdam. “The risk of high consumer-price inflation spilling over into wages will keep the ECB in a tightening state of mind.”

10-Year Bonds
German 10-year bonds fell after the producer-price data. The 10-year yield rose three basis points to 3.28 percent as of 10:04 a.m. in London. The euro was lower against the dollar, trading at $1.4804, down 0.2 percent.

Consumer-price inflation accelerated to the fastest in more than two years in April and confidence in the economic outlook weakened as higher energy prices threatened to undermine growth. Euro-area expansion will slow to 1.6 percent this year from 1.8 percent in 2010, the European Commission forecast last month.

“We have risks of second-round effects here and there,” ECB President Jean-Claude Trichet said in a newspaper interview last week, referring to an increase in consumer prices prompting bigger wage increases that feed through to faster inflation.

MAN SE, Europe’s third-largest truckmaker, is monitoring the risk of accelerating inflation in Europe, as well as in China and Brazil, with price increases “something to watch” in all its markets, Chief Financial Officer Frank Lutz said today in an interview on Bloomberg Television’s “On the Move” with Francine Lacqua.

Benchmark Rate
ECB policy makers, who increased the benchmark rate by a quarter point to 1.25 percent last month, next convene on May 5 in Helsinki. Some economists expect them to signal that another move will come as soon as June.

Energy prices at the producer level jumped 13 percent in March from a year earlier and the cost of intermediate goods rose 7.9 percent, the statistics office said in today’s report.

I'm not thrilled by this. I think the European Union having the same currency this hurts mulitple countries. The act of rasing interest rates also hurts the banking industry. This is devastating news to the European Union. I think it should easily blow off but for the time being I think that this is a problem that needs to be addressed. The spiked energy costs aren't good for the enrgy industry and I think the Eu should definetly look to fix this as soon as possible.

Current Event May 4th
It's one of the best kept secrets in all of entertainment: who will be Oprah Winfrey's final guest, ever? With only 20 days left until the the May 25 finale, friends of the talk queen hint that the leading candidate at the moment is the biggest star in the world ... Oprah herself!

"How can one celebrity possibly sum up 25 years of such a groundbreaking show?" an insider asks. "Who could possibility come on the show and represent everything Oprah has done" from celebrity interviews, to human-interest stories to politics to women's issues to breaking news.

She's done it all, my source says, and "only one person could do that and that is Oprah herself."

Oprah has spoken before of her love of the final episode of 'The Mary Tyler Moore Show,' where Mary turned out the lights and left. Is she planning something in that vein? Perhaps, especially since the third and second to last shows (May 23-24) are going to be star-studded affairs in what producers have dubbed "Surprise Oprah! A Farewell Spectacular."

The free shows, being held at Chicago's United Center on May 17, will include "some of the biggest names in movies, music and television in a one-time-only gathering to celebrate the 25-year legacy [of the show]."

Best of all, viewers will be treated to something they rarely see: a surprised Oprah.

"As most of our viewers know, being surprised is not one of Oprah's favorite things," said Harpo executive producer Sheri Salata. "In the spirit of our farewell season, she is making a rare exception and we intend to make the most of that opportunity. It will be something to see!"

Since those episodes will clearly be chocked full of stars, glitz, balloons and freaked-out audience members, show insiders tell me that Oprah may want to go out for good in a more understated, introspective way.

"Her last show will look back at some of her most important and favorite moments from her show," a source says, not surprisingly. "But at the end of the day the show will end where it started. A woman with a microphone looking into a camera and trying to make the world a better place."

So when looking up an interesting article to look up today I saw Oprah's final guest and thought that it was an appropriate segway from all the drama happening in the world right now. Oprah has been an icon for several years and suprisngly her last guest couild be a big thing. Will I be watching it? No however a lot of people will. Personally I feel an appropriate guest would be Obama because of the sucess he has recently come into. I don't really know anyone bigger than a President.

But that was the current event of May 4th.

NEW YORK – Solemnly honoring victims of the Sept. 11 terror attacks, President Barack Obama hugged survivors, thanked the heroes of one of the nation's darkest days and declared Thursday that the killing of Osama bin Laden after all these years was an American message to the world: "When we say we will never forget, we mean what we say."

On a brilliant blue-sky day, one of reflection more than celebration, Obama offered New Yorkers a moment of their own. Standing at the gritty construction site of ground zero, where the towers fell and a memorial now rises, the president laid a wreath of red, white and blue flowers for the nearly 3,000 who died as he marked a turning point for the nation and this city of steely resilience.

For Obama, the day was about the importance of being in New York in the aftermath of the successful raid to find and kill bin Laden, the al-Qaida leader. Obama addressed families who have watched and wondered for nearly a decade whether the government would track down its most infamous enemy.

On this special ground, Obama never mentioned bin Laden's name.

Still, this was where the terrorist inflicted his greatest damage on a similarly sunny day in 2001 when hijacked airliners were crashed into the World Trade Center. Nearly 200 other people died when a third airliner hit the Pentagon — Vice President Joe Biden led a ceremony there on Thursday, and Bush Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld attended — and others.

I personally don't know how appropriate it is to count our chickens before they are hatched. I know that the end of the life of Osama is something to be celebrated however immediatly honoring the September 11 attack I personally think aren't necessarily appropriate yet. Why? Because we don't want to seem exposed to another attack. The truth is people feel some redemption from the attack and if a terrorist wanted to strike at the heart of the United States now is the time.

I haven't had time to read through these posts, but I want to say that I think you're doing a good job in creating threads for people to read and contribute to. I would rep you if I could.

NEW YORK – Solemnly honoring victims of the Sept. 11 terror attacks, President Barack Obama hugged survivors, thanked the heroes of one of the nation's darkest days and declared Thursday that the killing of Osama bin Laden after all these years was an American message to the world: "When we say we will never forget, we mean what we say."

On a brilliant blue-sky day, one of reflection more than celebration, Obama offered New Yorkers a moment of their own. Standing at the gritty construction site of ground zero, where the towers fell and a memorial now rises, the president laid a wreath of red, white and blue flowers for the nearly 3,000 who died as he marked a turning point for the nation and this city of steely resilience.

For Obama, the day was about the importance of being in New York in the aftermath of the successful raid to find and kill bin Laden, the al-Qaida leader. Obama addressed families who have watched and wondered for nearly a decade whether the government would track down its most infamous enemy.

On this special ground, Obama never mentioned bin Laden's name.

Still, this was where the terrorist inflicted his greatest damage on a similarly sunny day in 2001 when hijacked airliners were crashed into the World Trade Center. Nearly 200 other people died when a third airliner hit the Pentagon — Vice President Joe Biden led a ceremony there on Thursday, and Bush Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld attended — and others.

I personally don't know how appropriate it is to count our chickens before they are hatched. I know that the end of the life of Osama is something to be celebrated however immediatly honoring the September 11 attack I personally think aren't necessarily appropriate yet. Why? Because we don't want to seem exposed to another attack. The truth is people feel some redemption from the attack and if a terrorist wanted to strike at the heart of the United States now is the time.
Well waiting for 9/11 for the honoring would seem even more out of place. Osama's death avenged the events of that day. Which day do you think should be honored? The one everyone's loved one's were lost or the one where all of that was finally avenged? Regardless of the issues still happening in the Orient, a major victory is is still a major victory and should not go ignored. The same way those fallen one's shouldn't.

Well waiting for 9/11 for the honoring would seem even more out of place. Osama's death avenged the events of that day. Which day do you think should be honored? The one everyone's loved one's were lost or the one where all of that was finally avenged? Regardless of the issues still happening in the Orient, a major victory is is still a major victory and should not go ignored. The same way those fallen one's shouldn't.

Personally I just have this weird feeling that they shouldn't have a grand celebration which included Obama walking around Ground Zero in the open. I don't mind the remembering but I personally would have waited to do somenthing where both the President and Vise Presidet are in the same spot in the open. I would give it a little before we know there is really no sign of revenge before doing something like this.

May 6th

Violent clashes broke out around the world today as thousands of supporters of Osama bin Laden took to the streets to protest at the Al-Qaeda leader's death.
While many protests took place across the Muslim world, the most extraordinary - and violent - took place in London, where hundreds of supporters have gathered at the U.S. embassy to stage a mock 'funeral service' for the slain terror leader.
The city - dubbed London-istan - was described earlier this week as a major recruiting ground for Al Qaeda.

Muslim protesters clash with police outside the American Embassy in London

A radical Muslim argues with one police officer as other officers attempt to control the protests
Dozens of police officers struggled with protesters who tried to storm the embassy with radicals carrying placards proclaiming that 'Islam will dominate the world' and branding U.S. leaders 'murderers'.
'It is only a matter of time before another atrocity - the West is the enemy,' Abu Muaz, 28, from east London, said.
The protest comes amid heightened security in London fearing revenge attacks by Al-Qaeda.
Over the past decade, the meida reported that London had become a 'feeding ground for hate' and a 'magnet for terrorism'.
The large Muslim community who live there are said to exploit civil liberties and openly preach jihad.
In fact, recent leaked documents showed that Britain's mosques became an international haven for extremists who enjoyed state benefits while being trained for terrorism.

The WikiLeaks files, written by U.S. military chiefs, revealed that at least 35 Guantanamo terrorists were radicalised in London mosques before being sent to fight against the West.

This is believed to be more than any other Western country.
Of these, just 17 were British nationals or had been granted asylum, while 18 had travelled from abroad – cementing Britain’s reputation as a global training camp for terrorists.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...funeral-outside-US-Embassy.html#ixzz1LbDgQGjI

I told you in my last post that it was not the end and now it looks like I am right. People protesting the death. It seems very interesting and I know that we will not see the end of this for a bit. I am intrigued to see what will happen in the future and I think it will only get worse before it gets better. I think I would have high alert for all the airports and main national monuments because of the outrage people seem to be in.

Oh what a surprise, idiots acting like idiots. Most of whom are probably living on benefits provided by the Western world they proclaim to hate so much. Anyone preaching ANYTHING which incites any type of racial or religious hatred should be arrested on the spot. At the end of last year we had someone fined for burning a poppy on 11/11. This year we had someone jailed for burning the Qu'ran. Why is this not along those same lines? They're doing something solely for the purpose of causing trouble, upset and pain. If burning poppys and Qu'rans is an illegal offence so is this and they should all be locked up.

Oh what a surprise, idiots acting like idiots. Most of whom are probably living on benefits provided by the Western world they proclaim to hate so much. Anyone preaching ANYTHING which incites any type of racial or religious hatred should be arrested on the spot. At the end of last year we had someone fined for burning a poppy on 11/11. This year we had someone jailed for burning the Qu'ran. Why is this not along those same lines? They're doing something solely for the purpose of causing trouble, upset and pain. If burning poppys and Qu'rans is an illegal offence so is this and they should all be locked up.

I totally agree. I think that an riots are something that deserve jail time. I personally wouldn't feel safe knowing that there are those people on the streets attempting to cause a riot over a terrorists death. It just seems very sketchy to me and I think in all honesty I wouldn't want them around. I think you were very accurate when you said that it was on the same lines people trying to cause pain and suffering for no real reason. I think the best question for now is what's next?

Side Note: (Next Current Event Coming Later Today)

May 7th

The four Mounties involved in the death of Robert Dziekanski after zapping him with a Taser are facing perjury charges for their testimony at a public inquiry.

But Richard Peck, the special prosecutor appointed to look into the case, also declined to recommend any other charges against the officers relating to Dziekanski's death.

"Mr. Peck has concluded that there is no substantial likelihood of conviction in relation to any potential charges arising from the circumstances of the physical altercation with Mr. Dziekanski or the subsequent investigation into his death," said a statement Friday from the attorney general's criminal justice branch.

Instead, Peck has recommended the perjury charges, and the branch said in a news release it has accepted the recommendation. The branch plans to proceed on the charges without a preliminary inquiry, the news release said.

Bentley's lawyer, David Butcher, said his client would plead not guilty.

"No substance to the allegations at all, they will be defended with full vigour," Butcher said in a brief interview.

Lawyers for the other officers could not immediately be reached for comment.

Dziekanski's mother, Zofia Cisowski, released a written statement applauding the charges.

"I am pleased that the special prosecutor has announced criminal charges against RCMP officers involved in the death of my son," wrote Cisowski, who lives in Kamloops, B.C.

"I hope that justice will finally be achieved in the death of my son."

The charges are a result of the officers' testimony at the later public inquiry into the incident, the branch said.

Dziekanski died in October 2007 after spending hours in Vancouver's airport waiting for his mother to come from the B.C. Interior to pick him up.

This is an unfortunate event however it does show that the good does make mistakes these days. I think that it is relevant in that in today's world we expect that the good guys are free from mistakes however in this case that was not true. In some ways it is weird because with the focus set on a certain foe are we being too focused on terrorism and not the every day crimes? Also this artice made me think of the movie Green Hornet in a way which I thought was interesting. This news article was different from the terrorism.

May 8th News
This week:

Thor hammers the competition; cool kids sign up to play The Hunger Games; Stephen Collins wants to adopt one of the Three Stooges; don’t stop believin’ in a 3D film version of Glee; add three more names to the dinner list for Piranha 3DD; get ready for a Seven Samurai remake; and a trio of funny ladies sign on for Will Ferrell’s Bachelorette.

Box Office

Marvel’s Thor grossed an estimated $66 million in the U.S. during its opening weekend. While the God of Thunder’s solo outing failed to reach Iron Man levels of success, it still managed to exceed Incredible Hulk‘s $55.4 million opening – though that was undoubtedly in part due to Thor being screened in the 2D, 3D, and IMAX 3D format. Props to Marvel for its successful marketing strategy, all the same.

Between a solid critical reception (read our Thor review) and strong opening numbers at the box office,Thor looks to become another financial hit for Marvel – and (perhaps more importantly) help to heighten anticipation for next year’s Avengers movie. That’s the superhero pic we’re all really pumped to see, right?

It was highly expected for Thor to do quite well in the theatres and I do truly think this movie is th appropriate hype for the Avengers movie. I think that this movie was quite good and I am looking forward to the other Marvel movies coming out soon. The question I pose fom this news article is whether or not DC will announce a Justice League movie in competition. I think that the superhero movies are always generally good so I would be excited for that to happen.

Pictures can't describe the misery playing out along the Mississippi River for those unprotected by flood levees and walls. Some homes, farms and businesses will be 25 feet underwater for weeks until the water recedes.

The river is still rising from Memphis, Tennessee, to the south. In Memphis, where the river is expected to crest at a near-record 14 feet above flood stage on Tuesday morning, the water was moving at 2 million cubic feet per second on Monday. At that speed, water would fill a football field at a depth of 44 feet, according to the Army Corps of Engineers.

Earthen levees should keep most of the larger towns and cities safe as an extraordinarily high volume of water runs down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico. But levees can fail, in part because moving water has tremendous force. This force will try to erode, saturate, undermine and destroy everything in the way.

Most levees are piles of dirt lined along edges of a river. In theory, vegetation and its roots will keep the dirt stable as water flows by.

Levees can fail if water runs over the top – this is called overtopping. The force of the moving water erodes the soil below, and this can cause a catastrophic breach. The erosion continues until the hole is so large that floodwaters surge into the now unprotected land.

Levees also can fail from below as the water pressure undermines the piled dirt. The water forces itself below the levee and eventually out from the bottom on the dry side of the pile. This is called a sand boil or a mud boil, because of its bubbling appearance.

Also, too many days with floodwater near the top of a levee can saturate the levee’s soil, causing a washout and breach.

The Army Corps of Engineers will be watching for signs of these potential levee failures and will try to take corrective action if it sees them.

"There's always some seepage to be expected generally in the earthen levee systems, and you manage the process by inspecting it, (looking) for the seepage, and (making) sure wherever you find it, you control it,"
retired Army Corps of Engineers Maj. Gen. Thomas Sands said on Monday.

Record or near-record crests are forecast into next week. Sands said that although this month's levels are remarkably high, the levee system has held back high water before.

"The level of degree of confidence in the levee system is basically borne based on the fact that it’s performed so reliably in the past," Sands said.

Sorry for today's coming in late had an untimely trip to the hospital but all will be well. I really hate natural disasters and feel sorry for anyone suffering from the flooding. I think it is ashame that it has to happen but hopefully fast relieft comes to all who are suffering from the floods. I know here in Calgary we have had some massive hail storms so I understand the bad weather. Like I said I feel bad for all those affected and hope for the best.

New Feature to the Daily News to be announced soon.

I heard something disturbing yesterday. We all know sea level is going to rise as part of global warming but it has a delayed effect. See even if the global average were to stabilise now the world sea level would continue to steadily rise for the next ~ 200 years. Also the ice caps melting has a negligible effect on the water level, it's actually down to the fact that when water is heated by ice it becomes less dense, ie it expands. Interesting and also worrying no?

Must Read

(CNN) -- The Obama administration had "very detailed contingency plans" for military action against Pakistani forces if they had tried to stop the U.S. attack on Osama bin Laden's compound, according to two U.S. officials familiar with the plan.

Their names are not disclosed because of the sensitive intelligence information involved.

"No firepower option was off the table" during the Navy SEALs' 38-minute mission on the ground, or during the time U.S. helicopters were in the air, one official told CNN. "We would have done whatever we had to in order to get our men out."

The two U.S. officials also told CNN about the plan if bin Laden had been captured alive, which included taking him to Afghanistan and then out to the USS Carl Vinson in the Arabian Sea.

All of the senior U.S. officials in the White House Situation Room during the assault were prepared to call their Pakistani counterparts if fighting between U.S. and Pakistani forces appeared imminent, one of the officials told CNN. The SEALs at all times retained the right of self-defense, and they could have fired at the Pakistanis to defend themselves.

The risk of retaliation

Fmr. CIA director on bin Laden's death