PS3 Slim

It was just revealed (officially) at Gamescom on the 18th. It's about 34% lighter, uses 34% less power, and has a 120GB hard drive. It's being priced at $299 (American), with most of the older features intact. Unfortunately, it does NOT have backwards compatibility, as Sony still wants to milk the PS2. Sounds like a big step for Sony.

As a current PS3 owner, this news hardly affects me, but I wanted to know what other people think of this news? If you don't own one, will you buy one now?

What do you guys think of its potential success? Will it sell well enough for it to pass the 360 this generation? Or will it fall flat?

Thoughts, please.

EDIT
Probably should have included this:

http://gear.ign.com/articles/101/1015221p1.html

All the info on the PS3 Slim.

I own a PS2 and have been wanting to upgrade for some time to a 360 or a PS3, now even more that SvR10 is coming out.. but I think it'll do pretty well. The PS2 slim did good right? Why not the PS3? It looks pretty cool, although I think I prefer the big PS3 to the slim one. Not sure why.

Don't be thinking you're cool 'cos you posted this thread. I was the first to break the news on WrestleZone, damn it!

I've already pre-ordered mine off Amazon, watching with great pleasure as my delivery estimate ever so slowly ticks back. That's right, baby - tease me. Make me work for it.

As it is, I'm pleased for Sony. So far this generation, their marketing has been an absolute clusterfuck. From plastering the Spider-Man logo all over their consoles and games (along with about three other variations of the PlayStation logo) to setting up billboards with black and white women fighting on them to spending millions of dollars on adverts of babies seeing the PS3 and laughing/crying/going pretty fucking mental. They haven't impressed me in the least.

Personally, I think this could well be the tipping point for Sony - when the PS3 finally overtook the 360. The PS3 exclusives of 2010 will decimate the 360's offerings, there's finally a point to owning a Blu-ray player and hey, the PS3's not fucking massive any more. It's also got a matte finish and won't attract dust and fingerprints like a motherfucker any more.

I look forward to getting mine.

This is fantastic news! Brilliant on Sony's part. The $500 asking price is what made me give the finger to Sony for the past couple years "Blu Ray isn't relevant to me" And for a while Sony IMO lacked exclusives that appealed to me. But now that it's the same price as the XBox 360 elite which I own the blu ray seems like a bonus. With current games like LBP and Katamari Forever being a PS3 exclusive im officially convinced. I plan on picking 1 up in March when God Of War 3 drops along with LBP/KF and maybe Bioshock 2, although I might get B2 for 360 seeing as I got the 1st installment on my 360.

The supposed PS3 Slim is selling on the streets of the Philippines at a local underground street vender, and buyers are more than happy to get their hands on them. Whether this is real or not remains unknown, but the hardware itself seems real especially surfaced from Sony regarding the Slim edition of the PS3 . There have been reports of Sony shipping the Slim as early as July, but not at major vendors..so someone with enough connections was somehow able to get their hands on several PS3's.

I cant wait to get a PS3. I had a 360 but sold it, Microsoft relies to much on FPS Games and XBL and I just dont care for playing Halo 3 or Gears online with a bunch of kids half my age. And hearing of Katamari Forever being a PS3 exclusive and of course the awesomeness that will be God Of War 3. Plus I got the 3 Red Rings a few times and Microsh*t's hardware issues never stopped for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back