Slim PS3 question...

Trill Co$by

Believes in The Shield!
Ok so today I'm finally letting my grudge with Sony go to rest and buying myself the 120GB PS3 Slim at Gamestop. However, after reading about it on numerous of gaming sites, I found out that it doesn't have PS2 game backwards compatibility. And considering PS2 still sales games, I can see why. However, is it possible to buy a device that allows the PS3 Slim to play PS2 games or am I never going to be able to play older PS2 games on my PS3? Or does PS3 offer the same thing that 360 does and put their previous gen games up for download (ie: Downloading Halo 1 from Xbox Live Marketplace, with it being enhanced with online play)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As far as I know, there is no device that will allow you to play PS2 games on your PS3. However, I mean legally. I know of some mods that allow you to play them but it is far too complex and I literally have no idea how it is done. That being said, Sony does have a similar type of concept to the Xbox Live Arcade and it is a bit cheaper too. I played the original Crash Bandicoot on the PS3 and could not have been happier. The other thing is, that you only pay for what you want. Microsoft have been ***** and used the points system which means you constantly have to buy more points than you need and hence spend more money. That is a rip off but Sony only make you pay the exact price for what you want.

I support your purchase. Unfortunately, I don't believe that there is any hardware that can modify your PS3 to play PS2 games. If there were, it would greatly exceed the price of simply a PlayStation 2.

My advice would be just that; buy a PlayStation 2 as well. Having played pretty much all the "great" PS2 titles, I never felt the need to re-buy a PS2. I can assure you that no title worth having is going to be released as a PS2 exclusive past this point.

I bought a PS3 when they first came out, and it has the backwards compatibility with the PS2. With that said, why the fuck do you want to buy PS2 games to play on a PS3? Trust me, they're not nearly as much fun as PS3 games are, and don't look nearly as good. I bought a backwards compatible PS3 because, like you, I thought it'd be great to play old games on the PS3, but in all honesty, I have only played ONE PS2 game on the newer console, and that was "Bully".

Don't worry about backwards compatibility, because you'll never use it.

OFF-TOPIC: Why not buy the regular PS3, won't the PS3 Slim overheat to shit just like PS2 Slim did? I mean, if I'm correct... slim version consoles lack fans to cool the system to prevent overheating.

ON-TOPIC: I think you can only buy the PS1 and PS2 games from the PS online store. But hey, at least they don't rip you off like 360. You pay only for the game, not some stupid points.

The only Playstation 3s that can do backwards compatibility with the PS1 and PS2 is the 60GB versions, they are literally goldust and I'm quite suprised to find them being sold as second hand in some game stores, yet they still sell them high because of the rarity value they have. As Slyfox said, these were the first that came out and got taken off quickly due to them still making sales with the PS2 and thus the current versions do not have it.

I don't know why you have a grudge with sony.. But im a playstation guy. I was upset when i found out i coudlnt get a ps3 with backwards compat.. however its most likely u already have a ps2.. Hopefully they are working on ps1,2,3 backwards compat for the ps4 =D

As for slim.. i've said this in other posts, i think you should go classic thick ps3.. I'm not sure what slim has vs doesn't have but i would feel like if i got the slim I didn't get the real thing. Who really cares how big a system is i highly doubt there's a space issue around your TV.

Well firstly, my grudge over Sony has to do with far more than Playstation. Generally, I just have a problem with them because their TV qualities aren't the best.

Second, I still have my old PS2 games, however, my PS2 itself is broken. That would be why I was wondering if Backwards compat was available, as I didn't have enough to buy more than one game to go with the PS3 when I first got it.

Lastly, I have finally played the PS3 (offline) and I currently have Resistance 2 and I must say the quality of this game is amazing!

OFF-TOPIC: Why not buy the regular PS3, won't the PS3 Slim overheat to shit just like PS2 Slim did?

No, never been a problem. You could, however, strap an industrial fan onto the back of my 360 and the fucker would be nothing but melted plastic and metal within an hour.

I mean, if I'm correct... slim version consoles lack fans to cool the system to prevent overheating.

PS3 Slim has a fan.

And don't listen to grumpy Slyfox - the PlayStation 2 has the best back catalogue of any console. He's just a graphics horse. He probably even thinks Resident Evil 5 is better than Resident Evil 4.

I've heard a rumor that if you take it apart and flip the lens around then you can make it backwards compatible. The real extent of the truth of this rumor is beyond me. Just go buy another PS2 or sell all your games as they are really not worth playing anymore.

From what i hear the reason they took the backwards compatabilty of ps3 for ps2 games(i believe it plays ps1 games) was price, and the fact that u can get a new ps2 for 100 bucks. They opted out of it to save money on the ps3 production. They are still losing money on the system but not as much.

I am going to buy a PS3 (FINALLY!!!!!! lol) after tax season comes and if I can, I am going right for the 60 gig. I saw that KMart does in fact have the 60 gig version, so even thouh they don't make them anymore, they are not all sold. They are out there.

My 2 reasons for having a backwards compatible system is because ps2 had alot of good games that I never got the chance to play, the other reason being there are 2 PS2 titles I absolutley have to play on a semi-regular basis: Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2. Yes, I am addicted to the KH series. I am currently playing the new DS Kingdom Hearts game 358/2 Days and soon I will own the PSP title, Birth By Sleep.

I dont think you will be able to play a PS1/2 game off a disc with a ps3 because it has a different CD drive (BluRay).

there are lots to be bought on the PSN store though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back