The Confederate Flag: What Does It REALLY Stand For?

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
Often referred to as the Stars & Bars, the Rebel Flag, and the Southern Cross, it's meaning & ultimately what it stands for is a debate that pops up every now & then. The flag that we're all familiar with was only the national flag of the Confederate States of America for a very brief time, only the last few months of the American Civil War if I'm not mistaken. Prior to that, the flag was actually the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia, of which Robert E. Lee became the most well known commanding officer. Really the thing that brought all this into my head took place today as Dixie Carter's husband posted a picture of himself on Twitter holding up a Confederate flag license plate stating "Don't Mess with Dixie."

The flag itself all but disappeared from public view after the Civil War but was reintroduced in 1956. It was considered by many to be a form of protest against the desegregation of public schools, the landmark civil rights case Brown v. Board of Education took place 2 years prior. Several states adopted the Confederate flag as part of the design of the state flag, including Georgia & Mississippi. Georgia stopped using it in 2001 but it's still part of the stat flag of Mississippi. Because of the perceived protests against school desegregation, its use in the Civil War and it's past association with groups like the Ku Klux Klan, many view the Confederate flag as a symbol of racism and inequality towards all minorities.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/04/us/kanye-west-confederate-flag/index.html?iref=allsearch

The link above highlights one of the most recent controversies to come about, with Kanye West in the middle of it. West came out in public earlier this month wearing a jacket with the flag on it. West stated that he's ultimately claiming the flag as his own stating, "The Confederate flag represented slavery in a way. That's my abstract take on what I know about it, right? So I wrote the song, 'New Slaves.' So I took the Confederate flag and made it my flag. It's my flag now. Now what you gonna do?" Some see it as nothing more than a publicity stunt, others are highly offended by it, others see it as the latest example of West's overly huge ego. West himself has claimed that he did it primarily to stoke the fires of discussion and debate.

West certainly isn't the first recording artist to adopt the use of the flag in some ways. Various bands and solo artists who's songs or image conveys them as a musical rebel railing against the music industry or the status quo as a whole, such as Lynyrd Skynyrd, Hank Williams, Jr., Charlie Daniels, etc. have used the flag, or at least it's design, while performing in concert, as part of their logo, in music videos, etc. While the flag is generally associated in the public consciousness as representing a racist viewpoint, it's become very skewed in the minds of some in recent years as Kanye West isn't the only African American to sport the flag. Lil Jon, David Banner, Ludacris and others have done so in the past for one reason or another.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/25/opinion/obeidallah-confederate-flag/index.html?iref=allsearch

Another article came out last month, one I'd actually forgotten about but was reminded of by this Kanye West story. Dan Obeidallah is actually a comedian but wrote this opinion piece for CNN in October in which he states that the Confederate flag should no longer be celebrated in any means as it was a flag of "traitors." From a technical standpoint, he's right as the CSA was comprised of states who seceded from the Union and declared war against it. Confederate soldiers & sympathizers weren't called "rebels" by the Union just for the hell of it. Even though the Confederate States of America is no longer around, Obeidallah views that flying the flag is the same as flying one of an opposing foreign power.

There's also a clip in that link in which a young teenage girl in Tennessee wasn't allowed to attend her high school prom because she was wearing a dress that contained the pattern of the Confederate flag. She stated that she honestly didn't intend to make any sort of political statement and that she didn't mean to offend anyone. She simply liked the design and thought that it looked cool.

I don't think there's any one real way to answer what the Confederate flag stands for because it honestly seems to mean something different to different people. Some see it as a symbol of inequality and a shameful reminder of the country's past. Others see it as a means to generate controversy, thereby using it to either cash in somehow or to ignite discussion. Others see it as little more than just a flag with pretty, eye catching colors.

As for me personally, I don't necessarily view anyone who has the flag on a shirt, jacket, license plate, poster or whatever as someone promoting racism. At the same time, however, I always feel a little bit uneasy whenever I see it because of its past. Even though its intended usage has varied by many different people, the fact that it has been and still is used by various hate groups is inescapable.

I'm in the same camp as the comedian: the Confederate flag is that of a foreign nation (their description of it remember) that attacked the United States. That's the same thing as Japan in the 40s and the same idea as the group that attacked New York on September 11. Yeah it symbolizes standing up for what you believe in, but it also stands for an act of war because you didn't like the system your states agreed to be a part of. Instead of debating and arguing the points, the Confederacy decided to take their ball and go home while also starting a war. I don't see how this should be celebrated whatsoever.

As for the racism aspect, I can see it to an extent but at the same time, the Civil War was about so much more than slavery. I doubt most people who wear or fly the Confederate flag are calling for sending black people back to the cotton fields, though I'm sure there are a few crazy people who would love that idea.

I agree with KB. The Confederate Flag is that of a foreign nation. A nation in which the USA went to war with.

But KB, come on now. We're both from the same neck of the woods and you say that there are a few crazy people out there that would love the idea of segregation and re-enslaving blacks. Just a few? Sorry KB but where we are from there are more than just a few.

I remember my time in KY very well. As I went to an all white school and I was absolutely the only person of color at that school while I was in attendance there. Very often I would hear racist slurs in the hall-ways or see fellow students drawing pictures of the Confederate Flag on the covers of their notebooks. Often I would see the Confederate Flag design on the back window pane of a Pick-up truck or on a license plate of a pick-up truck with the words, "The South Will Rise Again". What do you think these people had in mind when they were drawing those pictures, writing those words, or having those designs put on their vehicles for all the world to see? I'm sorry, but past experiences makes it very hard for me to believe that they were just rebelling.

KB, I know you've seen the very same things that I have seen and I know, being from Lexington KY, you've seen them very often. You as well Jack-Hammer.

I live in rural Southern Indiana, I went to a high school that had ~450 students. We were the Rebels.

south_spencer.png

That little guy is our mascot. Except he has only been that color for about 25 years. Before that he wore a grey Confederate uniform and he carried a Confederate flag. It was eventually decided that it wasn't PC enough, so they changed it and banned all Confederate imagery.

Now Indiana was a state that never left the Union, we were never part of the Confederacy, but don't tell that to people here. Things like "Dixie 'till I die" and "The South Will Rise Again" are common bumper stickers. Being an extremely liberal person, it annoys me to no end, but I can say for a fact that a good 95% of the people who display the flag or throw a fuss over the school no longer associated with the imagery aren't racist, just ignorant or ill-educated.

KB said the Civil War was fought for more than just slavery, and he is correct. Some historians will argue that the Civil War was more about the industrial North taxing the rural South without giving them equal representation in government, ie the same basic reasons the US fought for its independence. I digress however, that is another debate for another time. Not everyone in the South supported slavery, and not everyone in the North were freedom fighters, but due to certain groups and events the flag has been associated with hate and racism it shouldn't be celebrated.

It means you can't spell words with more than 2 syllables and your kids have 12 toes because you had babies with your mom/sister/cousin/grandma (all one person). In short, you're white trash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back