Favourite Southern Rock Musicians

Mr. TM

Throwing a tantrum
Who doesn't like to get in their pick up, with the big confederate flag in the back, drinking moonshine and eating peaches? The real question is which song do you hope comes on the AM?

I wont make this strictly bands that ARE southern rockers, but bands that play the style, as my band I want to choose is from California. Easily put, they are CCR, short for Creedance Clearwater Revival. When I want to think of a great song to put on, about the Bayou, about the back step, about anything steriotypically from the Deep South (Between LJL and JMT's house), I choose CCR over The Allmans and Lyrnyrd Skynyrd

Do you really have to ask? Crosby Stills and Nash! these guys have been playing music for like forever and I've seen them 3 times! Every time I saw them weather it be at the Beacon Theater or at MSG they don't disappoint. They've also never played the same set twice. Same thing with Jerry Garcia (R.I.P Jerry)

Teach Your Children: If you ever wanted a Southern Parenting lesson this song is it. this was also on the bilboard charts for a while too.

[YOUTUBE]p6pphVs8bF0[/YOUTUBE]

Deja Vu: This song is what catapulted them to the top. This was the epicenter of the Anti-War movement in regards to music.
[YOUTUBE]HiDOMuhpqUo[/YOUTUBE]

Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

[YOUTUBE]EzF_MoXOU1E[/YOUTUBE]

Another one is The Alman Brothers. I've seen them at the Asbury Park amphitheater. They're amazing live

Jessica: this is one of those instrumentals that epitomized what that band's style was.

[YOUTUBE]WfM6nRVBvGs[/YOUTUBE]

Midnight Rider: One of their top hits that still get played on every classic rock station.

[YOUTUBE]6EkJRy3gIS4[/YOUTUBE]

And who can forget about the Jerry Garcia Band. The Dancing bears, The Tie Die, the Psychedelic music that they play. They even have a Tribute band called Dark Star Orchestra who are a national act and if you close your eyes you can hear the original band members of the Jerry Garcia band

Jerry Garcia: Dark Star

[YOUTUBE]YLzUme1gN8c[/YOUTUBE]

Dark Star Orchestra: Jack Straw

[YOUTUBE]EIsvzY4ZvSA[/YOUTUBE]

My favorite would have to be CCR. But it's not the CCR mentioned above. It's Cross Canadian Ragweed. They originated in Texas and began as more of a country band. Though through the years they've developed into a southern rock band. It's hard to describe them, so they just call themselves "a country influenced rock band." They're albums mostly feature "country-influenced rock" but, their concerts are more on the rock side. Great band, not necessarily the first band you'd think of when you think of southern rock. Great band though, highly recomend them. Here's pretty much their most popular song, Alabama:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pkFtl50kqYE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pkFtl50kqYE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
Sweet home Alabama!!

They may not be the best, but my favorites are certainly the gentlemen in Black Stone Cherry. Every song is great, and they're good to just put on in the background during a night of drinking with some buddies.

I've seen them live (only once, regrettably), and they tore the house down. They were opening for Hinder, of all fucking bands, and the crowd was mostly 12 and 13 year old girls with their drunken mothers, and even that crowd was getting into it. They jammed for a good 40 minutes, and really showed off their skills.

Here's their first single, and biggest hit to date:

[YOUTUBE]3HFVnbPhXqk[/YOUTUBE]​

So many bands I grew up on man. Being right in the Capitol of the Confederacy, Richmond Virginia. Oh man. I loved Lynyrd Skynyrd, they put out so much kick ass music it's not even funny. I could post a song or 3 by them but it's not even necessary. Another band I absolutely loved were the Doobie Brothers, so underrated it's not funny. They put out great music. CCR is another band that was totally kickass. Can't go wrong with Creedence!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back