The Compliment Sandwich: Seth Rogan

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
So, this is the latest in my series of threads that encourage people to really look at a subject matter and get to grips on what they really think about something. The way it works is very simple. You state something that you like about the subject matter. It could be something as simple as how they look or how much they make you enjoy something. After that, you simply state something that you do not like about the subject matter. Again, it could be anything. After that, you, simply round it off with something positive.

Simple as that

Today, it is the turn of Seth Rogan as The Compliment Sandwich thread series rolls into the Movies and Television section and doesn't look back. One of the most discussed men in Hollywood comes under the spotlight of my gang of marauders (you guys) as we take a look at Seth Rogan.

I honestly think that Seth Rogan is a funny man and that is really all you can ask for from him. In terms of acting, he can pull it off when he needs to. I seen him in Knocked Up and although it was a comedy,. I thought that Rogan had a great mix of comedy and acting with some impact. Some of the issues that are dealt with in Knocked Up really require the actor to be more than the sarcastic guy you would meet at a party. I have to believe that Seth Rogan is really coming along with his acting and although he is not George Clooney or Brad Pitt, he can definitely pull off acting as well as comedy and that is his greatest strength.

My one concern about Seth Rogan is that his movies are all the God-damn same with one twist added to each movie to make them seem different. Really, it is just Rogan being put into situations that are bigger than he is at the time and then he grows into the situation. It was the case with Knocked Up, Funny People and Observe And Report. The problem with that is that it becomes very repetitive and once you have seen one of his movies, then you have seen them all. Observe And Report is probably the worst of the lot and I still cannot believe that I sat through the full thing. His comedy was completely underutilized in that movie and it stunk out the entire cinema when I went to see it. For all of his charisma, he really could not save that movie whatsoever.

However, the great strength of Seth Rogan is how he manages to relate to the man at home watching the movies. He is just a normal guy, one is led to believe, that has made it lucky by being funny. I mean, some of the comedy that is on show in some of his movies are just the type of comedy that you would pull off with your friends when you are shooting the shit and that is why it is funny. Superbad was incredible and it really is nothing more than American Pie 4. The fact that he and Evan Goldberg managed to make it that brilliantly funny and well-known across the world is very impressive. People relate to him and that is why he is so funny and now successful.

He's fucking funny. He's a goofy fat dude and there will always be a place for them in comedy (Jack Black, Kevin James, Chris Farley, etc.) He has great delivery, good timing, and he seems to play all his characters well.

He's very limited. I don't think Seth Rogan could ever play the responsible brother or the knowledgeable boss. He's basically stuck playing immature people with bad habits.

He's made mostly good movies so far. I know a lot of people aren't big Pineapple Express fans, but it's on of my favorite recent comedies, easily blowing the shit out of similar movies. Knocked Up was also terrific, Superbad is beloved by many, he's had a bunch of smaller roles in movies like 40 Year Old Virgin, Anchorman, and Step Brothers. I'm not a fan of all of these movies, most but not all, but you can't argue with the success they all had.

Just to clear this up, it's Seth Rogen. But anyway,

He's genuinely funny. He's got the kind of sense of humor I like, as a lot of my friends seem to think and talk the same way he does.

Observe And Report was awful. Although he did make me laugh my ass off a couple of times, he made a bad choice accepting that role.

He's very easy to relate to. The movies he's been a part save for OAR and The Green Hornet are situations that everyday people can find themselves in. I would much rather watch a movie with seeming real life personalities in simple situations than watch some convoluted mess.

Compliment

He is easy to relate to as the everyday stoner/slacker who ends up finding himself in a funny situation. He is able to make you think that you as the viewer could pull a stunning girl or do what he is doing. He doesnt look like the usual hero-type so people can relate to him

Criticism

He does seem to only play the lovable loser/stoner/slacker as mentioned above. Although most of his films are funny, he plays every role almost identically with little difference. I have not seen much improvement in his acting over the years, he is just the same as ever. I can get bored by him

Compliment

Most of his films are funny. I do love his performances in Superbad and Knocked Up and most of his others are watchable. His delivery and timing are excellent, and I think that along with the other cop, he makes Superbad what it is. Pretty funny guy

I'm not trying to bump a dead topic or anything, but I'm a big Seth Rogen fan, so I wanted to comment on this topic.

I personally think Seth Rogen is HILARIOUS! I've liked pretty much all of his movies, except maybe Pineapple Express. I thought he was BY FAR the best character in The 40 Year Old Virgin. His chemistry with Paul Rudd in the movies they've been in together is comic genius at it's finest.

The only problem I have with Rogen is that he plays a lot of similar characters. Obviously it varies from movie to movie, but he's almost always a stoner. And me, not being a big fan of the weed smoking, can't really get into that part of his characters.

I think Rogen just needs a break out role to get out of the stoner stereotype. His acting has improved (in my opinion), and I really think that he could easily play a different kind of character than before. Especially since he lost all that weight. Either way, if there's a Seth Rogen movie out, I'll watch it, and most likely like it.

Seth Rogen can be a funny guy. He's one of those guys who a lot of people might be able to relate to. He's the care free slacker who wants to do something with his life, and he can be a cool guy.

Rogen can be very, very streaky when it comes to the quality of his films. He can have some fun and hilarious comedies, but he does have a nice amount of shit films. I thought Observe and Report was terrible, and I wasn't too crazy about Funny People. Rogen just seemed so awkward and out of place in that film. Rogen's range is very limited, and it can really show a lot of times. Also, I don't think Rogen has that one very good or great film. I loved Pineapple Express and Knocked Up, but I don't think either film is truly great.

Still, Rogen can be fun to watch a lot of times. I can't stand Katherine Heigl, because I think she's highly annoying, but Rogen was able to provide some great comic relief here. Rogen needs to be different in the future. He needs to try some new stuff. I think he took a nice step in that direction with The Green Hornet, and I hope to see more different films from him in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back