The Cincinnati Bengals in 2014

Akhilleus

Getting Noticed By Management
Following Minnesota's hiring of Mike Zimmerman, former defensive coordinator for the Cincinnati Bengals, I am getting increasingly sure that the Bengals will have a very drastic decline in the 2014 season. At the very least they will miss the playoffs. Most teams have struggles adjusting when they fire one of their coordinators at will, but losing one is even worse. Now throw in the fact that they not only lost their defensive coordinator today, but they also lost their offensive coordinator when Jay Gruden went to the Redskins, and things get even more complicated for the Bengals.

Cincinnati to me, is a team that has a really high peak for one season, and then falls back down again for the next three or four years. It happened in 2009 when the Bengals had won the AFC North, and I believe it is going to happen again. The Bengals had finished 11-5 this year which was very good for what they've done in the past, and also predicted by many fans and analysts. They were in a good spot, with a lot of young talent. Yet I believe their 11-5 season was more to do with the decline of the Baltimore Ravens and Pittsburgh Steelers, than to do with what they had to offer. I'm not sure how many people would disagree if I said both the Ravens and Steelers would have beaten the Bengals in the Wild Card playoffs of this year, just like the Chargers did. Andy Dalton is simply not the answer for the Bengals. In fact, he may be the sole thing holding the offense back. AJ Green makes that offense work, he is the centerpiece of it all. Many folks see Giovani Bernard as the next great running back. He was after all, the first back taken in the 2013 NFL Draft. But I dislike him for one big reason. His size. He's only 5'8, 207 LBs. He is smaller than Reggie Bush, and Bush is a toothpick. All it takes is one big hit and that guy is broken in half. Then again, it's hard to say because nowadays with all the rule changes running backs are becoming more and more durable. Still at this point I am not going to be quick to jump on the Gio bandwagon. The Bengals do have Tyler Eifert who I like a lot, but other than Green and Eifert they need a franchise QB, and they need Benard to pan out in the long run.

As I mentioned earlier the Bengals will be having a first place schedule after winning the AFC North this year at 11-5. That schedule includes away games against Saints, Patriots, Texans, and Colts. Along with the usual games against Pittsburgh and Baltimore which are always tough on the road for them. Then at home it isn't exactly that much easier with them having to facing Carolina, Denver, and Atlanta. Now it's tough to say how those teams will be next season, but if the Texans, Falcons, Steelers, and Ravens all bounce back and the rest of those teams play like they did last year...it's going to be a sore season for Cincinnati.

Now like I said before, I believe a lot of the Bengals' 2013 success this year had to do with Baltimore's and Pittsburgh's decline. I think both of those declines were temporary. Pittsburgh seemed to have had a much better second half, a second half where if they played like that in the first half they might still be alive in the playoffs right now. They have a franchise QB, Antonio Brown at WR who proved to be great in 2013, and also an up and coming running back in Le'veon Bell who I can see being a great player in their offense for years to come. I know they also drafted a WR in the third round of last year's draft who could have the potential to come up and take over the number two spot. They're going to lose Emmanuel Sanders more than likely, but he isn't going to be a big loss to their offense. Not to forget they'll have Pouncey back, along with a line that many thought played exceptionally well under all the circumstances. On defense they do have a lot of aging players. I think they'll likely shake up some of their staff by firing a linebackers coach or something. They did also draft a linebacker in the first round of last years draft who could be a great future center piece of the defense. I've taken a look at their schedule too, and from what I can see I think it is almost cupcake compared to some of the other schedules in their division, especially Cincinnati.

Now talking about Baltimore. Their decline was predicated by me and likely many others. The defensive pieces that they lost were almost overwhelming with Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, and anyone else. Luckily they did sign Dumerville, and drafted safety Matt Elam in the first round of the draft last year. They already have their Super Bowl MVP QB in Joe Flacco, and Ray Rice at RB. Ray Rice had a decline year and it may have to do with how much he's been used by Baltimore over the years. I can't tell whether or not it was just an off year or more so the start of the crash that all running backs experience at some point. Due to the fact that he is still only 26 years old I'm going to choose the first one and say it was just an off year and that he will bounce back. Obviously Baltimore was also lost without their starting tight end Dennis Pitta for the majority of the season. Their one weakness however that needs to be fixed is at WR. Torrey Smith was a wideout who I thought had a lot of potential, and he's still good...yet there was a significant difference this year without Anquan Boldin on the other side of him. The Ravens need to get someone on the other side of Smith if they won't him to succeed, and I believe they should draft a WR early in the upcoming draft.

So to wrap things up, with the Bengals losing both their offensive and defensive coordinators the players are going to have a lot to adjust to next year whenever those positions are filled. With them will be nowhere close to easy schedule next year, along with an average at best Quarterback they are going to have a lot to juggle in the 2014 season. For the last three years the Bengals have lost in the wild card round of the playoffs, but to me this year I cannot even see them getting that far. My prediction is at best they finish 9-7, maybe make the playoffs maybe not. But 7-9 or 8-8 is how I see it going for them.

I could see the bengals declining for sure. At least from what they did last year, but I don't think it would be a big decline. I think they're probably a wild card team next year, but even then I think they'll be around in the division hunt.

I somewhat disagree with your reasoning on why they'll decline. Mostly because you didn't mention Marvin Lewis as part of the problem too. I think Dalton has potential to be better. Nothing great, but an average QB. I point a lot of the failures of the bengals on lewis though.

I could see the bengals declining for sure. At least from what they did last year, but I don't think it would be a big decline. I think they're probably a wild card team next year, but even then I think they'll be around in the division hunt.

I somewhat disagree with your reasoning on why they'll decline. Mostly because you didn't mention Marvin Lewis as part of the problem too. I think Dalton has potential to be better. Nothing great, but an average QB. I point a lot of the failures of the bengals on lewis though.

Which makes their decline even more likely. I was thinking after seeing their schedule and knowing how they're like that they were in for a different season than last year.

Now that they've lost both their offensive and defensive coordinators it is almost certain they aren't going to hit the ground running next year. Like I said even when a team changes just one of their coordinators at will, more often than not that part of the team struggles for at least awhile. I'm sure most of the kinks get worked out in training camp, but sometimes it could take half the year, sometimes longer. Look at Todd Haley and the Steelers.

If Marvin Lewis is to blame for their bad spots, who is to blame for what their good spots were? It would have to be one of the coordinators that they just lost.

I don't think the Bengals will regress next year at all. I look at both their lines and see some quality, especially on the defense. They've got skill positions players. Bernard and green-Ellis give the RB position depth. There are other guys who can pick up Green's slack. Dalton wasn't as bad as he appeared by his playoff performance.

I also really struggle to see Baltimore and Pittsburgh getting better. Baltimore's O-line is questionable and the Steeler's are still getting older in a lot of places. Cleveland is probably the team that can take the biggest leap if they can get their QB issues resolved.

Regarding Cleveland's QB issues, I think there is a good chance that Johnny Manziel is going to end up there once the draft is all said and done. Sadly I don't think that is the right place for him at all. He is someone I think will need more help from his team at the start of his young career, rather than being the one carrying his team right off the bat.

It just doesn't seem like the best place to develop, and so I wish he was drafted by someone else or that the Browns drafted a different QB.

If we decline, Jay Gruden leaving won't be that much of the cause of it. While Gruden didn't raise our offense from what it was, we also gained a mass array of offensive weapons but Gruden's play calling was shaky at times. The hiring of Hue Jackson will keep us at at least the same place as we were in terms of offense.

The real thing that will hurt us is fucking Zimmer leaving. We should have offered Lewis the GM job because he should NOT be our coach anymore but we can't just fire him after all he's done for us and then made Zimmer our head coach. I talked to my friend earlier in the season and he predicted Zimmer would be offered a head coaching job and would leave for it but he predicted the Falcons would IMO would have been a better fit for him than the Vikings. One thing I will say is that we still have the talent on both sides of the ball save for a few positions (corner, QB will be a problem in the post season and in some division games, etc)

I say at most our decline will be to 8-8 and missing the playoffs but I could still see us getting in though losing in the wild card round again. If that happens Marvin Lewis will absolutely need to be removed from the head coaching position (should have been already because the Chargers should have been an easy W). For us to remain successful this year all we really need to do is draft a corner, maybe pick up a veteran free agent QB to compete with Dalton, hire a DC at least as good as Zimmer like we did with Gruden, have Giovanni Bernard start, and this may seem obvs but win games we should fucking win SMH.

Based on the regular season I also have to disagree that the Ravens would have beaten us in the playoffs but then again this is the Bengals so you never know. Steelers would have made us their bitch again though. Good Thread I always love discussing football and especially The Cincinnati Bengals.

Edit: It would probably be in everyone's best interest for Manziel to not go tot he Browns. Vikings, Texans, hell even the Jaguars would all be better fits but for everyone's sake not the Browns

It was only a matter of time before both Gruden and Zimmer were given opportunities as head coaches in the National Football League. This fan believes Zimmer will be much more missed than the overly hyped Jay Gruden. I actually had wished Gruden would have ended up as the headman in Cleveland assuring no matter how bad things could get here we would not end up the basement of the AFC North. You can probably tell I have zero use for the man as a coordinator.

The Bengals wasted little to no time in name their successors. They kept it in house announcing Hue Jackson on the offensive side of the ball and Paul Guenther as the D coordinator. There should not be much of a transition for the players and let’s hope any change is for the good.

2014 Schedule (no dates announced)
Home: Ravens, Browns, Steelers, Jags, Titans, Falcons, Panthers & Broncos
Away: Ravens, Browns, Steelers, Texans, Colts, Saints, Bucs & Pats

Cinci is a better team than they appear to be, a team that has been building steam in the last few seasons and this past season I believe they finally made that obvious to the league. Being a Steeler fan I like the idea of know your enemy so I've paid very close attention to them for a long time, and I'll say their potential is scary. Now I do agree that Zimmer leaving is gonna hurt them but they'll manage without him. Their defense also took a hit when they lost DE Michael Johnson, a talented young man headed to Tampa. Truthfully their biggest problem is the guy who's been at the helm for the last few seasons, Andy Dalton. I firmly believe the entire 2014 season hinges on the play of The Red Rifle and if he can finally rise to be the franchise guy the Bengals are still praying he can be, but he's running out of time to prove it. He's a guy who shows great promise one second and judgement calls when he gets in trouble that you see a 10 year old make in the backyard. If he can play like he did against the Vikings in week 16 throwing four touchdowns with no picks for 366 yards, that's a guy who can take the Bengals to that fabled Super Bowl win. But he's gotta stop with the choking in the beginning of the playoffs, like this year's Wild Card against San Diego putting on a dreadful performance with 2 ugly picks and a fumble.

Now for the positives I alluded to earlier, in many areas they're a young team on the rise. You've got absolute superstars on both sides of the ball in Geno Atkins and AJ Green. Maualuga is a great MBL when he's healthy and he's coming in hungry after a down year in 2013. Tyler Eifert is a major asset and someone who's got a great future if he continues to show the pure football skills he showcased in his rookie year. Also their running back corps got the kickstart it needed for so long with the addition of a talented Giovani Bernard. Paired with a veteran presence like Green-Ellis, this kid has a lot of potential to be the cornerstone of the offense along with Green. So yes they've got some holes but if they play it smart in the draft and address the issues they have, get themselves a studly Defensive Lineman like Kony Ealy and a QB like McCarron or a later guy like Faels they should be pretty well prepared to attempt another solid run in 2014. Ofcourse I'd rather see them flop :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back