The Catch Phrase

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
In this thread folks, I am looking to answer the following three questions:

1. How important is the catch phrase in professional wrestling?

2. What have been the most successful catch phrases in history?

3. Have catch phrases enabled the under-talented to become successful?

I came across this thread idea on this site, in all places, looking at a banner ad. You may have noticed the promo for Bruce Buffer - I think his book - entitled "It's Time!" Now despite my feelings that Big Van Vader should eat Buffer in three swift bites for ripping him off, I have to give the Buffer Bros. credit. Michael Buffer's "Let's Get Ready to Rumble!" has become more than iconic, and has even been copyrighted. Bruce's "It's TIIIMMMMEEEE!" has somehow enabled Bruce to exit his brothers shadow, despite one time being at risk for a John / Richard Stamos situation. (you know John's brother Richard can't hit the High F...)

That also made me think about The Rock. Here's a guy with a world of athletic talent, but once upon a time, he was just Rocky Maivia, a marginal Intercontinental Champ in a really weird looking outfit. He smiled, he glad-handed. Then, "The Rock Says..." happened, and "Know your role, and shut your mouth" happened. The rest is history.

Do I need to get started on Steve Austin? When The Ring Master became Stone Cold, well, Stone Cold wasn't too much until "Austin 3:16." A star is born.

So I hope to use this thread to look at the history of the Catch Phrase, the best of all time, and the wrestlers who have used them. Have fun, kids, but remember - if you spam we'll infract you delete your post. And that's the bottom line...

I think that catchphrases are extremely important. It's something that you end up associating with the character who says it. Fans who are just starting out watching might not know who everyone is yet, but they can remember someone's catchphrase and when they watch another show can think to themselves "oh! I remember that guy, that line must be his catchphrase!". Suddenly, that wrestler has gotten a new fan of his. Even with fans like most of us who have been watching for years, its cool to see new wrestlers get over by using catchphrases.... as well as seeing which older catchphrases have lived on over the years.

Some of the more successful catchphrases include DX's "If you're not down with that, then we've got two words for ya!" and of course the one being tributed in my sig.... Stone Cold's "and that's the bottom line because Stone Cold said so!". Another is Undertaker's "Rest....In....Peace!". Then there's the long list of catchphrases The Rock had.

Catchphrases have definitely enabled under-talented wrestlers to become successful. Not everyone is amazing in the ring, but some of the more charismatic guys have gotten over through their promos and catchphrases. IC already mentioned how The Rock and Stone Cold did it.... A more recent example would be the Miz. He became more over when he began saying "because I'm the Miz and I'm AWESOME!" at the end of his promos. I find that one a little cheesy myself, but with so many fans saying it as he says it on shows is an example of how catchphrases help someone become more over.

So yeah, I find catchphrases to be extremely important because they can help someone get over when their in-ring abilities might not be able to. The promos become better and the fan reaction/support for the wrestler increases as the fans can yell the catchphrase when they know it's coming, which can be fun. I usually enjoy all catchphrases, I'm drawing a blank trying to think of one that I didn't like.

I don't think catchphrases are as important now as they were back in wrestling's prime. Back in wrestling's prime it seemed like everyone had a catchphrase. Hogan had "Whatcha gonna do...", Bret Hart had "The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be", Macho Man had "Ohhhhhh yeahhhhh!", and then of course the Rock and Stone Cold like IC mentioned above. Today though I can really only think of three catchphrases. "I'm AWESOME!" by The Miz, "You Can't See Me" by John Cena, and "Rest in Peace" by The Undertaker. Taker's however was from when he first started so I wouldn't really bunch it into today's work. So that leaves us with just The Miz and John Cena.

Cena doesn't really say his anymore, as now it is just a hand wave across his face and merchandise sales. But it definitely helped get him over and propelled him into the main event. Miz is linked to his catchphrase and honestly it is work with him. That catchphrase has got the Miz crazy over with the people and really put him on the map as an up and comer. I think it will stick with Miz and will propel him into the main event scene. I then see him ditching it, as he will be able to rely on his mic skills and in ring work to speak for him and not need the catchphrase to get over.

I officially LOVE this thread... well done as usual, IC25.

Pro-wrestlers need to go out in front of a crowd and make an impact. When their job is finished, they need to be remembered by the crowd in which they just performed. Their performances can consist of many things: the match, the promo, the run-in, the managerial role, etc. But when they leave the spotlight, they better make sure they just left an impression on everyone.

Simply put, catchphrases allow wrestlers to be memorable. This is extremely important in the growth of a pro-wrestler. Like I said, they need to go out in front of a crowd, make an impact, and leave an impression on everyone. One thing that most of the audience pays attention to is a promo. People are always curious about what's on a wrestler's mind before and after a match. If they can say a repetitive phrase or word during all of their promos that a crowd can relate to, this allows the wrestler a beter shot at being remembered by the crowd. Whether they choose to despise the phrase, laugh at it, or repeat it, it's important that they remember it afterwards.

But one misconception about a catchphrase that the pro-wrestling audience makes is that it needs to be repeated by the audience in order to be successful. This couldn't be further from the truth. Like I said earlier, its purpose is to make its speaker memorable to the audience. Granted, the more successful ones of our generation occurred during the Attitude Era, where every catch phrase in existence was repeated by the audience. However, it was never a requirement of a successful catchphrase.

I believe it is as important as a wrestler makes it out to be. If their persona revolves around this catchphrase, it should be repeated during every promo. But this should be only if the people give a shit about it. A wrestler can't just start repeating words and phrases and expect the crowd to catch onto it. However, if it's used effectively and the wrestler can make the audience connect with them through the catchphrase, it could be one of the most important tools they could use to stay memorable and relevant to an audience.

Man, where do I begin here...

Being that I grew up and have been an audience member through five eras of pro-wrestling, I've seen TONS and TONS of catchphrases. In relation to what I was saying previously, funny enough, I remember most of the wrestlers in the past from their catchphrases. So, without listing anything said by The Rock (since that's too easy), my favorites and most memorable are:

Ted DiBiase
"Everybody's got a price for the Million Dollar Man."
This phrase completely defined who the Million Dollar Man was. He was a guy who's life and principles revolved around the all-mighty dollar.

Hulk Hogan
"Says your prayers and eat your vitamins."
The superhero phrase of the 80's. The Hulkster was a role model for children, and this phrase was his message to our youth.

"Well, you know somethin' Mean Gene..."
Hogan and Gene Okerlund always had a crazy chemistry with each other, ever since Hogan was interviewed after defeating the Iron Sheik for his first world title with the WWE. Hogan would always begin his interviews this way, and the people couldn't wait to hear him say it.

Whatcha gonna do, when Hulk Hogan and all his Hulkamaniacs run wild on you?!
Pretty much every one of Hogan's promos ended with this phrase. We were all expecting it every time and couldn't wait to hear it.

The Macho Man Randy Savage
"Oooooh yeah!"
When you hear this, you think of the Macho Man. There's nothing more to say. It defines who he is, and it means absolutely nothing. He took nothing and made it into something. That's impressive.

Jake Roberts
"Trust me."
When Jake Roberts turned heel after a short-term alignment with the Undertaker, he stated a phrase to the Ultimate Warrior that would change his character and prepare him for some incredibly psychological feuds to come... "Never trust a snake." This phrase evolved into "Trust me" and was constantly used to put himself over as a heel in his feud against the Macho Man in 1991.

Undertaker
"Rest in Peace."
I don't think I need to say much about this. As a matter of fact, I don't think there's ever been a catchphrase in the history of pro-wrestling that defines its speaker more than this one.

Degeneration X
"Suck it!"
For some reason, the sick minds of the pro-wrestling fans just seem to love this phrase. I never understood the appeal... but then again, it never stopped me from repeating it along with HBK and Triple H at live shows.

Kurt Angle
"It's true, it's true."
This is one of those accidental catchphrases. Kurt probably didn't realize how much he said it until the audience starting making countless signs at live shows with the phrase written on them. This phrase became so popular and synonamous with Angle that he had to re-vamp it going into TNA so the people would stop thinking of him as a WWE wrestler and begin relating him with TNA.

Ric Flair
"Wooooooo..."
This wasn't even a catch-PHRASE... more like catch-NOISE. As a matter of fact, it could be the first thing to ever be repeated by an audience at a wrestling show. I'm sure that LONG after Ric Flair is dead and buried, we're still going to hear traces of the Woooo's at live shows.

Bret Hart
"I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be."
Honestly, I think it's the dumbest phrase ever. But who cares... the people love it. When they hear it, they think of Bret Hart. That's what makes it so popular.

"The excellence of execution."
Is there any better way to define Bret Hart? He thought up his own definition, and it stuck with the audience. He'll be remembered for it forever.

John Cena
"You can't see me!"
You can't deny that these words form the most popular catchphrase of the new milennium in professional wrestling. It began as a jibe that added to his "thug-life" gimmick and has grown to be a staple in his performances. Granted, with his current character, it fits him like pantyhose on an elephant... but it's still popular, nonetheless.

Under-talented? No.
Under-CARD? Yes.

I only gave this short thought, so I'm going to go with my instinct. I think that a wrestler needs a lot more appeal than a few choice words in order to become successful in pro-wrestling. However, there were a few midcarders than rode the wave of success with some help from their catchphrases. To me, the most memorable was...

"The Road Dogg" Jesse James
"Oh, you didn't know? Your ass better call somebody!"
I remember that the New Age Outlaws were over as heels in the mid 1990's. I enjoyed their work as early tag team champions and feuds with the likes of Foley/Funk. But, I didn't begin LOVING them until they joined Degeneration X. Once they turned babyface and started spitting out this catchphrase during their ring entrance, the sky was the limit for them. I remember that there was a time where I wanted to see a WWE show for no other reason than to say this phrase with the audience as the Outlaws came down the ramp.

The catchphrase is very important in wrestling. IMO, there are only two things that a wrestler can do to be successful in professional wrestling: 1. Be able to perform well in the ring. 2. Be a good mic worker. I think that 2 is more important than 1. Evidence of this are the biggest draws in wrestling history: Hulk Hogan, Steve Austin, and The Rock. Sure they put on some great matches here and there, but I don't think anyone can argue that their ability to talk wasn't far better then their in ring abilities. They were fun to watch when they were just wrestling, but they became a spectacle when you started to hear, "Whatcha gonna do, And that's the bottom line, and If you smell what the Rock is cookin".

By far the most successful catchphrase of all time is, "If you smell what the Rock is cookin". Though, there are plenty that have been great and that have stood the test of time. For example: "Best there is, best there was, and the best there every will be. To be the man, you have to beat the man. Watcha gonna do? Austin 3:16." There are countless more.

Sure catchphrases have enabled the under-card to become superstars. We didn't give a damn about the Rock until we could smell what he was cookin'. Austin was an after thought until he told us what Austin 3:16 meant. Also, you can see it happening today with the Miz. Little by little you can hear the crowd join in on his "reallys" and "I'm the Miz and I'm Awesome."

The catch phrase may be THE most important tool in pro wrestling. Like D-Man said, it's abotu being memorable. If you want to get over, the crowd has to remember who you are from show to show. WHile it's nice to be a good in-ring worker, history shows that charisma and promos matter way more when it comes to getting over with a crowd. Hogan, Rock, Cena, Austin, etc. are all decent to good workers (and before anyone gets pissed about Austin's name being there, just remember how he was after he hurt his neck...and that was when he was his most popular. He was a punch/kick machine.)

The catch phrase gets a crowd involved, and they remember "Oh, this is the guy who says (fill in the blank).

I'm going to separate this into two categories: Best non-Rock Catchprases and Best Rock Catchphrases, because let's face it, the Rock was the best guy, ever, at this, and probably the best promo man in history, period.

Best Non-Rock Catchphrases-

Hulk Hogan: Watcha gonna do, when Hulk Hogan, the 24" pythons, and all his Hulkamaniacs, run wild on you!

New Age Outlaws: Their whole entrance was awesome, and over as hell. "Oh you didn't know...."

Ted DiBiase: Everybody's got a price...

Ric Flair: I'm a kiss-stealing, wheeling, dealing, jet-flying, limousine-riding son-of-a-gun!

Ric Flair: To be the man--WOOO!--ya gotta beat the man!

Steve Austin: And that's the bottom line, cause Stone Cold said so!

Scott Hall: Hey yo....

Scott Hall: One more...for the good guys!

L.O.D.: Ahhhhhhhh what a rush!

Mr. Perfect: Simply...perfect.

Edge & christian: So, for the benefit of those with flash photography...

NWO: Cause when you're NWO...you're NWO 4 Life

Chris Jerich: I am...the Ayatollah...of Rock and Rollah!

Kurt Angle: It's true, oh it's true!

Best Rock Catchphrases-

11. THE MOST electrifying move in sports entertainment!

10. If you smelllllelelelelllllalallelll....what the Rock...is...cooking.

9. For the mmmillllions (crowd chants 'AND MILLIONS') of the Rock's fans

8. You want to go ONE ON ONE with the Great one?

7. Do you like...pie?

6. The Rock is going to take that (insert random object)...shine it up real nice....turn that sumbitch sideways and STICK IT STRAIGHT UP YOUR CANDY ASS!

5. Know you're role, and shut your mouth!

4. The Rock will LAYETH THE SMACKETH DOWN on your candy ass!

3. Quiet Michael Cole...the Rock's fans are chanting his name... (crowd goes ROCKY! ROCKY! ROCKY!)

2. What did you say your name was, jabronie? (Person starts to answer) IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOUR NAME IS!

1. Finally, the Rock HAS COME BACK to (fill in the blank).

I don't think so, because like I said above, history has shown us that the most important talent to getting ove isn't really in the ring, it's on the mic and with the people. It gives depth to a character, and helps them differentiate from all the other wrestlers. It makes sense, because, well, it's wrestling, so everybody's a wrestler. The only way to really differentiate yourself is to speak well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back