• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Boston Celtics are Old

Big Sexy

Deadly Rap Cannibal
I was going to put this in the NBA thread, but I figured it was a big enough topic to warrant its own thread. 2 years ago the Celtics made trades to acquire Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett. When the trade was made the Celtics immediately were considered an elite team, but they also became one of the oldest teams.

When the trade happened I figured they had a 2-3 year window to win a title and seems like I was right. The won the title their first year together, last year with an injured Kevin Garnett they lost in the second round (even with Garnett healthy I don't think they would have won the title), and now this year they are hanging on to the 3 seed in the East. Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, and KG are all having some of their worst seasons statistically and Pierce and KG have both missed some games due to injuries. I really don't see them as NBA title contenders at this point.

When the Celtics made these trades they got rid of some good young talent and draft picks. Rajon Rondo is really the only "good" young talent they have left. After this season Ray Allen is a free agent and who knows how much longer KG is going to be at elite status with all of the injuries and decreased production he has faced the last couple years. The Celtics future doesn't really look that bright at this point.

The Miami Heat did a similar thing a few years ago when they traded away part of their young nucleus in Lamar Odom and Caron Butler to get Shaq. Like the Celtics, Miami was able to win a title but after that their production fell dramatically and they are still in the middle of trying to build a contending team. The main difference is that Miami's top superstar Dwyane Wade is currently only 28. Boston's biggest star Paul Pierce will be 33 at the beginning of next season and Rajon Rondo, although a very good player, is not a superstar.

These are just some observations I have made and I want to know from Celtics fans if you think it was worth it. Knowing you will need to rebuild in the very near future was getting one NBA title and 2 or 3 years of being an elite team worth all of this? Personally I think any time you have a chance to get a title it is worth it, but the Celtics have definitely paid a high price.

I completely agree with you, they are too old. Just watch Garnett he moves like a 70 year old man with a hip replacement and Allen is missing shots he could have made in his sleep. I think it was a good idea that just didn't work out, and we should have known it wouldn't, they both were way past their prime. We gave up a lot for Garnett and Allen, Jefferson, Gerald Green, Delonte West. Sure we got one championship out of it but it's gonna be a few years before the Celtics will win another. Fortunately the East is so weak we will still make it in the playoffs for a few years, but there are so many up and coming teams that it wont last long.

They definetly made the right move, despite their current situation. Winning a championship is the ultimate goal. Before the trades, the Celtics were a complete joke. They instantly were able to become the best team in the league and win a title. Why would you take that back? I don't know they'd ever be able to win a title with what they gave up. Sure, Jefferson is a decent player and Jeff Green is as well, but they aren't bringing you a title.

At the moment, the Celts seem to be rather screwed. Garnett is done, Allen is past his prime, Pierce is constantly injured, and Rasheed Wallace is 50 pounds overweight. They'll be lucky to win a first round series this year. The rebuilding process around Rondo should start as soon as possible. However, Celtics fans will still have that championship to enjoy during the upcoming mediocre years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back