The Best Wrestler In The Independent Scene Today

Ferbian

Has Returned.
There's a lot of decent to good wrestlers in the independent scene. In Ring of Honor, Pro Wrestling NOAH, AJPW, NJPW etc.

All of these wrestlers have some kind of thing going for themselves, some appeal to others more than the next one however. Some are just overall great, and some simply suck. However there has got to be someone that stands out for some people on this boards.

I'll admit I know very little on the independent scene, much less the abilities of the wrestlers around the world.

Personally, a guy that appeals very well to me is Kenta, for obvious reasons. He's well rounded in the ring, enough to make it work with practically anybody in the world, no matter the size I'm sure. Always thought though that the selling of the independent scene, especially the Japanese scene kinda ruins it a bit. But that's just me that likes a bit of legitimacy in the selling.

However, that might just be my choice, I'm sure some disagree, some agree. That is what we got this thread for.

So, who is the best wrestler in the independent scene to you?

Davey Richards

The man is on a streak the likes of which I don't know if I've seen before. He is the current PWG champion, a very strong candidate to take the ROH World Title from Tyler Black in the next month, and just coming off a great tag team run with Eddie Edwards in the American Wolves. He is putting on great matches with anyone he steps into the ring with and has at least one MOTY candidate against Tyler Black at Death Before Dishonor, a match that I am actually about to watch.

Davey Richards certainly is on a role at the moment, but I am a total mark for Mike Quackenbush. He is the most technically sound competitor in the indy's at the moment and he can fly like a little piggy bitch without being a spot monkey. I don't think i've seen a match where he hasn't impressed me.

I'm going with Hiroshi Tanahashi from NJPW. There's a reason why is the top ace of NJPW b/c he can wrestle any type of match and make it look good. The man is a former 4-time IWGP Heavyweight champion and has defended the belt in some of the greates recent matches in NJPW against the likes of Kurt Angle, Go Shiozaki, Keji Mutoh, and AJ Styles. He has a great blend of technical, high-flying, submission wrestling. He can also play a perfect heel or face character with an in-ring style to match the current persona. He has to be one of if not the best puro wrestler today.

Do people that are contracted wrestlers to large Japanese companies like New Japan count as "indy".

I mean, I get that WWE is the center of everyone's existence, but....calling someone like Hiroshi Tanahashi an indy guy just seems weird. Calling New Japan Pro Wrestling an indy just seems weird.

Anyway, excluding that, I would say it's Chris Hero. I have to say that, and I'm not even a huge fan of the guy. That must mean he's the best thing going right now.

I knew that Davey Richards was going to get the majority of votes on this, and I have to agree. But there is someone else I think deserves a lot of praise, and that man is none other than Kevin Steen.

Kevin Steen is not your prototypical "indy style" wrestler. He's a bigger guy I guess you could say. But damn, he's awesome to watch. He has amazing athletic ability for a guy his size and has been known to hit a moonsault from time to time. The intensity he brings to the ring is unmatched by anyone other than Davey Richards. Steen can work any kind of match perfectly. Want a comedy match? Kevin Steen can do it. Want a good brawl? Kevin Steen can do it. Want a bloody street fight? Kevin Steen can do it.

But there is something else that sets Steen apart from a majority of independent wrestlers. The dude is incredible on the mic. He has been the main reason his feud with El Generico has been as hot and exciting as it is. The man knows what to say and how to say it. He knows how to get the crowd to hang on every word he says. Kevin Steen is just the total package when a good amount of wrestlers only offer one thing.

How about Austin Aries, I'm a big fan of his because of his ability inside the ring. He has accomplished alot during his time with ROH and is one of the mosty succesful wrestlers ever in ROH. Another has to be Davey Richards, he is very impressive and has been on a role lately, I think very highly of him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back