• Bill Goldberg

• Edge

• Rhyno

• Big Show

• (Your external choice)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pay Per Ghost

What they f*ck happened in the thread section here
Part 1 of a series of threads that will follow determining the best executers of legendary moves.

We start with the SPEAR!

Obviously, we can call it a double leg takedown or even a Gore (for our animal friendly viewers) but lets have a good ole' fashioned raising of the hands and decide who did it ...best, and obviously back it up please.

Here's my choice:

Rhyno

Goldberg does have a very strong case but Rhyno's gore was always ALWAYS so very impactful and he executes it to this day, immaculately. A finisher that perfectly fits his agressive character, which is kinda not the case with Edge, and the echoing of GORE! GORE! GORE! just make it that much more incredible. Here's a reason why-

[YOUTUBE]GhossoFaDu8[/YOUTUBE]​

Interesting.

There's a lot of good spears out there. Yet I'll have to admit that I find Batista's spear to be my absolute favorite. It has brutality behind it, as well as he just looks legit as fuck when he takes people down. His size and power makes it believable to no matter who he's against he'd be believable in taking them down. Matter of a fact he has practically taken anybody down with a spear.

[YOUTUBE]fYrC2gRC9xo[/YOUTUBE]​

I love it how he kinda leaps forth whenever he performs the spear. Also the Elijah Burke spear into a Spinebuster was absolutely sick.

I have always loved the Spear, no matter with whom it comes from. This decision for me, was a three way tie between Edge, who used to execute it to a T, with perfect crowd pop, Rhyno, who makes it look devestating, and Goldberg. The one reason im going to have to go for Goldberg, is becuse I'm not sure if many remember, but the time that he plowed Jericho through the barricade was just absolutly brutal, and was just an amazement to watch.

When Big Show was using it for a while I thought it looked pretty sick. Could you imagine being charged at and speared by that. Not the best of all time but I thought still pretty cool when he used it.

Obviously, we can call it a double leg takedown or even a Gore (for our animal friendly viewers)

Not to sound like real pedantic prick...but isnt a double leg take down more of a standing tackle, no running no momentum. Just grabbing the opponent with both arms around the opponent's legs while keeping the chest close to the opponent, and using this position to force the opponent to the floor.

I think the official term for a spear is a SHOULDER BLOCK TAKEDOWN.

The Spear in my opinion is as much about the person taking the spear as it is about the person delivering it. I mean for an example of this you just have to look back at Goldberg's spear on the Rock, easily one of the best looking spears i've ever seen. Whoever earlier said it is Batista is obviously just a fan of his coz his is always somewhere between a shoulder block and a spine buster, it has never actually looked like an effective spear. Rhyno will get a lot of votes because a lot of his spears are into tables, or through sets or just basically more hardcore than others. Then we come to Edge, i think Edge is great at delivering spears, the way his legs are right up so he is almost horizontal when he hits it makes it look like he's putting everything into it which in turn makes it look like a big move, (Unlike Batista). Big Shows was devestating but a slap to the face is devastating when you're the size of him. He didn't put enough speed into i don't think to make it look as punishing as it could do. So i guess i would say that Edge delivers the Spear the best with Goldberg and Rhyno a close second but in reality its about who they deliver the spear to, to get a more accurate result i gues we'd have to put a video of each of them delivering the spear to the same guy and decide from there.

Rhyno. Period.

He is, far and away, the master of the move. Goldberg made it relevant, and i thank him for it, but he never really made it mean anything. The Spear was well executed, (most of the time) but it was still just a setup move to his Jackhammer. Edge has never, and will never convince me he's man enough to hit that move. And while Batista got over with it, i hate the way he executes the move.

Every time Rhyno hits the Gore, i mark out. Its been over a decade since i accidentally stumbled upon ECW one night, and i get goosebumps every time. He gets my vote, 1000 times over.

Goldberg should be thrown out of consideration, only because he legitimately injured people doing it. How can it be considered the "best in the business", if you're not protecting the people you're delivering said move to?

My vote has to go to Batista. It looked devastating every time he hit it, the most memorable being to Elijah Burke coming off the top rope. It looked like he broke him in half.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ffgkgc-lnE

When Batista started using the spear, it really legitimized his arsenal, in my mind. All of his other moves were based on pure power, and he used actual technique and speed while using the spear. It's one move I never saw him botch either. Edge is a close second, if for nothing more that it's the finale to his moveset, but it is week looking, at times. I have to go with Batista.

Let's also not forget that Bobby Lashley used the spear for a while and it was very effective for him. I'm OK with Batista's and Edge's version, but the top two are Goldberg and Rhino in that order. Rhino's was always devastating and would turn people inside out, but nobody delivered the spear with more accuracy and with more crowd reaction than Goldberg. My three top spears that Goldberg did (in random order) were: First, when he speared Rosey of 3-minute warning through the barricade after saving Booker T. Second, the spear on Jericho through the glass of the Elimination Chamber. Third, the triple spear in WCW when he threw Jimmy Hart into the hands of the Faces of Fear and then speared all of them at the same time. Absolutely sick!

Edge has the best spear in the business because it is the most versatile. I'll admit that at first I was going to give it to Goldberg or Rhyno, but Edge is just crazier. Goldberg or Rhyno top out with a spear through a table, but Edge has speared Jericho from a table and Mick Foley through a flaming table. Then during the TLC rivalry with the Hardy's and Dudley's, he speared Jeff Hardy from the top rope while Jeff was suspended in mid air from the rafters by the Tag Team Title Belts. So the spear probably fits Goldberg and Rhyno's characters better, but Edge makes spearing into an art form.

This will no doubt be a controversial choice but I am going to say Edge is the person who performs my favourite spear. I am a massive Edge fan but that is not my reason for choosing him. Goldberg, while it looked impactful (is that a word?) I feel that his spear was pretty boring. Same goes for Bobby Lashley. I don't really know Rhyno. And I feel that although The Big Show's looks absolutely lethal, he doesn't use it enough for him to qualify.

Which leaves Edge. While he is not the most ripped guy to do it, he is still 6ft 4in and 241lb. He isn't what you would call small (although for the sake of realism, he shouldn't use it against giants). The thing I love about Edge's spear is that it is an event. From the moment he sees his downed opponent with his wide open eyes to the end of the pin, I am captivated. The taunt in the corner and his look after the spear is what makes the move so damn good, when carried out fully it isn't just a move, it is a sequence.

[YOUTUBE]ZzzNytzypGE[/YOUTUBE]​

To me, Edge is what a spear is all about. He takes what is a simple move and makes it very special.

Interesting.

There's a lot of good spears out there. Yet I'll have to admit that I find Batista's spear to be my absolute favorite. It has brutality behind it, as well as he just looks legit as fuck when he takes people down. His size and power makes it believable to no matter who he's against he'd be believable in taking them down. Matter of a fact he has practically taken anybody down with a spear.

[YOUTUBE]fYrC2gRC9xo[/YOUTUBE]​

I love it how he kinda leaps forth whenever he performs the spear. Also the Elijah Burke spear into a Spinebuster was absolutely sick.

i always thought batistas spears were absolutely terrible. i always called it the spear buster because it always looked like he tripped and made it look like a spinebuster. to me he spears sucked

I think i'm gonna have to vote for Goldberg... although LSN you do make a very good point, I just feel like Goldberg's spear alone helped boost wrestlings popularity back in the 90s... So many people who didn't like wrestling or used to and stopped watching would still be drawn into Goldberg matches... his spear was like a NFL hit minus the pads and it caught everyone's attention... the way he did it within a minute and just decimated his opponents was incredible. Not to mention the fact that every other spear on this list came after his and was an obvious attempt to capitalize on the popularity of Goldberg's spear

Goldberg because the way he delivered it was totally beast which totally fit his character and even though he injured people it always looked like it would hurt especially when he speared jericho through the barricade like someone said before. Edge delivers it great too but i think he puts too much effort into making it perfect. Rhyno's gore was powerful but I just don't like the way he delivered it but that's my opinion so I say Goldberg. And also for Batista's spear it looked always poorly delivered.

I'll have to say Monty Brown w/ the Pounce as my favorite version but Edge comes in 2nd as it becomes a time w/ the fans plus in the new sd vs raw game the fans chant it before its done. Goldberg while Impactful just was a set-up to the Jackhammer. But My pick definitely "the Pounce". And Just curious OP how do you add a youtube video when posting

I agree with mral. The Pounce. Monty Brown. Any guy can do a spear, but Monty made it different, and in doing so made it look a lot more dominating. I saw Pounces where I thought people must have been genuinely hurt, it was great.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgIr65AFL6g[/YOUTUBE]

See the one from ECW where he hits Sabu. I don't know if it's meant to look like that, but Sabu looks like he's just been hit by a train or something.

RHYNO HAS A VERY GOOD GORE, HE DOES IT VERY WELL, GOLDBERG PROBABLY HAS THE MOST POWERFUL LOOKING ONE, BUT EDGE HAS A COMBO OF THE TWO, ANYWAY HE'S A 6'5 250 POUND GUY! AND EDGE HAS THE MOST CUTE SPEAR OF THEM ALL.

Who is the best at using the Spear? Edge. I don't see how anyone else should win this poll. Edge is the best at using the Spear because he took the move and made it even more famous. Many people associate the move with him, while the other choices in the poll have other finishers that people usually associate them with other than the Spear. Edge's spear also looks the coolest out of any of them.

My vote has to either go to the obvious choice Goldberg, or my very biast opinion, my favorite wrestler, Edge.

Goldberg's spear just knocked his opponent completely out. Once you seen it coming, with his high speeds, it was hard to stop. Goldberg wasn't afraid to hurt anyone when he did his spear. The only problem I have with Goldberg's spear is that it wasn't really his finisher. It was more the JackHammer that finished off his opponents whick somewhat takes away from his deadly impactful spear.

Edge's spear is something totaly different. Edge's spear doesn't use his power but more his ability to sense when his opponents are about done. I don't think his spear is impactful but I do think there's a lot behind it. The way he sets it up for example. He sets there and pulls his hair out and just gets so into the move. He gives it a psyco freak kind of feel like its the worst thing you can have happen to you. Its not so much the Spear itself, but more of the of the way he does it.

Others, Bobby Lashley, and Rhyno's Gore!

The gore in my opinion is not really meant to be a finisher, but in the case of Rhyno it totally fits him.

I don't know if it is todays wrestlers but Batista seriously looks like a running hug tackle and I never really got under edge going "nuts" before he did the spear. Goldberg,Rhyno, and Bastista are ten folds better at selling the "its finished" look.

Im loving this topic, If i could make a suggestion for the next move. how bout the DDT.

First off Edge spears sucks! period! A spear should look like its breaking somebody into 1000 bits! Edge spear looks like it would wind you and thats it.
Batista and Lasheys spears looks horrible! Almost forced.
and the fact that Big Shows spear is even on this list makes me laugh
Rhinos spear is ok hes got the speed and explosion but its kinda like Goldberg light.
Goldbergs Spear is the best of all time. The way he just explodes on people looks brutal, it looks like it hurts and would knock people out and in my opinion his spear on Christain(when he had his long hair) really is one of if not the best spear i've ever seen(and i've seen alot!)
Goldber,Goldberg,Goldberg!

I can't believe people are voting for Edge, mostly because he's the most popular among IWC folk. It's one of the most unrealistic finishers going. He's far too small of a man for the move to look realistic, at least when he's wrestling the Main Eventers. Rhyno and GOldberg are both huge men who look devastating when they hit the move. As a fan of Edge, I wish he'd go back to his Edgecution DDT. Goldberg's Spear undoubtedly looked the best, and yes, part of that is because it was stiff as all Hell, but that's besides the point.

I voted Goldberg all the way simply becausealthough Rhyno's is good that is where his finisher ends. Goldberg would after pummeling a dude pick him up and hit the Jackhammer. Sure he might have hurt people in the process but it made watching Nitro all the worthwile...

My vote goes for Rhino. Although Goldberg spear is more brutal looking, like it was said before it is a set up for the jackhammer. When Edge does it is a running hug. No impact especially from a short distance. Rhino has always delivered the move with perfect impact. His size also makes it more lethal. My final point is his spear is a acutal finisher. Almost no one else's spear is a finisher. Edge added his verison of the spear later on in his career. Rhino all the way!!!

I'll have to say Monty Brown w/ the Pounce as my favorite version but Edge comes in 2nd as it becomes a time w/ the fans plus in the new sd vs raw game the fans chant it before its done. Goldberg while Impactful just was a set-up to the Jackhammer. But My pick definitely "the Pounce". And Just curious OP how do you add a youtube video when posting

I just had to respond. the pounce isn't a spear, it's a shoulder block..

anyway, i'd say the best spear was Rhyno.. the gore always looked like he cut the person in half... a close second would be Goldberg and i always thought Batista's spear looked horrible

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back