• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

That Paul Heyman promo....

L@RISANO

R.I.P Mustang Sally :( :( :(
The Paul Heyman promo segment before last night's Main Event on RAW was brilliantly improvised after he did something similar last week on the Fast Lane-fallout RAW show.

However, I made a point in another thread saying that regardless of what happens between Reigns and Heyman, the Main Event build absolutely Needed a Brock Lesnar appearance to give it some much needed hype, after all, "It takes 2 to Tango".

Last night, many praised Heyman for the promo he did, but I couldn't help but feel empty at the end of it, regardless of its obvious quality.

At the end of the day, the Main Event is between two guys who are not Mic Wizards by any stretch of the imagination, and are much more at home brawling and standing face to face in a more "legit" style, and unfortunately the Main Event sorely lacks that important aspect of the 2 going at it physically.

As a guy who plays TEW :D , there is a grading system for each storyline's progress(All storylines start at an "E" Grade), and I'd say that since Fast Lane, this Main Event build involving the two Main Guys in Brock Lesnar and Roman Reigns with Paul Heyman as a support character, is being propped up at a meagre "D+" Rating at this point, and I'll have to say, that even though I was amongst those supporting a Brock-Roman match-up, I can't really see this ending any higher than a "B+"(which would only happen if they manage a 5* match).

Your thoughts?

Honestly, he's doing what he can. Vince REALLY fucked up last week by not utilizing Brock. If I was just tuning in to watch the Road to Wrestlemania, I would think that it was Roman Reigns v.s The Authority at Wrestlemania, and that's not good at all.

The fact that Brock and Roman haven't gotten physical once yet since the Royal Rumble is astonishingly irresponsible when pushing a main event title match.

Honestly, he's doing what he can. Vince REALLY fucked up last week by not utilizing Brock. If I was just tuning in to watch the Road to Wrestlemania, I would think that it was Roman Reigns v.s The Authority at Wrestlemania, and that's not good at all.

The fact that Brock and Roman haven't gotten physical once yet since the Royal Rumble is astonishingly irresponsible when pushing a main event title match.

Indeed. Also consider that Heyman and Reigns didn't even directly interact last night either, which puzzles me even more.

Perhaps, the WWE are in some sort of damage control and are assessing their options with regards to the Brock-Roman and Orton-Rollins storylines, which means both are practically at standstills until the Brock situation is sorted out properly.
Just a thought I have given the situation at this time.

Heyman looked pretty pissed. The guy pours himself into his promos and is the best salesman WWE has, yet they couldn't even get him a working mic.

Great improvisation indeed, and further evidence of why Heyman is the single greatest talker in WWE history.

I just watched it on YouTube. Very entertaining, it didn't make me any more excited for Mania or interested in the match but I enjoyed Heyman's wit and delivery.

The Promo was A+ but what else do you expect from Paul Heyman. It was very entertaining and i swear Paul could see a Broom vs a Mop match and make it exciting.. This of course is my opinion,but did anyone else notice that Paul's Mic cut out like 3 times??

Cena had a long promo with no problems whatsoever,but Heyman does it and it cuts out like 3 times.. Might be WWE's way of getting back at Brock by making Paul look foolish,but Paul overcame and nailed it.. Even got a little jab at Lillian

I have no doubt that officials were cutting his mic on purpose but at the same time, the whole night seemed weird. I was in the crowd last night and many of the segments shown had horrible sound. The majority of the Miz segment had little audio outside of the fake commercial. The Randy Orton segment where he called Rollins a dumbass had virtually no audible sound whatsoever in the arena. And how many of those mics get dropped a night. Maybe Paul got a defective one but one can only speculate. Either way great promo.

It was a great promo and proved why Heyman is one of the best, if not the best talker in the business today.

You have to kind of feel sorry for him though. He is basically carrying this feud between the two. Other than the face to face interaction at the cancelled RAW, have Lesnar and Reigns ever been in the ring at the same time. I would liked to have seen at least one match between the two of them, so have an idea of what Mania would be like.

Lesnar is booked for RAW next week and one final RAW before the Mania match. I don't think we're going to see them rough it up at all. Maybe it's better that way, I have no idea.

Also consider that Heyman and Reigns didn't even directly interact last night either, which puzzles me even more.

They did that already a few weeks ago and don't know that Creative wants the entire pre-WM31 period to feature Brock's rep exchanging verbal barbs with Roman, rather than having the two fighters doing it. Often, meetings between the participants turn physical, and that wouldn't (or shouldn't) be happening with Roman and Heyman.

After all, we don't know what was supposed to happen in the program Brock skipped last week.

But yes, the promo was typically brilliant, and I also feel they did the cut-out of the mic on purpose.

Paul Heyman's promos obviously aren't scripted and his promo abilities have always been top notch, some of the best in the business for as long as he's been in the business. However, as good as Heyman is on the mic, there's only so much that he himself can do when it comes to hyping a big match. After all, he's not one of the men competing in the match, he just happens to be the mouthpiece for one of the men who is and he's nowhere to be seen. Brock Lesnar is essentially MIA and, if reports are accurate, he seems to be pissed because Vince McMahon doesn't feel up to dropping his drawers and bending over for him anymore when it comes to money. As for Roman Reigns, in my opinion, Reigns just doesn't have the promo abilities, he hasn't developed in terms of personality to warrant being in this spot and he doesn't seem to be over with a pretty significant percentage of the audience.

There's been zero interaction between Lesnar & Reigns since the post Royal Rumble episode of Raw. If you want to build a championship match into something that has a "big fight feel" to it for WrestleMania, you need the guys competing in the match to actually be in segments together helping to build said match. The lackluster build isn't Paul Heyman's fault, in my opinion, it's the fault of Brock Lesnar for not having the professionalism to do what he's supposed to be doing and the fault of Vince McMahon for putting a green kid that's been flying solo without a parachute for all of half a year or so and who obviously needs more time to develop because he can't really pull his own weight in terms of the build for this match.

I don't see how this is Brock's fault. He has a contract, he's sticking to the contract. Vince messed up last week by not using Brock, but it's not his fault that he's not at a show that he's not scheduled or contracted for.

Heyman is the best in the business at what he does. I could listen to that guy talk/promo for an hour straight.

The fact Lesnar isn't around is WWE's fault. It's amazing to me nobody has called them out on their B.S. They strip Daniel Bryan of the belt cause they needed a "fighting champion" and then put it on Lesnar but only sign him to fight 4? 5? times and show up 10. Ridiculous.

On a bright side, all the compliments for Reigns lead me to believe when Reigns pulls of the upset and Lesnar goes with UFC, Reigns will "sign" with Heyman so Heyman can promo for him going forward after WrestleMania.

Your thoughts?
Promo was great and Heyman was on fire. However, yes, Brock being there is what feud needs. Heck, him even doing something like this via satelite can help a lot to build up a match

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaZzbwmF0fk

I can argue with something else: look at Reigns at Royal Rumble. Now look at Reigns one night after Royal Rumble when that RAW was canceled because of storm and it was just couple of promos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKsej4TqcEQ

Just having him look at "The Beast" eyes and telling him that he is gona beat him made him look 100 times better then him winning whole Rumble match. Heyman helps and that is what they want in whole "absence of Brock" thing, but its far more effective to sell a match if Brock would be there even for just standing there and looking intimidating while Heyman talks.

I was really hoping Lesnar would appear last night. Brock Lesnar running in on Reigns' match and giving him an F-5 would have completely got me ready for Mania and would have been a good place to start building. With that being said, if anybody can sell a match, it's Paul Heyman... but Brock Lesnar needs to show up at least three of these last 4 weeks in order to create that feeling of a megamatch.

Right now the top 3 matches at Mania are:

Sting/HHH
Lesnar/Reigns
Taker/Wyatt

That leaves 3 men to sell 3 matches. HHH, Reigns/Heyman, and Bray Wyatt literally are selling these matches by themselves. Taker apparently will not show up until Mania, Lesnar is obviously still working limited dates, and who the hell knows when Sting is going to pop back up again. I would have really liked to see more interaction this year as I think it's such a wasted opportunity... especially Wyatt/Taker.

Back on topic, I'd say your grading system works. As of right now, Lesnar and Reigns haven't done much to make me want to see them beat the hell out of each other... There's no heat there at all. If Lesnar appears next week brutalizing RR, and than the week after we see Brock get hit with a SMP, than I could start appreciating the build. A match is worthless without a proper build.

Paul Heyman's promos obviously aren't scripted and his promo abilities have always been top notch, some of the best in the business for as long as he's been in the business. However, as good as Heyman is on the mic, there's only so much that he himself can do when it comes to hyping a big match. After all, he's not one of the men competing in the match, he just happens to be the mouthpiece for one of the men who is and he's nowhere to be seen. Brock Lesnar is essentially MIA and, if reports are accurate, he seems to be pissed because Vince McMahon doesn't feel up to dropping his drawers and bending over for him anymore when it comes to money. As for Roman Reigns, in my opinion, Reigns just doesn't have the promo abilities, he hasn't developed in terms of personality to warrant being in this spot and he doesn't seem to be over with a pretty significant percentage of the audience.

There's been zero interaction between Lesnar & Reigns since the post Royal Rumble episode of Raw. If you want to build a championship match into something that has a "big fight feel" to it for WrestleMania, you need the guys competing in the match to actually be in segments together helping to build said match. The lackluster build isn't Paul Heyman's fault, in my opinion, it's the fault of Brock Lesnar for not having the professionalism to do what he's supposed to be doing and the fault of Vince McMahon for putting a green kid that's been flying solo without a parachute for all of half a year or so and who obviously needs more time to develop because he can't really pull his own weight in terms of the build for this match.

When you put it like that, you almost have to winder why or how did this situation happen in the first place?

They've known for a long time they wanted Reigns to go against Lesnar, and it's beyond me why Cena has been feuding with him. I can understand the Summerslam rematch, but in reality Reigns should have had a least one match in the time between then and now. Or at least since the Rumble and now. Why they are keeping them apart doesn't thrill me. Give us a taste of what to expect, unless the WWE already knows.

Christ Reigns has had more interaction with Heyman than anyone else on that side. Reigns is being made to suffer for McMahon and Lesnar's inability to be adults really.

They did that already a few weeks ago and don't know that Creative wants the entire pre-WM31 period to feature Brock's rep exchanging verbal barbs with Roman, rather than having the two fighters doing it. Often, meetings between the participants turn physical, and that wouldn't (or shouldn't) be happening with Roman and Heyman.

After all, we don't know what was supposed to happen in the program Brock skipped last week.

But yes, the promo was typically brilliant, and I also feel they did the cut-out of the mic on purpose.

Still, they could at least try to have Reigns instigate something with Heyman which could be a sort of callout to Brock Lesnar.

As I said, this is a 3-man storyline involving 2 main guys in Brock and Roman whilst Heyman is the supporting character. There is only so much that Heyman can do on a mic to keep people invested, and we all know that Roman's strength doesn't lie in talking on a mic either, and thus, the feud thus far hasn't allowed him to show his persona to the fullest in any way.

As laodaron said: anyone who tuned in last night would think that it is Reigns vs the Authority rather than Reigns vs Lesnar. That is a huge pity, lMO, and they really have to more than maximise Brock's rumoured "2" appearances before Mania if the Main Event is to be a success.

Still, they could at least try to have Reigns instigate something with Heyman which could be a sort of callout to Brock Lesnar.

As I said, this is a 3-man storyline involving 2 main guys in Brock and Roman whilst Heyman is the supporting character. There is only so much that Heyman can do on a mic to keep people invested, and we all know that Roman's strength doesn't lie in talking on a mic either, and thus, the feud thus far hasn't allowed him to show his persona to the fullest in any way.

As laodaron said: anyone who tuned in last night would think that it is Reigns vs the Authority rather than Reigns vs Lesnar. That is a huge pity, lMO, and they really have to more than maximise Brock's rumoured "2" appearances before Mania if the Main Event is to be a success.

Didn't they do that with Cena and Jericho already. I remember Cena grabbing Heyman to AA him and Lesnar getting involved. Also Jericho put himself and Heyman in a match when he was hosting RAW and Heyman brought Lesnar out.

Amazing that he can come out to take on Jericho, but stays away when Reigns and Heyman are trading barbs, well sort of. Maybe next week Reigns should spear Heyman and see what happens.

I feel that they're waiting to go all in on the last Raw before wrestlemania. Brock was also supposed to be on next weeks Raw so we'll see what happens.

But at least we don't have throwaway garbage like Brock & Reigns teaming against Big Show & Kane.

Big Show and Kane. Is anyone else SICK AND TIRED of seeing these bums?

Completely agree. I find it quite pathetic how at the start of the show Reigns sorta of show up in Rollins promo with a face that said "hey, like, my feud sorta of walked out from last raw, can I pop in your feud?"

It was phenomenal but we've come to expect that. He's the best on promos and it was definitely needed for this feud. Reigns brought it too on Raw but we are being forced to wait for the physicality which is both frustrating and interesting.

The line about Andre was hilarious. I also like the picture he is painting. Roman is the golden boy and everyone knows it. Plus, Roman is capable of beating anyone except from Brock. It's such a simple concept but I really like it. Lay out the story and let us enjoy the ride. Moreover, it's realistic. Far more realistic that the feuds with HHH, Punk and, for the most part, Taker. That realism is grabbing my attention. The physicality between Reigns and Brock will be amazing, no doubt, but Heyman using his promos to sell this match should be no bother. That's his job.

Heyman flogging a dead horse comes to mind...

It's sad that, even with Paul Heyman, that they are struggling to make this match land with the audience. By the time Raw rolls around again, we are going to be 3 weeks away from making the event worth purchasing and worth watching. And truth be told, time is really running out for the WWE to make that goal a reality. Paul Heyman is a great talker, that much has been true forever. His promo on Raw was tremendous, that much is always true. But like I said, it seems to me as if he is flogging a head horse at this stage.

The two men who are in the main event of WrestleMania have talked face to face just twice since January. That is surely not good enough. Keeping their hands off of each other is sometime a good idea with the right people. And if the crowd are into that then it will pay off. But truth be told, no one is buying it at this point. And there is nothing that Paul Heyman can do about it.

Heyman flogging a dead horse comes to mind...

It's sad that, even with Paul Heyman, that they are struggling to make this match land with the audience. By the time Raw rolls around again, we are going to be 3 weeks away from making the event worth purchasing and worth watching. And truth be told, time is really running out for the WWE to make that goal a reality. Paul Heyman is a great talker, that much has been true forever. His promo on Raw was tremendous, that much is always true. But like I said, it seems to me as if he is flogging a head horse at this stage.

The two men who are in the main event of WrestleMania have talked face to face just twice since January. That is surely not good enough. Keeping their hands off of each other is sometime a good idea with the right people. And if the crowd are into that then it will pay off. But truth be told, no one is buying it at this point. And there is nothing that Paul Heyman can do about it.

We just have to look at the brawl between Bryan and Reigns going into Fast Lane, that gave a glimpse to the audience as to what they could expect... then think back to the go home show for the Rumble, when Brock came out and 'murdered' Seth Rollins, Kane and the Big Slow... that is the strong area for building a Brock Lesnar match and in this case, it is also the strong area for Roman Reigns as well, given where his strengths lie as a Superstar.

Too bad, the feud is plodding along slowly and the effect is of that One Face-Off segment on the snowed out RAW is now gone and practically forgotten...

Where is the WWE production team? Heyman is out there carrying this program on his shoulders when he could use the assistance of a few incredible hype packages. This is one area where the company excels and they've yet to utilize this for the WM main event. The best way to keep Brock hot is by visually reminding us. Mix in the Reigns and we have a winner. They used this tactic in the past with Brock and it works fine with his limited schedule.

Heyman certainly is beating a dead horse, but WWE could've saved itself the trouble by never making Lesnar champion in the first place. WWE's current roster lacks enough support to permit having a part-time champ. I have never been a fan of either Heyman, or Lesnar, Lesnar's contract basically makes the guy worthless, so even trying to promote him is pointless. While Sting may be very similar to Lesnar, Sting isn't in the picture of anything other than probably killing the Authority angle.
Perhaps the biggest killer, (even worse than Reigns' rushed push) is the fact the cat's out of the bag that Lesnar's likely headed back to MMA after WM. While Heyman is a creative genius, he's trying to promote a guy that's gone more than he's there. Furthermore, the lack of appearances and interaction with Reigns do the match no favors either.
I knew WWE would pay for making Lesnar champ sooner or later. He's had some great matches, but given his lack of appearances, it's next to impossible to get excited about anything involving Brock Lesnar anymore.

Heyman certainly is beating a dead horse, but WWE could've saved itself the trouble by never making Lesnar champion in the first place. WWE's current roster lacks enough support to permit having a part-time champ. I have never been a fan of either Heyman, or Lesnar, Lesnar's contract basically makes the guy worthless, so even trying to promote him is pointless. While Sting may be very similar to Lesnar, Sting isn't in the picture of anything other than probably killing the Authority angle.
Perhaps the biggest killer, (even worse than Reigns' rushed push) is the fact the cat's out of the bag that Lesnar's likely headed back to MMA after WM. While Heyman is a creative genius, he's trying to promote a guy that's gone more than he's there. Furthermore, the lack of appearances and interaction with Reigns do the match no favors either.
I knew WWE would pay for making Lesnar champ sooner or later. He's had some great matches, but given his lack of appearances, it's next to impossible to get excited about anything involving Brock Lesnar anymore.

I agree that Lesnar's run has been dismal. I like the guy but it's hard to get involved in someone who is never there. You're right Heyman can talk up a storm and sell refrigerators to Eskimos, but the lack of actually having Lesnar in person has put a damper on this.

I'm also wondering if they are keeping them apart for another reason. The WWE has put a lot of effort into putting Reigns over the last couple of weeks. Since the Rumble fiasco his reactions are better but still not there for the new face of the WWE. The next few RAW's are in very smarky cities and if he's going to face hostility it will come from those fans.

I'm sure the WWE doesn't want Lesnar as the one being cheered instead of Reigns. That would immediately negate the hard work they done trying to put him over. So maybe keeping them apart is the best, although it's doing nothing to build up this feud. As there is no history between the two, you would have thought that creative would have found a way to create something, other than Heyman talking about Reigns family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back