• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Taz replaces Don West: Good or Bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

My$terio_Fan

I can do whatever I want
So it's being reported on the mainsite that Don West has been officially been removed from his spot as color commentator, and replaced with Taz. It should also be noted that West will still remain with the company in a different position.

What do you think of this? West has alot of IWC hate, but will you miss him? Is Taz going to be better? Will it matter?

Personally, I'm surprised. I never thought they'd actually replace West. I didn't care for him but he's been there for a while. I prefer Taz, but Taz was never the best either. And now what does that mean for Taz/Joe. Will he still manage Joe?

Also alot of posters here have commented on how they can't watch because of West being so bad. Will these change bring in some new viewers, or is it just a minor move that won't effect ratings at all?

West was clearly on his way out. He's closely tied to Jeff Jarrett, and anyone tied to Jarrett right now is being buried or let go it seems, I'm not shocked that West is the latest victim of this.

West...well he's a shit commentator, isn't he? He was decent lately as a heel commentator, but his overall body of work is more than lacking. Taz is a clear upgrade in my book, especially if they have him siding with the heels.

I'm sure they'll find a way to continue the Taz-Joe angle, but I'm extremely pleased to see Taz take over the role of color commentator. About time TNA had a commentator worth a piss (Tenay is great as well).

Very disappointed with this. I hated West originally, but he was actually very entertaining as a Heel Color Commentator. Taz sucked the entire time he was with WWE, even before Vince began watering down his commentators, and turned them into "analysts".

Awful move on the part of TNA. Taz absolutely sucks behind the mic and is no where near as entertaining as West.

I am not really surprised by this move. It’s known that West stuck around for as long as he did because of Jarrett. Dixie was never high up on him and this would have happened long ago if Dixie didn’t let Jarrett keep him. It has been made clear that most of the people that were cool with Jeff are probably on the chopping block. Dixie just doesn’t want most of them so it’s good to see she is taking charge now with Jarrett gone for the time being.

Anyways, I think it’s a very good thing actually. Don West was doing better as a heel color commentator but he wasn’t good enough to say he was a great commentator or a good one. He had flashes of good and was entertaining at times, but overall he was just bad commentator. Taz replacing him is a huge improvement. I hope they have Taz play the heel color commentator to see what he can do in that role. He just might be a great heel commentator but we don’t know it because we’ve never seen him in that role. Also, Tenay isn’t as bad as some would have you believe. The only thing I don’t like about him is his acting but hopefully the announcing is improved now that he is working with someone who is better. The quality of the announcing should go up now that Taz is in the booth, we’ll just have to wait and see how he does.

I have to agree with Sidious - West was REALLY entertaining as a heel commentator.

In the past few months, there were actually times I found myself laughing out loud at some of the comments he made or the way he contradicted himself all the time.

I wonder how Tenay feels about the move considering these guys have worked together for a number of years and I have a feeling they're pretty close off screen.

I'm curious to see whether Taz works as a heel or face, but I'm guessing he'll work heel considering his alliance with Joe.

well as far as that goes i mean whoa!! that was fast didnt waste time... i mean i love the fact that that every thursday or that one sunday a month i got to hear don west as annoying as he is it was one of those things that made tna tna to me lol... i know its weird but thats how it is. i mean taz taking over prolly is better with a more direct heel announcer but ill miss don west..... oh well he never screamed pele anymore anyway

just like TNA to take something thats working and change it. Taz is not a great color commentator. West as the heel commentator was getting there. It was really adding something to the show. Im going to miss the classic comments about him making breakfast and texting Velvet Sky at 3:30 am , those were classic. Or during the brawl last week when he said "Someone needs to arrest Brother Ray", the interview with Tara. All good all funny its a shame TNA has to blow something thats working again

Well, if people who have ties with Jarrett are on the chopping block then its only a matter of time before Eric Young is gone. He would've been gone a long time ago if it wasn't for his in with Jarrett who kept pushing him and kept him around despite the fact Eric Young likely shouldn't have gotten those opportunities, certainly not over others.

As for Don West: It's about time. I absolutely hate Don West's commentary, and sure him being a heel was slightly better then before, but it was still terrible. He still should've been let go a long time ago and I'm glad he's no longer there, now I just wish Tenay would be removed. Tenay is just as bad, comes off as a prick and I just don't want to listen to him. Lately he's been far worse to me then West was and I would've gotten rid of Tenay before West. I think both need to go.. Taz is a better choice for color commentary and like I said a while ago when Taz was first coming to TNA, they should use him as a heel commentator to play up the MEM which is exactly what they'll do. He should be doing color commentary for Joe's matches and really putting him over, and that's exactly what will happen now. It's a good decision. I'd much rather have someone else in Tenay's place, though. Liiike.. Mick Foley!

Don West is the best commentator in wrestling other than Striker, and the fact that he is being replaced by Taz is a travesty. Taz was the most annoying guy on the headset that WWE had, and then when he didn't resign, the teams improved (though only a little). I'm very sad about this...as I really enjoyed West's very loud and booming voice. I hope he will still do his bit on ShopTNA.

West was starting to grow on me a little, but Taz is definite upgrade. West blew the heel role way out of proportion to thd point where it was ridiculously stupid and irritating. Taz has the experience, he does not suck on the mic, not even slightly, not sure where that shit come from. West's entertainment value was never too high. Besides, announce teams are always better with a former wrestler at the table.

For the record West already handles merchandise for the company (I got his autograph when I bought my Sting baseball bat), so when the main site says he's being 'moved' I'm unsure what they're on about.

Anyway, I love Don West. I love his enthusiasm and the originality which he brings to the job. He was never particularly educated on the subject of wrestling, nor we he particualarly eloquent, but he had natural charisma and always gave the impression of being legitimately excited by what he was watching, something that the bland Tennay utterly failed at.

Much of the IWC may be bouncing up and down in joy now; I know Meltzar voted him the worst commentator in the business at least once, but I for one will mourn the passing of one DW. I'd skip watching Impact live in protest if it was possible for me to watch the show live.

Carter is showing that she is falling into the trap by playing "Monkey See ... Monkey Do ..." with WWE. She is showing it with this move, by assuming simply because Taz came from WWE, that he has to be better. Couldn't be further from the truth. Taz was an absolutely lousy commentator in WWE. He was utterly stale and completely boring.

Carter is also showing it by following WWE's lead with looking for Hollywood writers instead of people who know wrestling, but are at least in touch with Pop Culture, like Vince Russo. He knows wrestling, and knows how to tap into the interests of the Casual fan, as well.

TNA was on a roll these past few weeks, and it saddens me to hear them taking a step back for a no-talent like Taz.

I always thought Don West and Mike Tenay were incredibly annoying as a team. Then they decided to try the Face/Heel Announce Team and in my opinion it worked out great. Don West was funny, and I thought him and Tenay grew to play off each other well. Taz wasn't bad at the job, but I'd consider him average at best. It'll be interesting to see whether or not they continue the Face/Heel Announce team gimmick with Taz taking West's place.

i can sum up the absolute atrocity that is Don West's commentary with one line from a PPV about a year ago, involving a Sting match:
"he's setting him up for his scorpion like maneuvers." ....

w...t...f???

i can sum up the absolute atrocity that is Don West's commentary with one line from a PPV about a year ago, involving a Sting match:
"he's setting him up for his scorpion like maneuvers." ....

w...t...f???

Was that Face West or Heel West? West brought a lot more entertainment to the broadcast booth as a Heel character than an over-the-top Face Announcer. He was at his best ever since he turned.

I was never a DW fan, I hope Taz will do better now that he's in his heel persona. I'm glad TNA kept west in the company though, it show's a bit of loyalty in a business where there is none. Now only if we could get Dixie to replace tenay with... Mike Adamle?

Face and perhaps he was at his best ever since he turned, but that's like saying that adding ketchup to dung makes the dung taste better. He's been completely and totally stupid. His utter failure and towering dumb was clearly evident during the Suicide/Daniles storyline, when he said "who is that guy dressed up like Daniles"....

perhaps he was an over the top Face Announcer, but he was also an over the top heel announcer, and an incredibly terrible one at that. you want a good Heel commentator, look at Lawler back in the day. Sure, he supported the Heels, but he wasn't stupid about it, nor did he support them in the vastly over the top fashion that Don West did.

Was that Face West or Heel West? West brought a lot more entertainment to the broadcast booth as a Heel character than an over-the-top Face Announcer. He was at his best ever since he turned.

And his best ever unfortunately is still pretty shit. How is his current commentary any different from, say, Mark Madden in WCW?

Taz was only a shit commentator because he wasn't being used as a color commentator. He was an "analyst" like any other announcer in the WWE. The guy has tons of charisma and has a great way with words if you've ever seen his interviews or just watched the man's mic work in the original ECW (and even during his early run in the WWF).

I'd much rather have Taz, a legend in this business, over Don West any day of the week. If they allow Taz to play the heel color commentator, you'll all love every minute of it.

I think it's a good move...although like many, I will miss the heel Don West. He was actually very entertaining as he was so blatant with his preference for the MeM and the heels in TNA. The face DW was kind of vanilla and never really appealed to me.

I think that Taz can bring some actual wrestling knowledge to the booth, and hopefully he and Tenay can start out smoothly. Taz could be the resident expert on the action going on in the ring, while Tenay could of course put over all the storylines and all that crap.

I don't really understand why some people think Taz was a crappy commentator in the WWE...I think he and Michael Cole were an entertaining combo. Then he got stuck with Styles in ECW and was still doing decent. Of course, we all know he got stuck with the atrocious Adamle and I think he really started losing his passion for the business at that point.

I think Taz is rejuvenated and could bring a fresh outlook to the announce table. Overall, I think that DW was one of the things kinda holding TNA back in terms of mainstream appeal, as the average viewer could easily get turned off by his all-out awkwardness at the position.

Don West was fun, he was like a future Bobby the Brain Hennan. He played the role very well, now, what does TNA do... Bring some more WWE talent! This way of business worked 15 years ago when WCW paid off all of the WWE main events to wrestling for them. But right now, it's kind of a dumb way to build a company.

And his best ever unfortunately is still pretty shit. How is his current commentary any different from, say, Mark Madden in WCW?

Taz was only a shit commentator because he wasn't being used as a color commentator. He was an "analyst" like any other announcer in the WWE. The guy has tons of charisma and has a great way with words if you've ever seen his interviews or just watched the man's mic work in the original ECW (and even during his early run in the WWF).

I'd much rather have Taz, a legend in this business, over Don West any day of the week. If they allow Taz to play the heel color commentator, you'll all love every minute of it.

I am quite aware of the "Analysts" that WWE Color Commentators have turned into thanks to Vince, as I have preached about my distaste for it extensively. However, I followed Tazz well before Vince started this initiative with his Color Commentators and he was still bland and boring even as a Heel commentator.

Heel Don West was still world's better than anything Tazz ever contributed to his time behind the mic in WWE.

Face and perhaps he was at his best ever since he turned, but that's like saying that adding ketchup to dung makes the dung taste better. He's been completely and totally stupid. His utter failure and towering dumb was clearly evident during the Suicide/Daniles storyline, when he said "who is that guy dressed up like Daniles"....

perhaps he was an over the top Face Announcer, but he was also an over the top heel announcer, and an incredibly terrible one at that. you want a good Heel commentator, look at Lawler back in the day. Sure, he supported the Heels, but he wasn't stupid about it, nor did he support them in the vastly over the top fashion that Don West did.

Lawler was fine as a Heel Color Commentator. Probably only behind Bobby Heenan and Jesse Ventura with his work. I'm not sure what he has to do with TNA, though.

Vince does not believe in using Heel Color Commentators anymore, so that is kind of pointless to bring up. The fact is that West is the only Heel Color Commentator currently in the business, and he was good at what he did. Lawler was great, and I would take Heel Lawler or a Bobby Heenan or a Jesse Ventura any day over West, but West was decent in the Heel Color role, and unfortunately was the only one who was doing that. I absolutely DO NOT under any circumstance want to see Carter remove the Face/Heel broadcast concept that was initiated and turn it into the Play by Play and Analyst concept that WWE is currently doing.

I am quite aware of the "Analysts" that WWE Color Commentators have turned into thanks to Vince, as I have preached about my distaste for it extensively. However, I followed Tazz well before Vince started this initiative with his Color Commentators and he was still bland and boring.

Taz was bland and boring in ECW? How so? I'd love to hear how he was bland and boring, considering he was the hottest thing to ever happen to that promotion.

He didn't accomplish much in his WWE tenure, but to say he isn't a charismatic guy who doesn't have a way with words is ridiculous, especially if you've ever seen a shoot with the guy.

Heel Don West was still world's better than anything Tazz ever contributed to his time behind the mic in WWE.

Not really. Again, Don West 2009 was no different in any way from Mark Madden 2000. Mildly entertaining, but not much more than that.

Taz was bland and boring in ECW? How so? I'd love to hear how he was bland and boring, considering he was the hottest thing to ever happen to that promotion.

Taz was "the hottest thing ever to happen to ECW"? Guys like Sandman, RVD, and Shane Douglas would probably disagree.

Regardless, we aren't talking about his time in the original ECW. We are talking about his time in WWE.

He didn't accomplish much in his WWE tenure, but to say he isn't a charismatic guy who doesn't have a way with words is ridiculous, especially if you've ever seen a shoot with the guy.

I could care less about his shoot interviews. It is what I see on TV and where it counts, which I care about. He didn't impress me as an Analyst, and he didn't impress me when he was a Heel Color Commentator, either.

I actually hated West when he was a Face. However, I will take Heel Don West over Heel Tazz or Analyst Tazz any day behind the mic.

Not really. Again, Don West 2009 was no different in any way from Mark Madden 2000. Mildly entertaining, but not much more than that.

Actually ... yeah, really. Tazz was not remotely entertaining at any point in his WWE broadcasting career. At least West was entertaining in this role.

And as far as Mark Madden goes, I will also take him over Tazz any day, behind the mic.

Taz was "the hottest thing ever to happen to ECW"? Guys like Sandman, RVD, and Shane Douglas would probably disagree.

Nothing in ECW history compared to the buzz around Taz at the time. He was seen as super-human. The only one who initiated a comparable buzz would be RVD. Taz's ECW run was absolutely fantastic from start to finish.

Regardless, we aren't talking about his time in the original ECW. We are talking about his time in WWE.

I wasn't. I was talking about Taz on the mic. Which would encompass his ECW work, wouldn't it?

I could care less about his shoot interviews. It is what I see on TV and where it counts, which I care about. He didn't impress me as an Analyst, and he didn't impress me when he was a Heel Color Commentator, either.

That's nice. Luckily I don't really care what your personal opinion of Taz is.

I actually hated West when he was a Face. However, I will take Heel Don West over Heel Tazz or Analyst Tazz any day behind the mic.

Groovy. I wouldn't.

Actually ... yeah, really. Tazz was not remotely entertaining at any point in his WWE broadcasting career. At least West was entertaining in this role.

Matter of opinion, I thought Taz was very entertaining his first few years.

And as far as Mark Madden goes, I will also take him over Tazz any day, behind the mic.

Now I really don't care what you think.

Nothing in ECW history compared to the buzz around Taz at the time. He was seen as super-human. The only one who initiated a comparable buzz would be RVD. Taz's ECW run was absolutely fantastic from start to finish.

And Taz was over for his wrestling in ECW and what he physically did in the ring. That was what got him over in ECW, more so than his mic skills. However, his mic skills are all he has left nowadays, and that isn't saying much.

I wasn't. I was talking about Taz on the mic. Which would encompass his ECW work, wouldn't it?

I was talking about Taz's broadcasting career. Pretty much what he is doing right now in TNA. I am not talking about promo-cutting or anything like that, since he won't be doing any of that in TNA in this particular role.

That's nice. Luckily I don't really care what your personal opinion of Taz is.

LOL. Then don't respond to my posts, if you don't care. You respond, then I am going to state my opinion. I don't care if you agree with it or not, but I am going to voice it, regardless. I don't post to necessarily please you.

Matter of opinion, I thought Taz was very entertaining his first few years.

Good for you. I didn't. Guess we have a standoff and aren't changing each other's minds. Stalemate, then.

Now I really don't care what you think.

Well, now you can show that you mean that by not responding any further ... especially since it appears that nobody's mind is being changed anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back