Tag Teams

jkenyon81

Dark Match Winner
i was thinking about tag teams for a bit and was wonding if you guys think a small 4 team elimination over the next couple weeks to "earn" a spot to fight air boom at Survivor series would work.

the reason i put earn in parenthasis is because the 4 teams should seem excited about the opportunity like air boom was. if a couple teams could seem excited it could help

yeah, 4 teams are hard to put together these days, but let me try... the usos of course, cuz they are the only actual team there. and we gotta come up with 3 others.. like....

here's my favorite i thought of and i really like it. Justin Gabriel and Ted Debiase Jr. both have tag backgrounds, one's the agility and one's strength, their looks don't clash. and a cool name that would pop, "Flippin Rich" . you either just thought that was cool or you laughed but you would watch, don't lie to yourselves.

since throwback is the new in, how about Big Zeke Jackson and Brodus clay as a new Towers of Pain. good way to bring in Clay.

and an angry at his name Mcguillicutty and angry at everyone for whatever reason Tyler Reks as a couple angry dudes... name in progress, but a lot of yelling.

they all can give the this is our chance look and put over the division. seems silly and they seem like throwaway "stars" but even if the teams flop after a couple months it could still strengthen the division.

even tease a Rider/hawkins reunion till hawkins turns on rider before he gets future endeavored.

I support anything that would strengthen the seemingly non-existent tag-team division, but I don't think WWE could throw this together that quickly, not by Survivor Series anyways. For the time being, WWE is going to have to go with "put-together" tag teams for awhile. I agree, they're gonna have to add a couple of more tag teams soon because the Usos, Air Boom, and Team Swiggler (as I dub them) aren't enough. They need to aggressively scout and recruit teams that have worked or would be willing to work as a tag team exclusively for at least a year. This would open up opportunities for guys at the bottom and middle of the card who would otherwise be passed over in singles competition. Again, you have a good idea, and the duos you mentioned would compliment each other well, but that's a tall order for WWE. They can't even figure out what to do with the Sin Cara storyline, so I think re-working an entire division would be a sisyphean ordeal for them.

I wish something would happen for this division. And, maybe it will.

On WWE NXT (yes, that show) There has been alot of tag teaming going on. Usos have been there. Hawkins and Reks (yes, they are a team) have been on there. And people like JTG, Matt Striker, Tatsu, Kidd, and some of the rookies have been teaming up.

So, this is a good idea, and the foundation is being laid in the WWE.

They def could do this; there are teams in WWE, they just don't get any time on SD! and/or Raw.

the Usos (obviously)
Johnny Curtis and Trent Barretta (they teamed on Superstars a few weeks back)
Tyler Reks and Curt Hawkins (have supposedly formed a tag team somewhere)
Dolph Ziggler and Jack Swagger (should be known as Vickie's Angels)
Zach Ryder and one of these: Mason Ryan, Santino, Justin Gabriel, or Alex Riley
the Kings of Wrestling (as soon as Hero signs)
(If they can get Vladimir back) Alex and Vladimir Koslov
I heard the Headbangers are issuing challenges to Air Boom, Mexican America, and WGTT

I would like to see a new “Odd-Couple” Tag Team. One that I can think of would be:

Unsanctioned

wwe-raw-ted-dibiase-4.jpg
Zack-Ryder-Internet-Champion-Belt-and-His-pictures-1.jpg

"WOO!! WOO!! WOO!! We’re Priceless and you know it!!"

The Million Dollar Champion, Ted DiBiase Jr. and the Internet Champion, Zack Ryder

They are both former WWE World Tag Team Champions. They both have Championship Belts “not officially recognized” by the WWE. Just imagine the promos and conversations between these two.

loving the idea of this big re-emergence of the tag team division...maybe bring the colons in (even with one of them being in FCW) to help bring in the 'natural' tag teams (i.e family relations, ect...).

I would be all for something like this happening. Like Jabroney730 said, anything that strengthens, develops a tag team scene in the WWE can only be a positive. Holding a King Of The Ring style tournament on Raw and Smackdown for tag teams which puts the winners in line for a Tag Team Title shot would interest me a lot. Bringing a team or two up from FCW and having one of them beat Swagger and Ziggler in the tournament could be a good idea to get them over. Headbangers want to come back, X-Pac and Road Dogg both work for WWE right now, Usos are a legit WWE Tag Team. Putting a few unconventional teams together like King Patrick said would also be good. How about Ted DiBiase Jr and Ritchie Steamboat?! Have Ricardo Rodriguez intoduce two members of The Ascension into the tournament. Really I just would love for Tag Teams to formed and result in a watchable Tag Team division in the WWE. I know it is in the works and can't happen overnight so doing little four team eliminations and KOTR style tournaments to establish teams can only be good.

I also agree with Jabroney739 I just think it will take a while for the fans to get invested in new tag teams. First I think the WWE will have to figure out which superstars are somewhat compatible and can feed off each others energy instead of just throwing random tag teams together.

They should also bring in brand new teams with great gimmicks to compete with already established teams to refresh the divsion instead of building every team with established singles wrestlers. Back during the attitude era there were plenty of tag teams that actually stayed together most of their career but now tag teams are breaking up after shorter periods of time to compete in the singles division, I think that's one of the biggest problems now.

how bout this for match, have a 4 team elimination match to decide your number one contender. that way its still a traditional ss match and brings something to the tag division. have airboom on commentary and have a couple teams mess with them to create heat and make people think a few people are gunning for them at the same time. ill throw some teams together for the thread sake and ill try to be different from the others jus to keep people relevant......
obviously the usos
debiase and mcgillicuty
a-ry and matt striker
william regal and wade barrett
now i do see the flaws with these teams, but all of them have somekinda connection or common traits. then maybe after the match have airboom congratulate the winning team and wth, for shits and giggles, have the headbangers come down to destroy both airboom and and the winning team.

I support anything that would strengthen the seemingly non-existent tag-team division, but I don't think WWE could throw this together that quickly, not by Survivor Series anyways. For the time being, WWE is going to have to go with "put-together" tag teams for awhile. I agree, they're gonna have to add a couple of more tag teams soon because the Usos, Air Boom, and Team Swiggler (as I dub them) aren't enough. They need to aggressively scout and recruit teams that have worked or would be willing to work as a tag team exclusively for at least a year. This would open up opportunities for guys at the bottom and middle of the card who would otherwise be passed over in singles competition. Again, you have a good idea, and the duos you mentioned would compliment each other well, but that's a tall order for WWE. They can't even figure out what to do with the Sin Cara storyline, so I think re-working an entire division would be a sisyphean ordeal for them.

Indeed. Furthering the Tag Division is key now. With Air Boom as champions, sure they arent THAT entertaining. However they are doing better then anyone else. There isnt really any other tag teams in WWE. You got the Usos but thats like it. Awesome Truth eh its just a way to keep them relevant.

If they had a 2 vs 2 vs 2 vs 2 match to face Air Boom, I hope these 4 teams would be in:

The Uso's
Awesome Truth
David Otunga + Justin Gabriel
Primo + Tito Colon

The top two are obvious, they are already established. For Otunga & Gabriel, I always thought they would be good together. The pounder and high flyer. If pushed well, they could keep you off your toes. For the Colon's, you could bring up both Primo and Tito, and they would be a very good tag team.

I'm pretty much going to restate what I said in another thread.

You can't just have a bunch of teams fighting for a belt. Then people just think "these are 4 guys fighting for a championship".

However, if you have Air Boom beat relevant singles stars in team matches (Awesome Truth, Zwaggler, etc) then you put a gauge on Air Boom. They know how good they are. Once people accept Air Boom as being really really good, then any feud they're in is elevated.

Think about ADR vs Punk. Would that match be as relevant if neither had their feuds with Cena? I'm sure some of you are dumb enough to think "YES PUNK IZ TEH GOD" but that's not true. Punk was doing awesome stuff, but because of Cena, it elevated everything Punk did even more. Same thing with ADR. So now you have ADR vs Punk and people see both guys as big BIG deals.

It's no different with the tag titles.

I am loving the tag team division and it is on the rise ...

The Usos - Obvious front runners for the Tag Tittles in my opinion.
Hawkins & Reks - Saw some of them on NXT and they have some chemistry and could be a good heel team.
Awesome Truth - Enough said
Dolph & Swagger - Heard the name "All American Perfection" and it would be perfect, I love the possibilities of this team with or without Vickie.
Zack Ryder & Mason Ryan - Keeps Ryder on TV and gives Ryan more time to perfect his craft.
Air Boom - Once Bourne is back they will continue to be an explosive team.

One more thing, am I the only one who thinks the Sin Cara feud should end with them earning each others respect and forming a tag team?

One more thing, am I the only one who thinks the Sin Cara feud should end with them earning each others respect and forming a tag team?
It was my very first guess as soon as the feud of Sin Caras begun.
It would be interesting if they managed to make a tag team with one remaining face and the other remaining heel, by the way. I don't remember ever seeing a non-forced lasting Face+Heel tag team on WWE (though this team gimmick would probably be best reserved to teams that can talk, Sin Cara unfortunately don't speak English well enough yet apparently).

I read this on another site, and I think she has some really great ideas for Tag Teams in the WWE today.

Maria Astig said:
With the current roster right now and possible comebacks, here are my dream tag teams.

Orton-McIntyre: I personally think that their gimmicks are somewhat the same. Both are sinister. Both looks like they don't have any emotions. Their walk on the ramp are the same and also their entrance musics have the same feel. I think this team has a chance to be dominant and be fearless. Orton can certainly help Drew go over. This should also be a heel team.

Cena-Swagger: These is another example of a team where one wrestler is helping another one go over. This one should be a face team even though people are booing Cena. Cena's marine and Jack's all american gimmick compliments each other. Acting as patriots or country's hero.

Orton-Cena: Just an alternative from the two above. Another "Megapower"

Rhodes-Ziggler: The top heels of this era. Two of the best right now and the future of the business. Ala Rated-RKO. Only difference is that Rated-RKO was composed of two established main eventers.

Mysterio-Sin Cara: I don't have to explain much here. I bet a lot of people wants these two to battle. I want it too but they could form a team first to build the match. Mysterio can certainly teach Cara a lot by teaming and battling with him.

Punk-Bryan: Kings of the Indy Scene (in their own rights). They both are very accomplished in different indy promotions. I think these two can show people and other superstar how to "wrestle".

OR

Punk-Jericho: The best in the world. Nuff said.

Del Rio-DiBiase: Same gimmick (if DiBiase continues to adopt his father's gimmick). They could be a Rich Mexican American team. Both are great in the ring. Del Rio is starting to stand out. DiBiase is just underutilized.

Golddust-Truth: A newer version of the Golddust-Booker team. Only this time both of them are weird (crazy for R Truth). I think they could create funny segments in the back again. Something that is missing in the WWE right now.

Gabriel-Bourne: Both of these high fliers can be over with the crowd. A spin-off to the team of London and Kidman. Seeing the 450 splash and shooting star press done at the same time is really cool.

Kingston-Reks: An example of a powerhouse and a high flyer. Kingston is the "The Dreadlocked Dynamo" and Reks was once called "The Dreadlocked Demolition Man". They may look the same but the character may be somewhat opposite with Kingston being the always alive, always moving, always jumping type while Reks is the no-wasted, straight to the point move type.

Sheamus-Finlay: Both are Irish and both have movesets that really looks brutal. Guess both of them loves to fight too. A sort of a teacher student type.

Barrett-Regal: The brawler and the technician with the same descend. Regal and Finlay could also work as managers but both Sheamus and Barrett in my opinion doesn't need one. Besides both Regal and Finlay still has more left in their tanks. Seeing Sheamus-Finlay and Barrett-Regal battle would definitely be great.

Henry-Clay: The super heavy weights. This one could also work. Henry could teach Brodus a thing or two. They could dominate the division with their size alone. Only wish they would not be use for comedy.

Ryder-Marella: Just because they're super over.

I think the Tag Team division of the WWE could benefit from her ideas. With this many teams consisting of big names, the Tag Team division could Main Event PPVs, not WM, of course, but all the other 11 or 12 or 13 or 14 (how many WWE PPVs a year are there nowadays??) throughout the year.

(And she mentions Cena and Orton, you know how I feel about the Mega Powers and the Two Man Power Trip and Rated RKO, etc.)

i agree with most of these however i think the cena-orton team is a little excessive and people would not be interested as it would be assumed that they would win every match possible because they are the top faces of raw and smackdown. IMO that one would not work but im happy with the others. apart from mentioning goldust and finlay. not happenning.

Now hold on one second. I get the Cena / Orton Hate, believe me, I do, but did people think it was too much when Bob Backlund and Pedro Morales teamed up?? Was it too much when Shawn Michaels and Diesel teamed up?? Was it too much when Stone Cold Steve Austin and Triple H teamed up?? What about Kurt Angle and Sting in TNA?? There are a few more examples that escape my mind. The very important thing to keep in mind here is that if Cena and Orton are in the Tag Team division…see where I’m going here??

Yeah, you're right. It is too much. HAHA!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back