• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Swollen Members-sold out or mastered a new type of music?

NoBloodEra

Lets Go FLYERS!!!
So quite recently I have been listening to a lot of Swollen Members, with both new and old songs.

Some background on them: a underground rap group from Canada that were quite big in the 90s and have recently made a big push in the last couple of years to appeal to the hip-hop/rap crowd in modern time.

While looking at their new songs on YouTube I have been seeing a lot of hate comment on how they sold out to sound more mainstream. To me, I see it being them trying to generate a greater audience by mastering a new craft.

It is really hard going from a underground standpoint to a more mainstream and appealing kind of rap. I have been big fans of them since I first heard them back in the late 90s, but I feel as they are loosing their main fanbase from the good old days.

A couple months ago they came to my city for a show so I gladly showed up. After seeing and talking to Madchild (one of the two members on Swollen Members) I asked him about this kind of "new" music they are using. He assured me that they are trying to keep all of the old-school elements to their songs while incorporating a new kind of beat and flow to these songs.

My question to you is did they sell out or did they master a new way to connect to audiences all over the world?

They're just mastering new ways to get their music heard around the world,and MadChilds Ep/Lp's or whatever they are called are amazing lol.

It depends on how you look at it man. I heard some of their old stuff, and its cool. I can't judge the new music cause I haven't been keeping up with the underground stuff on the West Coast for a while. But I know a lot of fans felt the same way with Aceyalone when he started to become more mainstream. Believe me, anything he did with Projected Blowedians and pre-2004 was mostly underground classics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back