Sweet Sixteen Regional Rounds

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
As soon as a few of the closer 80's matchups are finalized and the results in, we will officially have 16 bands remaining in each decade region. While it seems like we have not come far to SILL have 64 total bands in this thing, rememberwe started with more than 300, and that was AFTER the nomination process.

The Regional Sweet Sixteens will start on Monday, June 30th with the 90's / 00's Region. The match-ups are as follows:

#1 Nirvana vs #17 Foo Fighters
#8 Stone Temple Pilots vs #9 Live and #41 Muse
#4 Green Day vs #13 Rage Against the Machine
#5 The Offspring vs #12 Smashing Pumpkins
#2 Pearl Jam vs #18 Oasis
#7 Red Hot Chili Peppers vs #10 Soundgarden
#3 Alice in Chains vs #19 Sublime
#38 Weezer vs #54 Dream Theatre

As you can see, 7 of the top 8 seeds advanced. MAJOR kudos go to Dream Theatre, making the top 16 after being seeded #54, and Weezer for acheiving this from the #38 seed. Bush was the big upset victim, bowing out despite a strong #6 seed.

We will then move on to the 80's Region, where the sweet sixteen matches are as follows:

#1 Metallica vs #16 Michael Jackson
#8 R.E.M. vs #24 Depeche Mode
#4 U2 vs #13 Def Leppard
#37 Bruce Springsteen vs #12 Queensryche
#2 Guns N Roses vs EITHER #15 Van Hagar OR #18 Megadeth
#7 Ozzy Osbourne vs EITHER #10 Stevie Ray Vaughn OR #23 The Cure
#3 Bon Jovi vs #19 Iron Maiden
#6 Sting vs #54 The Beastie Boys

It seems like the 54th seed is the WZ equivalent of being a #12 seed in the NCAA Basketball Tourney. Two of the three major seeding upsets have been a #54 seed (the other being Springsteen, whom I mis-seeded) and both have a fighting chance in the sweet 16 as well.

Following the 80's region we logically progress retroactively to the 70's where the matches are:

#1 Pink Floyd vs #16 Kiss
#8 Meatloaf vs #9 Judas Priest
#4 Van Halen vs #13 Rush
#37 The Ramones vs #12 Lynard Skynard
#2 Queen vs #15 Elton John
#7 Black Sabbath vs #23 Eric Clapton
#3 Aerosmith vs #19 The Eagles
#6 Journey vs #11 AC/DC

The 5th seeded Jethro Tull was the only top 8 seed knocked out, and as we saw from the 80's region and the loss of Motley Crue, the 5 seed is not a favorable place to be.

Finally, we go totally old school to the 50's and 60's, where the matches are:

#1 The Beatles vs #16 The Moody Blues
#25 Van Morrison vs #9 Creedence Clearwater Revival
#4 The Doors vs #13 The Monkees
#5 The Who vs #12 James Brown
#2 The Rolling Stones vs #18 Joe Cocker
#7 Jimi Hendrix vs #10 Cream
#3 Led Zeppelin vs #14 Bob Dylan
#6 Elvis Presley vs #22 Jefferson Airplane

The 8th seeded Beach Boys were the only top-8 eliminated by the surprising Van Morrison. There is so much history here, it's insane.

I hope everyone is enjoying the tournament so far. Sweet sixteen will take a few days, and soon we will be ready to crown regional champions and throw the gloves down to determine who's the greatest band of all time...in WZ's eyes.

It kind of feels like there are too many of the same style bands. Obviously being a tourney, whoever is liked the most advances, and that is what is happening... Just, in my own little opinion, feels like too much of the soundgarden, stp, pearl jam, nirvana, alice in chains, type of bands and there is a whole gap of bands not even left from these eras that seem much better... I guess what it boils down to is that a lot of the people on these forums like the same bands? Anyways, should be interesting to see the rest of this play itself out.

Not a bad breakdown. I would say that the top seeds are pretty safe. My opinion is, the number one seeds are all safe, but at least one of them, should be eliminated in this next round.

Based on overall popularity and album sales, Michael Jackson SHOULD, and I emphasize SHOULD, because he won't, beat Metallica. I understand that this is a wrestling forum, and Heavy Metal and Wrestling seem to go hand and hand. Michael Jackson owns Metallica in about every category humanly possible when it comes to influence and music.

Damn, the Peppers vs Soundgarden is gonna be a tough one for me as well. I've become a big fan of Chris Cornell over the past few months, but I've loved the Peppers for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back