Surprise of the Year

What Was the Surprise of the Year in 2017?

• Hardys Return at Wrestlemania XXXIII

• Jinder Mahal Wins the WWE Title

• Adam Cole Debuts and Attacks Drew McIntyre

• Kurt Angle Returns to a WWE Ring

• Sami Zayn Saves Kevin Owens

• Kevin Owens Turns on Chris Jericho

• Tommaso Ciampa Turns on Johnny Gargano

• Chris Jericho in New Japan

• Baron Corbin's Failed Money in the Bank Cash-In

• Andrade Cien Almas Wins NXT Title

Results are only viewable after voting.
Jinder Mahal. Going from being an established prelim guy for years, to a multi-month reigning world champion main eventing PPV's in what felt like a the blink of an eye, proved to be a huge adjustment for fans. Seeing Kurt back in a WWE ring every week in over a decade is a close second.

How have I been the only one to vote for Almas winning the NXT Title? I didn't see that coming, and judging by the reaction of the fans, didn't did they. Almas was starting to look like a flop until they added Zelina Vega. She really added a new element to the character and propelled him forward, but I was still shocked they pulled the trigger on him so soon after the change.

It's a toss up between Jericho arriving in New Japan and Almas winning the NXT Championship, those are the only two things that legitimately shocked me this year. Everything else falls under wasn't surprised/saw the possibility of it happening beforehand.

I guess for that reason I'll go with Jericho in New Japan. Almas was in a match for the NXT title so of course the chance he could win it was there. Jericho was completely left field.

The Hardy Boyz for me. There was lots of speculation on whether the Hardys would be able to make it in time for Mania. Then when we found out they were going up against the Young Bucks the night before. Sure they lost but I think everyone expected them to come out on the Raw after Mania. Then when the New Day came out to announce a fourth team you could only dream. The dream came true though and that was that. Maybe in hindsight it wasn’t such a surprise. I remember asking why they made the triple threat match a ladder match at Mania and I’m guessing this was the reason why.

It's a toss up between Jericho arriving in New Japan and Almas winning the NXT Championship, those are the only two things that legitimately shocked me this year. Everything else falls under wasn't surprised/saw the possibility of it happening beforehand.

I guess for that reason I'll go with Jericho in New Japan. Almas was in a match for the NXT title so of course the chance he could win it was there. Jericho was completely left field.

You were not surprised and predicted Jinder Mahal's WWE Championship title reign? If that happened in the videogame I would be shocked, let alone in real life. Nobody saw that coming. Nobody.

You were not surprised and predicted Jinder Mahal's WWE Championship title reign? If that happened in the videogame I would be shocked, let alone in real life. Nobody saw that coming. Nobody.

I thought it'd happen when he got announced as the No.1 contender, to be honest. A friend of mine and me had a weird lengthy discussion about him getting a push right before Wrestlemania and after his performance at both Mania and the Smackdown afterwards. Guess it wasn't as weird to me because I never watched his prior WWE work really so I just saw his slow general progression over the last year or so. I imagine it's kind of like if I saw Apollo Crews pop up in a fatal four way to outlast Reigns, Joe, and Braun to become the No.1 contender. Then somehow taking the Universal Title off Lesnar or HHH.

Tangent city.

@Yaz

I do think this may be the biggest legitimate surprise because Jericho and Omega were teased at least a few weeks prior to the angle let alone the announcement. I think we had a bit of warning with Mahal between rumours and everything. It just doesn't have as big of an impact as either Mahal or Jericho v. Omega. I think all three can be made arguments for, but I just can't bring myself to dub that "Suprise of the year".

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back