Superstars that whose push was detailed by backstage politics

kirkt690

imapaulheymankindaguy22
Getting along with the well established people at any job or career is alwas critical to your success. Same goes for wwe you don't agitate the legends or the main even caliber stars.
The main two superstars who come to mind, whose careers came to a screeching halt because of these backstage politics are both Alex Riley and john morrison. Riley because of the cena incident and morrison for giving Trish the cold shoulder.
If you can name anymore list them below, and what do you think could've came from those superstars if they hadn't screwed up backstage?

Many remember Jeff Jarrett's last run in WWE, which resulted in him dropping the Intercontinental title to Chyna. He was leaving for WCW with Vince Russo - his contract had expired at the time of the match against Chyna and many believed he extorted $300,000 from Vince McMahon to compete. Vince clearly remembering that...so fast forward to WWE acquiring WCW. Jeff Jarrett's contract was not picked up by WWE, not only was it not picked up but Vince literally fired Jeff Jarrett on live television. Jarrett had a successful run in WWE and WCW .

It can work the other way as well, if you get in with the right crowd behind the scenes and show what you're all about, it can work in your favour.

Show you're willing to listen and take advice from the legends etc, show respect it can bump you up the ladder a bit quicker.

Dolph Ziggler comes to mind recently about speaking out. Did Marc Mero not do something backstage to annoy people? Thinking he was bigger than he was?

Backstage politics can play a role in your push. It's like that with any wrestling company. In Alex Riley's case, not only was there the incident with Cena but there was also the fact that he was arrested for DUI after not being in the company for a while. As with any company or business, a wrestler can receive a degree of latitude and flexibility if he/she has been proven to be a good overall worker, works hard, is respectful and has paid his/her dues. If you're someone who hasn't really proven yourself and you screw up, then it can cost you.

In the case of John Morrison, I don't know the whole story there. I can understand he and Melina being upset that Trish Stratus was brought in and given Melina's spot for a WM match a few years back. If the various reports are true, then there may have been a better way of voicing that anger & disappointment. Trish Stratus was well liked by the locker room, by the fans and she's easily been one of the handful of relevant Divas that people've actually cared about.

No matter the job, you sometimes have to pick how you decide to voice your displeasure in order to avoid negative consequences. If you're up for a promotion at your job, but the job goes to someone else that you feel isn't as qualified and hasn't put in the time & effort you have, then acting like a prick isn't gonna do anything to help your case. If the reports are true, then that's essentially how Morrison acted towards Trish. If anything, it'd most likely make things that much harder on you. Going about it in a different way, actually being able to back up your position with some facts and some professionalism, can work wonders. Who knows? In JoMo's case, maybe they would've found a way to make Melina part of the match. Maybe made it an 8 person mixed tag team match rather than a 6 person mixed tag team match. Melina would've been part of the show, she'd have gotten part of the WrestleMania payday, Trish Stratus & Snookie disappear back into the wild blue yonder and that's the end of it.

The number 1 answer in my mind is Mr. Kennedy. I'm still spiteful about this and its one of the main reason i hate Orton because he got Kennedy fired. I'm of the belief that if he would have been allowed to continue on his path, he'd still be a top guy to this day. There was also stuff involved with Cena and what seems to me the more competitive "I have to keep my spot" attitude of RAW compared to the "lets do whatever we can to put on a great show" attitude of smackdown. That's just my speculation but it's a travesty that Kennedy was fired and is being mishandled in TNA.

I'll stick with more recent

Ryback's major push and main event status was halted and botched due to backstage politics. To be fair, I guess Ryback wasn't the most approachable guy when it came to doing fan events. However, he quickly went from a new main-eventer to replace the likes of an Orton or Cena to a huge, jacked midcarder.. and having a guy not succeed, losing to smaller wrestlers isn't much believable.

Damien Sandow's MITB Push was clearly botched by WWE Creative. Why they would go ahead with such a big accolade and then switch directions suggests something going on backstage.

Daniel Bryan clearly had backstage politics against him from HHH himself. Trips was just smart enough or even forced to put it in the story line. Make no mistake about it though, HHH isn't keen on a small, indy guy being in the main event. Him, Nash, Hall, etc. are all very vocal about wrestling being a big man's business.

Morrison was a prick to a diva who was liked by the fans and locker room. He also let Batista take away his girl and didn't do shit.

Riley is all hype. The only reason people fight for his cause is because it supposedly has to do with John Cena.

Kennedy was prone to injure himself and others. Overrated in the WWE and the only reason people creamed for him is because Austin liked him. I will always pick Orton over Kennedy.

Most wrestlers who use backstage politics as their excuse for not making it are just masking their deficiencies. Cream always rises to the top. You want to talk about people who were legit held back because of backstage politics, look over at WCW. Jericho, Mysterio, Raven, Benoit, Eddie, etc.. Those backstage politics didn't keep them down for long.

Mr Kennedy was a famous example. He was wrestling Randy Orton and nearly ended his career. Obviously Orton was pissed, supposedly got Cena and HHH (who didn't like him) on board, and that was that. He was released as soon as possible.

To be honest, he was pretty average and if he was unsafe then he had no place in the WWE. His release was understandable but if he had fucked up in a match against anyone other than Orton he wouldn't have been fired that week.

Alex Riley pissed off Cena and he seemingly disappeared. He seemed talented enough and was in a good spot but he turned into a jobber before his lucrative role as pre-show panellist.

I remember clearly Ken Kennedy's push being stopped by Orton

Can someone explain the Alex Riley/John Cena "incident"?

And didn't CM Punk get squashed by the Undertaker for the title because Taker told him to dress like a champion?

Most definitely it can cost you dearly if you voice your displeasure.. Like JH said,if your already a proven worker,get along with the higher ups,and are respected then a certain latitude is afforded to you... But even that,you have to be careful about how you voice stuff,if you do disagree with it..

If your a rookie someone who has not proven themselves and you mouth off,your pretty much doomed.. Especially in John Morrisons case,he already wasn't that well received and him mouthing off about Trish,a legend mind you and universes better than Melina,that pretty much killed his career right then and there.. Plus Batista took his girl away from him,and John didnt even confront him.. That would lose a ton of respect amongst the boys in the locker room..

You gotta pick your battles and sometimes its better to keep your mouth shut.. Of course it helps,if the higher ups like you.. Riley though,was massively over hyped and pissed off Cena the face of the WWE. Riley thought IMO he earned his stripes and could really do no wrong..

It can work the other way as well, if you get in with the right crowd behind the scenes and show what you're all about, it can work in your favour.

Show you're willing to listen and take advice from the legends etc, show respect it can bump you up the ladder a bit quicker.

Dolph Ziggler comes to mind recently about speaking out. Did Marc Mero not do something backstage to annoy people? Thinking he was bigger than he was?

Mero didn't want to "Share" Sable with the boss lol

Ziggler is the most recent guy, but his was a catalouge of things... any one would have been enough but together they = the shithouse and I would not be shocked if he's released today.

The biggest one was the movie he signed up for, it got announced in a very odd way - with the director tweeting a picture of the cast including him. This smelled of Ziggler going "outside usual channels" and signing up before either clearing it or doing it regardless cos "he contractually could". WWE likes their guys to debut in their movies these days, if it's outside that, Vince likes to be involved or an exec producer credit in some cases. Dolph seemingly circumvented this and set up a big issue. Add to that his brother's problems on release, speaking out about St. John of Cena and overall just not playing the game WWE likes or is used to.

Some lke Morrison did have legit issues that were used against them... Was JoMo right to be pissed Melina got bumped... yes, was he right to take it out on Trish... perhaps not so, but at least he stood up for his beliefs... he wasn't obligated to be anything other than professional to Trish. He was, but the "tradition" says otherwise.

These situations wouldn't and couldn't exist in other companies, in the real world. If there was even a hint of it, there would be lawsuits and tribunals. But WWE's big problem right now, the one the SEC is looking at is they are purporting to be a traded company but still operating like a closed fraternity, hiding behind the talent's "contractor" status when in reality they should be SAG registered. Miz and his locker room ban for chicken infringement would be considered bullying in any company in the world except WWE... not part of "paying dues"... There is no "McDonalds Colchester Court" to deal with transgressions, but a clear procedure, set in stone... in WWE sometimes the guy with something to gain or lose is deciding punishment on their peers... never a good sign to the world of business which wants "whiter than white transparency" in today's world.

In 2014 politics SHOULDN'T be the factor it is, but it will always be until Vince and co are either made to stop it or someone buys them out.

Was never a great wrestler, but NXT's Michael Tarver was very well spoken on the microphone before he got into it with Cena. I don't think he would've had much of a big wrestling career, but he seemed like he could do a lot of backstage stuff, like Otunga or Maddox.

I think I heard that Michaels talked his way out of losing the IC title to Tatanka. Tatanka had a close to 2 year undefeated streak if I'm not mistaken. He might have had a good run as IC champ.

Supposedly, Hogan was supposed to drop the title to Hart in '93 but didn't want to. I think it was supposed to be Hogan vs Hart at SS. That would have been a huge notch in Hart's legacy.

Of course backstage politics will play a role. Sure this is a business, but you can't be a dick with your coworkers. And you can't be dangerous or whatever during matches and not expect retaliation.

Forget for a moment this is the WWE, no company in the world would look past excessive reckless, asshole, self centered behavior even if you are better then average worker.

Movies and TV is the same way. They won't stand by those who make work unbearable just because they are part of the production, they will either reduce their role or cut them. WWE is no different.

We only know a fraction of the number of wrestlers who have been held back by backstage politics. In this business, the main-event guys have always been very protective of their spot on the card and most will do anything to keep it. There are only a few who are willing to put over new talent, most of the top stars are reluctant to do so. All it takes is for a big star to have a quiet word in the ear of management, and someone's push can be scrapped.

Hogan/Nash/The Kliq are well known for doing this back in the day. I've heard rumours that HBK was trying to get The Rock held back ad campaigning for HHH to get Rocky's spot when both were progressing up the card in the mid-to-late 90s.

Apparently Mike Awesome was dumped on Heat and then released after Undertaker decided he didn't know how to work, which was a big shame as Awesome had the size, look and power to be a top star in WWE and it pisses me off to this day that he never really got a shot at it.

Mr Kennedy is another well known example of someone being screwed over by backstage politics but other posters have already covered this several times in this thread.

I can think of a positive outcome to a push being derailed.
HHH was apparently the one pencilled in to win the 96 king of the ring but was punished after the incident with Hall and Nash when they were leaving WWF.
Austin won it and the rest as they say is history

Daniel Bryan clearly had backstage politics against him from HHH himself. Trips was just smart enough or even forced to put it in the story line. Make no mistake about it though, HHH isn't keen on a small, indy guy being in the main event. Him, Nash, Hall, etc. are all very vocal about wrestling being a big man's business.

Not only HHH, but Vince as well. Both have been pretty upfront about not thinking much of smaller guys. This makes what Bryan Danielson has been able to accomplish that much more significant. And he knows the fans are the reason for it. Without the consistent cheers since he lost in 18 seconds a couple of years ago he wouldn't be in the position he is today. Frankly I think it was nothing short of a miracle for HHH to suggest DB win that money-in-the-bank briefcase. Had that not happened, I honestly doubt he'd be where he is today. Winning that briefcase allowed him to be the World Champ and then lose to Sheamus, which of course set off the firestorm of support for him that never really died down. It's an amazing story when you think about it. But if upper management and backstage politics played out like they normally do, we wouldn't be talking about him being in the title picture like we are today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back