• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Super 8

Just saw it. Not bad. I wouldn't call it a great film, but, I dug the story. I think my hopes were a bit high.

If The Goonies, The Monster Squad, Cloverfield and Close Encounters of the Third Kind (somehow) had a child, it would probably look something like this.

Has J.J. Abrams made a bad film? Great big-budget filmmaker. I see a good deal of Spielberg not only in this film, but in Abrams as well. Not sure he can put together the serious work Spielberg has (Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, Empire of the Sun, The Color Purple), but, I think he's the best "popcorn" director out there.

I'm actually really interested in seeing this, but my friends seem uninterested. It did have a pretty lousy trailer, but it did the job at peaking my curiosity.

The title mixed with the fact that the trailer(s) make it seem like a suspense/horror film, make me think M. Night Shyamalan is behind this. (Not that I dislike his work, but still)

It also makes me think of the hotel franchise.

All in all, I'll be checking this out but it may not be until it comes to blu-ray when I can watch it for free.

Well if Monster Squad has anything to do with it, im all up in that biatch

monster_squad.png

Super 8 has a fat kid, too.

I've heard the movie is more about the kids than the monster/supernatural thing, I'm defiantly curious, and have been since I saw Abrams named attached, I may just have to check this one out... assuming I'm not broke this weekend

And best popcorn director? Pfft that's easily Micheal Bay or Brett Ratner... Nah, I'm just kidding, no but seriously I'm kidding, no need for anyone to post some huge rant on why they're terrible, we all already know

Really been looking forward to this film since details first emerged on the news sites. Looks like an awesome, awesome time.

http://www.super8comiccontest.com/
This is the comic that basically explains what "it" is. It's part of the viral marketing campaign. I read this prior to watching the film, and while it exposed what "it" is, it wasn't shocking, and didn't hurt the experience at all.

[YOUTUBE]q4xJXkZz92g[/YOUTUBE]
This is another piece of the viral marketing campaign. It follows the events of the comics, with both pieces acting as prequels, really.

You don't need to check these out prior to seeing the film, but I'd definitely watch them after.

If you've picked up and DC title in the past couple weeks, that comic has been shoved in the middle, which is kinda annoying if for example you're reading Batman, turn the page, and all of a sudden find yourself in the Super 8 comic with little warning, they kinda trick you into reading it

Just got back, I got there about 30 mins. early and manged to miss the first 40 mins. of the movie, this is what happens when you're a dumbass, like myself, and aren't paying attention to which theater you are walking into. I liked what I saw of the movie, and from that alone I highly recommend seeing it. I plan on going back and seeing it again, this time from the actual beginning of the movie, so that I can get the whole experience, but yeah loved what I saw, as the fat kid in the movie would say, "it's Mint"

I can see how a film taking an original and creative approach in it's method of storytelling could be "irritating" to some.

I enjoyed Cloverfield. Could have been more frightening, and I could have done without the parasites. But, overall, it worked.

I enjoyed Super 8 much more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back