Confirmed: Khan for Star Trek II

The 1-2-3 Killam

Mid-Card Championship Winner
It appears as if the original villain of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan will be returning for JJ Abrams' sequel, with Sin City and The Usual Suspects' Benicio Del Toro being considered for the part! This is big news, like it or not, for all Star Trek fans.

The original Wrath of Khan is widely regarded as one of the most iconic Science Fiction films of all time. Two years ago Abrams did the unthinkable and rebooted the entire series using an alternate timeline loophole, putting out what many believe to be the second best Trek movie ever made. The fact that Abrams wants to reprise that character, again the second film position speaks to the director's confidence. Abrams has his own team at Bad Robot (writers, producers, casters, and the lot!) prepping for a 2013 release, and I have full confidence in the Lost-director. I'm currently watching through Fringe right now, and it's just blowing me away how consistently great the man is at producing, writing, and directing!

On the flip side, a lot of original Trek fans who weren't "wowed" by the reboot are complaining that the crew will ruin the iconic Khan character. Abrams was very mixed about doing a Khan project originally, and there was a lot of rumor that he would instead bring back the Borg. This is totally my own speculation, but I think Abrams decided to pull the trigger in honor of Ricardo Montalban, the original Khan who died recently in 2009.

Your thoughts on the original Star Trek: Wrath of Khan?
How about the rebooted Star Trek by Abrams?
Thoughts on Khan as the main villain, and Benicio del Toro to play the part?

That's because a lot of trek fans still don't seem to grasp that JJ Abram's movie is an alternate timeline! How can Khan be ruined? The original Ricardo Montalban version still exists in the original time stream, the one where Kirk's dad survived, the main continuity. Not the "true" timeline, Trekkies. Abrams can do anything with it he wants and it doesn't do a damned thing to the real trek universe.

That's because a lot of trek fans still don't seem to grasp that JJ Abram's movie is an alternate timeline! How can Khan be ruined? The original Ricardo Montalban version still exists in the original time stream, the one where Kirk's dad survived, the main continuity. Not the "true" timeline, Trekkies. Abrams can do anything with it he wants and it doesn't do a damned thing to the real trek universe.

True, technically has the ability to changed anything (and everything) he wants and it wouldn't mess up the original timeline one bit! What I meant, and what I think people are worried about, is Abrams ruining the legacy of the original Khan character. While anything he does to it is independent of WoK, he can still ruin the memory of Gene Roddenberry's character.

Benicio Del Toro is a perfect chose for the role. I have never been a huge Star Trek fan, but the reboot was very good. I also enjoyed Wrath of Khan and I think it is a risky, yet highly rewarding, prospect of trying to recapture such an iconic film and character. Del Toro is brilliant and is always great as a villain. He is probably in the top 10 of actors working today, so I have faith that he will do the role justice and the final product will be very good.

I would assume this would not be a remake of The Wrath of Khan, but a partial remake of Space Seed with elements of TWOK thrown in. That's a story I'd be interested in watching as Khan could prove to be a very intriguing enemy going up against a younger, less experienced Kirk, especially if an actor around about the age of Benicio Del Toro were to take on the role. That's an interesting clash all round. As for Del Toro playing the role, it's a fine idea.

He's got the gravitas and the talent to pull it off. He can play the role of a leader of men very well and that is what Khan is, even if he is a tyrant. What Abrams did with the first movie was highly intelligent in turning this from a prequel into an entirely new universe based on the same characters. It allows for new stories to be told with the same characters, but without affecting the other story.

However, I see a lot of reports suggesting that Del Toro is either not cast, or that he isn't playing Khan, but an entirely different villain altogether. Whatever the case, I glad an actor the caliber of Del Toro is being linked with Star Trek II.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back