Submission Finishers

Master_Awesome14

Dark Match Winner
Every wrestler should have a submission finisher.
It would make their moveset look better.
post wrestlers and what you want their submission to be.

Yoshi Tatsu-Cloverleaf
He used it in Japan and it would make him look technical.

Submission finishers are good yes but not everyone needs thm. Bigger guys like Batista don't really need them as they just use their power to beat their oppenents and guys like Rey Mysterio and Evan Bourne wouldn't be able to lock in a submission really could they??? Submission finishers should be used for guys like Edge, Christian, Jericho etc, guys who can use them to beat bigger oppenents and show their dominance on smaller ones.

Amen. I mean, pardon my example, but take a look at Benoit. He used the crippler crossface. That was his CLASSIC finisher. You can't deny that was an ultimate way to put down someone. He wasn't the biggest person, and he could put down anyone. Look at his triple threat match at WM20 him, HBK, HHH. That's how he put down HHH, wasn't it? Or was it HBK? But anyways, that can really help the mid size guys. Even Bret Hart and Owen, they weren't the biggest, but yet, it could help assert them in this field over larger peeps like HHH, Stone Cold, etc. :shrug:

Maybe some of the bigger guys can use moves like torture racks, claws, bear hugs, something to show just how huge they are, I miss Haas's Hass of pain, I also liked some of the various stretches, and the bow and arrow.

I completely disagree with the fact that "EVERY" wrestler should have a submission finisher to improve the look of their move set.

First of all, not everybody is gonna look so much better with or without the submission finisher, John Cena has a submission hold, people still shit all over his regular move set, and Chris Benoit had two submission holds (Sharpshooter and Crossface) and I think if they had given a regular finishing move to Benoit, people wouldn't really have cared, cause he was still a beast in the ring, same goes for Kurt Angle.
Certainly you can say "oh but it adds something to their character" yes it certainly does for John, Benoit and Angle, but it doesn't necessarily add anything at all for a guy like, say.. Edge, Christian and John Morrison.

Secondly, as I mentioned above, Edge, Christian and John Morrison wouldn't need a submission hold to remain entertaining and have a great move set, Edge's match at Wrestlemania 26 showed he didn't need a submission hold, Christian and Morrison proves it every night.

But, I do admit there are some, while they don't need a submission hold to have their move set seem more awesome, I wouldn't mind seeing them use one, and Jack Swagger is a great one first off, I liked the submission hold that kinda looked like a Crossface Chickenwing variation, and I would love to see him use that as a regular hold, Jack has proved as of late he's has quite an array of submission holds, the move he put on Undertaker could possibly work too, as a regular submission "I'm wearing you down" hold.

Submissions don't really belong in the WWE because they make it clear they aren't a wrestling company, they're an entertainment show. It's funny really because most PPV matches feature wrestlers working a body part and selling the damage but nothing ever comes of it because about 3 guys have match-winning submission holds.

I still stand by my thought I've had for a year now, let Big Show do the ankle lock, just for shits and giggles. He wouldn't even have to injure the leg first, just let him grab a foot after knocking them the fuck out. It would be better than having him finish every match with the punch he's been trying to hit since the bell rang and it would sell his size and temper. SNAP CENA'S ANKLE OFF! lol

Working over a bodypart is wrestling 101. You're weakening your opponent and softening him up for the finish. The trick though is working over a bodypart that makes sence. For example, if your finisher is a move that slams your opponent down on his back, it'b make a lot of sence to use a lot of backbreakers, suplexes and make your opponent take a lot of back bumps. Or if the opponent 'injures' a body part you attack that. It's all a case of weakinging your opponent so you can finish them when the time comes.

On the subject of submission finishers, I dont think that every wrestler needs one. If that wrestler is a power guy, then he should focus on power moves. If the guy's a high flier, he should focus on doing high risk moves and hitting the supermegadeathflipofdoom for the 3 count. If the guy's a small to medium sized technical wrestler then they definately should have a credible submission hold in their arsenal, whether it's a match ender or not. It should be a hold that looks legitimately painful, hard to escape from and be applied as often as possible. Ziggler has his sleeper, Edge has the sharpshooter and Edgecution, Swagger should keep using the hold he used last night (I think it was a crossface chicken wing, but I'm not sure), or even better, one that affects the abdominal region (to weaken the opponent for the gutwrench powerbomb). That's my take on it anyway.

I think the following need submissions:

The Miz (Most people don't like SCF, would seem uncredible against bigger opponents)
Christian (I'm a HUGE Christian mark, but, Killswitch doesn't come out of no where like a GOOD finisher. In a short match, it holds little credability with me.)
Kofi (I'd like to see him transfer into using the 'SOS' as his finisher, but, he can't use it on the likes of Batista/Undertaker, so a finisher is needed)

Guys like Edge or Jericho DO NOT need a submission IMO. Jericho's Codebreaker is GOLDEN in my opinion. It can come from no where, it looks pretty legit, even when botched, and when done right, looks very good.
I think Edge does fine with the Spear, and makes it looks good. He does also have his DDT, so having submission that's viewed as a 'finisher' it just seems a bit too much.

Here's my question to the IWC. Does Swagger need a submission? I know he has the background to do it, so he could be creative with a submission, but...

Can he do the Gut-Wrench on the likes of The Undertaker, Batista, The Big Show?

Didn't a couple of guys like Jeff Hardy and Christian use the Cloverleaf for a while? And remember that Edge had some bizarre reverse Sharpshooter thing for a while but that never caught on as he was Billy Gunning his career at that point. Even Triple H used the Figure 4 and a Deathlock, although I'm not sure if he ever got a tapout from them.

But guys like Jericho and Punk should definitely bust out their submissions and show people how they're done. It would fit perfectly with Punk making people literally and figuratively submit to him. It would be great if he made Rey tap but he'd probably find some freakish way to get him to lay on the ropes. It seems like Cena's the only one doing a submission now since Taker's normally gone.

As far as new guys go, I think Kofi could benefit from a midmatch submission leglock deal but I doubt he'd get any tapouts. Swagger desperately needs a submission that's credible. I'm up in the air on whether or not Miz needs a new finisher as I really like the SCF. Remember that he sweeps the leg and uses the opponents momentum against them. It seems like it would hurt bigger guys more.

I remember when CM Punk was pretty new and on that undefeated streak right after ECW was re-born, he kept using the Anaconda Vise as his finisher. That was pretty cool to see. I wish he'd bring that back.

I don't really know who would do it or anything but I've always thought (and if I were wrestling, this is the submission hold i would use) that the Iron Claw has been a lost move. It's a great move in the fact that it can be used at any time against any opponent.

NO, not every wrestler should use a submission finisher. Like anything too much waters down the effect. Ever smoke yourself sober? Puff...pufff.....FUCK!
Wrestlers with gimmicks that support submissions should use them. And yes, there will be expections to the rule. Ol Dolf Ziggles is doing very well using the sleeper.
Undertaker should not be using the triangle choke but Punk should bring back the Vice. I do like however seeing a wrestler seize the moment and utilize a move they haven't yet used to get the win. Makes it more exciting and spontanious.

Not everyone needs a submission finisher. A submission hold by its nature creates a long pause in the match, which is what rest holds are for, when you don't want the match to end yet. But of course, no one's going to tap out to a chinlock. Guys like Mysterio or Bourne wouldn't be able realistically to make larger guys submit really, and big guys who are capable of them should use big power moves, like the Batista bomb, tombstone, chokeslam, etc., because they're more visually impressive. I agree that they work best for mid-size wrestlers. Jericho should give up on the walls, though, because it never ends the match. Bringing back the lion tamer as a more threatening finisher would be cool. Guys like Cena who are more basic workers and aren't incredibly technical (Cena doesn't use many suplexes or top-rope maneuvers) don't exactly need a submission hold. I believe he started using the STFU for a PPV submission gimmick match. But then he should have stopped. Not to mention the FU could stand to be replaced. They work best for guys like Benoit who was a technical wizard in the ring and who knew and used several submissions. Another one who doesn't need it is Taker, who used the Hell's gate for a while. He already has one of the best offensive move sets of any wrestler in WWE, no need to pretend it's MMA. Angle was another who was a legit Olympic gold medalist wrestler so the ankle lock fit him very well, and submissions in general.

to TheLunatic, yes i believe swagger has enough size to bomb taker and tista, I also, however, believe he needs a decent submission also. He's a big mat guy. His main points are mat wrestling, lisping, tech wrestling, lisping, and impersonating sylvester the cat...and lisping. I'd think, to go along with the gutwrench powerbomb, he should do a modified abdominal stretch. Similar to the Octopus, but more Swaggery

I would love to see ol Shwagger lock on an ankle lock. It would be pretty awesome. Being a mat wrestler, he could totally pull it off. Plus, it would seed the fued he will have when Kurt Angle returns (ITS DAMN TRUE). Shwagger could mock him and what-not then they could have a match for the rights to use the ankle lock. Or, heck he could use the Americana, a lateral keylock known in judo as ude-garami, thus bringing a true MMA move into the WWE. And it fits his "All American, American". I am Jack Shwagger, the all American, American and I'll make you tap out with the all American Americana. And there you have it.

I'm sorry, but the less guys that they FORCE submission finishers on, the better. I hate to say it, because I love submissions, but when you start piling them on, they start to lose what makes them great.

In this day and age, fans also don't want to see wrestlers "working a bodypart" to set up for their submission finisher. Look at old Ric Flair matches where he would spend 10 minutes "working the leg" of his opponent to set them up for the Figure Four.

It makes for a great visual, but when you get guys like the Rock (every time he did the Sharpshooter, it looked like he was in more pain doing it than the wrestler that was receiving it) and John Cena (though I will say his technique with the STF has gotten better over the last couple of years) pulling submissions, they really start to lose their luster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back