• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Stone Cold VS Taker at High Noon

No Count Pup

Just call on me brother
Vince McMahon makes a proclamation that the Undertaker's next WrestleMania loss will be his last. Taker wins at WrestleMania 31 and appears on Raw the following night. Before he can utter a word, glass shatters and Stone Cold approaches the ring. Austin goes eyeball to eyeball with Taker and says something like "Son, I don't like zombies. It ends at high noon in Dallas."

Do you think WWE is considering an Austin vs. Taker match at WrestleMania 32? If both wrestled a brawling style, could it work in 2016? Could it draw 100,000 fans?

They didn't have good matches at their prime they probably won't have a good one now... No thanks but good try though

I don't see it.

1. I think both guys are done. With the streak over, Undertaker should retire. Have a HoF moment, but that's all that should be expected of him at this point. Likewise, I don't think Austin is healthy enough or really driven enough at this point in his life to have one last match.

2. We've seen this match so many times. SummerSlam 1998. Rock Bottom 1998. Over The Edge 1999. Fully Loaded 1999. Judgement Day 2001. Backlash 2002. I'm sure there were others as well. But without a gimmick like First Blood or Buried Alive, these two great workers never had great chemistry together. The matches were average back then, I don't want to see what they'd be like now.

The WWE (If in typical Vince fashion want to push name power over new stars) they have a few potential big time main events to play with over the next couple of WrestleMania's. Any one of the following, or a combination of the following, could main event WM31 or 32:

Sting vs John Cena
This is more likely than Undertaker at this point, and I could see this happening for WM31, to be honest. Especially if they're not sold on Reign's drawing power.

Sting vs Triple H
Likewise, if Cena is involved in something else, subbing in Triple H would also be a marquee matchup for Sting's likely one and only WWE match. If Sting is only wrestling once, it makes sense for it to be against an established name.

Brock Lesnar vs Roman Reigns
This is the rumoured WM31 main event. They're building Roman up to be the next big star, let's see if he gets the biggest spot on the biggest show.

Brock Lesnar vs The Rock
This is the other rumoured WM31 main event, which if you believe the reports, Vince feels would be a much bigger draw than Roman Reigns. This could be saved for WM32 perhaps.

Roman Reigns vs John Cena
It may be too early in Reign's push for this match to feel big. But it could be perfect in a year or two as the two "faces of the company" go toe to toe.

Roman Reigns vs Seth Rollins vs Dean Ambrose
Probably more of a smark pipedream at this point, but this match is bound to happen at some point. Maybe more of a SummerSlam or B PPV main event though than WrestleMania calibre, at least for now.

Personally, I'd like to see a combination of the above to sell the next two WrestleMania's:

WrestleMania 31:
Brock Lesnar 'C' vs Roman Reigns - WWE World Heavyweight Championship
John Cena vs Sting

WrestleMania 32:
Brock Lesnar vs The Rock
Roman Reigns 'C' vs John Cena - WWE World Heavyweight Championship

Also, considering how big the stage will be at AT&T Stadium, I don't think they'll be selling 100,000 tickets. Closer to 80,000 probably.

I don't see it.

1. I think both guys are done. With the streak over, Undertaker should retire. Have a HoF moment, but that's all that should be expected of him at this point. Likewise, I don't think Austin is healthy enough or really driven enough at this point in his life to have one last match.

2. We've seen this match so many times. SummerSlam 1998. Rock Bottom 1998. Over The Edge 1999. Fully Loaded 1999. Judgement Day 2001. Backlash 2002. I'm sure there were others as well. But without a gimmick like First Blood or Buried Alive, these two great workers never had great chemistry together. The matches were average back then, I don't want to see what they'd be like now.

The WWE (If in typical Vince fashion want to push name power over new stars) they have a few potential big time main events to play with over the next couple of WrestleMania's. Any one of the following, or a combination of the following, could main event WM31 or 32:

Sting vs John Cena
This is more likely than Undertaker at this point, and I could see this happening for WM31, to be honest. Especially if they're not sold on Reign's drawing power.

Sting vs Triple H
Likewise, if Cena is involved in something else, subbing in Triple H would also be a marquee matchup for Sting's likely one and only WWE match. If Sting is only wrestling once, it makes sense for it to be against an established name.

Brock Lesnar vs Roman Reigns
This is the rumoured WM31 main event. They're building Roman up to be the next big star, let's see if he gets the biggest spot on the biggest show.

Brock Lesnar vs The Rock
This is the other rumoured WM31 main event, which if you believe the reports, Vince feels would be a much bigger draw than Roman Reigns. This could be saved for WM32 perhaps.

Roman Reigns vs John Cena
It may be too early in Reign's push for this match to feel big. But it could be perfect in a year or two as the two "faces of the company" go toe to toe.

Roman Reigns vs Seth Rollins vs Dean Ambrose
Probably more of a smark pipedream at this point, but this match is bound to happen at some point. Maybe more of a SummerSlam or B PPV main event though than WrestleMania calibre, at least for now.

Personally, I'd like to see a combination of the above to sell the next two WrestleMania's:

WrestleMania 31:
Brock Lesnar 'C' vs Roman Reigns - WWE World Heavyweight Championship
John Cena vs Sting

WrestleMania 32:
Brock Lesnar vs The Rock
Roman Reigns 'C' vs John Cena - WWE World Heavyweight Championship

Also, considering how big the stage will be at AT&T Stadium, I don't think they'll be selling 100,000 tickets. Closer to 80,000 probably.

I wouldn't say they lack chemistry. Austin and Taker had an excellent match at Cold Day in Hell and a memorable match at Summerslam 1998. I could see them brawl and throw in a few dramatic spots, in the style of Taker-Triple H from WrestleMania 27. If WWE has the goal of breaking their WrestleMania attendance record, they need a spectacle. To have two Mount Rushmore wrestlers duke it out one final time in Texas would be a crazy sight.

No question, your other dream matches would be big. But I just think for a Texas main event, it couldn't be bigger than Austin-Taker.

I don't wanna see Taker vs Austin at Wrestlemania 32..Like i"ve said in other threads concerning Taker coming back at future Wrestlemanias, it makes no sense for him to return since his streak's dead...Just let it go..

Granted, Taker/Austin had some great matches together, but keep in mind that was in the 20th century. We're 14 years into the 21st century and I really hope that Austin/Taker doesn't happen..Neither man has jack shit left to prove..Plus, Taker wouldn't even be able to hit some of the major spots he's hit in his previous Wrestlemania matches if he goes against Austin..Taker can't Tombstone Austin nor can he give Austin a Last Ride..If Taker wins, the finish will likely be Taker giving Austin a weakass Chokeslam to protect Austin's neck.

I don't wanna see Taker vs Austin at Wrestlemania 32..Like i"ve said in other threads concerning Taker coming back at future Wrestlemanias, it makes no sense for him to return since his streak's dead...Just let it go..

Granted, Taker/Austin had some great matches together, but keep in mind that was in the 20th century. We're 14 years into the 21st century and I really hope that Austin/Taker doesn't happen..Neither man has jack shit left to prove..Plus, Taker wouldn't even be able to hit some of the major spots he's hit in his previous Wrestlemania matches if he goes against Austin..Taker can't Tombstone Austin nor can he give Austin a Last Ride..If Taker wins, the finish will likely be Taker giving Austin a weakass Chokeslam to protect Austin's neck.

You make a great point about Austin's neck. On the plus side, Taker is very safe. If WWE wanted to, they could mention the danger Austin faces if he's Tombstoned. It would be a gutsy move, but it would add drama to the match.

I have to admit though, watching Austin take a Tombstone would be a cringeworthy moment.

You make a great point about Austin's neck. On the plus side, Taker is very safe. If WWE wanted to, they could mention the danger Austin faces if he's Tombstoned. It would be a gutsy move, but it would add drama to the match.

I have to admit though, watching Austin take a Tombstone would be a cringeworthy moment.

When Taker and Austin had a WWF Title match at the IYH PPV A Cold Day In Hell back in mid 1997, Taker Tombstoned Austin and I promise you that's the last time Austin will ever take a Tombstone from Undertaker...

Here's the clip-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRMSkbz9CAU

Here's precisely the type of Chokeslam Austin will be pinned by if this Wrestlemania 32 match ever happened-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1UPBLm8Qiw

When Taker and Austin had a WWF Title match at the IYH PPV A Cold Day In Hell back in mid 1997, Taker Tombstoned Austin and I promise you that's the last time Austin will ever take a Tombstone from Undertaker...

Here's the clip-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRMSkbz9CAU

Here's precisely the type of Chokeslam Austin will be pinned by if this Wrestlemania 32 match ever happened-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1UPBLm8Qiw

It wasn't one of Taker's finest Tombstones. The move was reversed a few times, and that can always be dicey. I still feel that the threat of a Tombstone could add to the psychology of the match. I'm confident that Taker could deliver the move safely to Stone Cold.

Even though I reach a different conclusion than you, I have to admit your side of the discussion is very persuasive. I would be kidding myself to say otherwise.

Austin hasn't wrestled in 11 years, and has had several recurring injuries and after effects that he has gone on record saying would probably keep him out of the ring. Undertaker suffered a serious concussion and looked especially brittle in his match against Lesnar. His body can't take the beating of even one match a year.

Why on Earth would anyone seriously want to entertain the notion of these two getting in the ring? I'm all for fantasy match ups, but can we acknowledge that this has about as much likelihood as Hulk Hogan pulling off a Huracanrana? It's not even a realistic possibility for WrestleMania 31, 32 or whatever WrestleMania you envision this in.

Heck, maybe put stuff like this in its own fantasy forum somewhere?

Austin hasn't wrestled in 11 years, and has had several recurring injuries and after effects that he has gone on record saying would probably keep him out of the ring. Undertaker suffered a serious concussion and looked especially brittle in his match against Lesnar. His body can't take the beating of even one match a year.

Why on Earth would anyone seriously want to entertain the notion of these two getting in the ring? I'm all for fantasy match ups, but can we acknowledge that this has about as much likelihood as Hulk Hogan pulling off a Huracanrana? It's not even a realistic possibility for WrestleMania 31, 32 or whatever WrestleMania you envision this in.

Heck, maybe put stuff like this in its own fantasy forum somewhere?

In what regard is this a fantasy? Austin has kept the door open to one more match. Undertaker has not retired. WrestleMania 32 is in Texas. WWE will try to break its own WrestleMania attendance record. Is it crazy to think that WWE could go all out?

Brock Lesnar ended the streak. Would a part timer ending the streak have been considered fantasy thinking in March? Daniel Bryan defeated Evolution at WrestleMania 30 for the title. Would a prediction of anything in that realm have been considered fantasy in January? HBK began an improbable eight year run by defeating Triple H at Summerslam 2002. Would it have been fantasy to speculate that HBK had a few more years in the tank back in 2001? As we've learned before, as long as a wrestler is breathing there's always a chance Vince McMahon will use that wrestler to cash in or shock the audience. I think Austin vs. Taker at WrestleMania 32 would be less surprising than the Lesnar, DB, and HBK stuff. Speculating on plausible WrestleMania main events is not fantasy. Hypotheticals are the lifeblood of any wrestling discussion. To label hypotheticals fantasy would be to label just about every wrestling discussion fantasy.

In what regard is this a fantasy? Austin has kept the door open to one more match. Undertaker has not retired. WrestleMania 32 is in Texas. WWE will try to break its own WrestleMania attendance record. Is it crazy to think that WWE could go all out?

It's fantasy because it ignores the realities of these two guys' health. You might as well ask for Andre The Giant and Ultimate Warrior to have a rematch.

Brock Lesnar ended the streak. Would a part timer ending the streak have been considered fantasy thinking in March? Daniel Bryan defeated Evolution at WrestleMania 30 for the title. Would a prediction of anything in that realm have been considered fantasy in January? HBK began an improbable eight year run by defeating Triple H at Summerslam 2002. Would it have been fantasy to speculate that HBK had a few more years in the tank back in 2001? I think Austin vs. Taker at WrestleMania 32 would be less surprising than all of those things. Speculating on plausible WrestleMania main events is not fantasy. Hypotheticals are the lifeblood of any wrestling discussion. To label hypotheticals fantasy would be to label just about every wrestling discussion fantasy.

Apples and oranges. Anything can happen in wrestling when you have able bodies in the ring. Austin is approaching 50 years old, and his neck injury is something that would keep him out of a legit match.

It wasn't one of Taker's finest Tombstones. The move was reversed a few times, and that can always be dicey. I still feel that the threat of a Tombstone could add to the psychology of the match. I'm confident that Taker could deliver the move safely to Stone Cold.

Even though I reach a different conclusion than you, I have to admit your side of the discussion is very persuasive. I would be kidding myself to say otherwise.

I see where you're coming from with the Tombstone threat. IF Taker and Austin ever had this match, that'd be an interesting way to promote it. I was listening to an Austin interview a number of years back(I haven't been able to find it online otherwise I'd post the link) where he said because of his neck injuries he'll never take any type of Piledrivers or Powerbombs ever again because the risk of him being severely injured is too great.

You're right that it wasn't one of Taker's best Tombstones. Though at the same time, I don't know if Taker would even agree to give Austin a Tombstone if they wrestled again.

I see where you're coming from with the Tombstone threat. IF Taker and Austin ever had this match, that'd be an interesting way to promote it. I was listening to an Austin interview a number of years back(I haven't been able to find it online otherwise I'd post the link) where he said because of his neck injuries he'll never take any type of Piledrivers or Powerbombs ever again because the risk of him being severely injured is too great.

You're right that it wasn't one of Taker's best Tombstones. Though at the same time, I don't know if Taker would even agree to give Austin a Tombstone if they wrestled again.

I didn't know about the Austin interview. No doubt those moves by their very nature could be dangerous for Stone Cold.

I've said it in other threads if The Undertaker is going to have another match it needs to be against Sting, or even Brock Lesnar. What would be the point in him facing Stone Cold? we've seen the match several times, and I personally don't think they've ever worked great together.

In interviews over the years I've heard Stone Cold say he could get two more years out his body if he wanted to, but in more recent interviews I've heard him ask what would be the point? He's said, and I'm paraphrasing a bit, He'd train for several months too get prepared for the match, have the match, then what? I kinda feel same way. Then what? What's the point?

If Austin were to have one more match, I'd like to see it be against CM Punk, Randy Orton maybe. If it would be someone that he has history with Triple H or The Rock be great. Though from a storyline sense I'm not sure how a match with The Rock would work, but they've always worked great together.

At this point Stone Cold having one more match is a pipe dream.

Taker v Austin fights where so good due to the physicality, the two mens styles did not suit but the aggression and passion made their fights. It would be but a blot on two fantastic careers IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back