• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Stone Cold Stunner vs. RKO

Cenation716

5-time XBPW Heavyweight Champion
Okay guys & gals, here's one for yah, which move do you prefer? And why? The Stunner by Stone Cold Steve Austin or Randy Orton's RKO? Both moves have pros, and cons. Here's my opinion:

RKO:

Pros:
1.)*it can be hit out of nowhere.
2.) it looks absolutely beautiful, almost like it's a work of art when it's executed.
3.) not only does it look amazing, but it looks painful & devastating. Just think of having your face slammed into the mat from that height & that speed. Plus, you never see it coming.

Cons:
1.) it's just becoming too predictable now. You either have Orton slamming his hands on the mat & going into "psycho viper mode" & when his opponent gets up, you know he's doing to hit it. Or, you have an opponent all groggy & out of nowhere, OH RKO! RKO! Then there's the times when Orton is being beat up bad & he hits the RKO from nowhere.*

Stunner:

Pros:
1.) it was one of the most iconic & well known moves in the 1990's & 2000's.
2.) Steve would hit the Stunner on anybody, including Mr. McMahon, authority figures, etc.
3.) like the RKO, it looks painful to have executed on yourself.

Cons:

1.) you have to really be in the right position to execute using the Stunner, & sometimes opponents know that & avoid it at all costs.
2.) sometimes it just looks like the opponent is just having his head carried down on Steve's shoulders, not even coming close to hitting the canvas.

We've seen Randy reverse a 5-knuckle shuffle, an AA, an Air Bourne, a Twist of Fate, a Chokeslam into an RKO. He went on to win those matches (if they were matches, Air Bourne is one of those exceptions). We've also seen him execute it when somebody is jumping of the top rope (examples being Carlito & Rey Mysterio).

Stone Cold has Stunned Mr. McMahon, JBL on RAW recently, John Cena & Big Show at Tribute to the Troops years ago (when Cena was heel), Goldberg & Lesnar at WrestleMania XX.*

All in all, these moves have created entertaining television & moments we can never forget & when we look back on them, we just say, WOW!

For the record, I prefer the Stunner.

Bonus question:*
Would you like to see a match between Steve & Randy? If so, what type of match, stips, run-ins & how you'd like it to end? (the winner & the way it ends; DQ, count-out, no contest, pin, submission, referee stoppage, etc.)

Okay wrestling fans, GO AT IT!

"2.) sometimes it just looks like the opponent is just having his head carried down on Steve's shoulders, not even coming close to hitting the canvas."

Like you, I prefer the stunner to the RKO mainly because it looks straight nasty and the reason I quoted the above is because the stunner is NOT meant to have your face hit the canvas. The stunner is intended to have your jaw on Austins shoulder and dropping at an a faster rate to abrutly have your jaw shatter on his shoulder when his bottom hits the canvas at a fast and hard rate therefore it works as a stunning move ala the "Stunner"

Ah, you're right. Good point. Very effective to have your jaw slam on his shoulder. Really does stun you.

"2.) sometimes it just looks like the opponent is just having his head carried down on Steve's shoulders, not even coming close to hitting the canvas."

Like you, I prefer the stunner to the RKO mainly because it looks straight nasty and the reason I quoted the above is because the stunner is NOT meant to have your face hit the canvas. The stunner is intended to have your jaw on Austins shoulder and dropping at an a faster rate to abrutly have your jaw shatter on his shoulder when his bottom hits the canvas at a fast and hard rate therefore it works as a stunning move ala the "Stunner"

I was just about to say and quote the same thing.. the Stunner is basically a jawbreaker..

and I too like the Stunner more.. it always looks like it hurts when Austin drops to his ass and someone's jaw is being smashed down onto his shoulder

but I'm also a fan of the RKO, but i always liked it more when DDP did it, as the Diamond Cutter :)

Of course, everyone knows that both these moves were originally invented by someone else. The Stunner was the Ace Crusher by Johnny Ace, and the RKO was the Diamond Cutter by DDP. I have not seen Ace execute his version, I just know that's where it came from, but DDP was the master of his move. The way Orton hits it from anywhere reminds me of DDP doing the same thing or similar in WCW days. Both are impressive moves though.

Actually, the reason why people like that the RKO can be hit "out of nowhere" is the exact reason why I prefer the Stunner...

... because of the Set Up...

... which was the good ol' kick to the gut that made the opponent double over to get them in prime position for the Stunner.

First, i like RKO more!!
Its my favourite finisher since i watch WWE
(not a long time, but its what i like the most and it will ever be) and of course i've seen Austin greatest fights and i also love the Stunner and how well the most times is executed!!

But for me, the RKO is the finisher!!
We can predict sometimes when it going to hit, however sometimes we get stunned and surprised how he does it!! =) Evan Bourne, Cena's AA etc...
Always give the angle that can come from out of nowhere!

I hope, i really do hope that they make the match between

Stone Cold Steve Austin vs Randy Orton - That match has to go to TOP10 !!

If Austin could do one more match, Orton is the perfect guy to him!!

We only have to use our imagination...

Randy Orton cutting a promo that he and John Cena dominate WWE, and that he needs something to be the best, and that is dream since he was a child, and he thinks that he cant be, because he doesnt have competition!!

Next Week,
Randy Orton vs Daniel Bryan - When Orton was about to RKO Daniel Bryan, Stone Cold song hit, and he gets surprised...

SCSA enters in the ring, Daniel Bryan is about to get is feets on, and Orton delivers him the RKO, and goes for the pin, staring at SCSA!!

He even trys to punt him in the head, and SCSA grab the mic and say:

SCSA - Wait, wait Randy!! We all know that i'm a ruthless cold heart, but that time let this guy go, because i have something to tell you!!

Bryan gets out of the ring, and SCSA stays in the ring with Orton

SCSA- I hear what you've said last week, you need some competition right?
Well, if you stop punt this guys in the head, they can really work hard to give you some of that competition!
Well, i have left the WWE ring for a long time, i dont even know exactly, but there is something i'm sure i can do, and that thing is beating you up, boy!!!

Orton smiles and asks for the mic to SCSA:

Orton- Do you really think so? Hey people tell him, do you really think that he can beat me?

People cheering and saying YES!!

Orton - Hey Austin, i dont know if you remember, but there was a time that i really enjoyed beating old guys, i'm sure everybody knows "The Legend Killer"!! So if you want a fight with me, there is something that you can count on the end, your head being punted and you in the ER ROOM!

People- Boooooooooooooo!! Orton you SUCK!!

SCSA - So lets have a match, SCSA LAST MATCH!! A DREAM MATCH!!
THE LEGEND KILLER Randy Orton vs 3.16 Stone Cold STEVE AUSTIN!!
Everybody if you want me, to kick this guy ass at SummerSlam, please give me a hell ya

People- Screaming "Hell YA" and go crazy XD

SCSA - So Orton, do we have a match? Back in the days, a singles match was nothing to be take serious!! I'm thinking something new!!
I'm thinking about a "NO HOLDS BARRED LAST MAN STANDING MATCH"

Orton take the mic of SCSA hands

Orton - Lets do it, old guy!!

Then he put the mic right next to SCSA feets, and when Stone Cold trys to grab it, he RKOs him =D

Then at SummerSlam or WM, whatever, they clash!!

Fighting everywhere, with stairs, steel chairs, tools, tables!! Doing Moves like

The Rock Bottom, Atitude Adjustment, Figure Four Leglock, STFU, Crossfaces, going to the corner and try to fly!!

2 Stunners and 3 RKO's
and in the end
Orton and Stone Cold are in the ground, the referee start counting, when he is at 8 Orton uses the ropes to put his feet up, and WINS!!

Im not saying that Orton is better than SCSA (he isnt), thats only the way that i do this match =D

Stone Cold Stunner all the way. You're bang on, the RKO is too predictable, but, sometimes I like predictable because when you know it's coming you're just screaming at the TV for it to happen.

If they were to clash, Orton would have to be a top heel and it would have to be either WrestleMania, SummerSlam or Survivor Series. SCSA would have to win but all round a good match and probably (for once) a good build up.

I have to thumbs up the RKO simply for the different ways its been done, Off the top rope, through a table out of a FU, Shoot StaRKO, Its just made a simple move into an OMG Moment.
The Stunner wasn't quite as integral to Stone Cold's character, as the RKO is for Orton.
You'd anticipate the stunner as much as the RKO, but I never heard "Stunner" chants, You could of fit just about any move into that position in reality.

I have always preferred the Stunner. Like the original poster stated, the RKO has become too predictable, though it does look nice.

Plus, the way The Rock sold the Stunner was fantastic.

Quite a lot to ponder here. It's certainly an interesting topic - hence why I'll have a fair amount to say.

I should say now that this is ultimately a matter of opinion. Most of my comments here are reactions to the OP which I disagreed with, or which set off my thought process. I want to establish now that a) it's a difference of opinion and that neither of us can be right or wrong, and thus b) it's going to look like I'm trying to dismantle the OP. I'm not. It's just easier to follow my thought process that way. Anything I don't comment on, it should be assumed I agree with.

RKO:

Pros:
1.)*it can be hit out of nowhere.

By this do you mean that Orton can do it to any wrestler at anytime, or that it comes "out of nowhere" more colloquially where you didn't see it coming?

A good finisher can be done to any wrestler - Mick Foley comments in Have A Nice Day that Undertaker found feuding Big Show really difficult, because he couldn't do his finisher (Tombstone) to him. That's part of the reason Mankind finished with the Mandible Claw and Cactus Jack the double-underhook DDT.

On the other hand, the move that no-one can see coming is IMO the antithesis of what a finisher is all about. The finisher is supposed to finish off the opponent. Not beat them. The finisher is supposed to be used when your opponent is already beaten, but not to the point of pinning them.

This second feature of the RKO really annoys me, actually. Randy Orton has been beat down the entire match, and a single move is all it takes? It makes the meta-game of move selection and makes it look stupid! If the RKO is that devastating, that everyone should be using it! Look at MMA - BJJ comes along and beats all the other styles easily, so everyone learns it. If an MMA fighter discovered a hold that can be done to anyone at any time, within a month every fighter would be using it. At least other moves with similar strength levels (Stone Cold Stunner or Tombstone, for example) have a set up that mean you've got to get some sort of beatdown first - or at least take the other guy wildly by surprise. (And don't tell me that the other guy wasn't expecting Orton to try an RKO at some point - there is no way he should be able to surprise someone mid match with his own finisher! Unless the other guy is stupid.)

Cons:
1.) it's just becoming too predictable now. You either have Orton slamming his hands on the mat & going into "psycho viper mode" & when his opponent gets up, you know he's doing to hit it. Or, you have an opponent all groggy & out of nowhere, OH RKO! RKO! Then there's the times when Orton is being beat up bad & he hits the RKO from nowhere.*

Indeed. I think that's sort of what I talked about above (or even the same, and I'm not reading it right). It's basically poor match psychology. A well executed wrestling match looks like a real fight, but also tells some kind of story. While in real fights people do occasionally come from behind to get a surprise win, not that much. For the story to be engaging we have to genuinely believe that both guys have a chance to win. Orton's "the RKO could come from nowhere" is an easy way to let himself get beat up while keeping that alive. I could buy the RKO as a way to suddenly turn momentum, but not as a match winner on its own.

Stunner:

Cons:

1.) you have to really be in the right position to execute using the Stunner, & sometimes opponents know that & avoid it at all costs.

This is a good thing for me. It means the audience knows its coming, so you can build up anticipation a little bit, or you can tease them by setting it up, and then having something else. It adds more tools to SCSA's psychological arsenal.

2.) sometimes it just looks like the opponent is just having his head carried down on Steve's shoulders, not even coming close to hitting the canvas.

As people have already pointed out, that's exactly what a stunner ("seated three-quarter facelock jawbreaker" according to wikipedia :conehead: ) should do.

For the record, I prefer the Stunner.

For the reasons above, I emphatically agree.

Bonus question:*
Would you like to see a match between Steve & Randy? If so, what type of match, stips, run-ins & how you'd like it to end? (the winner & the way it ends; DQ, count-out, no contest, pin, submission, referee stoppage, etc.)

Okay wrestling fans, GO AT IT!

Stipulations need to make sense in terms of the ongoing story, so it would be impossible to choose any of them for me, without seeing the set up. I've always been a biggest fan of 2/3 falls though - it gives each guy a bit of scope to really show off their character as they set up for the third and final fall. (Remember you can use DQs or count-outs as falls, so you don't have to make anyone look weak)

I'd finish the match with Orton doing an RKO, and SCSA kicking out. Orton throws Austin off the ropes, who ducks a clothesline and then dishes out a few offensive moves, finishing with his stun- I mean "seated three-quarter facelock jawbreaker" - for the win.

I would prefer for it to be an ironman match coz i love the long drawn out matches and i would have it as a tie and scsa hits a stunner orton kicks out then orton hits hits the stunner and scsa kicks out stone cold hits the rko and stone cold wins.

lets get this started, the RKO is good but the stone cold stunner takes the cake (as i am a major stone cold fan, of course ima orton fan as well) but stone cold wins out every time there.

-stone cold steve austin vs randy orton, easily a match that most people (myself included) would love to see.
-i would want to see this match take place in a no holds barred match in the elimination chamber (extremely deadly, plus how else do you hold the rattlesnake and the viper XP).
-stipulation a no holds barred elimination chamber match up.
-constant run ins. like orton trash talks steve then steve comes and stuns orton then steve dissing orton and then orton rko's steve. have this for 3 weeks on RAW and SMACKDOWN then their match up at survivor series.
-i would end the match with the nexus interupting the match then orton and steve working together to beat the nexus.
-then another match (no holds barred, w/o the elim chamber) the following RAW in which steve austin wins with a stunner, then the viper hits an RKO, then nexus comes out again and attacks randy, then when steve come to, he destroys nexus with randy then stuns randy and gives him a F you. steve has a beer with the crowd and cole (you know, cole having beer dumped on him while cole is defending the nexus), then end with cole getting stunned, another beer in the ring then steve going to the back.

Do you know why there is a blue color? And then do you know why there is a red color?

These two different colors and so many others make the world look so colorful! So why the hell damn every single time it comes to the point when people ask and answer which is the best?

There is no best move in the wrestling. You can have a favorite, you can not have the best.

Now that the rant is over, here's my opinion.

I liked the Stonecold Stunner so much back in the day. It looked so devastating. But this two, in a way are similar moves. They both hold the opponent's head with their right hand and they both jump. Stonecold puts his own ass in trouble when he hits the stunner and Randy Orton puts his whole body in trouble when he hits the RKO and jumps backward on the mat/floor.

My favorite is......

Now as far as the match goes, I think a face vs face match is possible between the two but I clearly don't see audience divided in to two if that happens. IMO if they were to face each other as face vs face, Randy Orton will automatically become heel because people won't buy his shit (with all due respect). So better have a face vs heel match. And Stonecold wins that one, just to send people home happy.

Stone Cold Stunner, all the way.

It's just such a fucking 'Attitude' finisher, complete with a coupla of Stone Cold Middle Finger Salutes. The move itself looks much more "devastating if done for real" also.

The RKO is just the lame DDP Diamond Cutter. Kinda boring.

in reply to the original post the stunner wasnt supposed to look like it was hitting the canvas it hits his shoulder everyone knows that..and i personally think its better becuz of the effect it had on the opponents...even tho it was the victim themselves that made it look so good...but wen the rock gets stunned and then does a backward somersault it looks awesome haha rko happens n u just flip over big deal...the stunner looks more damaging bcuz of that and so i think its better

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
i wish i read the previous posts before i wrote mine haha i just read the original post n now im saying things that have already been said..welll anyway case closed stunner is better n austin vs ortion would be a good match austin would win obv

To begin, neither move actually seems like it hurts. jerr hardy's thing where he would drop to his butt and have your head come down and hit his looks way more devasting, but that is besides the point.

stunner all the way. the set up was good, and defined scsa's character. he made it work. orton took it from ddp, who i thought did it better by the way, and i really cant get into it too much. people pop now for whatever reason, but i always thought that orton didnt do it as well.

I think Orton's rko is better as it can be executed on chairs, on/through tables/ off the ladders.
and why everyones saying that rko is predictable. The only thing that is predictable about the RKO is that its unpredictable.

I feel like the RKO is predictable simply because of the writing, not because of the move itself. If Austin went "Psycho Stone Cold" every time he was about to hit the Stunner, you'd call it predictable too.

That said, I feel as though the Stunner is the better move, if only via nostalgia bias. RKO is definitely very, very bad ass though.

I like the RKO because it has countered so many finishers. The chokeslam, the FU, the air bourne, the twist of fate. The list goes on. It looks like it hurts more based on the speed of your head slamming to the floor, and the height you do it from.

The stunner has a nice badass feel to it but is doesnt look as painful and is more predictable than the RKO as nearly every time he does his little toe kick before the stunner. Once he hits the toe kick, you know the Stunners coming.

Overall I prefer RKO.

I'm a huge fan of finesse, so I'm going to vote RKO for this. The RKO is just so pretty and quick like Sweet Chin Music being hit out of nowhere, but the RKO is more than just a kick so I find it even better than Sweet Chin Music. I personally think that these 2 finishers are ahead of SCM and the Tombstone for the best finishers ever, only because both of them have been hit on celebrities, authority figures, and any wrestler who has faced Stone Cold or Randy Orton.

It's almost unfair that these moves are so much more exciting than others but hey what can you do about it

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back