• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Stone Cold Steve Austin: One Trick Pony?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkey_Mania

I Am The One Who Knocks
Maybe he really isnt the man everyone thinks he is. Sure, he helped usher in the most overrated era known to mankind. The Attitude Era. But I got to thinking the other day.

Is he really that great?

I mean this by looking at all that he's done. Sure, he made alot of money and was the top draw. But after you've seen one Stone Cold moment, you've seen them all. From the beer truck to the Zamboni. Him getting tossed off the bridge to him beating McMahon up in the hospital.

What im getting at. He's boring. He has absolutely no replay value whatsoever. At least with me I dont ever want to see those moments again. Once was enough and now its an eysore to sit through. Unlike Hulk Hogan. Who to this day I still watch old footage, and get goosebumps all the time, and NEVER get tired of. Or even The Rock, who still gets me feeling the electricity when he speaks.

Stone Cold Steve Austin was never the best. He never will be. He was only as good as his competition, which whom he had great competition to work with, HHH, The Rock, Kane, Undertaker, Vince, Mankind, Bret Hart, HBK. Unlike some of the others Like Hogan who always didnt have great competition but still looked great.

I hope you get where Im coming from. In my mind, Stone Cold is a One Trick Pony. He used the same gimmick throughout his entire run, and it does NOT stand the test of time.

I'm half and half on this, but leaning towards Monkey's side. To begin with, anyone that thinks that someone or something played a bigger role in WWF beating WCW is dead wrong. Austin carried that company through the darkest times it ever had, and is a company hero with total carte blanche because of it.

That being said, Monkey is right. Austin has many legendary moments, but there's little I'd watch more than once or twice. A few months back, I found a youtube account with every Raw and PPV from the night after the Screwjob up through Summerslam 98. Austin was king of the damn world back then, but it was HHH, Rock and Taker that were the most interesting to me. Austin got out there in front of the camera and did his thing, and people reacted to it because no mainstream guy had been even close to this before. Beer drinking on air???

Earlier this year he came back to meet Santino over the Condemned. He did the exact same thing that he did ten years before. It was cool then, its boring now. I think the best way to put it is Austin has no shelf life. Back in the late 90s, what he did was indeed ground breaking. But now, its tame. If he showed up on Raw, I'd mark out like no other, but would I want to watch a replay of it? I doubt it.

See thats the thing. I wouldnt even mark out. He could come back for real and I wouldnt even care. They overplayed his gimmick way too much. He would come out like you said, deliver 12,000 stunners and drink 45 beers. Leave the ring, then come back 3 months later and repeat. It's boring. I've seen it too much. I'd rather say my prayers and take some vitamins. Or Maybe smell wha the Rock is cooking. Stone Cold is boring now. Plain and simple.

Well of course its boring now. Stone Cold has arguably done more crazy stunts and has had more controversial moments than any other superstar in history. Pointing a gun at Vince, being thrown off a bridge, cussing people out, things like that were largely unheard of at the time.

Many others have attempted to repeat the same stuff as Austin did, and failed because we weren't suprised by it anymore. Not only that, but Austin liked to do the same things like stunning Vice over and over again. After a while, you just aren't suprised by it anymore.

This ties in with the idea as to why shock TV doesn't have the same effect that it use to. Its because we are all desensitized to it, or most of it anyway. Are we really going to be surprised if someone else decides to execute their finisher on Vince? No.

Granted, I would be shocked if someone decided to bring a gun the ring this day and age, but somehow I don't think that would sit to well with others. You know how the media is when it comes to wrestling. They're one of the reasons why the WWE has toned down alot of its mature content. Its all about bringing a good message to the kids.

I kinda agree with this also. He obviously was the biggest draw in the attitude era and the biggest reason why that era did so well but I never found him as entertaining as The Rock or Foley. I got tired of him by the end of 99. I did start to enjoy him again though during the Alliance angle especially his promos with Kurt and Vince, I thought those were hilarious. But for the most part it was the same old thing every week with him. Basically he would come out, flip the bird, do some stunners then slam some beers. It got kinda old to me after awhile. With that said I still go back once in awhile and watch some of his classic moments like the beer truck incident on the internet. Not so much for him but for nostalgia purposes and to see and hear the crowd reaction. I will say the pops he generated were second to none.

What's wrong with Austin is that he's become a novelty act that is being shown way too much. It was fun back when he was an active member of the roster, but now that he's retired, he shows up way too often to make it so the impact isn't nearly as resounding as it should be. The same goes for Roddy Piper and Mick Foley. How often do you see these three guys when they're supposed to be done with wrestling? Now, while I did enjoy having Foley as a commentator, I don't throw that in here, because he had nothing to do with the in-ring stuff. Austin shows up once or twice (or thrice at times) a year and does the exact same thing he's done over and over again. If he didn't show up for 5 years at a time, it'd be something that could make an impact. Hell even 3 years at a time.

But if we had the ability to have some of the older people show up out of the blue that haven't been around as much as Austin, it'd have a bigger effect. If you had someone dress up as Doink the clown, it'd get a pop. If you had Goldust back at Cyber Sunday, it'd get a pop. Does Austin get one? Sure. But its so fleeting. And even with that, they usually tell you ahead of time that he'll show up, so there's no shock factor in it.

Austin basically was a one-trick pony, but the same goes for Hulk. They're just from two different eras. Neither one was too impressive in the ring but made a lot of money based on their characters. If Austin was healthy and returned to the ring, sure, he'd sell some merchandise and he'd get his cheers and probably be pushed to a title reign, but sooner than later, people would be wanting to see him just lose to people for the sake of putting them over because Austin's act has worn thin. Credit where credit is due - the act was awesome back in the day - but now that time has passed, its half-life is fading. In due time, it won't matter at all and it'll become the same as when people go on and on about Bruno Sammartino and Harley Race and everything while the average fan nowadays will look back and go "THAT is what they made such a big fuss over?"

yeah, it does get pretty boring. sure, his music pumps you up, but he does the same damn routine, and he comes back way too often. he's become stale.

hmm, sort of like...triple H?

Well, I guess the same can be said about many different top guys through the ages.

Hogan, Cena, Triple H, and Austin are all in that category. They don't have a ton of versatility, play the same game over and over, and come out on top anyway.

Austin was possibly THE guy in his time. Unfortunately, that time was cut shorter than it probably should have been, but it was fun while it lasted. He set the bar rather high for how to feud with someone and make it look good. Granted, come out, raise hell, stunner, beer, leave, got kinda dull sometimes, but some matches he had drew really well.

I wasn't the biggest Austin fan, but I have to respect the generation. He knew how to take the ball and run with it, and that he will be remembered for. He main evented Wrestlemania and was champion in times that the WWF was revered by many fans. He had some bumps along the way, and the invasion storyline hurt his character a bit, but he gave other guys a chance to be the top face. Unfortunatly, he was too over to be too sucessful at it.

I'll say that he was a one trick pony, definately. However, in a long list of one trick ponies, he is somewhere near the top.

Maybe he really isnt the man everyone thinks he is. Sure, he helped usher in the most overrated era known to mankind. The Attitude Era. But I got to thinking the other day.

Is he really that great?

Wow, just wow. You just said that he helped usher the.. let me fix it for you: most successful, profitable era known to mankind, and then you ask yourself if he really is that great? :confused:

I mean this by looking at all that he's done. Sure, he made alot of money and was the top draw.
Isn't this the definition of a successful sports entertainer?

But after you've seen one Stone Cold moment, you've seen them all. From the beer truck to the Zamboni. Him getting tossed off the bridge to him beating McMahon up in the hospital.
why am I seeing a lot of contradictions here? you are just naming a few of the most famous moments who helped the company to take full control of the "wrestling" industry. How about the 3:16 speech, Austin breaking into Brian Pillman's house, austin vs Brett hart at mania, Austin-Tyson confrontation, Austin as RAW GM... 'bottom line": How can you say that after watching just one Austin moments you've seen them all? that doesn't make sense IMO.

What im getting at. He's boring.
WHAT?

He has absolutely no replay value whatsoever. At least with me I dont ever want to see those moments again. Once was enough and now its an eysore to sit through.
Maybe that's the reason why ratings goes up when he makes an appearance...

Unlike Hulk Hogan. Who to this day I still watch old footage, and get goosebumps all the time, and NEVER get tired of. Or even The Rock, who still gets me feeling the electricity when he speaks.
:wtf:
Ok, there's an explanation for that: Memorable moments will always makes you feel like it were happening live and you were there. But when you still get appearances in live TV like Austin does, that kind of nostalgia won't appear easily. I can tell you this: the day Stone cold hang up the boots for good a-la Brett Hart, the day people will start feeling those goosebumps again.

Stone Cold Steve Austin was never the best. He never will be. He was only as good as his competition, which whom he had great competition to work with, HHH, The Rock, Kane, Undertaker, Vince, Mankind, Bret Hart, HBK.
So, if his competition was good, he was good too?
He might not be the best wrestler, that's Bert Hart. But he surely is the best entertainer, along with Hogan.

Unlike some of the others Like Hogan who always didnt have great competition but still looked great.
Ted DiBiase, Randy Savage, Ric Flair, The undertaker, Kevin Nash, Sting, even The Rock and HBK were competition for Hogan at some point. and IMO all were GREAT competition.

I hope you get where Im coming from. In my mind, Stone Cold is a One Trick Pony. He used the same gimmick throughout his entire run, and it does NOT stand the test of time.
I disagree. He passed the test of time with honors. See all of his accomplishments. Who else STILL gets enormous paydays without even wrestling? Movie contracts? Huge royalties?

I really feel what you said about Stone Cold you can say about a hundred entertainers, they get extremely boring. Stone Cold is scheduled for Cyber Sunday, and guess what he is going to do after the match? He is going to kick Chris Jericho in the groin, hit the stunner, have someone throw him a couple beers, pass one over to Batista, kick him in the groin, hit the stunner, and drink some beers. Guess who will love it? The fans. They love watching nostalgia, and Stone Cold is filled with it.

If Hogan came back, for the all elusive one last match (again), he is going to get beat up for a bit, come back, feel the fans, get filled with Hulkamania, shake his finger, give the big boot, and hit the leg drop. Who would not cheer for that? Hogan does make less appearances than Stone Cold, so I am sure that the fans would pop more for Hogan than Austin. Now imagine this... Bret Hart makes his come back, locks either Vince McMahon, or Shawn Michaels, or Triple H, or whomever in the Sharpshooter. That will garner the biggest pop heard in years.

This is all to prove my point. All wrestlers are repetitive. When we see them all the time, it is very noticeable. I think most fans can predict a wrestler they have seen for years. But to see Stone Cold is becoming a bore. That said, despite how repetitive it is, it is what the fans want to see.

It's a shame but if Stone Cold hadn't have hurt his neck, then who knows what he would have achieved.

He was a very good worker which was hidden in WWF because it didnt fit with the Stone Cold gimmick. But as Stunning Steve in the Hollywood Blondes, this guy could go and trade with Steamboat, Pillman etc. As such he only became a one trick pony, when he was in too much pain and too fragile to do much else.

The problem with Austin now is that in his role he doesn't really put any talent over, which is why we will likely see the double stunner to end the main event if he gets picked for Cyber Sunday.

This is the stupidest thread i have ever read.
Name me one wrestler who isnt a one trick pony.
Hogan was the worst of all. Every match of his was practically the same. start off strong..get beatdown..hulk up/comeback..legdrop..win.

And if that 'one trick' is popular, of course Vince is going to exploit it for all its worth.
Anyone who runs down Stone Cold must be jealous they cant do the stuff he did in their real-lives or somthing, or why would u bother?

Anytime a wrestler gets compared to a career like Hulk Hogans he is a great wrestler

Guys like Stone Cold.... come along once in a blue moon.... and when he gets compared to Hulk Hogan all the time it means that he did somthing great....

There is no doubt in my mind that he is great and did some great things in wrestling..... and some off his stuff is boring but the same can be said for hogan......

in the end the guy was great and IMO and will go down in history.... but he still isnt at the level that hogan will always B

The only thing I can bring myself to say in This Austin bash-fest making out that he was never good for the wwe is a quote that thousand chant on a regular basis...........WHAT?!

no one said he was never good for the wwe can't you read or something? what they're saying is that he's very much of his time, and the fact that he appears fairly frequently has just accelerated his process from legend to novelty act just above jim duggan but several steps below hogan or the rock.

I'm a little confused here. For those not fond of Austin are you saying he is boring now or when he was an active wrestler? If you're bored by him now I can understand that. That doesn't mean I agree, but I understand. He obviously can't wrestle anymore. What more can he do besides deliver some stunners and have a beer bash? It's not like he shows up every month. We see him maybe once or twice a year. I don't think that's too much. I still think it's fun anytime Austin shows up, but I can see why some people are tired of this.

I can't understand why anyone would call him boring during his time as an active wrestler. He was a great technical wrestler until the injury at SummerSlam 97. He redefined the roles of the heels and faces. He pumped up an audience more than anyone, including the Rock. You may not find much replay value in the beer truck, zamboni, cement truck, etc., but I bet you loved it at the time. He took a year off after surgery and came back as a technical wrestler again. He was having great matches with Angle, Regal, and Benoit. He would still use a stone cold brawl against Triple H and Rikishi. In 2001 he made changes to his character and became a hilarious heel. He made a catch phrase out of one simple word that is still shouted in arenas eight years later. He was a great heel, but was forced to turn face again because the fans couldn't help but love him. Wouldn't it be great to have someone in WWE now that could create the same kind of excitment Austin used to?

Most wrestlers get stale, they get boring. Unless you are a high flyer or a very well trained technical wrestler, you're gonna get boring as hell. Triple H, Undertaker, Shawn Michaels. They've all been around forever, while they are still top draws, while they still make money, they are boring. They can all carry anyone through a match. [Check Legacy vs DX or Undertaker vs Batista] But no matter how many times you see it, it's the same Sweet Chin Music, the same Tombstone, the same Pedigree. People talk about John Cena and how he does the same moves over and over. What about Triple H? What about HBK? Taker'? It's so repetitive it's not even funny. Stone Cold wasn't an amazing technical wrestler, he didn't do moonsaults, he didn't have the skill as many of the wrestlers these days do, but he was entertaining. You turned into RAW each week wondering what the hell the Rattlesnake was gonna do next, wondering how he could top off last week! He OWNED the WWF during the Attitude Era. Yeah, maybe to a few people a stunner gets boring, but the majority? The MAJORITY pop for it. every. single. time. PERIOD! Listen to the ovation he got at WM25 when the glass shattered and he rode down on the ATV. Listen to any recent appearance in the WWE, he still has the respect from the fans. They remember Stone Cold, they remember all the entertaining moments he brought them. There's alot of replay value in his shit, because it's flat out entertaining, no matter how many times you've watched it.

Suprised at the Austin bashers on here.

Along with The Rock, these two made the attitude era what it was. Austin was the first person to continually beat up his boss, who doesnt want to do that? Drinking beer, constant swearing, good in the ring and one of the best finishers in the business does not make someone boring. Austin was one of the top 3 WWF superstars in history, and that will never change IMO. Youtube clips of the attitude era from Austin, Foley, DX and The Rock are rated 5 stars all the time, because they were that good.

Whoever bashes Stone Cold Steve Austin needs their head examing.

"Stone Cold" Steve Austin is the kid who got an A in class by cheating off the nerd in front of/beside him. The "Stone Cold" character is a deliberate and blatant rip-off of Sandman. Were it not for his time spent in ECW (where Sandman was a staple) then there would never have been a "Stone Cold". Couple that with the fact that his biggest and most memorable feud was not with fellow WWF/E wrestlers, but with Vince McMahon (not a wrestler). Well, that's not saying anything positive about that character at all. As a matter of fact, that's a one trick pony that Steve Austin rode all the way to the WWE Hall Of Fame. It's not that Steve Austin wasn't capable of doing more than Eric Bischoff accused him of. In fact, he and Brian Pillman would have been a successful duo in the WWF as the revamped Hollywood Blondes. Though, that didn't happen. They were reinvented from the ground up, and in Austin's case at least, imitation was NOT the sincerest form of flattery. The Ringmaster gimmick (up there with the Max Moons, Aldo Montoyas and Dean Douglases) was more original, and should have been Austin's esprit de corps in the WWF if it wasn't simply, well, Steve Austin.

"Stone Cold" Steve Austin is the kid who got an A in class by cheating off the nerd in front of/beside him. The "Stone Cold" character is a deliberate and blatant rip-off of Sandman.

...You've got to be kidding me. How is Austin's character in any way a rip off of Sandman? Because they both drank beer? Well shit, stop the presses, we all know that Sandman was the first professional wrestler to ever drink a beer, right?

Their characters are nothing alike. Austin was the man who didn't give a fuck, would beat the hell out of the heel, and then the face, and then give the announcer a stunner for good measure, because he didn't care. Sandman was nothing like that.

Were it not for his time spent in ECW (where Sandman was a staple) then there would never have been a "Stone Cold".

Yeah, that's horseshit. The promos Austin cut in ECW were absolutely NOTHING like anything the Sandman was doing. Nothing. Was Sandman criticizing company leaders like Bischoff? No, he sure as hell was not.

Couple that with the fact that his biggest and most memorable feud was not with fellow WWF/E wrestlers, but with Vince McMahon (not a wrestler).

That's arguable, many people would argue that his feud with The Rock was his biggest feud. Possibly the biggest in WWE history.

Well, that's not saying anything positive about that character at all. As a matter of fact, that's a one trick pony that Steve Austin rode all the way to the WWE Hall Of Fame.

Yeah, because his entire career is based off of Vince McMahon. That's how he gained fame right? It definitely wasn't Bret Hart or the Hart Foundation, no siree. :rolleyes:

I'll anxiously be awaiting you explaining how Austin was a ripoff of The Sandman. This should be rich.

Is he really that great?

I mean this by looking at all that he's done. Sure, he made alot of money and was the top draw. But after you've seen one Stone Cold moment, you've seen them all. From the beer truck to the Zamboni. Him getting tossed off the bridge to him beating McMahon up in the hospital.

What im getting at. He's boring. He has absolutely no replay value whatsoever. At least with me I dont ever want to see those moments again. Once was enough and now its an eysore to sit through. Unlike Hulk Hogan. Who to this day I still watch old footage, and get goosebumps all the time, and NEVER get tired of. Or even The Rock, who still gets me feeling the electricity when he speaks.

Stone Cold Steve Austin was never the best. He never will be. He was only as good as his competition, which whom he had great competition to work with, HHH, The Rock, Kane, Undertaker, Vince, Mankind, Bret Hart, HBK. Unlike some of the others Like Hogan who always didnt have great competition but still looked great.

You say Austin was a 1 trick pony but Hogan wasn't? :confused: Brother! Dude! Flexes muscles does his usual pose. Bash At The Beach 96 and the heel turn was huge along with epic matches vs Savage/Warrior/Rock/Mcmahon. But really looking back Hogan had more better matches in his 2nd WWE run IMO at least, and his WCW run asides from the heel turn and the title loss to Goldberg...yeah well I can go forever without seeing any of it ever again. And if Austin wasn't sh*t like your basically saying then none of his classics with Rock/3H/Taker/Foley wouldn't of been classics because it takes 2 ya know. I respect your opinions and views but find them very ******ed. And I can say Randy Savage should of been given the spot Hogan got initially in the early-mid 80's. Savage was a by far better worker and superior on the mic as well had the look, but Hogan got chosen as poster boy. Im not knocking Hogan, he did ALOT for the business and all but if it wasn't gonna be Hogan it very well would of been Savage. And with Austin, Not even The Rock would of been able to replace him. It was The birth of Austin 3:16, his feud with Bret Hart and his straight up I dont GAF mentality that resurrected the WWE along with his feud with Mcmahon. Not DX, and not The Rock. And the fact Hogan vs austin didnt ever happen but yet Hogan puts over The Rock TWICE proves the ego and asshole Hogan truly is, lol he wouldn't even job for HBK. Hogan jobbed for Rocky because of Rocky being a movie star "like Hogan once was BROTHER" but he didnt for Austin because he felt more threatened and knew damn well Hogan NEVER did what Austin did for WWE in the short span of time and the amount of the effect of it. That's just my 2 cents, feel free to discuss more.

To refer to Monkey's original post in this thread...

How can you possibly criticize Stone Cold for doing the same thing for years, while you use a Sting avatar? Really now, that may just be the definition of irony my good friend. Sting has been doing the same thing for twice as long as Austin did. I really don't get this "one trick pony" shit you keep talking about, when Austin in fact went through numerous character changes in his career. From his great days in the Hollywood Blondes to his amazing run as Stone Cold, the biggest face since Hogan, to being able to successfully transition to a hated heel (much like Hogan), he's anything but a one trick pony.

If we're talking about the WWE's biggest stars and greatest professional wrestlers of all time, it's

1. Hulk Hogan
1A. Stone Cold Steve Austin

And there's a reason for that Monkey Thelonious my good friend.

I seem to agree with Monkey on this one. While Austin as great as he was, he did do the same thing over and over again. I will give him the fact that he did help pull WWF over WCW. I am not going to lie, I loved Austin back in the day, but. I always found The Rock to be better. It seemed that Rock fresh every night he came out. It was not Austin that revolutionized wrestling. I'm sorry, no one will convince me other wise. I don't think it was him and I never will think that. Austin was a benifit of the situation that was in wrestling at that time. It was his feud with The Rock and McMahon that made him the mega star that he was.

Don't get me wrong, he was great for his time, but if you would have had Steve Austin another two to three years as a permanent in ring performer. I would argue that he would have worn off. Like Monkey said, he did do the same thing over and over again. After awhile that would have gotten old to a lot of people. Look, it was DX that started the whole screwing authority in WWF. Look where they are now? They are a complete joke and many don't care about them. Austin would have been in the same boat in my opinion.

He he was a hit or miss to begin with in my estmation. He obiviously hit, thus why he bacame the star that he did. I don't look back now and think that he would have the staying power that Triple h, or Taker have, or even Cena. As each of them have had longer stays with WWE than Austin. He started making his move up the scene in 97, by 02 he was done. Yes, I know he had to because of his neck, but for what it worth. I didn't see him lasting any longer.

...You've got to be kidding me. How is Austin's character in any way a rip off of Sandman? Because they both drank beer? Well shit, stop the presses, we all know that Sandman was the first professional wrestler to ever drink a beer, right?

Was Sandman the first to drink a beer? Of course not. He was the first to use it in the same way that Austin would later. Which is to say, as a prop to bolster his character. It was more about image, and had little to nothing to do with any actual celebration, victory, or even drinking of the beer. The act became a characterization that was repeated over and over again to stress that point. It was Sandman's gimmick. It was stolen by Steve Austin for the "Stone Cold" persona and was a major part of it. Without the beer, Austin is just an out of shape version of Bill Goldberg.

Their characters are nothing alike. Austin was the man who didn't give a fuck, would beat the hell out of the heel, and then the face, and then give the announcer a stunner for good measure, because he didn't care. Sandman was nothing like that.

Just an extension of Sandman being a tweener is all that is and nothing more. That part of the gimmick is just as ripped as the actual beer was, but a bit more intangible, unless you're a "smart mark".

Yeah, that's horseshit. The promos Austin cut in ECW were absolutely NOTHING like anything the Sandman was doing. Nothing. Was Sandman criticizing company leaders like Bischoff? No, he sure as hell was not.

First, the entire spirit of ECW in those days was "us versus them". They would regularly post hotline numbers and dish the latest dirt on WCW and WWF. That was a large part of what made the company work, and why the fans watched ECW. Even Joey Styles would bash both companies on air in his commentating. The fact is, it was being done by everyone from managers to wrestlers, and especially the fans (the third wheel of the ECW shows).

That being said, when Steve Austin was fired from the WCW, he left angry and justifiably so. He cut some great promos, and let his creative juices flow freely in the ECW. Lucky for us, it was all caught on tape for posterity.

Don't get me wrong. I don't hate Steve Austin. I just think the "Stone Cold" gimmick was a cheap way for him to get over, and that it was at the expense of shortening and cheapening Jim Fullington's career. It's like the guy that Elvis Presley stole his act from. Who remembers that guy? Nobody. Yet, everybody knows who Elvis is. It's a credit to Fullington that he was able to break out even after Austin stole his gimmick. While Steve Austin gave himself a robust bank account and a permanent place in wrestling history, Jim Fullington barely hangs on as a mid carder and an accessory in minor promotions. His career at this point is most assuredly reached its end stages.

Were it not for Owen Hart and the botched piledriver, Steve Austin would still be wrestling. Is that justice? Maybe. I'm not going that far though. I correct mistakes that I see here with regards to Sandman because I love ECW.

That's arguable, many people would argue that his feud with The Rock was his biggest feud. Possibly the biggest in WWE history.

Everything was either against Vince McMahon directly, or it involved that dynamic somehow (The Corporation). Unfortunately, McMahon has never known when to quit while he was ahead or not beat an idea to a pulp. Which I've always felt was an insult to our intelligence as fans.

Was Sandman the first to drink a beer? Of course not. He was the first to use it in the same way that Austin would later. Which is to say, as a prop to bolster his character. It was more about image, and had little to nothing to do with any actual celebration, victory, or even drinking of the beer. The act became a characterization that was repeated over and over again to stress that point. It was Sandman's gimmick. It was stolen by Steve Austin for the "Stone Cold" persona and was a major part of it. Without the beer, Austin is just an out of shape version of Bill Goldberg.

Oh come on, an out of shape Goldberg? Are you serious? Austin is arguably the greatest brawler in pro wrestling history, along with the likes of the Funk brothers. Austin had charisma second to only Hogan, and he's easily the biggest factor into the success of the Attitude era.

Did Austin ever portray a pimp? Did he ever feign blindness? Austin's character is a completely different one from The Sandman's. Austin played a version of himself, just as Sandman did. Why is it surprising that two professional wrestlers would have similar personalities?

Just an extension of Sandman being a tweener is all that is and nothing more. That part of the gimmick is just as ripped as the actual beer was, but a bit more intangible, unless you're a "smart mark".

So what did Sandman invent the rebellious tweener gimmick? I think not. Do you actually think Austin studied the fucking Sandman's tapes and said "Yeah, I'll rip that guy off!", not at all. Look at the legal troubles of Austin, the Stone Cold character is clearly an extension of his actual personality.

First, the entire spirit of ECW in those days was "us versus them". They would regularly post hotline numbers and dish the latest dirt on WCW and WWF.

I know ECW would. But The Sandman did not.

Don't get me wrong. I don't hate Steve Austin. I just think the "Stone Cold" gimmick was a cheap way for him to get over, and that it was at the expense of shortening and cheapening Jim Fullington's career. It's like the guy that Elvis Presley stole his act from. Who remembers that guy? Nobody. Yet, everybody knows who Elvis is. It's a credit to Fullington that he was able to break out even after Austin stole his gimmick. While Steve Austin gave himself a robust bank account and a permanent place in wrestling history, Jim Fullington barely hangs on as a mid carder and an accessory in minor promotions. His career at this point is most assuredly reached its end stages.

Again, do you actually believe that Steve Austin sat down, studied The Sandman, and stole his gimmick? I really, really doubt that.

Were it not for Owen Hart and the botched piledriver, Steve Austin would still be wrestling. Is that justice? Maybe. I'm not going that far though. I correct mistakes that I see here with regards to Sandman because I love ECW.

That's a bit extreme, don't you think? A broken neck for stealing a damn wrestling gimmick? You're taking things a bit too seriously here.

Everything was either against Vince McMahon directly, or it involved that dynamic somehow (The Corporation). Unfortunately, McMahon has never known when to quit while he was ahead or not beat an idea to a pulp. Which I've always felt was an insult to our intelligence as fans.

Not true. Austin was getting massive reactions before the McMahon feud ever started. Austin had a great heel run as well with the Invasion I thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back