• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Stocks and investing

Ty Burna

Getting Noticed By Management
This is mostly pointed to KB and FTS since they seem to know quite a bit on the subject. Anyone else I'm welcome to suggestions.

KB, FTS, as of April 1st I'm going to start paying into my Retirement and Security program. I pay 3% my company pays 8.5%. Any suggestions for stock to look at buying into right now? From what I can see it is a buyers market and ironically since the economy has gone down hill, I'm starting to make a good amount of money, so I'm in the buying mode for everything, I got a car, I get my R&S program April 1st, and I"m looking for a house while everyone is struggling.

Anyways back on point, what would be a good investment on my end, mostly for my 401k and what not?

eww, investing. I couldn't even help you out on that with everything plummeting and all. But an adviser told me I should focus on the once large businesses who are struggling but wont go out of business. Once everything gets good there business should increase.

Basically it is taking a business where you get like 38 cents a share. When at one point it was worth a lot more. But I don't even think it is worth the risk.. Especially if you buy a lot of shares in a business.

You probably have a better chance at hitting the powerball. :lmao:

invest in property in towns that have been hit by the loses of the raw material that is mined in the town being hit by low prices.

A copper town has its mine closed down, because copper is worthless. the houses plummet, then you but that property, because we all know the property value will go up.

Or invest in Vancouver housing, as prices will go up after the olympics for a few years. Not sure about London, and their olympics.

Home prices have probably hit rock bottom, so buying a rental or two might be a good idea. People continue to get foreclosed on, and they will need somewhere to live. Single family dwellings and duplexes look solid. There was an auction recently, in Detroit, in which foreign investors were buying rental properties for as little as one fucking dollar. When the housing market stops slumping, sell immediately. It will not be the high point, but when bubbles burst, values fall quickly.

I agree with Shadow, that tangible goods are a better buy right now. The commodities market looks solid. Do not buy gold. It has triples in price in three years, and that is probably going to be the next bubble to burst. The value is so hard to determine because less and less contries are making it the standard for currency. It used to be that a dollar was worth a set amount of gold. Now currency is backed by consumer confidence in the US and the Euro, which are the biggest currencies in the west. China's economy is moving the same way. Investing in the Yuan is a good idea as well. China has been undervaluing their currency, which has helped them build a giant trade surplus. They should properly value the currency soon. If you convert a shitload of US dollars now to Yuan, soon, it will be worth quite a bit more than it is now. Some experts believe that three to four times seems ball park within three years. A thousand dollar investment now will be worth $4,000 in five years. This is a bigger gain than most stocks can provide, and is as sure of a thing as investments can be.

If you are going into stocks, liquor, cigarettes, junk food, and Wal-Mart are recession proof. They would be the most likely to make modest gains in the short term while we work out of this recession. Watch the consumer confidence number and the economic growth rate. You want to look at the GDP over the GNP, as the GDP will show how much is being spent here in America, and it will rise first. The GNP follows the GDP. When these numbers start to rise, likely within 12-18 months, identify the emerging industry. I would look at companies that provide green energy. I think for the most part these companies are a sham and the technology needs to catch up to the demand. But, people will invest in them, raising the price, just to satiate their own conscience.

At this point, you will need to identify the next emerging industry. Investing this way is tricky. What seems like a good idea is not always priced to sell, and after the initial promise of the idea wears off, the financials become more and more important. Look at the internet bubble. Prices shot through the roof until investors expected a return and got none. Invest in companies that offer dividends. Thee companies have shown the ability ot earn, and will likely avoid the valleys in turbulent times.

Finally, once the economy is settles, look into companies that did not take TARP funds. These companies have shown the ability to survive, and will likely draw investors. Get in early, and let those late to the party raise the sell price for you.

It's just numbers on a screen, man.

That's the way I see it, its just like gambling in online poker to me. Whereas when I'm actually playing at a table I can see physically what I have. This is why I'm asking for anyone's advice on the topic because when it comes to money I have pretty much a basic formula. I have x I need to spend Y after I get paid Z I now have B. Stocks are a bit different and up to this point I have never even dabbled in it at all. And I'm not even sure how my R&S program works but I think it involves investing in either stock or bonds. Because of that I don't think I can invest in land. So I have no idea which way to go.

Thanks for the advice FTS, see and I'm really not worried about losses, I know how the market is right now so investing is not going to hurt me. I pay in a total of 3% of what I can work with, while my company pays 8.5%. So to me, playing the markets and what not is basically playing with company money that they gave me. I got at least 30-40 years before I even think of retirement so I have plenty of time to make the correct decisions. What I am most worried about is building the foundation now for later gains. I'm looking at making investments that the price isn't too high for, but will remain stable. That is basically the foundation while I use the other parts of my funds on the higher risk/reward aspect. So in the end if the higher risk/reward doesn't pan out, I still have my foundation to fall back on.

Like I said I'm not exactly familiar with how to spot good stock or bad stock etc. I could tell you when a stock will fall or rise based on news for that company but that's pretty much a given. So if my strategy is way off base, please tell me.

Looking at things like price to earnings ratio helps determine the future value of a stock. Economic trends are another indicator.

But my original stock adivse will work best right now.

Cigarettes, alcohol, junk food, Wal-Mart. These stocks are recession proof, and will actually rise during hardship times. people fall back on vices.

Companies that make ammo are great right now as people are stock piling ammo based on the fear that Obama will outlaw guns. This is a short term investment that could show great growth.

Watch the news. See what they say about government regulation, and stay away from those industries and companies. Manufacturing is a bad bet right now because Obama wants to institute carbon emission taxes. Companies that emit more gas into the atmosphere get taxed more....

Dude, just put your money in a mutual fund. Or, look at American and Western European companies with significant stakes in China. Of course, the safest way to invest your money is just to put it in T-Notes (Treasury Notes), but they don't have a very good return.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back