• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sting vs Taker

Mr. Artistic guy

Better Off This Way
I'm going to keep this simple and leave it to a few sub-categories to divide your answers into. We can all agree this is indeed a dream match but I just want to know about:

1) The possibilty of this match still occuring. Say next year for example at WM. It would stop all those saying they wanted to see cena vs undertaker because the billing for this would be equally as big maybe bigger and it would be a better match.

2) How good the match is likely to be. Both men are on the verge of the ends of their careers and we all know taker can barely walk now but can somehow still wrestle adequately despite this and sting as I've said is possibly the best wrestler over 50 i have seen and a true wrestling Icon.

3) The significance of this match now. In terms of how anticipated this match would be and what would be to gain for winning or losing. (naturally taker would win but even still)

4) The significance and magnitude of this match had it occured say 10 years ago with relation to how people look back upon matches. For example when people say bret v HBK, stone cold v rock, would we also have said taker v sting.

Go ahead, give it your best shot. I may try some more of these depending on the response.

I'm going to keep this simple and leave it to a few sub-categories to divide your answers into. We can all agree this is indeed a dream match but I just want to know about:

1) The possibilty of this match still occuring. Say next year for example at WM. It would stop all those saying they wanted to see cena vs undertaker because the billing for this would be equally as big maybe bigger and it would be a better match.

2) How good the match is likely to be. Both men are on the verge of the ends of their careers and we all know taker can barely walk now but can somehow still wrestle adequately despite this and sting as I've said is possibly the best wrestler over 50 i have seen and a true wrestling Icon.

3) The significance of this match now. In terms of how anticipated this match would be and what would be to gain for winning or losing. (naturally taker would win but even still)

4) The significance and magnitude of this match had it occured say 10 years ago with relation to how people look back upon matches. For example when people say bret v HBK, stone cold v rock, would we also have said taker v sting.

Go ahead, give it your best shot. I may try some more of these depending on the response.

First of all, I don't agree with the statement that this would be a dream match. I think it would have been a dream match about a decade ago, but with all due respect to both guys, they are well past their primes and really don't have dream match potential anymore. Not to say that it wouldn't get the IWC and the wrestling fans buzzing, because I am quite sure that it would. But this match should have happened years ago if it were destined to happen, and because it didn't, I for one hope it doesn't.

The possibility of this match occurring is about 0.01%. Not 0% because I guess that nothing is impossible, but it's pretty close to it. For one thing, Sting is going to end up intertwined in the "they" angle for the forseeable future. He'll take a brief hiatus from TNA, as we saw last week, but he'll be back front and centre to oppose the Immortals. And if he's on the TNA roster, he'll obviously be nowhere near a WWE ring.

Who would emerge victorious in this match? Do you think the Undertaker would be OK ending the streak at the hands of a guy who has spent his entire career opposing the WWE, a guy who was a pivotal component in the company that tried and nearly succeeded to put WWF out of business? Do you think that Sting would thumb his nose at the WWE for his entire career, just to finally jump ship in a very high profile match, only to lose? Would a match of this nature be able to end in a draw or a non-decision? No, no, and no. Logistically, this match cannot and will not happen.

2) How good the match is likely to be. Both men are on the verge of the ends of their careers and we all know taker can barely walk now but can somehow still wrestle adequately despite this and sting as I've said is possibly the best wrestler over 50 i have seen and a true wrestling Icon

I think you answered your own question. Both men are shadows of their former selves physically. I don't think that either guy is in the physical condition to have a match of this magnitude and have it live up to the hype and hooplah it would receive. A decade ago, awesome. Today? Not so much.

This match would no doubt be highly anticipated. Sting losing would achieve nothing for him, and would just fuel the notion that he had success outside of the WWE, but couldn't cut it in the WWE. This is not necessarily my sentiment, but this would be the sentiment amongst the IWC if this happened. A Sting victory would gain him a "feather in his cap" for ending the streak, but at this stage of his career, does he really need this? Plus there would probably be some backlash from it as well, as a lot of people (myself included) would probably be pissed off to see Taker's streak ended by a non-WWE guy. Undertaker losing would achieve nothing obviously, and his winning would just be another notch in his belt. This match does nothing to benefit either guy except for the financial component of it, and I would imagine that both of these guys are already set for life and as such this would not be an issue for either of them.

Had this match happened years ago, it would have truly been epic. When WCW folded, had Sting jumped to WWE shortly thereafter, when both guys were still at their primes, this could have had potential to be one of the best matches of all time. But this potential is no longer there. Now it would just be a trip down memory lane, and TNA has the market cornered on nostalgia these days, not WWE.

1) Both are pretty banged up and past their prime, both are considering retiring. I dont see Sting caving in to WWE just to lose to Taker whether it be Wrestlemania or another PPV, he will lose simply because Vince wants to bury anything WCW related. Just watch the video on Youtube where Sting talks about why he chose not to go with WWE because they had The Rock bury Booker T in their first confrontation. The dream match will always stay a dream, I'm certain of it.

2) To be honest, Taker could still go, I mean he wrestled a good match with HBK at the last 2 WM's and was banged up during those two matches but I havent seen Sting in a good match since god knows when. Nothing spectacular would happen in the match but nothing did in Rock vs. Hulk Hogan either. Just the hype around it made it so damn iconic, I think it would be the same here.

3) Nothing would be gained. Even Sting ending the streak would gain nothing for him because he's already established. It would make a young star though.

4) Same answer as the guy above me.

1) The possibilty of this match still occuring

I highly doubt it. Considering the fact that Undertaker's career seems to be running towards the end in the coming 1-2 years time. As well as the fact that Sting still seems loyal to TNA, or hasn't shown any signs whatsoever that he wants to go to WWE.

So I doubt we'll ever be seeing this match.

2) How good the match is likely to be

It's most likely gonna be shit to be quite honest. While both of them most likely still can go, I doubt that it will be anywhere near the match that people want it to be. They're older and their bodies have experienced a lot in the business. Now, had we caught these guys 5 or 10 years ago, the match would most likely have been great, because they wouldn't be nearing their respectable careers.

3) The significance of this match now.

There's hardly any significance. Sting doesn't seem to truly live in the scare-crow / Phenom like moniker that he used to showcase back in WCW where people started to get a hard-on for this match-up.

I don't even believe that the match ever had any significance. To me it was always just a match, it was two people who's gimmicks resembled each other, but it was hardly something that made me want to directly watch it and mark out for it like no other.

Undertaker and Sting have faced many great wrestlers, but there's lists of people neither one of them have faced, and some of those are definitely matches I would prioritize over Undertaker vs Sting.

4) The significance and magnitude of this match had it occured say 10 years ago with relation to how people look back upon matches.

It might have been a bit more significant, because of the fact that they resembled each other much more back then. However, I still doubt that the significance would've mattered back then. Especially considering the amount of active wrestlers that neither one of them had faced even back then. Kurt Angle vs Sting had never happened back then, Undertaker vs the newer Hulk Hogan hadn't happened etc. As well as Sting vs Shawn Michaels which still hasn't happened, but was possible 10 (Or more correctly 8 years ago)

Overall I doubt this match-up would've been anything directly special. Or well sure some might have been all excited for it. But I doubt that it would've lived up to the insane hype that it would be getting, and it would ultimately result in a disappointment I'm sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back