• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sting vs Hogan.... Not So Bad After All?

this match will be horrible. Any match with Hogan will be horrible. It will be 100 times worse than flair vs. sting, which in itself would be sad. Hogan and Flair see Sting putting on good matches and their egos tell them they can still do it, but they cant, they couldn't do it five years ago and they cant do it now. Having Hogan or Flair headline a ppv is just a slap in the face to all the TNA talent, but then again bishoff is a horrible guy to run a wrestling company and its sad that dixie is allowing this to happen

The main problem is not Hogan vs Sting for this ppv. The problem is Hogan, Sting, Steiner, Bubba Ray, Devon, Flair, Nasty Boys, Bischoff, Chyna, Hall, Waltman, Nash, Kendrick, Tara, etc. They keep or kept trying to use guys that lost the Monday Night Wars or are WWE rejects.

Not really mate. Why is Hogan a problem? He's helped TNA immensely, when they start filming on the road (which is happening), Hogan mission would've been well and truely complete and he deserves a lot of thanks for that. Sting is the Icon and has been one of the best characters on iMPACT! It'd be a crime if he wasn't used. Steiner is fair enough. If he's not cutting promos he's not that much fun. Bully Ray is the best heel in wrestling. Please tell me why that's bad? Devon has actually been doing well lately and deserves a shot at being a singles wrestler. You look up Wrestling God in the dictionary, you know who's picture is there? Ric Flairs. The Nasty Boys were there for what, a month? Check out the production of TNA's shows prior to Eric Bischoffs arrival and you'll see he's been a God send. Did Chyna not just show up for like 2 shows so the fans could see her again? Hall, Nash and Waltman were brought back for nostalgia purposes and it worked fucking wonders on me. And I'm sure I weren't the only one. TNA knew a large chunk of fans wanted to see that, so they gave it to us. I'm assuming Kendrick and Tara are the ones you were referring to as "WWE rejects"? Tara a reject? I want what you're smoking. She's probably the best female wrestler around. As for Kendrick wasn't he just someone who fell out with management?

I love Hogan, probably more than most people. If they were the only two old guys wrestling on the card then it would be okay. But we have had these guys shoved down our throat for 2 years now. No one cares about any of these guys. I actually like most of them, but to the average or casual fan that will bring bigger ratings, Sting pretending to be the joker is an instant channel changer.

Well if you care about them what on earth makes you think nobody else does? Read some of the replies and you can see there's plenty of people, like you, who care about these legends.

No one will tune in for this. If this had been the only storyline involving characters from 10-15 years ago over the past year it would be good, but its not. TNA is unwatchable because its a bad Nitro. I was a WCW fan, but I don't want to see these guys again with the same angles/gimmics that they used 10-15 years ago.

You just said people will change the channel with Sting "pretending to be the joker" and now say they're using the same gimmicks as in WCW. And some guys are just too big (Hulk Hogan) to even contemplate changing. Why change what people know? Why bring in a big star and then give him a new gimmick anyway?

WWE cut these guys years ago or never used them for a reason. I can think of many names that TNA & WCW failed to get over who soared in the WWE, can anyone think of more than 1 or 2 guys WWE missed and became major stars elsewhere?

It hard to say really because if you're not in WWE, you're not a major star. But off the top of my head I can think of a few they've let go who have huge potential, shall we say. AJ Styles, Mr Anderson, Matt Morgan and Pope for example.

They need to use these guys to put over the new guys & hopefully find a diamond in the ruff, because even though I like some of the new talent TNA does not have a can't miss character or angle.

That's opinion though isn't it. Just like IMO WWE doesn't have a can't miss character or angle. As I've missed it if they have so it couldn't have been can't miss. But there's a few characters in TNA that I personally can't miss because I want to see their potential rises (Gunner, Matt Morgan and James Storm). I couldn't miss the Jarrett/Angle feud. I can't miss the return of Ric Flair so I make sure I tune in every week for that. It's all opinion whether something is can't miss. At the end of the day TNAs rating are steady as are WWEs. No ones are going up so it's the same people tuning in every week regardless of what happens.

Now on to the actual topic at hand. I didn't think this match was ever a bad idea. How could it be? People will pay to see this. Hell I would pay for it if we could get live PPV over here. With BFG not being in the iMPACT Zone (Yay) the atmosphere for this match, if it happens, should be electric. Fans will get emotionally invested in this match and will really want either Hogan or Sting to win. And that's what wrestling is all about. Making the fans care about who's in the ring. And no matter how some fans may take pleasure in discrediting these guys, theres a 1000 fans that love them for that every 1 that disrespects them.

I don't know how big the arena in Philly is but if TNA are planning on having Kurt Angle as World Champion, Hulk Hogan vs. Sting and Rob Van Dam vs. Jerry Lynn, I sure as hell hope they've aimed high with the amount of seats available. If TNA advertising really get behind Hogan vs. Sting, BFG11 could be their best money maker to date.

I know it's not going to be a wrestling clinic. But fans don't care about the 'match quality' in a contest like this. It's a shame that if it does happen it's almost impossible that we'll see a Hogan Leg Drop. But just those two staring down at eachother, in the centre of the ring, is the closest I'm going to get to having goosebumps while watching wrestling nowadays.

Big names going at it one final time! Sounds epic, right? Wrong! The match would be horrendously sloppy seeing as Hogan wouldn't be able to take that many bumps and Sting would have to carry the ENTIRE match.

Look were forgetting 1 thing, after the staredown there is nothing but huge disappointment will follow. HOGAN CANT MOVE !!!!! He cant take any real bumps, theres nothing about this match that is believable in anyway.

I cant even say it would draw, who would buy into Hogan being able to put on a good show at his age ? Its not even nostalgic because Sting is the "freaking" joker for crying out loud.

How does this draw money ? Its over !!! Hogan cant go, there is nothing entertaining about him anymore. Id rather watch Angle vs anybody then watch this, you guys are setting yourself up for disappointment if you think they can put on even a decent match......

The only concern I had about this match was that it will be for tna world title. But now, when the title is out of the picture I can enjoy sting vs hogan. Off course it will be slow etc, but its power may be similar to that of hogan vs rock - the crowd will react and enjoy it.

In truth, WCW actually had amazing young talent on the lower and mid card, but the image of a hipless piper and an aging Hogan stinking up Halloween Havoc was too much to overlook.

You can't be serious. This is not overlooking anything else on the card. It's a match for nostalgic purposes. Why is this match a problem but okay for Bret Hart to face Vince McMahon at Wrestlemania?
TNA, a company that should be farming new stars not serving as a playground for wrestlers of such advanced age as Hogan and Sting should be thinking about the long term interest of their brand.
I know you don't even watch the damn show. If you did, you would know Crimson, Gunner, Robert Roode, Austin Aries have all been invested as the long term superstars for the company.
If TNA thinks this is the best image moving forward for their company, then by all means... keep booking matches like this. But they shouldn't get mad if people stop giving them second, third and fourth chances. TNA can settle for being the company where the old and out of touch induldge themselves until their heart stops. Literally.
It's ONE match. Sting, Angle and Hogan won't be around after Bound For Glory.

Your acting like this is something TNA is doing weekly. I know you don't even watch the damn show.

The time limit would have to be 10 minutes for either of these guys to reach it. Seriously though, I guess maybe somebody somewhere might still have some interest in these two working together again, but for me this comes off like a bad indy show main event with two waaaay past their prime wrestlers playing off the nostalgia of people who have long since moved on. I am not stuck in 1997, and those matches were awful back then so I can't imagine any way this contest could be good.

The OP made a great point about their being no TNA originals worthy of having the "torch" passed to them. Sting shouldn't put any of these clowns over, not because they aren't talented, but because none of them are on the verge of becoming stars in this business. This is why Sting should have went to the WWE so people could look at the star of the future when he's headlining his 5th Wrestlemania and say "Sting helped make that guy". He was so obsessed with being the one guy who never went to the WWE that he cheated himself out of an important part of his legacy. Sting will be like that old lady who never married or had children. Sure she had a lot of fun, but in the end her life was meaningless. No offense to old single ladies.

Well just finished watching Impact and for the most part was happy with it. However, I did have a couple of issues.

1. The EY storyline is REALLY getting old now. Are they ever going to treat the tv title with any respect?

2. The Angle/Hogan v. youth movement, v Sting thing is really convoluted. Let me see if I understand. Angle wants his integrity back. He thinks the way to do this is to injure all the young wrestlers (while he's champ) because he blames Sting for being a friend of Dixie Carter, who knew about Karen cheating on him and therefore he feels the young guys and Sting need to be punished for that. Yeah!.......whatever!!! More ridiculous storylines written just so they can get Sting v. Hogan. Holy moly!!!

1. The EY storyline is REALLY getting old now. Are they ever going to treat the tv title with any respect?
There was a little bit of respect shown. I mean, he tried to barter the old World Title for the map, not the TV Belt. So ... yay ... prestige ... honor and ... aw forget it.

2. The Angle/Hogan v. youth movement, v Sting thing is really convoluted. Let me see if I understand. Angle wants his integrity back. He thinks the way to do this is to injure all the young wrestlers (while he's champ) because he blames Sting for being a friend of Dixie Carter, who knew about Karen cheating on him and therefore he feels the young guys and Sting need to be punished for that. Yeah!.......whatever!!! More ridiculous storylines written just so they can get Sting v. Hogan. Holy moly!!!

Uuuuuh ... hold on, let me give it a shot.

1. Kurt is all cranky because Dixie knew about the Double J-Karen thing all along and she didn't tell him.
2. For that he wants to take out the things Dixie holds dear. The young guys and Sting's jock.
3. The integrity thing is just a heel thing to say. Like Punk saying he's doing the right thing during his heel run when he was walking around with a hobo beard.

That just about covers it, right? It's not as complicated as it seems. But I read the spoilers for next week and ... KAREN IS PREGNANT AND DOUBLE J IS NOT THE FATHER!

[youtube]kdhhQhqi_AE[/youtube]​

You know a lot of us hate Hogan for his horrible TNA booking but that's great when he goes all out Evil like he did on Sting, because it's his real personality that comes forth. It makes sense, you know? "I'm running this company into the ground might as well do that on screen too!"

You know a lot of us hate Hogan for his horrible TNA booking but that's great when he goes all out Evil like he did on Sting, because it's his real personality that comes forth. It makes sense, you know? "I'm running this company into the ground might as well do that on screen too!"
Right. Going on the road more than previous years, signing sponsor deals left and right, even having the fucking scum sheets report that TNA is turning a profit, the overall viewership being better than ever thus far (not ratings, viewers), attracting and signing some of the best talent out there ... yeah, TNA is in the shitter. I thought they were going to die soon. Or is it in the next three months? Got it, got it.

Oh, and you forgot "brother" in that quote. For shame!

I know you don't even watch the damn show. If you did, you would know Crimson, Gunner, Robert Roode, Austin Aries have all been invested as the long term superstars for the company.
Austin Aries has been there all of one month and you're trying to tell people he's been invested in as a long-term superstar? I suppose Robbie E. was being invested in as a 'long-term superstar' based on the initial push and heat he got?

Look, I'll give you Bobby Roode. He's money. It's also pretty clear that they have high hopes for Crimson, but are measuring him carefully instead of giving him the 'push to the moon' which so often ends like Apollo 1. Gunner? You can't count on the IWC for specific opinions, but if no one's talking about a performer, it's pretty easy to tell there isn't much interest in it, and you just don't see many people who seem to care what Gunner's doing. He pinned Sting when he was WHC? Vladimir Koslov pinned HHH while he was WHC. Is your idea of 'long-term' next April? Being pushed does not equate to a long-term investment, it's called "finding what works". Gunner ain't the future, unless the future is steadily decreasing ratings while a guy who can't interview convinces people that there are better things to watch on Thursday nights.
Zeven_Zion said:
Right. Going on the road more than previous years, signing sponsor deals left and right, even having the fucking scum sheets report that TNA is turning a profit, the overall viewership being better than ever thus far (not ratings, viewers), attracting and signing some of the best talent out there ... yeah, TNA is in the shitter. I thought they were going to die soon. Or is it in the next three months? Got it, got it.
First- what do you mean by "overall viewership", and saying viewers, not ratings? Ratings are a measure of how many viewers you have. Are you implying that the people watching TNA/IW now are better than people who were watching TNA in 2009? The implications here are very unclear.

Second- TNA/IW 'turning a profit' was a massively politicized statement which is more notable by what wasn't said as opposed to what was.

a) 'A profit' could consist of anywhere from $1 on up, but just because a company has more revenue than expenses does not mean they are successful. (That would be a P/E of 5% or more, generally accepted as the point at which a business becomes a worthwhile investment over other investments.)
b) When Jeff Jarrett said 'we became profitable a few years ago', he said nothing about the current state of TNA at the time, which was 2010. Companies become profitable, then unprofitable, all the time.
c) There are virtually limitless accounting methods that can be used to determine a profit or loss. 'Titanic', at one point the top grossing movie of all time, is officially considered a 'loss', even though everyone who made that movie got rich. (Hollywood secret- virtually every movie made becomes a 'loss' on paper, no matter how much money it makes. That's why an agent will get you a percentage of the gross, because a percentage of the net is always zero.) On the same token, we don't know what forms of accounting TNA/IW used to determine 'profit', whenever they were claiming it. TNA/IW could have outstanding loans due in a few years which are counted against those years. They could be counting injection funds from Panda Energy as a gift. There's way, way, way too much ground left open from a simple "oh yeah, we were profitable a few years ago" to be able to definitively close the case on TNA/IW's fiscal health, unless you're just looking for a simple, not necessarily correct answer so it no longer has to be discussed.

Austin Aries has been there all of one month and you're trying to tell people he's been invested in as a long-term superstar? I suppose Robbie E. was being invested in as a 'long-term superstar' based on the initial push and heat he got?

Look, I'll give you Bobby Roode. He's money. It's also pretty clear that they have high hopes for Crimson, but are measuring him carefully instead of giving him the 'push to the moon' which so often ends like Apollo 1. Gunner? You can't count on the IWC for specific opinions, but if no one's talking about a performer, it's pretty easy to tell there isn't much interest in it, and you just don't see many people who seem to care what Gunner's doing. He pinned Sting when he was WHC? Vladimir Koslov pinned HHH while he was WHC. Is your idea of 'long-term' next April? Being pushed does not equate to a long-term investment, it's called "finding what works". Gunner ain't the future, unless the future is steadily decreasing ratings while a guy who can't interview convinces people that there are better things to watch on Thursday nights.

First- what do you mean by "overall viewership", and saying viewers, not ratings? Ratings are a measure of how many viewers you have. Are you implying that the people watching TNA/IW now are better than people who were watching TNA in 2009? The implications here are very unclear.

Second- TNA/IW 'turning a profit' was a massively politicized statement which is more notable by what wasn't said as opposed to what was.

a) 'A profit' could consist of anywhere from $1 on up, but just because a company has more revenue than expenses does not mean they are successful. (That would be a P/E of 5% or more, generally accepted as the point at which a business becomes a worthwhile investment over other investments.)
b) When Jeff Jarrett said 'we became profitable a few years ago', he said nothing about the current state of TNA at the time, which was 2010. Companies become profitable, then unprofitable, all the time.
c) There are virtually limitless accounting methods that can be used to determine a profit or loss. 'Titanic', at one point the top grossing movie of all time, is officially considered a 'loss', even though everyone who made that movie got rich. (Hollywood secret- virtually every movie made becomes a 'loss' on paper, no matter how much money it makes. That's why an agent will get you a percentage of the gross, because a percentage of the net is always zero.) On the same token, we don't know what forms of accounting TNA/IW used to determine 'profit', whenever they were claiming it. TNA/IW could have outstanding loans due in a few years which are counted against those years. They could be counting injection funds from Panda Energy as a gift. There's way, way, way too much ground left open from a simple "oh yeah, we were profitable a few years ago" to be able to definitively close the case on TNA/IW's fiscal health, unless you're just looking for a simple, not necessarily correct answer so it no longer has to be discussed.
I'm talking overall viewers for a single show which is normally in the 1.7 million range. Ratings doesn't measure that but instead how many people watched a certain QH and then the whole thing is calculated. I'll give you an example. Sometimes IW could get a 1.2 rating with 1.5 million viewers. Other times it could get a 1.15 or a 1.1 with 1.6 million viewers. That's what I mean by viewership. It is up mainly because looking at the QH's a lot of times TNA would go over the 1.3 mark and sometimes 1.4 (but that's like a couple of times so meh), mostly in Immortal/Sting/KO's segments.

So what that means is that more people are watching the show, it's just that they're not watching it from start to finish to give it a rating that would reflect that (and it's TNA's fault for not keeping them around). That's why you got some shitty QH's and some great ones.

I'll give you another example with the WWE. I know I was knocking Punk for not drawing and stuff, I was just trolling, but a recent Punk segment drew a 3.4. The rating for the show, however, was a 3.1 or a 3.2. Didn't reflect that at all. More people watched that show than usual. Again, just like TNA, it's WWE's fault for not giving this 3.4 or a 1.4 a reason to watch the rest of the show. But it is an improvement and I'll take that over nothing or worse. Wouldn't you?

As far as the profit thing I'm not saying they are or aren't. My uneducated guess is that they are. I'm just trying to point out to New Hot Fed that TNA is not in the shitter and a lot of things point to them turning a profit of some kind. Doubt it's something huge. If it were they wouldn't be performing infront of 1.350 people, most of which came in there to cool off, 'know what I mean?

I just think that with the Kurt Angle turn that it's all jumbled as to why he actually turned. It just doesn't hold water when he extends his anger to Sting, thru Dixie and then onto the young guys. If it's Dixie you want to take out, simply work with Hogan to continue controlling the company. It might have made a bit more sense if Angle had said he was joining the crusade to rid TNA of the X division since that was something Hogan said he wanted to do. Or maybe if Angle had said he was now the enforcer for Hogan and his first order of business was to take out Sting. I get that they're trying to set up Hogan v. Sting at BFG, but if Hogan, as is rumored, will turn face, how does that happen so quickly and based on what premise? If it's to be Sting's last match, what is the end? Does Hogan put him over, or does Sting go out getting beaten to a pulp and taken out for good? If so, what does that do for TNA as an overall product when they write off their biggest face by destroying him in a ppv and essentially retiring him?

Sting vs. Hulk Hogan? In 2011?

The same Hogan who admited he can't do his finisher anymore, the same guy who has hade more surgeries that I can count? Are you fuckin' kidding me? And for some strange, obnoxious reason Flair think's people want to see Hogan wrestle? Other than a few brainless TNA marks who will praise anything TNA does, I can't see anybody want to see Hogan back in the ring. The guy is held by duct tape and staples now, it won't be good for anybody involved, even TNA themselves, if they have either Sting vs. Hogan, or Ric fuckin' Flair vs. Hulk Hogan. Who is this fuckin' storyline putting over? Well, not anybody under 50. I'm telling you this much, the Philly crowd will definately not take to this bullshit likely.

I don't get it anymore, I don't. I tried to actually enjoy TNA before, I tried to enjoy it, but having a fuckin' 61 year old guy saying he wants to fight a 50 year old guy, so the 50 year old can face the 58 year old who admitted that he can't even do his finisher anymore. It's way to much, especially in today's day and age when neither of those three are the wrestler, or the draw they were in the 80's and 90's. It's like watching a retired baseball player, who's in his 50's, trying to come back for one last run. The fans of his team like him, but everybody else keeps admitting that he sucks and his time is up. Can we just stop with these old guy's that want "one last match." "One last match" for Hogan may be the last time he ever walks.

Wow. I haven't watched any stateside wrestling from either company in four years and this is still a proposed angle? Man, I picked a great time to bail out. I would've been intrigued by a match between these two...in 1990 when it would've been worth pissing on.

Sting vs. Hulk Hogan? In 2011?

The same Hogan who admited he can't do his finisher anymore, the same guy who has hade more surgeries that I can count? Are you fuckin' kidding me? And for some strange, obnoxious reason Flair think's people want to see Hogan wrestle? Other than a few brainless TNA marks who will praise anything TNA does, I can't see anybody want to see Hogan back in the ring. The guy is held by duct tape and staples now, it won't be good for anybody involved, even TNA themselves, if they have either Sting vs. Hogan, or Ric fuckin' Flair vs. Hulk Hogan. Who is this fuckin' storyline putting over? Well, not anybody under 50. I'm telling you this much, the Philly crowd will definately not take to this bullshit likely.

I don't get it anymore, I don't. I tried to actually enjoy TNA before, I tried to enjoy it, but having a fuckin' 61 year old guy saying he wants to fight a 50 year old guy, so the 50 year old can face the 58 year old who admitted that he can't even do his finisher anymore. It's way to much, especially in today's day and age when neither of those three are the wrestler, or the draw they were in the 80's and 90's. It's like watching a retired baseball player, who's in his 50's, trying to come back for one last run. The fans of his team like him, but everybody else keeps admitting that he sucks and his time is up. Can we just stop with these old guy's that want "one last match." "One last match" for Hogan may be the last time he ever walks.
You can't count to nine? Figured as much.

You're entitled to your opinion (as horribly biased as it is), but you'll be surprised at how many people are excited for this. Nostalgia sells. 40, 58 or 60 - it sells. Just listen to the crowd when Snuka makes his annual Royal Rumble appearance. Or Roddy Piper who can do anything but wrestle. And they're not even on Hogan, Flair or Sting's level. They're not much younger either, but people still love them. You'd love Hogan and Sting if they were in the WWE. It's painfully obvious that everything TNA is bad and everything WWE is amazing so why I'm even responding is beyond me. Just look at your damn signature. You should put Hogan next to VinMan, though. You know, that guy you hate whose back surgeries you can't count?

AND STOP PLACING APOSTROPHES FOR PLURALS! It's almost as irritating as this spelling "you're" as "your" shit everyone's doing. I'm starting to think you're 15 or something. And back in my day kids could spell better when they were 10. Which is 10 years ago. In freakin' Bulgaria. DEGRADATION IS A BITCH!

Nostalga surely does sell, but should not be the main focus of the shows. It shouldnt overshadow the real meat of the roster, or the promotions world title. A great recent example was the retirment angle played out between HBK and Ric Fliar for Wm24. It was a huge storyline, and a main event program, but the issues with the world title were the thing most paramount.

it remains to be seen how it plays out in this case. TNA could...COULD....do the right thing, and dedicate one to two segments per week slowly nudging towards a show down, to ramp up the volume a month out before BFG, bringing the entire storyline full circle....while keeping the main, headlining focus on the BFG series and Kurt Angle, the champion.

History tells us, however, that the mian focus will be ALLLLL about Hogan, segment after segment, as well as Bischoff.

TNA has the chance to do the right thing. Lets see if they do.

Its sad that people today still want to see Hogan trot out there for another wrestling match. With that being said, I am pretty sure this match will most likely happen, and similar to Mcmahon V Hart people will tune in to see two old time bitter rivals battle one last time. I believe the street fight is the best way to go for this potential match, because it limits the amount of actual wrestling hogan will have to do.

Hogan V Sting is going to be one of the selling points for bound for glory, but for me this will further tarnish the memories i have of both men in their primes.

ok so i guess im still one of the only people against hogan stepping into a ring to wrestle after all his back surgeries. however if hogan is going to wrestle again then sting is the perfect opponent. they have been feuding in a verbal and recently more physical fashion, so a match between the 2 is a huge possibility. as for flair, well i heard he was going after the TNA WHC, so i assume if kurt is champ by BFG then im imagining kurt and flair will have a match and hogan and sting will have a match.

You can't count to nine? Figured as much.

You're entitled to your opinion (as horribly biased as it is), but you'll be surprised at how many people are excited for this. Nostalgia sells. 40, 58 or 60 - it sells. Just listen to the crowd when Snuka makes his annual Royal Rumble appearance. Or Roddy Piper who can do anything but wrestle. And they're not even on Hogan, Flair or Sting's level. They're not much younger either, but people still love them. You'd love Hogan and Sting if they were in the WWE. It's painfully obvious that everything TNA is bad and everything WWE is amazing so why I'm even responding is beyond me. Just look at your damn signature. You should put Hogan next to VinMan, though. You know, that guy you hate whose back surgeries you can't count?

AND STOP PLACING APOSTROPHES FOR PLURALS! It's almost as irritating as this spelling "you're" as "your" shit everyone's doing. I'm starting to think you're 15 or something. And back in my day kids could spell better when they were 10. Which is 10 years ago. In freakin' Bulgaria. DEGRADATION IS A BITCH!

Nostaglia sells, but not to the point where alot of people will want to see a man who can't take a bump in a match. If Hogan wasn't held by staples now, and had numerous surgeries, it would'nt be that much of a problem. But, he admitted he can't even do his leg drop anymore, than how good could the match be? Sure, Bret Hart vs. Vince McMahon wasn't a good match at all, but it served a purpose; to end the 12 year rivalry between the two, and to kill of the Mr. McMahon character. What kind of purpose does this match sure other that a possible swerve, and a finger poke of doom? Really, I don't get it, Hogan can barely walk anymore, what would make people want to see Hogan in a match in 2011? He's surgeries and back problem's are pretty much documented, and have been admitted by numerous people on TNA, including Bischoff. Not like fans have no clue that Hogan has had 9 back surgeries.

Piper's and Snuka appearance was for nostaglia, yes. But, unlike Hogan, they weren't trying to be the center-piece of the Royal Rumble match, their appearance lasted like 3 minutes, and they moved aside for the younger star to continue to wrestle. Sting vs. Hogan, or Flair vs. Sting, is centered around 1 guy who can still go (Sting) and two old men ( Hogan and Flair) with one man who can't take a bump anymore. They only rely on nostaglia today, nothing more.

And no, I would'nt like to see Hogan back in WWE. Maybe one appearance, but that's it. Sign over his likeness, make more Hulkamania T-shirts, but that's it. Hogan really bring nothing else besides nostaglia now. Sting on the other hand, I would want to see in WWE. And, to remind you I never had anything against Sting personally, I just don't think he should be TNA Champion. Anyway, who doesn't want to see Sting in WWE? Even for one match.

@ above. Why do you even post here? You clearly hate TNA and love WWE. What's the point in posting on the TNA board? I don't even hate WWE but I don't enjoy it so I don't watch it, so I don't post on the WWE boards!

Nostaglia sells, but not to the point where alot of people will want to see a man who can't take a bump in a match. If Hogan wasn't held by staples now, and had numerous surgeries, it would'nt be that much of a problem. But, he admitted he can't even do his leg drop anymore, than how good could the match be? Sure, Bret Hart vs. Vince McMahon wasn't a good match at all, but it served a purpose; to end the 12 year rivalry between the two, and to kill of the Mr. McMahon character.

From what I've read Triple H has only recently taken the reigns over from McMahon (therefore "Mr McMahon" has only just left). There probably was no point to the Bret/McMahon match, the WWE thought fans wanted to see it (because of their history - just like Hogan/Sting) so they gave it to them.

What kind of purpose does this match sure other that a possible swerve, and a finger poke of doom? Really, I don't get it, Hogan can barely walk anymore, what would make people want to see Hogan in a match in 2011? He's surgeries and back problem's are pretty much documented, and have been admitted by numerous people on TNA, including Bischoff. Not like fans have no clue that Hogan has had 9 back surgeries.

It serves the purpose of seeing two of the biggest legends this industry has ever seen squaring off one last time. That's the only purpose it needs. What would make people want to see Hulk Hogan in a match? Oh I don't know, maybe because it's HULK HOGAN! Oh and he was moving pretty well when he put that beating on Sting, I know I had a smile on my face seeing the Hulkster kick some arse. Does it not occur to you that to some fans "nostalgia" is the reason they watch. Hell it's because of the nostalgia aspect of TNA that I still watch wrestling.

Piper's and Snuka appearance was for nostaglia, yes. But, unlike Hogan, they weren't trying to be the center-piece of the Royal Rumble match, their appearance lasted like 3 minutes, and they moved aside for the younger star to continue to wrestle. Sting vs. Hogan, or Flair vs. Sting, is centered around 1 guy who can still go (Sting) and two old men ( Hogan and Flair) with one man who can't take a bump anymore. They only rely on nostaglia today, nothing more.

And nostalgia is enough. I don't understand why some wrestling fans want to see all these generic guys on top just because they're younger. You don't understand how nostalgia sells, but it does. Only to a certain audience, granted, but the generic guys only appeal to a certain audience as well. And I don't think Hogan and Sting will be the main event at BFG so they're not hogging anyones spotlight. If some young wrestler misses out because Hogan and Sting are on the card. Then it's up to that wrestler to get better.

And no, I would'nt like to see Hogan back in WWE. Maybe one appearance, but that's it. Sign over his likeness, make more Hulkamania T-shirts, but that's it. Hogan really bring nothing else besides nostaglia now. Sting on the other hand, I would want to see in WWE. And, to remind you I never had anything against Sting personally, I just don't think he should be TNA Champion. Anyway, who doesn't want to see Sting in WWE? Even for one match.

So you want to see Hogan have one more appearance in WWE but people are not allowed to want to see him have one more match in TNA? The same with Sting, basically you're bitching because TNA have these guys and WWE don't. And Sting's not the World Champion so you don't need to worry yourself with that.

There's no doubt that even though it is the year 2011, a match between Sting and Hulk Hogan will sell, as nostalgia does sell, at least to some degree. The fact that both of these guys are old and a shadow of their former selves, and one of them can barely walk never mind wrestle, will still not change the fact that people will pay to see this ONE match at this ONE PPV.

But this is typical of the problem that continues to plague TNA; a lack of vision for the future, an inability or unwillingness to see the big picture and to plan for the future. Sting and Hogan will limp and hobble through yet another one last match, and then both guys will likely be done:)lmao:), so then what? Possibly one good number for one event, then back to the drawing board again. At BFG 2010, "they" were coming to change professional wrestling forever. It turned out to be a flop in my opinion, but worse than that, they were directionless in terms of where to go in the months following this. And it will be the same thing for BFG 2011. A lot of hype for two aging superstars, with nothing planned to follow up on them. One (relatively) big number, then back to struggling for mediocrity. Not to mention that neither Hogan or Sting will disappear after this match; they will both stick around to muddy the waters for the rest of the roster in the subsequent months.

Personally, I have zero interest whatsoever in seeing these guys have a match at this stage of their careers, but I can appreciate that other guys might. It will be a shame, though, seeing the months following BFG 2011 be as lackluster as the months following BFG 2010.

I watched Impact this week and thought the interaction with Sting, Angle, and Hogan was pretty good. I say that as my review of it would be that Angle and Sting, with Angle giving Sting a beatdown was pretty good and then Hogan continuing that beatdown certainly helps build the Hogan v. Sting match. However, I though that Hogan and Sting did a pretty average sell on the in-ring beatdown and I was a bit disappointed in that. So it has me concerned that this match is going to be more letdown than nostalgic value. Understand, I'm as anxious as any veteran wrestling fan can be about seeing these two 'warriors' go it once more but I'm not sure that (1) it's going to be entertaining, and (2) really serves any purpose except nostalgia.

Now I do know that there is a storyline woven into this match with Sting trying to rid TNA of Hogan and Bischoff. But if Hogan, as is rumored, is to turn face after this match, has Sting really achieved his goal? If I remember correctly, part of this whole saga has been that Sting doesn't trust Hogan and Bischoff and if that's true, then why would he trust Hogan turning face?

Again, I'm not trying to belittle this storyline or this match, but as I have more time to sit and think it thru, I'm just wondering as a fan what this really achieves?

Again, I'm not trying to belittle this storyline or this match, but as I have more time to sit and think it thru, I'm just wondering as a fan what this really achieves?

It doesn't really achieve anything long term, but short term it gets people's attention and interested in BFG. You could use that time to put someone over huge like Crimson say. That works long term but it doesn't do much in the short term and garnering interest in Bound For Glory. This match, IMO, won't be a number one contenders match or anything, it will likely be billed as a retirment match, so it has no long term value but it has serious short term value when you consider the names involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back