Sting joining the nwo

jrcongine

Pre-Show Stalwart
Remember the night the fake sting joined the nwo and attacked luger outside the arena. I was 11 at the time and didn't have knowledge of wrestling websites, even if they were around at that time. I truly thought that was the real sting and couldn't believe they had nash, hall, hogan, i think the giant at that time and sting. I thought wcw was literally over at that point and the company was going to turn into the nwo. I was young. I was a nwo mark from start to finish, and was completey fooled by that. What did everyone think of this angle.

It didn't fool me. Sting was and still is my all time favorite wrestler, and I could tell there was something fishy about that.

But yeah... the angle overall was awesome because it lead to one of my favorite moments in wrestling history at Fall Brawl 1996 when the real Sting finally came out during War Games. Man... did I mark the fuck out. You just had no idea what Sting was going to do. When Sting showed up and kicked fucking ass, and then leave.... damn was it awesome. At first, you're kind of disappointed because Sting sorta deserted WCW by leaving and since the nWo won the match, you felt like damn, if Sting would've stayed, WCW would've won. But then when you think about it, it just made Sting that much more bad ass. To just show up like that, prove a point that nobody can fuck with you, and then just straight up leave... it was fucking spectacular.

I was at the nitro when Sting death dropped Rick Steiner(Buff Bagwell also turned heel that night btw). Rick was like the 2nd or 3rd face to get attacked by Sting. I figured out early on that he was trying to make a point to the WCW guys. Such a great angle.
At the time I wasn't a big fan of the "fake sting" but it gave Jeff Farmer ring time. That guy's most famous for impersonating one of the biggest faces in 90's wrestling. He also won War Games for the NWO. I look back at it now and I see the genius of it.

Anyway when Sting really joined the NWO (red) he and the nwo sucked. I also think Sting and Hogan's Starcade match ruined the angle. 18 monthes leading up to a terrible match. I didn't get the Bret Hart thing. Then the title held up and then Sting finally won it only to lose to Savage a few months later. That totally killed it for me.

I was never fooled by the fake sting. I always thought there was something different about him. I think that angle was a great way of transforming Sting into that persona of The Crow and at the same time nobody really knew what side he was gonna take. That part DID confuse me cuz he would come out and fight the faces but then attack the NWO at the same time. Sting has always been my favorite wrestler of all time and I think this angle just shot him straight up into the mainstream up there with Hogan, Flair, Macho and the rest. I mean, he already was a very popular wrestler but this angle just did it for me!

its on the topic of sting, but not joining nwo. my favorite moments of sting were always showing up at the end of nitro or thunder and kicking hogan and nwo's ass. my personal favorite was the nitro with all the multiple fake stings coming from the stands, everywhere etc. then the real one came down and gave buff bagwell a deathdrop while he was posing for the crowd. and then proceeded to own everyone else, just the best.

For awhile i remember wishing to have to old blonde sting back for a while, but this was a very good angle for sting and wcw in a whole. I forgot about him coming out and attacking face and wondering what was going on but you new he was wcw in the back of your mind, but he just had no alliances. I want to stress i wasn't so much talking about the whole angle when i said i thought he was in nwo, just that one night when the fake sting first appeared. After you saw him again it was obvious it wasn't him, but the first night it was so quick and i thought it was him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back