• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Star Wars: Greatest Film of All-Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhonda Rousey's Sports Bra

Kinda Sorta Old School
694px-star_wars_logosvg.png

[youtube]EjMNNpIksaI[/youtube]​

The purpose of this thread is to take a look at Star Wars to see if it is indeed the greatest film of all-time. For the pupose of this competition I'm taking the original film, Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. There are quite a few reasons why this film can be considered the best as I'll show you all in just a second. Have fun and remember this is a non spam section so tell me why you know that Star Wars is the greatest film of all-time.​

Cast

The first thing I'd like to look at is the cast of the film, because you can't usually have a good movie without good actors.​

The cast for this film included Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford, and Alec Guinness. This is just a quick glance at what our main actors history.​

Mark Hamill

I'm starting with Luke because that's what he's become since the movies came out. Hamill hasn't reached anywhere near the success he had in Star Wars since the films came out, but those are hard to top. Mark became type cast to Skywalker and basically the only work he could get was spin offs and Broadway. In more recent years he has been getting voice over roles and is the voice of the Joker in Batman: The Animated Series, which won an Emmy.​

Carrie Fisher

Fisher played Princess Leia in Star Wars and became every young boys fantasy girl. She is probably best known for her role in Star Wars but has been in a number of other films aswell.​

Harrison Ford

Ford has probably had the most success after Star Wars, starring in Indiana Jones, Clear and Present Danger, Air Force One, and a few other films that will be in his filmography. Ford played Han Solo in the Star Wars movies and was my favorite for sure.​

Alec Guinness

Alec played Obi-Wan Kenobi, but was a very successful actor prior to that winning the Academy Award for his role in The Bridge on the River Kwai and being nominated for other awards.​

Awards

I have a link to the awards that one this movie won, not mentioning the awards that all the movies that stemmed off of it won.​

Innovation

This movie was innovative if it was nothing else, the graphics and special effects were so far ahead of the times that it's ridiculous. It wasn't only the visual effects either, the sound effects were innovative aswell, for instance the sound of the tie fighter is that of an elephant. This movie changed everything for the movie industry and how they shot a movie. For a more in-depth look read my link.​

Fan Base

This one really goes without saying, but the Star Wars movie franchise has one of if not the biggest and most loyal fanbases ever. This movie started it all. They even have Star Wars Legos, it's own section in the great WZ prison, and this amazing piece of work :lsabre:. In all seriousness the fans of this movie are rabid, the collections of all things Star Wars, the conventions, and general love for these movies is just amazing.​

Sequels-Prequels

Something else I really don't need to get into but I'm just going to point out that this is one of the greatest film trilogies ever and also had Episodes I-III to go along with it.​

StarWarsLDMenu.jpg

Money

One of the most important things right here, money. The money this movie and it's prequels made is ridiculous. Not to mention all the merchandise sales for toys, video games, clothes, and all things Star Wars. 9 billion according to the first link.​

This link shows the box office gross.​

Closing

Above I have stated reasons why Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope is the greatest film of all-time. I say all this not being a sci fi geek too, I'm an average guy but this movie really is the best, it catches you up into the story and keeps you there, not just through out this movie, but for the whole series. Star Wars is the Greatest Film of All-Time.

Since some might confuse what greatness is I'll clarify with a comparison. When most think of the greatest wrestler of All-Time they think Austin-Hogan. Now neither of these guys put on perfect technical matches but they had the most fans, drew the most money, and have had had a lasting impact on the business.​

I think including the prequels as a reason why it's the greatest film of all-time is a bit presumptuous. That's probably the wrong word, or not even a word, but I needed something with a few syllables in to make you pay attention. Anyway, those three were terrible. And - as you'll soon find out - not just from a Star Wars fanboy perspective but from a, uh, non-Star Wars fan boy perspective too. Yeah.

Not to mention it doesn't really add to the quality of it as a standalone film, which also counts out the sequels.

I never really got Star Wars, but I never really didn't get Star Wars either. I watch it and I'm thinking, "Yeah, this is a pretty good film - y'know; in an eighties camp kind of way." And IMDb tells me it was released in the seventies, so that shit was ahead of its time in that aspect. I think A New Hope is good in the same way I think Flash Gordon or Adam West's Batman is good. Definitely worth a watch, but not really a true contender for greatest film of all-time.

Certainly, in my opinion, it's not even the greatest sci-fi film of all-time. Something like Blade Runner, Alien or Aliens would be my pick. Ahh, those were the days. Remember when Ridley Scott wasn't shit?

I'll be honest, I'm a moderately big sci-fi nerd. But not really. But sort of. I'm not into Star Trek or Stargate or Battlestar Galactica, but motherfucker, I'll be home on time every Saturday to watch Doctor Who on BBC HD. You know, when it's on.

Even then, I couldn't actually tell you what actually happens in A New Hope. I think it ends up with them blowing up the Death Star. Star Wars is a phenomena that pretty much passed me by, despite the fact that I've seen all three of them at least twice. Probably. They kinda blend together for me.

Also, for the record, Lord of the Rings is an inferior trilogy but Fellowship of the Ring is a superior film.

I think including the prequels as a reason why it's the greatest film of all-time is a bit presumptuous. That's probably the wrong word, or not even a word, but I needed something with a few syllables in to make you pay attention. Anyway, those three were terrible. And - as you'll soon find out - not just from a Star Wars fanboy perspective but from a, uh, non-Star Wars fan boy perspective too. Yeah.

Not to mention it doesn't really add to the quality of it as a standalone film, which also counts out the sequels.

I never really got Star Wars, but I never really didn't get Star Wars either. I watch it and I'm thinking, "Yeah, this is a pretty good film - y'know; in an eighties camp kind of way." And IMDb tells me it was released in the seventies, so that shit was ahead of its time in that aspect. I think A New Hope is good in the same way I think Flash Gordon or Adam West's Batman is good. Definitely worth a watch, but not really a true contender for greatest film of all-time.

Certainly, in my opinion, it's not even the greatest sci-fi film of all-time. Something like Blade Runner, Alien or Aliens would be my pick. Ahh, those were the days. Remember when Ridley Scott wasn't shit?

I'll be honest, I'm a moderately big sci-fi nerd. But not really. But sort of. I'm not into Star Trek or Stargate or Battlestar Galactica, but motherfucker, I'll be home on time every Saturday to watch Doctor Who on BBC HD. You know, when it's on.

Even then, I couldn't actually tell you what actually happens in A New Hope. I think it ends up with them blowing up the Death Star. Star Wars is a phenomena that pretty much passed me by, despite the fact that I've seen all three of them at least twice. Probably. They kinda blend together for me.

Also, for the record, Lord of the Rings is an inferior trilogy but Fellowship of the Ring is a superior film.

Well Sam you had me laughing while reading through tis post so that's points for you, but am going to have to disagree with some of your points.

The first thing I want to address is the sequels. I'm not looking at the sequels as being great, even though they are some great movies. I'm looking at A New Hope being the greatest for what it did in the movie industry and the place it has in history. That's what makes it great to me. Truth is I'm not much of a Sci-Fi nerd and I loved this movie, I'm also hard pressed to find someone that doesn't like it. Also the fact that you saw it and it's sequels at least twice says something about it. I think what makes this movie so great is that everyone has watched it and more than likely watched it multiple times.

Star Wars is definitely among some of the greatest films of all time. The whole series really is. While some may argue that Star Wars 1-3 was awful compared to 4-6 the commercial success of it truly proves otherwise.

The cast of all of the movies have made new stars, or solidified some greats. There's really not much to say behind that, other than we remember most of the cast for their part in Star Wars, over any other movie they might have made, with a rare exception here and there.

Ewan McGregor is a great example of this. While some may be more into movies than others, I would like to believe that the majority of casual movie fans will remember Ewan for Star Wars 1-3, and not for Black Hawk Down, or any of his other movies.

Star Wars 4-6 are classics, and successful movies as well that introduced a new aspect of Sci-Fi, with an intriguing story, as well as an action packed story. 1-3 followed up on the momentum that Star Wars had carried for so many years, gathering a whole new fan base in the children and youngsters of that age period. A guy like me for example, who knew very little of Star Wars prior to the first movie, I'm a big fan now.

Star Wars is truly one of, if not the greatest movie of all time. And the facts support it.

It's not even the greatest in the series so how can it be the greatest of all time? Lets see what you have to say.

The first thing I'd like to look at is the cast of the film, because you can't usually have a good movie without good actors.​

The cast for this film included Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford, and Alec Guinness. This is just a quick glance at what our main actors history.​

Of which all aside from Ford hated for being typecast in that role.

I have a link to the awards that one this movie won, not mentioning the awards that all the movies that stemmed off of it won.​

No Oscars I see, the industries number one awards refused to give it best picture, Annie Hall I believe winning that year, so using the awards logic Annie Hall > Star Wars.

Innovation

This movie was innovative if it was nothing else, the graphics and special effects were so far ahead of the times that it's ridiculous. It wasn't only the visual effects either, the sound effects were innovative aswell, for instance the sound of the tie fighter is that of an elephant. This movie changed everything for the movie industry and how they shot a movie. For a more in-depth look read my link.​

So using elephant noises and paper ripping (the doors) make it a great film? Visually it was stunning for its time, then again Avatar is stunning for its time now, would you use that argument for saying Avatar is the greatest of all time? I think not.

Fan Base
This one really goes without saying, but the Star Wars movie franchise has one of if not the biggest and most loyal fanbases ever. This movie started it all. They even have Star Wars Legos, it's own section in the great WZ prison, and this amazing piece of work :lsabre:. In all seriousness the fans of this movie are rabid, the collections of all things Star Wars, the conventions, and general love for these movies is just amazing.​

star-trek-tpol-lt-saavik-cosplay-wars-vulcan-nerd-sexy.jpg

Sequels-Prequels

The thread is on Star Wars Episode IV a new hope not the sequels so we'll give this a miss.

Money

One of the most important things right here, money. The money this movie and it's prequels made is ridiculous. Not to mention all the merchandise sales for toys, video games, clothes, and all things Star Wars. 9 billion according to the first link.​

This link shows the box office gross.​

You can't argue against how much money Episode IV made, but the fact that episode I made more and it is by far a worse film than IV makes this a rather moot point.

Closing

Above I have stated reasons why Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope is the greatest film of all-time. I say all this not being a sci fi geek too, I'm an average guy but this movie really is the best, it catches you up into the story and keeps you there, not just through out this movie, but for the whole series. Star Wars is the Greatest Film of All-Time.

Since some might confuse what greatness is I'll clarify with a comparison. When most think of the greatest wrestler of All-Time they think Austin-Hogan. Now neither of these guys put on perfect technical matches but they had the most fans, drew the most money, and have had had a lasting impact on the business.​

And the prequels earned more than episode IV so again it's a pointless argument.

I love the Star Wars films, they offer a good escape which to me is what a film should be about. But story wise/action wise/ acting wise etc Empire is the better film of the series.

I see where you're going here Lee and I knew this would come into play, while I love Empire I'd say that the movie that started it all is the greater film. Why? Well it's because it's the original, without IV there is no Empire. What makes this film the greatest is what the movie accomplished. It made the greatest movies series in history happen and made more money than any other series with the exception of series with many more movies. I know this isn't about the series, it's about the individual movies greatness. This movie started great things.

So far, all I've seen is the impact the film has made on the fans and its legacy, to me, while I admire Star Wars, this doesn't tell me what makes Star Wars itself great, while impact is important what is it about Star Wars that makes it great? The one key element you're missing out here is the plot. Much like Lee said, the plot of A New Hope when comparing it to all six films, to me, I feel it's not even in the top 3. In comparison to the Empire Strikes Back, the plot is pretty generic and that's why I wasn't the best fan, I even once had A New Hope given to me and my first response was "But I love Empire Strikes Back", true story.

Fact is, what is it that is outstanding about A New Hope? The fact it introduced SFX in a new way? Yeah, then it got outdone, the plot is rather dragging, you get a great opening followed by a good 40 minutes of nothing, 20 mins of good action, slows down again. The pace is really jumping and never consistent that you could easily cut out the slow parts and it would be so much better. In comparison, Empire has you on the edge of your seats from start to finish, you're always concerned about how each of the heroes are doing while also being in fear of Vader's grasp. Empire really made Vader into the villain we know today, while he was introduced in A New Hope, he was really Tarkin's bitch and didn't stand out as villain in comparison to his superior, Empire MADE Vader into the villain we know and love today because he took centre stage and kicked all mighty arse!

Problem with Star Wars is that Lucas is actually a bad director, more focus on action overplot with too much going on, the moment he handed the reigns over to another director for Empire, it had focus on story once again and you find this happens with the other Lucas films, the plot is lacklustre and is usually shifted for action, a trend started by A New Hope. In the end, out of saga of films, the original may have been the one to start it all, but it was outdone on the second time round and this is why Star Wars isn't the greatest film of all time when it is the predecessor to one of the greatest films of all time!

To me greatness is what one accomplishes. IV was the first in the trilogy and without there is no Empire, IV made that movie. IV was the first in the most successful series of movies ever. Without IV there is no V or VI or I,II, or III. Without A New Hope where would Sci-Fi in general be? My guess is way behind the times. Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope made Sci-Fi into what it is today, that's greatness.

Ah yes... Star Wars, Star Wars. Look, I like star Wars, that said, you haven't even chosen the right one of the series. Empire Strikes Back is noted by many to be the best of the series, the likes of which makes the others seem significantly worse. That said, Star Wars is really a movie that if you don't watch together, in sequential order, they lose plenty of their luster over time. What I mean is, simply enough, you can't watch one of them without having to watch the other ones, unlike The Godfather, in which each one you can say that you could watch one, and start the series from there. Star Wars was merely a popcorn move, frankly, one in which entertained, but as a work of art, does not stand the test of time. And yes, movies are a work of art. You can argue all you want over entertainment, but really, Star Wars is nothing more than archetypical story done to the ground by the Greeks and Romans, with lasers and ships taking the place of swords and axes. The hero story is always good, but frankly, here is a case where we see young Skywalker with no growth, and no temptation in his system. It wouldn't be until TESB that Skywalker actually became a somewhat entertaining character.

Look, I won't try to argue that Star Wars isn't a great movie, but that said, certainly not the best. The best movie must both manage to be a work of art as well as entertaining. Star Wars only has the entertaining aspect. The closest you come to art is watching the cool little ships explode. Otherwise, there's just plenty I don't like about Star Wars, most opf which... Well, falls on this guy.

600full-george-lucas.jpg

I do not like George Lucas. Period. It is a commonly held perception that George Lucas is a "bad" director in terms of dealing with actors. It is a partially self-perpetuated image, as Lucas has often famously quipped that his acting direction to his stars after a take is (or rather perhaps was) limited to "faster, more intense". This notion has been extended in interviews with Lucas and his staff, particularly on Star Wars DVD special features, in which Lucas frequently states (and also has said of him) that directing on set is his least favorite part of the filmmaking process, and that editing is where he really feels he is creating the film. Funny, because that's supposed to be his fucking job while on the god damn set.The perception of Lucas as an inferior director has also been fed by the aforementioned dissatisfaction voiced by some of his cast regarding the CGI-intensive filmmaking process, as well as the fact that Lucas did not direct the last two films of the original trilogy. Some argue this was simply because Lucas disliked directing so much that he passed off the responsibility of handling the actors while still retaining chief artistic control of the two films overall. Some consider the claim of Lucas being an inferior director to be absurd, considering that he has been nominated twice for the Best Director Oscar (although he has never won). Others note that Lucas does have strengths as a director, for example his keen eye for cinematography, lighting and other such visual elements that won him acclaim in his earlier work as a student and young director. Myself? I hate George Lucas with a burning passion, because as a director, I find that he treats his actors with indifference, a big no no in the acting community, and lives off the special effects and the flippy flips. Just like the X Division in TNA.

Look, say what you will, Star Wars just doesn't hold weight as a piece of art. Due to many reasons, really, but mainly due to George Lucas, and his shit directing

To me greatness is what one accomplishes. IV was the first in the trilogy and without there is no Empire, IV made that movie. IV was the first in the most successful series of movies ever. Without IV there is no V or VI or I,II, or III. Without A New Hope where would Sci-Fi in general be? My guess is way behind the times. Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope made Sci-Fi into what it is today, that's greatness.

You didn't just go there...you did not just go THERE! Given that you had franchises like Flash Gordon, STAR TREK and Thunderbirds, amongst other Sci-Fi Classics occuring BEFORE Star Wars, you have to be careful with that one there. 11 years before Star Wars even came on the scene, Sci-Fi was heavily popular thanks to Star Trek, that series was a breakthrough on the thought beyond space exploration and to be frank, the legacy of Star Trek has left a bigger and better impact on the World over Star Wars. This was a franchise that further encouraged space exploration, the first ever NASA Space Shuttle was named the Enterprise and the fact that Star Trek is still ongoing trumps Star Wars' legacy that continues to get tainted every year.

So Star Wars did not make Sci-Fi where it was today, that honour goes to Gordon, Trek and 2001 A Space Oddity, Star Wars latched on and started something new under an already popular genre.

Sorry Phoenix not a fan of Trek at all. Truthfully I believe that Star Wars has helped Sci-Fi more than any other movie ever. It brought it into the main stream in a huge way, the numbers are proof of that. Besides Trek is a show, granted they have a few movies, and only really have their base of loyal fans as Wars gets new fans everyday. It might not be a popular setiment with Sci-Fi purists but the Star Wars made that genre into what it has become, everything starts somewhere.

Now this is more my speed. I LOVE Star Wars and have since the day I saw it the first time in theaters for the rerelease in I think 1997. I was at my Uncle's house and he had a movie on. There was a small green creature on the back of a man in what looked like a swamp. He spoke of something called the Force, and I was instantly intrigued.

I saw all three movies over the course of about six weeks and have loved them ever since. The third is my favorite, but it's not the best. The charm that comes from the lower budget and Lucas being a filmmaker that is getting his film and story on the big screen before it became a commercial Goliath is an amazing story. The ending, as the Death Star explodes from a shot from a small ship is perhaps my favorite moment in all movies and has never stopped giving me a thrill anytime I see it.

This movie has it all and is a definite candidate for best film ever.

Sorry Phoenix not a fan of Trek at all. Truthfully I believe that Star Wars has helped Sci-Fi more than any other movie ever. It brought it into the main stream in a huge way, the numbers are proof of that. Besides Trek is a show, granted they have a few movies, and only really have their base of loyal fans as Wars gets new fans everyday. It might not be a popular setiment with Sci-Fi purists but the Star Wars made that genre into what it has become, everything starts somewhere.

You are joking right? Lucas himself has said he was inspired by Flash Gordon, Lucas wouldn't claim to have Sci-Fi as it was. Heck one of the first films ever made was a Sci-Fi (a trip to the moon). Once 79 rolled on and Alien was released Sci Fi went from the cartoony roots of the originals (and star wars) and became rather gritty, dystopia-ish. To claim that it helped Sci-Fi more than any other movie is preposterous and pisses on anything Star Trek (yes movies who are still adding fans), forbidden planet, Flash Gordon or even 2001 did. Absurd claim.

You are joking right? Lucas himself has said he was inspired by Flash Gordon, Lucas wouldn't claim to have Sci-Fi as it was. Heck one of the first films ever made was a Sci-Fi (a trip to the moon). Once 79 rolled on and Alien was released Sci Fi went from the cartoony roots of the originals (and star wars) and became rather gritty, dystopia-ish. To claim that it helped Sci-Fi more than any other movie is preposterous and pisses on anything Star Trek (yes movies who are still adding fans), forbidden planet, Flash Gordon or even 2001 did. Absurd claim.
How is the most successful Sci-Fi Movie franchise ever in the history of Sci-Fi doing more for the genre an absurd claim? If anything it solidifies it's spot beingthe most successful. I'm sorry if I crossed the line with a Trek reference, but truth is Star Wars has brought more fans to Sci-Fi than anything. Sci-Fi will always have it's hardcore fans but the amount of fans that Star Wars brought the genre is what's absurd.

I'm not convinced. While the whole space thing was good for its time and the legacy is well known, it's been surpassed as both a sci-fi film and a good vs evil tale. The best thing about this is Harrison Ford who would go on to do bigger and better.

I can respect Star Wars for its impact at the timebut really, it's nothing special and hasn't stood up to the test of time like its' fanboys claim.

I'm not convinced. While the whole space thing was good for its time and the legacy is well known, it's been surpassed as both a sci-fi film and a good vs evil tale. The best thing about this is Harrison Ford who would go on to do bigger and better.

I can respect Star Wars for its impact at the timebut really, it's nothing special and hasn't stood up to the test of time like its' fanboys claim.
I'm not a fanboy in any sense of the word really. I just know that this movies is the greatest of All-Time. As for Harrison Ford, yes he went on to other things, Star Wars trumps all of that. The amount of money this movie drew and the amount of spin-offs and games and toys is just ridiculous. If people didn't love this movie they wouldn't buy so much of that stuff. This movie is the greatest of all-time.

Think of it from another point of view. That of the star Wars fanboy. List me some Star Wars characters. Here's 15 off the top of my head:

Luke, Leia, Han, the droids, Vader, chewie, Boba Fett, Yoda, The Emperor, Jabba, Obi Wan, Ewoks, Anakin, Darth Maul, Lando.

How many of those are in the first film? No Jabba (original version), no Emperor, no Ewoks, No Boba, Darth Maul, Lando and certainly no wise green Jedi's! Luke and Leia don't know they're related and no one has a clue that Vader is Luke's dad. All the best things to happen in Star Wars happen OUTSIDE of the first movie. The argument that it was the first of the series therefore the greatest is stupid, it's like saying the first ever episode of Raw was the greatest, obviously it isn't!

Think of it from another point of view. That of the star Wars fanboy. List me some Star Wars characters. Here's 15 off the top of my head:

Luke, Leia, Han, the droids, Vader, chewie, Boba Fett, Yoda, The Emperor, Jabba, Obi Wan, Ewoks, Anakin, Darth Maul, Lando.

How many of those are in the first film? No Jabba (original version), no Emperor, no Ewoks, No Boba, Darth Maul, Lando and certainly no wise green Jedi's! Luke and Leia don't know they're related and no one has a clue that Vader is Luke's dad. All the best things to happen in Star Wars happen OUTSIDE of the first movie. The argument that it was the first of the series therefore the greatest is stupid, it's like saying the first ever episode of Raw was the greatest, obviously it isn't!
Lee I respect your knowledge on the subject, I really do. But you're not looking at the point I'm making. This film was the best thing to happen for the entire genre. Without it there is not Empire, same with Raw, without HBK being thrown into a car there is no beer bath or Y2J countdown. The importance of this film is 2nd to none and that's what makes it the greatest.

I'd like to address a few things here to strengthen my points on why this particular movie should be considered the greatest of all-time besides a few points I have made already.

I've noticed the sentiment that this isn't the best movie in the series so how can it be the GOAT? Well I want everyone to look at the bigger picture here of what I'm trying to convey. This movie started it all, without it there is no Star Wars trilogy, can you imagine where Sci-Fi, special effects, and movies in general would be? This movie is the original and has stood the test of time, I could pick it up right now and rewatch it and still be glued to the TV screen. What defines greatness to you? For me, it's about the big picture and the influence of what something did, this movie influnced it's genre like none other and took everything to another level. You could look at a movie as a stand alone piece and call it great, but when you look at everything one movie accomplished you will see where I'm coming from. So I ask you to not be so near sighted and look at what this movie did from the big picture.

Star Wars is a film for a niche audience. It's not for everyone... just mostly Sci-Fi nerds.

How does that remotely qualify it being the greatest film of all time? It was just a blockbuster film. That's it. Does it have a strong fanbase? Sure it does, but that doesn't make it a masterpiece of a movie; it just makes the film a favorite to a bunch of nerds out there.

Besides, all George Lucas did was take a Akira Kurosawa film, put it in space and call it Star Wars. Literally, that's what happened. Sorry, but that cannot be the greatest movie of all-time. People bitch today about remakes happening all the time... well, imagine what would happen if Michael Bay took the plot of Seven Samurai and placed it on Pluto and added a bunch of silly creatures. It wouldn't matter if that movie went on to make a Billion dollars and become the phenomenon Star Wars is today; to people who know anything about film it would just be a ridiculous rehashing of an already classic movie. And trust me... that is all Star Wars truly is.

I'm not a fanboy in any sense of the word really. I just know that this movies is the greatest of All-Time. As for Harrison Ford, yes he went on to other things, Star Wars trumps all of that. The amount of money this movie drew and the amount of spin-offs and games and toys is just ridiculous. If people didn't love this movie they wouldn't buy so much of that stuff. This movie is the greatest of all-time.

Like I said, respect for the money and the crowd that it drew and still manages to do so to this day. But you are not selling me on this at all.

The direction is shoddy, the story wanders and lacks focus structure and outside of a few scenes, it can be painfully boring. Mark Hamill is awful too. The costumes (Yoda/Vader etc) and the CGI for its time are what truly makes this great. But not the greatest of all time because it isn't even the best in the series.

And if you can respond without saying GOAT at all, I'll be amazed.

Like I said, respect for the money and the crowd that it drew and still manages to do so to this day. But you are not selling me on this at all.

The direction is shoddy, the story wanders and lacks focus structure and outside of a few scenes, it can be painfully boring. Mark Hamill is awful too. The costumes (Yoda/Vader etc) and the CGI for its time are what truly makes this great. But not the greatest of all time because it isn't even the best in the series.

And if you can respond without saying GOAT at all, I'll be amazed.

:rolleyes:

:disappointed:

:lmao:

Yoda's not in this film at all. He's in every Star Wars film aside from episode IV a new hope, ie the film this thread is about. Whilst I agree with you that it is not the greatest of all time, for you to use the argument of Yoda looking shoddy is actually laughable as he's not even in the movie.

For me this is hard to argue as I think BC has a difference in opinion as to what constitutes greatness in a movie, for me it's one that is enjoyable to the most people, one that is not bettered by its sequel, one that I just love. Don't get me wrong I love Star Wars, but IV is the weakest of the originals and that of course is the majority opinion of both geeks and generic viewers of the film.

But I was talking as much of the characters. BC discussed the spin offs and toys etc and in the entire canon on Star Wars, Yoda is a huge part of it. I'm of the opinion that Star Wars is hugely overrated as it is and the only reason I will continue to give it some credit is because of what influence it has/had in cinema, especially at the time.

Everyone's being so near sighted here and not truly grasping why I'm calling this film the GOAT. It's not just about the stand alone movie, when I saw the topic of Greatest of All-Time, I didn't think "well this movie is the best single picture I've ever seen" I thought deeper into it. I thought about how this movie effected people and how it changed the movie business. Everything that steemed from this movie is huge, the reason I call this particular movie the greatest is because of that. I'm looking at the grand scheme of things here and I want everyone that disagrees to take a second and look at it from my perspective.

Everyone's being so near sighted here and not truly grasping why I'm calling this film the GOAT. It's not just about the stand alone movie, when I saw the topic of Greatest of All-Time, I didn't think "well this movie is the best single picture I've ever seen" I thought deeper into it. I thought about how this movie effected people and how it changed the movie business. Everything that steemed from this movie is huge, the reason I call this particular movie the greatest is because of that. I'm looking at the grand scheme of things here and I want everyone that disagrees to take a second and look at it from my perspective.

What do you mean grand scheme of things? Just because the movie produced better sequels doesn't make this the greatest Movie of All time. That's a pretty bold statement. I know without one you don't get the rest. And that's okay but still.

I also agree with Jeffue. It might have been a hit but it only appealed to a certain audience. You know, nerds? You can look at the numbers, and that's fine and dandy. But not everyone was running to see Star Wars when it first came out. Why? Because it didn't appeal to the normal movie goer. Unlike my film, it appealed to everyone, 16 years and older.. This could be the best sci fi movie ever, but that still doesn't make it the greatest movie of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back