• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Star Wars : A missed opportunity

Jeff Deliverer of Mail

Money for nothin, chicks for free
Star Wars began as a Sci-Fi movie that exploded on to the scene in 1977 and hasn't looked back. Now, 39 years later and it has had 7 movies made worth hundreds of millions of dollars. Opened multiple companies, and is a pretty big universe of die hard fans.

What Star Wars never did though, was a live action television show. Star Trek did it five times and two or three of them were pretty good to great shows to watch.

I always thought The New Jedi Order series of books (Approx 12-15 in the whole series) would make an amazing television series. If un-die hards are unfamiliar with The New Jedi Order, it goes like this: Just outside the Star Wars Galaxy a nasty race of aliens called The Yuuzhan Vong are preparing a massive attack on the entire galaxy. They attack (With Organic, rock-like ships and weapons) and dominate killing trillions of aliens and humans in their path. The Jedi, Republic and other empires have to unite to stand against them. The series is a must read for Star Wars fans. The cast is enormous and includes everyone in the SW Universe.

The only reason this wouldn't work now is because Star Wars Force Awakens screws any cannon from that series, completely. They couldn't do it now without announcing something ridiculous that it's from a different dimension or something.

They could still do a live action show though. I'm not sure why they haven't by now.

Because your movie concept goes to TV when it has, in some aspects, become beneath having a feature.

Knights of the old republic, which may or may not be canon anymore is significantly different than the main series and distant enough for a television spin off.

And an ongoing star wars series couldbwork. Look at the longevity of the clone wars.

Rumors suggest that The Force Awakens, and all of the merchandise associated with it, made Disney around 2.5 Billion in profit. TV shows would be cool, but would get nowhere near the return on investment. Also, I really don't mind them jettisoning the EU. It was getting way to bloated and ridiculous for my liking. I do like that they've incorporated some of the EU and modernized it. Rebels and Clone Wars have been pretty fun shows.

It's really a case of certain serials being better in movie format, and certain others in TV. The Shining movie was much better than the Shining mini-series for example.

Not everything needs to be a television show, especially when the movies are raking in the cash. It is getting to the point where there is more shows than anyone could really keep up with unless you have no job or things to do.

Not everything needs to be a television show, especially when the movies are raking in the cash. It is getting to the point where there is more shows than anyone could really keep up with unless you have no job or things to do.

I remember when i used to have endless hours to watch tv and would literally desperate to find something to fill the void. My only commitments were 2 hours of uni 3 days a week and 6 hours of soccer split over three days. I thought it was easy as fuck to fit shows in i got a girlfriend 5 months ago. I barely get in an average of two shows a day at this point

They were going to do Underworld but the budget was too much.

Underworld became quite forgettable. Adding Kate back in the mix gets the boner dollars, but I still expect it to be shit. First one was decent, rest were crap.

& Lights... having a girl to take up tv time is not a bad thing. You two watching anything good?

No I meant Star Wars: Underworld not Underworld.

I'm taking a guess that they didn't do it because the budget would have been huge, same with the cast and you would literally have to watch every episode to keep up.

The main difference other than the obvious between Star Wars and Star Trek, is that Star Trek started out on TV and moved to the big screen. Star Wars is suited better to a movie theatre. We have a huge screen TV and surround sound, but when you watch some of the older ones on DVD it doesn't come across the same somehow.

I'm taking a guess that they didn't do it because the budget would have been huge, same with the cast and you would literally have to watch every episode to keep up.

The main difference other than the obvious between Star Wars and Star Trek, is that Star Trek started out on TV and moved to the big screen. Star Wars is suited better to a movie theatre. We have a huge screen TV and surround sound, but when you watch some of the older ones on DVD it doesn't come across the same somehow.

Disney wouldn't have trouble with a big budget T.V production of a live action Star Wars series. Following the series would be no different from any other series either and they could go with a Trek route and compartmentalise most of the episodes so you'd never really be behind watching the show.

They could even take one character from the SW Universe and focus on his/her adventures. Like a dark series featuring Bobba Fett and growing into his role as a vicious bounty hunter he becomes by Empire Strikes Back.

What is SW:U ?

Working title of the TV series Lucas proposed in 2005. Would deal with the events beetween episode 3 and 4 and include Bobba Fett(never understood tht character popularity), Han, Leia, Lando and lots of other characters. It was scraped in the process and Disney doesnt have intent to pursue it.

& Lights... having a girl to take up tv time is not a bad thing. You two watching anything good?

Oh i agree its fine im more than happy to fall behind on my shows if it means i can share a bed with a woman.

We're into the 3rd season of scandal and are up to date on how to get away with murder. For the most part she likes reality tv because its trash and i just cant deal with that shit

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back