• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sports Debators' League Begins January 3, Sign Up Here

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
I came up with the idea while fondling myself in the shower. I'm going to have to limit the amount of participants to 10 with the format I have in mind. Signups will begin at the start of Smackdown tomorrow night and will run for one week or until we get to 10. If there is a huge demand for spots I'll add more but I'd prefer to cap it at about ten. If there are like 11 or 12 people wanting in I'm not going to freeze them out because they ran into traffic and couldn't sign up three minutes earlier.

In short the most important thing is that this will NOT be a heads up league. it will be far closer to the NXT Mod competition as in a topic will be made, a person will be designated as the first poster and after he/she makes their opening post it's a free for all.

Topics will be up for four days (this might change depending on the reaction to it but the point is to end this around mid-late February) and it'll be a free for all debate until the ending. The judges will grade the performance of each poster in the thread and give them a score.

I'll be using a boxing style format for the scoring. WIth 10 people in each thread (I might split that up for the sake of sanity but I'm hoping to not have to) and a lot of things being said that are the same, instead of grading everyone 1-10, I'll be having the judges select who they think are the three best posters in each thread. The best will receive 10 points, second 9 points, third 8 points and the rest 7 points apiece. This will be done to prevent someone from getting a topic they know little about and doing poorly in a thread. It isn't fair for someone to knock 8 threads out of the park but have two threads that they suck at take them out of contention.

At the end the three top points earners will move on to an additional three topics (again to prevent someone from running into one topic that screws them over). The scoring system will be the same as there will be a threshold of 7 points per person. Scores will be wiped clean once you get to the finals.

The topics will be eclectic and we'll have myself and two staff judges that I don't have selected yet. They'll be more generic with things like "Best Sports Rivalry" or "Hardest Sport to Play" etc. It'll be designed as everyone puts in their answers and debates the others. Think of this as you're sitting in a bar and debating sports with someone. Except there's no beer. And nothing good on TV. And no attractive women/men.

Anyway like I said everyone will get one topic where they get to make the opening statement and that person will be chosen at random along with a random topic. With ten (or however many people we have in this) topics, I'm going to give you two outs in the competition. Stuff happens sometimes and maybe you can't make it into a thread. That's understandable and we'll let it slide twice. If you can't get on or something that's ok and you won't be thrown out because of it. You'll get 7 points for it and we'll move on. That being siad, don't abuse this. If I see you on and bullshitting in the cage all day and you don't make any effort at all, I'll deduct points from you. At least try, even if it's something you don't know much about. Remember you're not going to get worse than 7 points so you won't be that far behind.

I think that's everything. Signups begin when SD comes on the air on the East Coast on the 17th. Oh and also if there are any Europeans that aren't incredibly familiar with American sports don't worry as we'll keep that in mind when grading you.

Any questions?

So to clarify would the questions be broad enough that someone like me, who likes sports but wouldn't know the first thing about most american sports (NFL, Baseball etc.), could participate?

EDIT: Don't worry I just noticed the last line.

We need a decent sort out of this, the problem is only America play Baseball/NFL and most of the world play "soccer" which Americans don't.

This is the reason it was given the go ahead when TM suggested the idea.

Won't be home till late tonight, but hopefully I get in cause I'm still in it to win it!

Since when do they hand out trophies for second place?

******ed Monkey says...

28689448_2ac826bb3a.jpg

Uhhhh-tuh-huh!

Well this looks interesting but I can see there being a lot of confusion. Mainly because if the Non American guys here make an arguement where they use an example from cricket or football, the american posters are gonna find it difficult to respond to it. Just the reverse could be true if an american poster mentions NFL or NBA.

I know that KB has stated that marks will be given accordingly but it won't make for a great debate if the other debators do not have much knowledge about a particular sport.

1. CH David
2. Big Sexy
3. Thriller
4. Mizter Baller
5. mrbrownstone
6. Becker
7. Noah
8. LJL
9. People's Peep
10. Rattlesnake
11. People's Champ
12. Blue Cardinal