Someone explain to me the moral-superiority exercised by pirates on the high seas

Coco

Mid-Card Championship Winner
Okay. So the television show, movie, or album you want isn't available to you legally. Or perhaps it's available to you legally, but not at a price you want to pay.

Fine. Bravo. Bully for you!

Wait, what? You weren't finish? Go on then.

Oh, you're doing a good thing by generating positive word-of-mouth for things you like?

Content creators want you to consumer their work any way you can?

If you like this, you'll by it and other work from these people in the future?

Copyright laws and distribution rights are antiquated and exploitative to artists and you refuse to adhere to them?

Oh, technology allows you to pirate, thus it's okay?

Stop. Why are you rationalizing? You pirated. You stole something. Fine. Why is it so hard for you to accept that you did a somewhat shitty thing which more-than-likely amounts to net loss to society and move on? Why are you entitled to enjoy things you haven't acquired in a legal manner? And why do you feel so self-righteous?

I don't understand my people.

I don't pirate, mostly because my wife and I earn a good living. If I want some video/music/games, I go ahead and buy it.

But it am a Pittsburgh Pirate fan.

I would become a Pirate, but I just can't stay on boats too long without getting seasick. Plus I don't really look good with an eyepatch.

It's entirely possible I'm wrong about everything. Piss-poor editing for spelling errors is working against me here.

I make a lot of money too. But I still download.

Why? Because I want what I want, and I want it now. Not when you toss it on Hulu in 18 months. Also, I hate commercials.

When every network offers their programming Ala carte I will pay whatever they would like me to, and that will be that. I happily subscribe to WWEN, NFL Sunday Ticket, Netflix, Amazon Prime and HBOGO.

Sheer convience factor, and untapped earning potential on the part of the company.

This goes mostly for tv and movies. I don't really listenjoyed to music and even if I did, most of it is readily available in on-demand format. As for video games I can't even begin how to grasp understanding how pirating video games works

When every network offers their programming Ala carte I will pay whatever they would like me to, and that will be that.
I look forward to the day when people realize that this is going to add up to more than most would pay for a fat cable package.

I especially look forward to people trying to rationalize around the fact that they're largely cheap and selfish when the day comes that nearly everything they want is fairly priced and easily available. It's the denial and weak rationalizations that kill me.

Not you, mind. I've seen in the past that you've done your best to pay where you can. I'm talking about those other people. Them.

I only pirate stuff that I can't get anywhere else.

For example I downloaded the Faith No More Live At Brixton gig, Guns N Roses Live At The Ritz and Alice In Chains Live At The Moore gig because they're not available on DVD/Blu ray and the only way to watch them is either online or VHS (I haven't had a VHS player in about 11 years).

I'm also planning on downloading the Parkway Drive/I Killed The Prom Queen split EP because there's nowhere I can get it legally. Amazon don't do an MP3 or CD version and neither does iTunes, so the only way I can get it is to download it illegally.

Apart from stuff that I can't get any other way I actually buy it now because I know these people put work and effort into making a product.

As a crime its far too tame. If I am gonna get in trouble with the Police it'll because of armed robbery, they'll probably catch me while I am committing heinous adultery with a married woman while her children look on in horror. Fuck society, it can suck my immaculate ballbag.

Also Pirating is confusing.

I look forward to the day when people realize that this is going to add up to more than most would pay for a fat cable package.

It probably will for many people. As for me, I watch very little TV so it wont be any sweat off me. Shit, it would be even better yet if when this does happen (because it will) if the different services offered individual shows themselves pay per play.

Is it still stealing if I pay for said channels on cable but still DL the episodes of the shows I want available to me on-demand?

Because it mostly consists of that.

I

I especially look forward to people trying to rationalize around the fact that they're largely cheap and selfish when the day comes that nearly everything they want is fairly priced and easily available. It's the denial and weak rationalizations that kill me.

I know a few of them.

Not you, mind. I've seen in the past that you've done your best to pay where you can. I'm talking about those other people. Them.

Now that I think of it, virtually nothing I download isn't broadcasted on something I already pay for. I just want it when and how I want it, not at its regular broadcast time and with commercials.

Is it still stealing if I pay for said channels on cable but still DL the episodes of the shows I want available to me on-demand?

If you love a certain show then I think it's also important to DVR it and just hit play on it within the next day so you contribute a rating for it.

I too prefer to DL TV shows and watch them on the computer, but like Norcs it's with channels I already subscribe to and like I just pointed out I also try to give it a rating by DVRing it and playing it back.

With movies and wrestling though, I 100% always pay, especially now with the WWE Network.

However, UFC/Boxing pay-per-views are a different story. I also have a program or two on my computer that I didn't pay for, both of which I feel kind of bad about. UFC/Boxing though I don't feel bad at all.... that shit is highway robbery.

Rage against the machine is pretty cool in a third world kind of way and people want to be Zack de la Rocha. Who can blame them?

Apart from stuff that I can't get any other way I actually buy it now because I know these people put work and effort into making a product.

Relating to my previous point I want to get the Korn remix of Rihanna's Bitch Better Have My Money. Can't find it on iTunes or anywhere so I have to download it illegally. If it was available on iTunes or somewhere I would gladly pay for it.

I'm not a pirate, personally. I'm a mounted unit anyway and I'm not sacrificing the extra movement and lack of terrain penalties when all I would get is +20 avoid on very specific map tiles.

Okay. So the television show, movie, or album you want isn't available to you legally. Or perhaps it's available to you legally, but not at a price you want to pay.

Fine. Bravo. Bully for you!

Wait, what? You weren't finish? Go on then.

Oh, you're doing a good thing by generating positive word-of-mouth for things you like?

Content creators want you to consumer their work any way you can?

If you like this, you'll by it and other work from these people in the future?

Copyright laws and distribution rights are antiquated and exploitative to artists and you refuse to adhere to them?

Oh, technology allows you to pirate, thus it's okay?

Stop. Why are you rationalizing? You pirated. You stole something. Fine. Why is it so hard for you to accept that you did a somewhat shitty thing which more-than-likely amounts to net loss to society and move on? Why are you entitled to enjoy things you haven't acquired in a legal manner? And why do you feel so self-righteous?

I don't understand my people.

Arrrr! Them movies, TV shows, and video games have been in my family for generations. I'm just taking them back. Seriously though people can find moral justification for anything they do. They might say "Durrr it's the company's fault for making me want it so much" or "Well I would buy it legally but 27 ninjas with uzis stopped me from getting to Gamestop." or "Wall street fatcat record label execs or the studios make billions of dollars anyway what's downloading a few movies or a whole damn TV series? Down with the one percenters! Check Your Privilege!"

Some on the other hand don't even bother with some moral justification and say "Fuck morals! I pirate stuff because it's there to be plundered. ARRRRR!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back