• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

So much for elevating the Intercontinental Title

Ultimate Randy Savage Fan

Dark Match Jobber
So much for elevating the Intercontinental leading into Wrestlemania 31. What we have at the moment is a comedy angle with the I.C Title being "stolen" by a different superstar every week leading to a ladder match for the belt which will just be nothing more than a spot-fest

I never liked these 'stealing' storylines and never will. These type of storylines are nothing better than bullshit. Why participate in a match if we can already have the title in our hands? I never get these storylines. On one hand, they want the title by getting a match and on the other hand, they keep stealing the title. They also know that stealing won't do anything good for them. They definitely NEED to get their ass kicked to achieve the title. Still, they keep stealing for no reason. Though, IC title needed some elevation which it is getting. I should have been okay with 6 participants but 8 is also good. 8 participants are good to have an awesome ladder match. Remember, last year at MITB what a great match for the MITB Briefcase. Hopefully, they should deliver yet again and they should turn this IC Title ladder match into an annual event.

The IC title is going to be on WrestleMania in a match featuring several high profile superstars.

This HEAVILY elevates the belt, though I agree it had been done in the dumbest possible way.

Its so starved for any sort of shine or credibility though, ill take it.

While the constant stealing is funny, it's because so many superstars "want it"...

It's actually more relevant right now than it has been in a long time...

You're going to have a WrestleMania match for that belt featuring guys who recently headlined PPV's plus other solid wrestlers in terms of in-ring abilities. R-Truth is in it purely for comedy but it's a match that should certainly be entertaining... and...

whoever wins, will be a good champion and compete in great matches for a while

The IC title is going to be on WrestleMania in a match featuring several high profile superstars.

This HEAVILY elevates the belt, though I agree it had been done in the dumbest possible way.

Its so starved for any sort of shine or credibility though, ill take it.

Agreed, having some of those names competing for the Intercontinental Title at a WrestleMania in something as spectacular as a Ladder match is a big deal, and makes the title seem like a big deal again- unlike previous years where IT HASN'T EVEN BEEN DEFENDED ON THE WRESTLEMANIA CARD! (which is incredible to me!)

However, 8 guys does seem a bit of overkill- there was no need to add R-Truth or Stardust to the match- a couple fewer superstars would allow more focus to be placed on valid contenders like Ambrose, Bryan, Ziggler and Barrett.

I don't really like the "Stealing" of the title either, but at least it's something and makes it appear like the talent cares about the IC title, so as NorCal said- 'I'll take it!".

I expect a really entertaining match though, I'd be shocked if this didn't send the crowd into a frenzy with some of the action we we see!

While I don't like the crap they're doing with R-Truth running around like a clown, the match itself is an POSSIBLE indicator of better things ahead for the Intercontinental Championship. Nothing is guaranteed with Vince McMahon's creative calls these days. This match is easily the most relevant and anticipated Intercontinental Championship match of WrestleMania in the last 15 years. Intercontinental Champions for WrestleMania since 2001 have been relegated to defending their titles on the main card in 6 minute matches, matches that take place on the WrestleMania pre-show or featured the champ in the some sort of multi-man match like the MITB ladder matches or a battle royal.

Generally speaking, the Intercontinental Championship ladder match feels more significant than the WWE World Heavyweight Championship match. I feel that they could've gone a much different route in terms of building things for this match, adding more intensity instead of other guys stealing the title left & right. However, that doesn't really bother me all that much as what really gets my goat is jobbing Wade Barrett out left & right. All in all, however, it's still loads better than anything we've had for the IC title during WrestleMania season since I was in my early 20s.

I think the match should be highly entertaining, we haven't had a ladder match at WrestleMania in quite a while and this is the next best thing to the return of a Money in the Bank ladder match. Hell, maybe this could be a prelude to it being brought back next year. Ambrose & Bryan are the clear favorites to win and, personally, I'm just fine with either of them as they have the best chance of being booked to look like strong & relevant champions. If Barrett retains, it'll bring down the overall feel of the match because Barrett's DOA as Intercontinental Champion.

What are you talking about!? The Intercontinental Championship Title Belt is going to be elevated at WrestleMania 31…15 ft. high above the center of the ring. HAHA!!

Seriously though, it is being elevated. There will be not 1, not 2, but 3 former World Champions (I count R-Truth as a former World Champion). There will be not 1, but 2 former Intercontinental Champions (hopefully 3, if Goldust gets in at the last minute). There will be a former United States Champion. Last but not least, but maybe least, there will be the first ever NXT winner, and current Intercontinental Champion, Wade Barrett. This might be the biggest Intercontinental Championship Title match in WWE history, if not the greatest.

The build itself has been better than the 3 main events. At least all of the competitors are present. I hope this is the first step to unifying the Intercontinental and United States Championship Titles.

It's been fantastic, very fun storyline with a very simplistic story. Everyone wants to be the IC champion...period.

Stealing the title is only a symbol of the desire to be the actual champion. Everyone in the match sans R Truth is a former/current IC Champion, two of the 6/8 are world champions.

For "smart" fans some people truly are stupid or it's just another one of those times where people are perpetually unsatisfied.

Well, I mean it is gonna be an awesome match and the winner can't do anything but gain fanfare, but yeah, the stealing storyline is stupid. That why they have Adam Rose, Bo Dallas, and Santino, to be funny, so please use the comedy jobbers to be funny, not the upper echelon of mid card talent.
And it really looks like Barrett is being buried, he keeps losing his matches, I haven't heard him use his catchphrase much lately and they won't even let him carry his title. He's been injured so frequently, looks like they mat be getting ready to let him go or put him somewhere were he sees a lot less action, but that's all just a guess.

Well when your main event at your biggest show of the year is crap, you have to do something to take the focus off it. This stealing of the title is hilarious and is proving that others want it.

It's getting the perfect build, and should prove to be the match of the night, if everyone does their part. Right now I have no idea who is going to win, but I'm hoping for Ambrose to walk away with it.

So what if it is a comedy bit? Truth be told, it is a lot better than watching Dean Ambrose and Bad News Barrett slug it out for the Intercontinental Championship. In fact, the Intercontinental Championship match is one of the matches on the card that I am most looking forward to. Given that this match will be this year's answer to Money In The Bank, I think it definitely has the potential to surprise everyone and be a match of the night candidate. I also think that enough entertaining and high profile stars are in the match that it will be genuinely interesting to see who comes out on top.

As for elevating the belt, I think this match ought to do a good enough job of that. To be honest, when you're elevating this type of belt, it matters more about the destination and not the journey. The Intercontinental Championship is going to look like a big deal after that match. And that is especially true for the causal fans who will attend WrestleMania. Like I pointed out, this match could steal the show with the right time and effort.

So much for elevating the Intercontinental leading into Wrestlemania 31. What we have at the moment is a comedy angle with the I.C Title being "stolen" by a different superstar every week leading to a ladder match for the belt which will just be nothing more than a spot-fest

I don't like the stealing of the title but I love the idea that more than one wrestler besides the champion desires the IC title. I wish BNB come out of WM as champion, BNB never has been booked to be a dominant IC champion. With all these losses he suffered in recent weeks, this would be huge for him and the title's prestige.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back