So I just bought a PS4- suggestions?

Bagpipes

Top Guys Out
Finally broke down and took the plunge to purchase a PS4, picking it up at the store later today. My hand was forced into buying the Call of Duty Black Ops III bundle, even though I'm not a huge fan of the CoD games, I had a gift card for the store and couldn't pass up saving a hundred bills on the purchase.

I've heard great things about the console, graphically and otherwise, and I'm looking forward into setting it up, but am looking for suggestions on a few games to pick up.

I'd call myself a casual gamer- I play much more during the winter months than spring or summer for obvious reasons in the northeast US. I like sports games, RPGs, even some first person shooters- but I don't usually play online because I don't enjoy dying four times in 2 minutes. So I'll buy those types of games for the single player story mode and probably trade it in on something else after I finish that and dick around with other modes a bit.

I had GTA 5, NBA 2K16, The Last of Us and Madden for PS3 so I probably won't double dip and buy those again. Obviously, I plan on picking up WWE 2K16 at some point as well.

I've heard great things about the re-released Uncharted series, anyone played that? Also open to other suggestions.

I bought mine last weekend, & got the COD Black ops 3 Bundle as well, but traded in Black Ops 3 immediately & then picked up Evolve & Arkham Knight, & Star Wars Battlefront. So far the only game I've played is Battlefront. I'll probably give at least one of the other two games a whirl this weekend. If I were you I'd download the beta for The Division, as I've played that a little bit as well, & have enjoyed it thus far.

Yeah I'm leaning toward trading in CoD as soon as I get it as well, I just can't get into the futuristic chaos FPS style. Give me some good old stealth missions and sniping terrorists from a rooftop, I really have no interest in shooting at robots.

Haven't heard of The Division, what kind of game is that?

Some the indie games on the PSN are pretty cool. Also, if you're into racing games, Project CARS is pretty cool. Not spectacular, but cool. I recently bought Rock Band 4, and it uses the same instruments that PS3 used, if you're into those kinds of games.

The games I've been playing the most recently is the Final Fantasy VII port available on the PSN, so I don't know that I'm the best person to ask about new games for it.

Thanks BB, I'll probably browse around the PSN once I get set up and see if anything peaks my interest. I may look into that racing game, those are always fun to have around to play at leisure.

Never really got into the Rock Band games so I can't really comment on that, and I've honestly never played a Final Fantasy game on any system. Always meant to try to get into them, just never took the initiative. Laziness or fear of the unknown I guess.

Haven't heard of The Division, what kind of game is that?

They're calling it a open world third-person shooter role-playing video game with survival elements. It's a Tom Clancy game, with a lot of running for cover & shooting from behind buildings & walls & shit in a near future world where society is starting to collapse.

They're calling it a open world third-person shooter role-playing video game with survival elements. It's a Tom Clancy game, with a lot of running for cover & shooting from behind buildings & walls & shit in a near future world where society is starting to collapse.

Interesting. That sounds pretty cool. I imagine there's gameplay shit on YouTube of it already. I was into the Metal Gear Solid games back in the PS2 days.

Probably, plus it's a free beta so if it's not your kinda thing just delete it & move on with your day

If your into baseball, investing in a version of MLB The Show could be worth it. The good thing is once the game stops offering them you can probably find updated rosters to download if you want to and not spend the money for a new version.

Also I know you said you wouldn't wanna double dip on Madden but if so save some money and get an older version and again if you want it, just find an updated roster to download.

I got a Back To The Future game for Christmas but have yet to play it so don't know how it is, looks alright though.

Madden and NBA2K16 are worlds apart between the consoles.

You can do so much more in GM Mode in NBA. Of course if you don't care about team relocation and that sort of stuff then yeah I could see not buying it again. Especially when a new one will be coming out in the summer or fall.

The presentation looks a lot better on next gen in Madden and they changed things to help with scouting and weekly goals and such. Pretty much all changes that didn't come to PS3. But again if you're going to get the new one this year then it isn't worth buying.

MLB The Show is good and NHL added some new features to next gen.

You'll have to let me know what that Back to the Future game is like, R. I'm a big fan of the movies, game versions are intriguing to me.

I mainly played the My Career mode in NBA2K16, I think I made it through 3 complete seasons before I got the ps4 yesterday. At this point though, I'll probably just hold off for 2K17 to come out.

I may never even buy another Madden game, I find myself losing interest in them after playing a season or 2. Even the stuff they added to it this year was pretty underwhelming I though. I'm sure the graphics are sick though on the next gen.

Battlefront is terrific. Highly recommended.

Some older titles worth checking out are Shadow of Mordor and AC: Black Flag

Battlefront is terrific. Highly recommended.

Some older titles worth checking out are Shadow of Mordor and AC: Black Flag

I can't really get too excited about sci fi type games like Star Wars, might be more of a rental option than a purchase for me.

As for the AC game, do you need exposure to the previous installments in the series to understand the story or is each game pretty stand-alone?

I can't really get too excited about sci fi type games like Star Wars, might be more of a rental option than a purchase for me.

As for the AC game, do you need exposure to the previous installments in the series to understand the story or is each game pretty stand-alone?

It's completely enjoyable without any experience from the other installments. Great game and pretty cheap now because it's two years old with newer games in the series now out.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the only PS exclusive that I think is really worth playing: The Last of Us. Great game with phenomenal graphics, challenging but fair gameplay, and a fantastic story.

Some of these liars may tell you to play the Uncharted series, but you should not believe their lies. They just want to trick you into play an adolescent video game that lacks substance.

Just kidding. While I don't particularly care for Uncharted, the games are wildly popular and it's quite possible that you'd enjoy playing it.

If you're into online multiplayer games, might I suggest Rainbow Six: Siege? It's small maps and teams, but very tactical and unlike games like Battlefield, Battlefront, or COD, it requires teamwork to win. It's kind of like the FPS version of DOTA, which I think is pretty cool.

Farcry Primal looks fun but I am an Ark fanboy and it is the closest that PS is going to get to Ark before full release.

I would also suggest Mortal Kombat XL

I didn't see anyone recommend it as I was skimming, Until Dawn. Its a spooky scary game with a great story. I'm normally a bitch when it comes to horror games, but Until Dawn is too good to pass up. One of the reasons I bought a PS4.

Thanks for the suggestions. I had The Last of Us for PS3, definitely a real solid game. I'm playing through the Uncharted 3-pack now on PS4, just finished the Drake's Fortune last night. I'm enjoying it, really good looking game, especially since it's a PS3 remastered release. Can't wait to see what Uncharted 4 looks like when it comes out in a few weeks.

Yaz, I think I will check out Until Dawn, I can usually enjoy any game with a good story.

Played through the first Uncharted game (Drake's Fortune) over the weekend, really enjoyed that. Also digging WWE 2K16 so far. Got a pretty good Pentagon Jr. CAW that I started a career with, move set and entrance needed some major tweaking but that was pretty fun.

Only gripe I have with the PS4 so far is that the controller life from full charge to prompting you to charge seems sufficiently shorter than PS3. Anyone else notice that?

Controller life is slightly shittier than the PS3 but in reality, you shouldn't be playing long.

I bought Last of Us Remastered & GTA 5 for a second time when I made the switch. I've never regretted that decision. Last of Us is a necessity for any video gamer & GTA 5 has never charged for DLC and they've given us so much. Plus, 1st Person view is amazing. Everything you've ever done in GTA can be replicated and enjoyed again just by switching to 1st Person.

Shadow of Mordor is probably the game I'd spend my money on without hesitation. Dragon Age & Metal Gear Solid are good franchises as a back-up, I guess.

The Division is apparently the new thing going. I'm a hardcore Destiny player so if you've played Destiny, you'll probably like the Division.

Don't touch Assassins Creed. Once you've played 2 or its derivatives, you've played them all.

Battlefront is fun with a shit load of friends. Otherwise, it's a 30 minute game. Better off getting Call of Duty.

Rocket League. Buy Rocket League. Get Rocket League. Play Rocket League. Love Rocket League.

Also, Minecraft & Journey. Especially Journey.

I keep my controller plugged in most of the time, but I have noticed that between my Xbone controller and my PS4 controller, the battery on the PS4 is considerably less.

Gotta think that stupid status light on the back of the controller has a lot to do with the decrease in battery life.

So Falk, should I get Rocket League?

I never played Destiny, but I've seen a good bit of reviews/gameplay videos of The Division, it looks alright but I don't know that I'll rush out to get it as soon as it comes out.

I may just get GTA V again eventually, those games are so good, even just for fucking around killing time when you have nothing better to do. And I'm interested to see how the 1st person POV changes the experience.

Rocket league.
250 hours of remote control rocket car indoor soccer doesn't lie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back