Smackdown The ''A'' Show

Y 2 Jake

Slightly Autistic
In my opinion it always has been. But does anyone else think it's getting a lot more exposure as of late? Smackdown have headlined the past 3 PPVs. Which is great, and something I didn't think I'd see again. Maybe it's because HHH is playing mid carder for a while.

Now I'm not honestly expecting it to be pushed as the better brand. Raw is the main brand and always will be. But I do expect it to become the wrestling brand again. Just like it was at the beginning of the brand split.

With JBL not making his return on Smackdown, and Batista apparently going to Raw. Viscera, Henry & Khali firmly mid card. I think this is when it's going to become the wrestling show that it was before. Raw has plenty of entertaining wrestlers, but Smackdown has a few more technical. None of the names are as big, but that's unimportant as both ECW & Smackdown swap talent now.

I know what you're saying.
RAW is the "A Brand" because of the Entertainment part and SmackDown is the "A Brand" because of the Wrestling.
In my eyes RAW is the A Brand all over because I would rather watch more Entertainment than Wrestling. SmackDown bores me with all the technical moves!

In my opinion it always has been. But does anyone else think it's getting a lot more exposure as of late? Smackdown have headlined the past 3 PPVs. Which is great, and something I didn't think I'd see again. Maybe it's because HHH is playing mid carder for a while.

Now I'm not honestly expecting it to be pushed as the better brand. Raw is the main brand and always will be. But I do expect it to become the wrestling brand again. Just like it was at the beginning of the brand split.

With JBL not making his return on Smackdown, and Batista apparently going to Raw. Viscera, Henry & Khali firmly mid card. I think this is when it's going to become the wrestling show that it was before. Raw has plenty of entertaining wrestlers, but Smackdown has a few more technical. None of the names are as big, but that's unimportant as both ECW & Smackdown swap talent now.

I think Smackdown is the quality "A" show as it regards talent. Especially with E.C.W. & Smackdown swapping out talent to each other. Sometimes I wonder if two hours is becoming too much for them, however.

I find myself bored while watching Smackdown during selective matches. But then again, its normally matches with Khali v. Hornswoggle or Finlay.. because one of the two elements involved isn't really an athletic performer, so much as a side-show act.

I love Edge being the World Champion on Smackdown, & with talent such as M.V.P., Rey Mysterio, the entire cruiserweight division & then the E.C.W. talent that comes over.. Smackdown is definately the better wrestling show. However, E.C.W. to me is a great capper show in the regard of being quick & easy.

Think about it.. I've seen as many as 4 matches, if not more, on an E.C.W. one hour show.. & sometimes I've seen as few as 4 matches on a two hour episode of Raw. I LOVE segments, & interviews & promos that lead somewhere.. don't get me wrong, but whats the point in calling yourself a "wrestling" show, when you don't actually have any?!

I know what you're saying.
RAW is the "A Brand" because of the Entertainment part and SmackDown is the "A Brand" because of the Wrestling.
In my eyes RAW is the A Brand all over because I would rather watch more Entertainment than Wrestling. SmackDown bores me with all the technical moves!

Then it sounds to me like you aren't a wrestling fan. More so, a soap opera fanatic from the male side of things.

Raw is definately the best show when it comes to promos & building feuds through segments. Smackdown is by far the lead show when it comes to wrestling matches, & pure talent matches. E.C.W. deserves some love for being a 1A. type of show, considering its more or less a 3rd hour of Smackdown.. or the first hour, of a 3 hour day-delay?

I've been thinking this for a while. I've always like Smackdown! over Raw because the wrestling was always so much better than it's monday night counterpart.

I've always seen Raw as being the bread crumbs that lead people to the cake which is Smackdown!: a lot more entertainment to bring in the new fans and children alike, leading up to people watching Smackdown! and enjoying the wrestling that they put out.

me ok here us my opinion i think smackdown by far is better than raw.
i find myself addicted to it I mean i always go to sleep on it cant remember the last time I watched the entire show wrestling is boring and wayyy to many non wrestling segmnts for my taste.

But smackdown i make sure i never missed that. I dominated raw 03-05 and i find myself jumping around threw the excitement and chaos of it personally i like smkdown over raw but it does lack main eventers.

Eh, I like the live show and "anything can happen" feeling that RAW brings. If anything big in WWE is going down, it's going to happen on RAW.

I actually like some of things that a taped show can bring. I don't think the piping in of crowd heat is a bad thing. Not to mention the ability to reshoot match finishes and try to cover-up botched spots with camera trickery. Makes me wish they would send all of the "Divas" over to Smackdown.

That being said, the Jamie Noble/Michelle McCool storyline is my favorite thing in all of WWE right now.

Eh, I like the live show and "anything can happen" feeling that RAW brings. If anything big in WWE is going down, it's going to happen on RAW.

Well, just to clearify, Smackdown & E.C.W. can have the "anything can happen" feeling as well.. if you simply don't read the spoilers. If you think about it, C.M. Punk beat John Morrison to win the E.C.W. Championship on E.C.W. on ScFi..

And Edge defeated the Undertaker, cashing in the Money in the Bank to win the World Championship on Smackdown. Both are "big time moments" as long as you didn't read the spoiler, *(or in the Edge case - watch E.C.W.) to find out before hand.

I actually like some of things that a taped show can bring. I don't think the piping in of crowd heat is a bad thing. Not to mention the ability to reshoot match finishes and try to cover-up botched spots with camera trickery. Makes me wish they would send all of the "Divas" over to Smackdown.

That being said, the Jamie Noble/Michelle McCool storyline is my favorite thing in all of WWE right now.

You have a point with the camera trickery, but whats the point in watching anything if you don't add in the realism that is live t.v.? Meaning why edit stuff & redo it, you can sometimes if not all but always tell when its redone, or angled differently.

Also, I agree the Noble/McCool storyline is awesome.. but I wish they'd of got another diva than McCool. I suppose if it came down to her or Torrie, they may as well go with the one thats never done the storyline, than the one thats repeatedly done it in the past.

(by that - it reminds me of when Torrie was with Tajiri)

Yeh i agree with most of you in saying that Raw is the better Entertaining show with the promos, better superstars ect. But Smackdown is better because of the Wrestling side of it. I have began watching Smackdown a hell a lot more because of the wrestling and thats how it should be. Raw is the better show but sometimes they only have 3 matches in the 2 hours it is on tv and that is a joke. There has to be some wrestling and that is what Smackdown provides. And plus with the ECW and Smackdown talent exchange, it makes for better feuds and wrestling matches. Overall, Raw is the A show because its live, has better wrestlers, but when it comes to wrestling, Smackdown is a hell a lot better. I say in a few years Smackdown may be the A show, the way its heading, but for now Raw is the A show just because it gets more exposure.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that UPN is in more homes than USA is, but I guess that doesn't really matter for argument sake.

Smackdown has always been the more enjoyable of the two shows over all since the Brand Extension. As jake said, it focused more on the wrestling and less on the goofiness. As far as the shock and awe of Smackdown compared to Raw, don't read the spoilers and you'll be fine.

I've always felt that Smackdown had the better champions in my opinion, with the exception of Khali and Batista. The US title has more prestige then the Intercontinental, and currently the WHC is more valuable then the WWE title.

In 2003 you had shit feuds on raw centered around Triple H and his enormous ego. You got to see Trips burying wonderful guys like Scott Steiner, Booker T, and Goldberg. While on smackdown you had matches like Angle vs. Benoit, Brock vs. Angle all throughout the year. Hell even the Big Show got some decent in ring work.

Smackdown has always been the place where the young talent thrives. Now is that due to it being edited to make them look and cut promos better, maybe. I take Kennedy and Cena as prime examples of guys that lost a little something when they jumped brands.

Smackdown this year and in the coming year looks to be the better feud. Triple H is going to milk the Evolution cow one more time and either put himself in the main event against Orton or Batista at Wrestlemania, while Smackdown will have a fresh feud in Taker vs. Edge. Raw will keep going with another meaningless IC title reign from Jeff Hardy, while people will watch a true star in MVP on Smackdown.

Smackdown is much better then Raw.

RAW has been pushed as the A show Smackdown as the B show but i think that Smackdown has always had more wrestling in it and been more of a refined show, I considered it more enjoyable at one point also. I mean all RAW had was Cena dominating the show and HHH dominating, while Smackdown had Rey being champ Taker getting the championship

For that small time that Batista was injured Smackdown was just a better show overall i mean it didnt have the big skits or 15 min long non wrestling parts, but most of the entertainment stuff on RAW was frankly crap.

I mean lets compare champions il take 2 from RAW at a date and then compare them with the Smackdown champs of the time.
01-08-06 Edge became WWE Champion
01-10-06 Kurt Angle became World heavyweight Champion

before
09-12-04 Triple H became World heavyweight Champion again
06-27-04 JBL became WWE Champion

okay bad examples as HHH and JBL held the title for too long but you get the idea that Smackdown has had more quality Champs and changed hand a lot more suggesting that the talent is a lot better

I always liked the Smackdown guys better they have had Mysterio and Taker where as Raw usually just has the big old ones like HHH and Shawn Michaels

Hasn't Smackdown won the Royal Rumble since Benoit won it anyway? I think that was way back in 2004.

O yeah i forgot to mention raw burys talent too.

Example:kennedy king Booker and cena Highflyers

kennedy- was the man on Smackdown he probably would have been the future of it if he was never drafted now im getting bored of him his feuds are shit now his future to me is starting to look bleake I mean there trying to save him but I just dont know about him ever main eventing in the 0`s maybe in the 10`s but not anytime soon.

King Booker-was being jobbed before he left but as in big time feuds in SD

London and kendrick- cmon now everyone knows they are totally getting screwed they were the top tag team guys to beat on SD now look at them good talent being wasted

jillian-o my god a good gimmick and wrestler trashed man o man.

overall SD is where you want to be in order to be successful.

While Raw will always be the crown jewel of the WWE. Smackdown is just as enjoyable to watch. I mean on SD u got guys lyk Edge, MVP, Undertaker, Batista, Matt Hardy and many more.

Raw is mainly just about angles and storylines, but Smackdown has a bit of everythings eg, good storylines, good weekly matches and good PPV matches.

I watch both shows everyweek. Some weeks Raw will be better than Smackdown and other weeks vice versa. They are equal in my eyes because both shows have their good weeks and their bad weeks.

BUT FOR GOD SAKE VINCE GIVE SMACKDOWN MORE MAIN EVENTERS!!!!

:dark2: :dark2: Raw is the main brand of sports entertainment but that should be ignored. Sure they could have some 3 hour specails on raw but it really shouldnt steal off from smackdown because its the main brand.

Smackdown in my eyes was the "A" show for 4 years (2002-2006) and it always been a mix of wrestling and segments/promos which is my favourite type of show. SD has always been like this but the problem is that it lacks main eventers. Right now all it has is Myterio, taker, batista and edge. So currently i think both shows are almost equall as raw has a slight advantage since it is a pretty stacked roster.

I think RAW can top out higher, in terms of quality, but on average, Smackdown is just better. The 3 hour special anniversary show was the best RAW I've seen since I started watching the product again and the RAW where they brought back DX and Steve Austin was also good. But those followed some pretty abysmal shows.

Smackdown can't top RAW's best but RAW doesn't often go to that level. Smackdown has some very talented guys like MVP, Jamie Noble (he's good) Mysterio, Undertaker, Kane, and Edge.

RAW has some talent, too. They do have Jeff Hardy, whose still in his prime and he is just amazing. They have Randy Orton whose also pretty good. Although aging, HHH and HBK can still go.

Both shows have talent but really Smackdown focuses more on the wrestling than the entertainment and at the end of the day, thats what I tuned in to watch. When McMahon feels like it, RAW can put on a very good wrestling show.... Sadly it's not often he feels like it, it seems.

The problem with Raw right now is that it's being dominated by Vince, Triple H and HBK. Within 2 hours, you're gaurenteed to see the 3 of them at least a dozen times.....which leaves guys that could be on the show (like the tag champs for instence) to wrestle on Heat, which is an ONLINE show.

SmackDown! is starting down that path as well, unfortunately....with the whole Edge/Vickie thing. However, there are still guys like MVP that actually make the show worth watching.

McMahon needs to be taken off tv, and the DXers need to beome the Undertaker of Raw, and be used sparringly. If those two things were to happen, I believe that Raw could definitely return to it's former glory.

Raw is definetely the A show in WWE's mind, but i think that the writing is better on Smackdown!, I also think that the talent on Smackdown is just as good as Raw. I think they are both A shows, neither is better than the other.

Even though The Undertaker & Edge wrestle on Smackdown, I've still liked RAW over Smackdown, Although i have started watching Smackdown again as of late.

Just look at the last Draft, Raw really gained some top superstars, Too bad Booker T and Lashley left the company though.

Even though The Undertaker & Edge wrestle on Smackdown, I've still liked RAW over Smackdown, Although i have started watching Smackdown again as of late.

Just look at the last Draft, Raw really gained some top superstars, Too bad Booker T and Lashley left the company though.

im the same way..sometimes ive forgotten smackdown was even on...plus as a girl, the better divas are on raw (except ashley and maria: but at least maria's gimmick can be funny, unlike those boring bland girls(mccool) on smackdown..the only good one theyve got is victoria)..plus raw is just more amusing to watch and more exciting...if theres a draft hopefully edge will come and reteam with orton

i may not be in the majority here, but i definitely thing Smackdown is the better show, and i have always thought it was the better show. there always is that khali vs hornswaggle-type match, but besides that the rest of the show can be counted on to be pretty solid. edge and taker are more entertaining than anything on raw. at one point, around the time of the MITB 07, smackdown had in insane midcard...kennedy, mvp, matt hardy, finley, booker...and even now, SD has a great midcard. its clear the u.s. title is way more prestigious than the IC title at this point.

basically Conspicuous Asparagus is right on the money

I just record RAw and just skip most of the rubbish in it but I'm only left with something like 15-20 mins of good stuff to watch. When I watching SD! I can watch it from start to finish. The problem with RAW is that HHH, HBK and Vince are in it too much. Its like the bookers think that people just watch RAW for them. I would like to see Harry Smith or Super Crazy over these guys. Normally I have to watch Heat for these guys.

SD! have alot of younger wrestlers plus you do get the feeling that the wrestlers care about the product where on RAW they just turn up to wrestle.

The only good thing about Smackdown is MVP, Edge, Jimmy Wang Yang and Shannon Moore. I like smackdown, but is time, but does Smackdown needs some mid-card faces. Too many heels on Smackdown, but the wrestling is good except for last week as the Edgeheads really killed the show. I think Smackdown needs to be the show it was back when Cena was on the show, as it was funny, edgey and cool. Now it's kind of plane. I mean what is the point of Batista coming to the ring, fireworks, pose and saw, I going to win the Elimanation Chamber. 5 minutes of time wasted. Smackdown isn't better than Raw, as I say that because Raw is live, but the best Smackdown was, was when Cena was on the show and heyman was writing.

Smackdown was the "A" show imo when they had Lesnar and Angle through 2002-2004.Now just much as i hate to admit it RAW is the A show by far they have the most star power and when ever a star gets created on Smackdown, RAW steals them in the draft.Mr.Kennedy,Cena,King Booker,Londrick, and Carlito all being examples.

OK, while Smackdown has had it's glory days in the past, it has never been, nor will it ever be, the "A" show of the WWE. And the reason for that is simply because RAW was the first, and RAW is Vince's "baby". That's why he spends a majority of his time on it. Well, that and also his enormously over sized idiotic ego. If you listen to any mainstream news reports about the WWE, RAW is ALWAYS referred to as "The Flagship Show" of the company, which means that RAW leads the way, and RAW comes first. That's why any stars who develope on Smackdown, such as Cena, Kennedy, Carlito, etc. , eventually are taken to RAW, just like a pitcher being called up from the minors to the majors in Baseball. It has been, and always will be that way. :dark2:

For the time it was at top, the only reason was because John Cena was out of the picture, and that Batista vs. Undertaker came with something extra, or a lack of compitition. At Cyber Sunday it was Austin being the Special Guest Referee, at the Survivor Series it was Hell In A Cell, and at Armageddon they were only going up against a match that would have never headlined the PPV in Randy Orton vs. Chris Jericho. To call Smackdown the 'A' show because of this is in my mind a very poor analysis.

Right now Smackdown is going into Wrestlemania with the most traditional match up. The Undertaker vs. Edge will no doubt go down in the history books, but it won't be headlining the PPV with Triple H and John Cena on the card.

The show itself is so obviously below Raw it's not funny. You got a guy who's been in the main event scene for two years as the champion along with his two proteges (Major Brother 1, and Major Brother 2), and his 'wife to be' Vickie. He'll be in a match which is probably only at the level it's in at Wrestlemania because of the oponent, The Undertaker. While on Raw you have the 12 time champion Triple H, WWE's current house hold name John Cena, and the youngest World Champion of all time Randy Orton all going against eachother for the near half a century old WWE Championship; and argueably the greatest Wrestler of all time in Ric Flair, going up against argueably the greatest performer in wrestling of all time in Shawn Michaels.

If you still think that Smackdown is the 'A' show with that leading into Wrestlemania, then you obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back