• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Slyfox faces tough ethical dilema, fights with computer geekdom

Slyfox696

Excellence of Execution
So I went to Barnes and Noble tonight to do some studying (related thread coming soon) and afterwards decided to rent the first few episodes of Dexter, Season 4. I drive over to Hastings, pick up Discs 1 and 2 and proceed to the checkout. At the checkout, the minimum wage earning CM Punk wanna-be who is checking me out (not that way, you ******) informs me that TV shows are 2 for the price of 1, which is $1. Hastings also has a program where if you return DVDs after only one day, you get half your money back in credit. This lead me to an interesting idea.

There are 4 discs in Dexter, Season 4. Each set of 2 costs $1, with $.50 credit for an early return. Essentially, I could watch Dexter, Season 4 for a grand total of $1. This is where the ethical dilemma kicks in.

It occurs to me that I could rip and burn the entire season of Dexter, and own the entire season for a grand total of $1. However, I'm sure many of you know how I'm opposed to acquiring things illegally, for a variety of reasons. To be honest, I probably wouldn't even watch the ripped DVDs after I've seen the episode once, but the idea I can watch an entire season collection, currently priced at $34.95 before tax, for the cost of a fountain soda intrigues me greatly. Imagine how much fun it would be to tell people how I own the entire season for a $1, and then get to explain how chance and my immense knowledge of technology provided me the opportunity to do so. It would be wonderful.

What saved me from violating my ethics? As I was contemplating this wonderful idea, and weighing it against going opposite my beliefs, a disastrous thought struck me...in order to burn these videos, I'll have to use my blank DVDs. I buy blank DVDs so I can put computer tools or even full operating systems onto various computers for various reasons. I decided my blank DVDs for Linux based operating systems was simply more important than owning Dexter, Season 4 for $1.

Ladies and Gentleman, let it never be said that being a computer geek cannot improve your life. I can now buy one more fountain soda, and continue to install operating systems, all without suffering the guilt of violating my ethics. The world can be at peace once more.

If you had done the illegal thing, I would have lost hope and gone to illegal downloading. I've been doing my part to actually make purchases, preferably whole albums from artists when I'm at the store.

Thank you, Sly.

The post should have ended with you finding a horrible person who owns the Season 4 DVD. You kill the person and take the DVD.

Ethics maintained.

Where does your immense knowledge of computers come in? Knowing how to rip fotage from a DVD. Wow, you must have handbreak or something.

That's not to say, of course, that you don't have a massive amount of computer knowledge, but this feat is particularly unimpressive.

Where does your immense knowledge of computers come in? Knowing how to rip fotage from a DVD. Wow, you must have handbreak or something.
Even better. DVD Decryptor and DVD Shrink.

That's not to say, of course, that you don't have a massive amount of computer knowledge, but this feat is particularly unimpressive.
You obviously don't work with enough people to know just how little they know.

I remember having a debate with you about illegally downloading and acquiring things through nefarious means. I'm glad you stayed true to your character, just as I have. In fact, I've actually been paying a lot more for things instead of illegally downloading. Mainly because I have the extra cash these days.

Nonetheless, good thread.

So Sly, on the subject of DVDs and computers: your opinion on Windows 8 dropping default support of DVDs?

So Sly, on the subject of DVDs and computers: your opinion on Windows 8 dropping default support of DVDs?

I think it's silly, but I don't think it's a big deal. How many people really watch DVDs on their computer anyways? Most people stream through Hulu or HBO or Netflix, etc on their computers and watch DVDs on their DVD player. And if you do want to watch DVDs, you can always download VLC and away you go.

I think it's silly, but not that big of a deal.

It occurs to me that I could rip and burn the entire season of Dexter, and own the entire season for a grand total of $1. However, I'm sure many of you know how I'm opposed to acquiring things illegally, for a variety of reasons. To be honest, I probably wouldn't even watch the ripped DVDs after I've seen the episode once, but the idea I can watch an entire season collection, currently priced at $34.95 before tax, for the cost of a fountain soda intrigues me greatly. Imagine how much fun it would be to tell people how I own the entire season for a $1, and then get to explain how chance and my immense knowledge of technology provided me the opportunity to do so. It would be wonderful.

It wouldnt be that fun. Dont do it.

You obviously don't work with enough people to know just how little they know.

No, I just work with a bunch of people who use programs like that all the time. In fact, Handbreak is installed on all the computers at my office. Then again, I work in television, so there's the explanation for that.

I think it's silly, but I don't think it's a big deal. How many people really watch DVDs on their computer anyways? Most people stream through Hulu or HBO or Netflix, etc on their computers and watch DVDs on their DVD player. And if you do want to watch DVDs, you can always download VLC and away you go.

I think it's silly, but not that big of a deal.

I haven't looked into Windows 8 at all, so can I get some clarification on this - it's just Windows Media Player won't support DVD play? Will this have any effect on games? I mean, I'm assuming everything is still going to ship with a DVD drive, how the hell would install anything otherwise?

I haven't looked into Windows 8 at all, so can I get some clarification on this - it's just Windows Media Player won't support DVD play? Will this have any effect on games? I mean, I'm assuming everything is still going to ship with a DVD drive, how the hell would install anything otherwise?

Fucking black magic.

Sly does have a point. Even with my slightly above average computer knowledge, I often know way more than most people.

I remember having a debate with you about illegally downloading and acquiring things through nefarious means. I'm glad you stayed true to your character, just as I have. In fact, I've actually been paying a lot more for things instead of illegally downloading. Mainly because I have the extra cash these days.

Nonetheless, good thread.
It makes you feel better doing things the right way, doesn't it?

It will if you purchase the Media Center support pack. However, the default operating system will not support the codecs needed to play the video.

It won't affect software, because software doesn't need video codecs to run.

Well Michael C Hall would want you to purchase the DVD and Dexter would like to kill those who do wrong so I guess your in the clear by doing the right thing.

On a side note, I watched all of Dexter because it is awesome and paid not a dime but have given plenty of money to cancer research over the years. So I guess it evens out. In fact part of my money may have helped save Hall, so I guess I win in the long run. Your welcome America.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back