Sly, Your Help Is Requested

Turd Ferguson

DA-DA Da Da Da Bah Da Da DADADA
So, I think you know about the continuous problem I've been having with my Vaio.

Long story short, they replaced the RAM and the Hard Drive. I've been in and out of the Sony Store over the last few weeks more times than I can count. This problem as been a major inconvenience. They basically told me that if it had to go in again, they'd ship it out to San Diego to get it serviced there.

I got it back last night, and today, more Blue Screen of Death errors. I called the Sony Store, asked to speak to a manager, and calmly explained the situation, how I've been in and out over the last few weeks, and having it sent to San Diego isn't an option because I need it, and that something had to give. I asked for a replacement. He asked me to hold on, and after quickly coming to the realization he might have hung up, I was right because there I was on my menu screen on my cell phone.

Called back, wound up talking to the the tech who has been working on this. He said he'd give my case files to the manager, and from there he'd make a decision on a replacement. The tech also said he's never had something like this happen before.

My question is, what are my rights here as far as getting a replacement goes? I need it for school, and going two more weeks, if not longer, without having a laptop truly is not an option here. My family members get bullshit whenever I need to use theirs for projects/assignments/bringing it to school. I can't go on any further inconveniencing them. I have a feeling this computer is flat-out, a lemon, and even sending it out there is not going to fix whatever is going on. What do you recommend I do here?

Do you have records of all the conversations you've had with them? Not necessarily what was said, but that you had the conversation?

Yeah, I can at the very least go through my log on my Blackberry where it has a history of all the calls I've made to that store.

Quite honestly I don't get why they'd replace the RAM if it was blue-screening, having had numerous of those type of situations with different computers, it usually meant that it was either the motherboard, a harddisk or a driver.

Now I know it's absolutely not related to your question of what to do, but just trying to clarify the situation for me.
Are you able to get into Windows without it bluescreening at the start up of the blue "welcome" screen, if no, are you able to access window in safe mode? :)

Yeah, I can at the very least go through my log on my Blackberry where it has a history of all the calls I've made to that store.

Do you have the receipt from when you bought it? How long did you have it before you had to make the first call?

Quite honestly I don't get why they'd replace the RAM if it was blue-screening, having had numerous of those type of situations with different computers, it usually meant that it was either the motherboard, a harddisk or a driver.

Now I know it's absolutely not related to your question of what to do, but just trying to clarify the situation for me.
Are you able to get into Windows without it bluescreening at the start up of the blue "welcome" screen, if no, are you able to access window in safe mode? :)

One of the BSOD errors was "memory management".

Basically, it would get to the Windows logo, and from there, it would BSOD. I'm currently mired in startup repair. I couldn't get to safe mode when I tried.

Do you have the receipt from when you bought it? How long did you have it before you had to make the first call?

Best Buy wouldn't touch it saying it was Sony's problem when I tried returning it there before. I've had this computer since December 26.

You didn't answer my question...how long did you have the computer before you made the first call?

And, you shouldn't have settled for that from Best Buy. If it was within the first 14 days, you should have made them take it back for selling you faulty computer.

It was fine until around the beginning of February, which was when I made the first call, so it was past the 14 day grace period.

Welp, nevermind, got off the phone with the tech just now who said the manager at his store took it to the district manager about getting a replacement, and because it wasn't bought there, the best they can do is expedite it to San Diego.

Goddammit, this sucks.

One of the BSOD errors was "memory management".

Basically, it would get to the Windows logo, and from there, it would BSOD. I'm currently mired in startup repair. I couldn't get to safe mode when I tried.

The error messages can sometimes be tricky and incorrect, atleast from personal experience cause I once had a screwed up motherboard that would blue screen everytime I would restart it or start it again the next day after it had performed a Windows Update, telling me I had an unrepairable hardware error, but all I needed to do was move my keyboard USB plug into another USB plug in my motherboard, annoying yes, hence why I replaced it.

The startup repair won't always be a good idea, cause most of the times it's gonna tell you to run a Full System Recovery, which basicly sucks if you wanna preserve your data :rolleyes:

But as you mentioned earlier in your thread, it will certainly suck having to live without your computer for a few weeks if they ship it to the Sony repaircenter, but it might also ultimately allow for you to use your laptop fully functionally again, and sometimes having to send them to the manufactures repair center can be inevitable, mainly because their the only ones with proper access to the proper spare parts that could be needed (in case it actually was the motherboard that was defective)

Welp, nevermind, got off the phone with the tech just now who said the manager at his store took it to the district manager about getting a replacement, and because it wasn't bought there, the best they can do is expedite it to San Diego.

Goddammit, this sucks.
Do you have any old laptops?

So, I think you know about the continuous problem I've been having with my Vaio.

Long story short, they replaced the RAM and the Hard Drive. I've been in and out of the Sony Store over the last few weeks more times than I can count. This problem as been a major inconvenience. They basically told me that if it had to go in again, they'd ship it out to San Diego to get it serviced there.

I got it back last night, and today, more Blue Screen of Death errors. I called the Sony Store, asked to speak to a manager, and calmly explained the situation, how I've been in and out over the last few weeks, and having it sent to San Diego isn't an option because I need it, and that something had to give. I asked for a replacement. He asked me to hold on, and after quickly coming to the realization he might have hung up, I was right because there I was on my menu screen on my cell phone.

Called back, wound up talking to the the tech who has been working on this. He said he'd give my case files to the manager, and from there he'd make a decision on a replacement. The tech also said he's never had something like this happen before.

My question is, what are my rights here as far as getting a replacement goes? I need it for school, and going two more weeks, if not longer, without having a laptop truly is not an option here. My family members get bullshit whenever I need to use theirs for projects/assignments/bringing it to school. I can't go on any further inconveniencing them. I have a feeling this computer is flat-out, a lemon, and even sending it out there is not going to fix whatever is going on. What do you recommend I do here?

I know I don't have three letters in the first part of my name but my usual name rhymes with Sly so I'll see what I can offer you.

At this point and time it may be best to contact Sony's main tech support number and explain to them what has happened. I know they will probably give you the same answer that you need to have it sent to their main repair site, but explain the situation where the issue has been ongoing since you got it. Be firm and really stress that you can't be without a laptop for the length of time it will take them to repair it. If you're lucky you may be able to get them to send you a warranty replacement. There isn't a 100% guarantee this will work but often times they may just give in and make something work out for you.

If they've replaced the HDD and the RAM on it already, than I'm inclined to believe that it may be another piece of hardware on the motherboard. Either that or a driver does not agree with your hardware. Knowing what error comes up with the blue screen may give me a better chance to diagnose the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back