Six of the best: X Division matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hiphopapotamus

The Dude abides
Move over Sky Sports news, The Hiphopapotamus is taking over six of the best. Except without goals we're going t have the six best matches discussed from a certain division or period of time. This thread will hopefully generate a lot more interest in TNA, especially in the past where most of the best matches were wrestled. The glory years. The past year or so hasn't been great, I admit it, so just to show you ALL that TNA wasn't always this bad, this thread series has been created. I haven't watched Hard Justice yet, but I have high hopes for it.

But I obviously can't do this by myself. I need the help of all of you out there. Your input will help decide the six best matches of each thread topic. Whatever matches are voted the most popular will be reviewed. You can vote for the 6 matches by posting here. But if you don't want to explain why you chose them, don't spam here. Just send me a PM. And you don't need to name six if you can't, just send me the best matches you can think of.

Now, on to this threads topic, the high flying, death defying, adrenaline pumping, spot jumping, no limits X Division.

Many great wrestlers have passed into and through the X Division. AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, Christpher Daniels and many more. And with them they have brought some incredible matches. Spotfests and classics alike. And obviously, a lot of my picks (and many of yours) will involve those 3 previously named. So now, onto my picks:

1:Samoa Joe vs AJ Styles vs Christopher Daniels, Unbreakable 2005: This is probably the only match that will definitely get into the Six of the Best. How can the match many consider as one of TNA's greatest matches not be included. I expect that this will be the top choice.

2:Samoa Joe vs AJ Styles vs Christopher Daniels, Ultimate X, Destination X 2006: The same 3 wrestlers, in a great X division match that introduced me to the awesomeness of AJ and Joe. The first TNA match I ever saw, and it was awesome.

3:AJ Styles vs Psicosis vs Low Ki vs Jerry Lynn, First X Division match, TNA's second ever PPV: This was the first match for the X Division title, the match that really set the bar for future X Division matches. The match that began the X Division. And of course, AJ Styles.

4: X Division King of the mountain, Consequences Creed vs jay Lethal vs Chris Sabin vs alex Shelley vs Suicide, Slammiversary 2009: I enjoyed this match more than any match for the past while. Sure it was a spot fest, but they were awesome spots. And oddly for this type of match, there was a story during and before it.

5: AJ Styles vs Petey Williams vs Chris Sabin, Ultimate X, Final Resolution 2005: Great match from 3 great in ring competitors. Also contains one of the sickest bumps I've ever seen when AJ fell. And the ending was great.

6: This choice will be a tough one. I'm looking forward to the steel asylum, based on just seeing BigWill calling it amazing and 5 stars, despite me not reading the actual. But since I haven't seen it yet, I have to choose something else.

Xscape match, Jay Lethal vs Sonjay Dutt vs Chris Sabin vs Alex Shelley vs Sharkboy, Lockdown 2007: This just edges out the Ultimate X gauntlet at victory road 07. I love this match not only for it's awesomeness, but because it created not only the motor city machine guns but also the black machismo. Sonjay and Sharky were a bonus.

So there you have it, my nominations. Once I get some more nominations in, I'll do a more detailed review of each match. You will notice that no tag team matches got in, as I plan to do a tag team one eventually. Hence why there are no staniels or Triple X matches.

So who are your picks. PM or post so I can get "Six of the best" X division matches and put them up here. I'll give it a few days. Don't know how long. Depends on the response.

I definitely agree with most selections you made. I would change the number 4 and 6 picks with the following though:
4) Low Ki vs. AJ Styles vs. Jerry Lynn - Ladder Match for the X-Division title.
This match was one of my all time favorite ladder matches. I believe it took place in the first few months of TNA's inception and this is the match that actually got me into watching TNA in the first place.
6) Samoa Joe vs. AJ Styles - X Division title. Final Resolution 2005.
This was just a great back and forth contest that was in the middle of the Styles/Daniels/Joe feud after Joe put Daniels on the shelf. I chose this match because of the buildup, the storyline, it was a great back and forth match and was also Joe's first title win. I also thought the ending was great with AJ refusing to tap to the rear naked choke. Lastly, it really helped build and elevate the feud that was going on between the 3.

All in all really good list, those would be my personal six.

SIDE NOTE: I actually thought AJ broke his back when he took that bump. That was one of the most disgustingly sick bumps I've ever seen.

Well, after an underwhelming one response, I decided "Fuck it, I'll do it now". So here we go, just to get started, I'll start with the best X Division match ever, in my opinion, and everyone elses really.

Unbreakable 2005: Christopher Daniels (c) v Samoa Joe v AJ Styles.

Build Up: This match was the only ever X division match to main event a pay per view, and boy was it deserved. The wrestlers who went in to it all had their differences.

Christopher Daniels was the champion going into it, and the longest reigning one at that. He was the heel in the match. He adopted the character I always thought he was better as, the "Holier than thou fallen angel". It really speaks for itself. If this man came from Heaven, if he really was a fallen angel, he must surely not only think he's better than you, but also make sure you know it aswell. And he doesn't fail to let them know it. Before it starts, he points at them and tells them they will never beat him. He was the man everyone wanted to see get his ass kicked.

AJ Styles was your generic babyface, the guy the crowd loved. The wrestler they wanted to see win and beat the ass off that cunt who thinks he's all that. Everyone was pulling for him to win. Just a measure of this, the noise the crowd made, the pop, was insane.

Speaking of Insane, there was a wild card in this match. And this was the new kid on the block, Samoa Joe. He debuted as a badass heel, running over Sonjay Dutt like a truck. His mission wasn't just to beat you, but to break you. He made everyone regret that they got in his way. But the crowd liked it, they started to chant "Joe's gonna Kill you" and the crowd themselves turned him into a tweener. He went both ways. If he beat on Daniels, he was face. Opposite for beating on AJ. He went into this match smelling blood.

So here's the match:

So at the beginning, Daniels shows his cuntitude (thanks Blade) and AJ and Joe make him pay. They chop, punch and then try to outdo each other with kicks. Everyone in attendance is relishing the grimace and pain written along his face. They want to see him get his just desert, in a painful fashion. The sounds, from his back and mouth, made the kicks seem paralysing. When he stood up, shouted, and was brought down a peg or 5, the crowd went nuts. The stiff kicks had absolutely no relent.

I just noticed that Joe chops a lot. Well, for a while, AJ and Daniels take a few "Joe" bumps in the form of STJoe ad a belly to belly suplex. As joe goes for a facewash, Daniels tackles him and gives him an arabian press. But what follows is incredible, the shooting styles press. From my memory, it's the only one ever in TNA, but I could be wrong. It was beautifully done, one of the best I've ever seen. Not only was it near perfect, but the fact he did it from a springboard adds to it.

But this would be soon overshadowed. As AJ stood in the corner, and Daniels got ready to monkey flip him, and I saw Joe behind them, I thought one thing, power bomb. Boy was I wrong. The hurracanra was insane. And a nice touch. The pinnacle of innovation. AJ is flung over the top rope, and takes a crazy bump. That's him. Daniels tries slapping Joe, which is like annoying a wasp. It's going to sting your ass back. And Joe seeks revenge. Violently.

When Joe attaches the clutch,AJ styles needs to break it up. But he's to phenomenal to just stomp him. So he cranks out the spiral tap. And If I'm honest, slightly botched it. Sigh. Christopher Daniels is hung in a tree of woe by AJ and is shown no mercy by Joseph. He taunts him, and then kills him. daniels exacts revenge, in the form of a death valley driver on the much larger Joe. I was quite surprised by it.

After an exchange on the outside between AJ and daniels, one of the craziest moves ever was born. Joe's fat. It's obvious. But he can move like a cruiserweight. And here, he flew like one. Technically, it's called a twisting plancha crossbody. I affectionately call it the barrell roll. A true holy shit moment. Which is followed by Joe throwing both from the top rope. An incredible duo of moves.

Joe germans aj, and then busts his muscles. But when Daniels thinks he's smart, he's made to pay with a snap slam. then Joe shows him the errors of his ways. he thinks he has the upper hand, but Daniels suddenly kicks the belt into his face. Joe goes out, Styles and Daniels exchange, joe comes in, gets his ass handed to him, rolls back out, and then AJ cranks out the calling card for all his great matches. the stylin' DDT where he moonsaults into an inverted DDT. Love it.

Joe tries to take advantage of the superplex, but ends up attaching a sloppy crossface. When daniels hit Joe with a death valley driver, AJ was jealous. "What you can do, I can do better" and he torture back bombs him superbly. I've seen heavyweights who fail to lift Joe. Daniels decides he's innovative aswell and slams AJ on Joe. This is when the crowd start to chant "This is awesome", which they do for a lot of matches. This one was probably one of the few where it was entirely warranted.

For one second, even after watching it again, once AJ hit the clash, I thought it was over. Joe left it untill the last nano second to break it up. When Daniels sent Joe to the outside, I thought to myself "Again! Can he not stay in the ring?" Well this would prove to be the end. No, no, no! Daniels attaches the underhook. It's all over. He lifts. AJ dead weights it. He tries again but AJ reverses. He suplexes him over in a modified northern lights suplex into a bridge. Pin 1-2-3!!!!

AJ won, the crowd goes nuts. the pop is huge. Daniels is crying and screaming like a little bitch, Joe is panting. AJ did it in a brilliant match.

Spot of the match: Definitely the monkey flip hurracanra. That was just phenomenal.

Moment of the match: There were 3 choices. AJ reversing the Angels wings. The kicks at the beginning. But the winner was joe's barrel roll. My life would be complete if I saw this bad boy again.

Botch of the match: None, but if I had to say one, it would be the spiral tap. He seemed to land sideways.

Aftermath: 2 of these went on to gain huge success in most divisions, while one got tag team gold, some more X division, got fired, wore a mask with curry on it, got fired again, wore a mask supporting suicide awareness, and then came back to the mid card. Can you guess which ones?

This match really served as the springboard for their careers. Joe maintained his unbeaten run, AJ won the title again and Daniels looked great in defeat. You truly could say either one was robbed during the match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back