Shows Known Only For That One Match?

Starrcade 1997 is another show built around one match,

That's not true at all. Kevin Nash vs The Giant was a big match that got a lot of hype. Now, Nash no showed so the match didn't happen until Souled Out, but Starrcade wasn't built around only Sting vs Hogan. It is however a show that is only remembered for Sting/Hogan. DDP vs Hennig was good however.

but I think it could've been known for more than just Hogan vs. Sting, if Bret Hart had his debut match here and other main event talent were used better on the card or they didn't drop out of their matches with some bullshit ass excuse or their matches weren't rebooked in the last week. Curt Hennig was originally announced to face Ric Flair in a Steel Cage for the US Title but they should've just booked DDP vs. Curt Hennig in the first place instead of changing that in the last week, and Bret should've faced Flair here instead of at Souled Out.

Flair was hurt so he couldn't wrestle, that's why that change happened. Bret Hart couldn't wrestle at Starrcade because of his non compete clause with the WWF. He wasn't able to show up on Nitro until 12/15.

I can't remember what Kevin Nash's excuse was for missing his match with The Giant but he fucked up the show a bit cause that was supposed to be their co-main event.

He missed his flight allegedly. Most people believe he skipped because he was supposed to lose. He ended up getting his way and got the win at Souled Out.

Scott Hall was available though, they could've just had him replace Nash and face The Giant, but instead he had a segment with Giant in the middle of the show and got Chokeslammed.

Scott Hall couldn't wrestle. His problems were getting pretty bad at this point. That's why they just had the Giant squash him in an angle. He would get the first of one of his suspensions from Bischoff pretty shortly after this.

Also can't remember what Raven's excuse was for dropping out of his match but his feud with Benoit should've ended at Starrcade.

Just stupid booking. WCW was doing up the "raven plays by his own rules" angle so he often refused to wrestle, opting for a member of the Flock to take his place.

Apart from Goldberg, Nash, DDP, Giant & Flair, Starrcade 1998 lacked a lot of other main eventers like Sting, Hogan, Luger, Hall, Savage, Hart.

Sting was injured, Hall was again dealing with severe drinking and drug problems and had seen his in ring time reduced significantly because of it. Savage was also badly injured. Luger and Savage had suffered pretty significant injuries. Hogan was resting and was taken off television with the retirement and presidential run angle.

You are right though that this was yet another badly booked event, however it is also remembered for the really cool finish in DDP vs The Giant.

I've read through all the above posts, and I think there's still an obvious omitted suggestion(s).

What about all the Royal Rumble PPV's? This is an entire card based around 1 match, and in at least the case of the earlier events, the other matches are all laregly forgotten.

Does anyone remember what else took place on that 1st event in '88? I won't lie, I remember the contract signing between Hogan and Andre for their rematch match in February, but that's about it. And I challenge anyone to remember what other matches took place on the 1989 and 1990 events. The later cards have since improved and actually had some memorable and well-known bouts, but these early events are just rememberable for the Rumble itself.

I would also like to throw WM 5 in the mix, although some people may remember the Rick Rude/Warrior IC title match. But what else, besides the main event, happend on the card?

And I'd also just like to say that I've never seen this Jeff Jarrett vs. Shawn Michaels IYH match before, but considering all the praise I see it getting in here, and how high you all seem to regard it, you've inspired me to go check it out lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back