• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Should TNA Build Their Own Mainstream Superstar, and is it Possible?

Ahh sr2184 just said everything else I wanted to say lol you complete mee hahahah yea TNa get ur head outta bischoff's ass, get ur hands outta hogan's ass and get ur dick outta dixie's ass.. It's been a good year and half now only change I've seen since is the disappearance of the 6 sided ring, everything else still smells like dirrahea. Oh and a crackhead hardy family. Lol are people serious when they say they like these guys after the whole YouTube thing and drug problems or am I being punk'd?

it's a lot easier for WWE to turn wrestlers into stars because they have the viewers and the money. I'm not saying WWE could turn anyone into a star, but when WWE finds someone with the talent it is a lot easier for them to turn that wrestler into a star than it is for another wrestling company.

How can the TNA stars become mainstream when you have 60 year olds hogging every spot light at every chance they get? Do me a favor and watch TNA when hogan comes back. Take a pen and paper and count how many times you see someone over 50 doing the talking or whatever compared to the younger stars. Seriously it'll surprise you

AJ styles, Robert Roode, Samoa Joe, James Storm, Motor City Machine Guns, Jay Lethal are all home grown superstars. So what if they have spent time in feeder groups to WWE when they were nobodies. Edge wrestled in WCW before he made it in WWE, but nobody states he was an WCW original

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJoxLtgO8SU

The "Mainstream Superstar" label is one that comes both from being exceptionally talented (at talking, not wrestling, no one in the real world gives a shit how sweet you can make a bicycle kick look) and having exceptionally good fortune to be in the right place at the right time.

Hogan may have the clearest claim to being "made" in the WWF. He became a name with the AWA, but it wasn't until he joined up with the WWF and they teamed up with MTV that he got his first national media exposure. An absolutely huge run, unmatched since, was then followed by a series of shitty movies, and a mainstream star hocking microwaves for Rent-To-Own was born.

Austin and Rock were fortunate enough to be the top guys in the company during the last time wrestling was remotely trendy and 10% of America was watching Raw or Nitro on a given night. (Vince McMahon, Dixie Carter and Paul Heyman would all get together and ritually sacrifice orphan babies if they thought it would help get back that level of mainstream consciousness for their business.) Rock was just TOO good at what he did to be a professional wrestler. As soon as he could, he made the jump to B-movies and hasn't looked back since. Austin didn't start his movie career until after his wrestling career ended, and is more of a star of the wrestling world then he is of the entertainment world. Put Rock and Austin together on a red carpet, and most of the people there aren't going to know that the bald limping white guy helped made Dwayne Johnson famous.

John Cena... he's a "mainstream superstar" right now by default, because he's the biggest name in the business and has been in a movie that people have paid to see, unlike many other WWE superstars who have acted in movies. (OK, "See No Evil" somehow made $18m in revenue on a $8m budget. Suckers are being born faster then every minute.) But what has he done since "The Marine"? (Which actually was less of a financial success then "See No Evil"- *headscratch*) "12 Rounds"? "Legendary"? Cena's the top guy in the business right now, he can show up on television and a youth-oriented audience will recognize him, but that's about it. When he compares to a Hogan or a Rock, he's not on the same page.

Which leads us to the original question- should TNA build their own "mainstream superstar", to which I say, TNA cannot build a "mainstream superstar" without having a "mainstream" company. As much as TNA has tried to be "mainstream" over the past year (I make a living using buzzwords, and 'mainstream' is easily the one I hate the most), they aren't and they aren't going to be. They don't have the media connections outside of the company, besides hiring the occasional Jersey Shore skank; and it's not a question of developing those connections, but about HOW you would develop those connections. I don't see how TNA can get to that point now, or how they can be at that point even in five years; not without some incredibly provident turn of events in the wrestling world.

This mainstream star should have been AJ, but they screwed that up. The only TNA star i could see being able to pull this off is that guy Crimson. Call me crazy, but i hear that he is good in the ring and his mic skills can get there. He has that look, a big guy, and he could bring the big fight atmosphere.

I am in total agreement with Rayne on this one. From what I understand from the term "mainstream superstar" it means a wrestler who is known to the people who are not wrestling fans. That can be achieved in a number of ways and not only by appearing in films. You can also become a household name by appearing in commercials. But the point is, why would a company want a TNA wrestler to sell its product. TNA is a not so popular national level wrestling company with few media connections. Chances are that if a TNA wrestler were to be promoting a product more than 90% of the audience would have no idea who the guy is.

So yes, I feel that TNA is not mainstream enough to produce a mainstream superstar. That being said, they do have the opportunity to produce one of their biggest superstars. Overdone as it may be the storyline of a company in trouble against an all dominating faction is an effective one and can elevate a lot of people at the same time. Look at what NWO did to Sting and DDP. I would say that Immortal has done a lot for Mr Anderson as well. He is getting as big a pop as any babyface has ever gotten in TNA and due to his excellent mic skills he might just turn out to be the biggest superstar that TNA have ever produced till date.

Of course TNA would like to build their own mainstream superstar- someone who is a legitimite mega star and who everyone associates with TNA, but is it possible?

I do not think that it is at the present time. AJ Styles is THE homegrown TNA boy, and while he is a big name in wrestling, noone can say that he is a legitimate mega-star to compare with the likes of Hogan or Austin. TNA are simply not big enough, and do not enough enough mainstream exposure or a big enough fanbase to create a star like the WWE can.

With Hogan and Austin- (and don't give me this bullshit about them not being homegrown, Austin and Hogan's successful characters were developed in the WWE, their earlier personas were nothing like the personas that made them stars), they had the WWE marketing machine behind them, prime time programming and the benefit of being part of a show watched worldwide by millions. To many wrestling fans, TNA is the minor leagues, and any wrestler who becomes successful appearing at the Universal Studios stage is never going to have the same mainstream appeal as a wrestler who is being pushed by WWE, and who will win the title at Wrestlemania infront of millions of fans all across the world.

Being in WWE gives a wrestler who is on the rise a much bigger stage on which to perform which gives so much more exposure to that talent to both wrestling fans and the mainstream media and many more opportunities to shine such as films, appearances on other TV shows etc. WWE can build worldwide superstars who people who are not wrestling fans can recognise, TNA can build TNA stars.

Until someone like AJ Styles wrestles for the WWE or Mr Anderson returns to New York, they will not have any chance of becoming SUPERSTARS like Hulk Hogan or Austin, TNA are simply not big enough.

TNA have to be able to create their own stars or they don't have any right to exist. If they rely solely on guys created by the WWE, they're nothing but a parasite.

I don't know about mainstream notoriety though. WWE can't even manage that and they've got a hundred million dollar company publicising nothing but.

My advice, create a WRESTLING superstar and maybe fame might come with it.

TNA marks=******s lol this thread basically proves it lol. It doesn't matter if a star is "homegrown" or not I will agree on that. But it's the thing TNA does for the former WWE stars that piss me off. They freaking ruin them man. Jeff hardy, Booker T, Mick foley, RVD(the whole Sensei martial arts crap is sooo wack) dudley boyz(look at them in WWE and look at them in TNA.. They literally double in size, in a bad way), ECW rosters( I'm a fan of ECW as much as the next guy but Tommy dreamer main eventing? Get ur head outta ur ass it's 2011) and I can keep going. Granted Kennedy is pretty awesome but that really doesn't change my mind cuz well he was always awesome. He's just one of the superstars that TNA DIDN't change. And he has no new gimmick lol. You TNA people really need something to clutch onto cus I really think, the end is near(crossing my fingers so Angle can go back to where he belongs). Kennedy's gimmick is pretty much the same thing. He was always an asshole, a talker, and championship material. It wajust that he was a heel in WWE.

Now back to the topic which I think is even more hilarious. Don't you think TNA is trying to a mainstream star? You think thatz not in their top priority list? Ofc it is man any SMART wrestling company that wants to go global knows it NEEDs that. And one dude posted bout how "homegrown" doesn't mean shit to them. Well it might not fly with you but I think the overall wrestling fan base would like to something new and fresh from their favorite company, not sloppy seconds. And please don't compare hogan and Austin as not home grown R-tard. WWE went international just recently an hogan was one of the many new addition the roster. And he wasn't the living legend in AWA. I think he was actually heel for some time. And Austin not home grown? Before WWF would you ever expect a dude that has long blonde hair going bald drinking beer all nigh and opening up a can of whup ass every night on everyone? Do you REALLY think WCW "homegrown" Austin 3:16? Lol again just shows me how stupid TNA marks are. TNA should learn a thing or two from the E. WWE takes wrestlers and makes them superstars. TNA uses the starpower that the superstar already have. Now do you see? Lol they have it almost done for them and they still fuck up. Good job you like watching the mentally ******ed version of wrestling lol :-D.. Can't wait til Wrestlemaina!!!(bound for glory is the biggest TNA ppv? Really? Really? Realllllllllyyy? ::threw up in my mouth a bit:::

You are calling TNA marks ******s, but yet it has been quite some time on this forum that I have read ANYONE rape the English language and its grammatical structure the likes in which you just have. So I'm really starting to wonder who the real ****** in this equation is. If you are going to resort to this stupidity you deserve to have your opinion challenged.

But just the same I will entertain your dumbassery and give a rebuttal to your ridiculous attempt at posting you moron. "Homegrown Talent" is a very subjective term considering that these people work on a contractual basis and are offering their services as a performer.

In the cases of guys like Hulk Hogan and Steve Austin, I've got this to say, yes WWF indeed brought this guys huge levels of stardom. There's no denying that at all. However, more so in the case of Hogan than Austin, Hogan was happening and he was only getting bigger. In fact WWF screwed that up the first time by firing him for doing the Rocky movie, that's of course if everything is as true as they say regarding those circumstances. But when he went to AWA that's when the Hulkamania persona really started, sure it did not get as big as it did in WWF, but Hogan's notoriety was increasing when Sylvester Stallone offered him that part in the movie and even if Hogan was in WWF briefly during this time while Vince, Sr. was running things, the career he had in the territories that preceded this period in his career didn't harm his profile either. A lot of Hulk Hogan's success had a lot to do with Hulk Hogan, and I think he's proven that when he left to go to WCW. Granted not everything he's done has been a runaway hit, but the man's still working to this day. I think that says it all there.

Now as far as Steve Austin goes, there's no doubt that the WWF was for the better for his career, but the term homegrown talent is completely ridiculous. The only examples of homegrown talent you'll see in wrestling is the last decade or so with WWE utilizing developmental territories. That sort of thing never existed in an official sense back then because of the territory system where talent was shared amongst different regions back in the 70s and 80s and to a small degree the 90s. When guys like Hogan and Austin were learning to wrestle they began their careers not under McMahon's authority but in the territory system. And the WCCW was still a vestage of what used to be the territory system.

While, I'll admit that WWE has propelled guys like Hogan and Austin into the status of icon, they sure as hell can't be given all the credit for their success. For one thing it all starts with the desire of guys like Hogan and Austin to be wrestlers in the first place, and credit should be given to the promoters and trainers that gave them the opportunity to capitalize on that desire, and I can sure as hell tell you that it was not the WWF that gave them that start, they merely capitalized on the obvious success they had elsewhere before arriving in the promotion.

In closing Stunner=RKO, go learn some structure and logic before bothering to post again, I'd rather listen to a TNA mark any day over some moron like you that's so quick to put labels on people just because you don't happen to like a certain wrestling promotion that doesn't fit your ridiculous standards. As disappointing as I have found TNA to be at times, I'd like to see you start your own wrestling company and see how you'd do.

WCW also made Goldberg, who was 100% homegrown. He was, arguably, bigger than Cena is now.

But yeah, homegrown stars are hard to come by. Not really any difference between them. Austin and Foley were pretty big stars in WCW. They weren't world champion but neither was Anderson and The Pope in WWE.

Stars jumping between companies is a common and needed practice. It freshens up talent and makes them a big deal when they return. Look at Booker T. Nobody gave a shit about him when he left WWE. Suddenly he returns and he is given a pop worthy of Austin. Same with Nash. Problem right now with TNA guys is WWE does not believe they are known enough to give them the proper treatment like they did to WCW castoffs such as Austin, Foley, Nash, Hall, Undertaker and others, and mostly their characters were completely changed.

I do think when the casual fan flips on to TNA, and they see a guy they used to see in WWE 5-10 years ago, it gives them the perception that TNA is full of 'WWE rejects'. That stigma does hurt TNA as they're trying to grow. It's one thing to bring in Kurt Angle......arguably one of the best wrestlers EVER......its another thing to have Orlando Jordan and Brian Kendrick.

Now, on the other side of the coin, TNA has found better uses for guys like Anderson, Morgan, and Pope than WWE ever had for them. But when you see Matt Hardy who looks bloated, the Dudleys (guys who were wrestling in the 90s), and Ric Flair STILL working the occasional matches (and covered in blood).....it gives the casual fan a negative impression of TNA.

So in that sense, TNA needs to do a better job of developing their own stars. I guess it's not in the budget for them, but they could use their own FCW-type develipmental system. Hell, I don't even care if they just steal guys from ROH, because 95% of the casual wrestling fans have no idea who El Generico, Davey Richards, Kevin Steen, or Roderick Strong are anyways.....but if TNA brought in a guy like MVP (hypothetically, since I know he signed with New Japan), it would just further the 'WWE Reject' stereotype.

I think TNA missed a great opportunity to create a big mainstream star with crossover potential a few years ago when they didn't give the tag titles/spotlight to the Motor City Machine Guns. If I remember correctly it was the height of the emo music trend and MCMG definitely had the emo boyband aura back then and even appeared on some MTV reality tv show to teach a kid pro wrestling. The trigger should have been pushed right then to push them as a top attraction.

Nobody seemed to answer the question of whether TNA should build their own mainstream stars so I will. I don't think TNA intent to purposely create a wrestler to appeal to the mainstream audience. They can try, but it would be difficult to beat the WWE star-making machine. Their strategy seem to be to target the niche wrestling-viewing market that prefer an alternative to WWE. Just look at how much TNA has bend backwards to recreate the 90's wrestling atmosphere to appeal to the older fans. If they are going to create any stars, it would someone similar to Anderson with the asshole gimmick rather than a Cena/Hogan type of stars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back