• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Should the Cruiserweight Championship be brought to ECW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GW Emperor

Occasional Pre-Show
With the WWE Cruiserweight Championship still defunct following Hornswaggle's vacating of the title, I believe that it is time that WWE brought the title back out of retirement and place it on the company's ECW brand.
In my opinion every wrestling company should have a Cruiserweight title or equivalent amongst their championships and not only that but this type of title makes the smaller, lighter guys more recognisable, and it gives them more of a purpose within the company, this since it is rare that these type of guys ever win any of the bigger titles.
The reason why I suggest WWE should place the title on the ECW brand is because this is the brand that currently sees the most crusierweight action and not only that but if WWE were so afraid that the Cruiserweight division may not be liked by fans (possibly the reason why it is currently in retirement) then the ECW brand is the best place for it to be, this since it scores the least amount of viewing figures of the 3 WWE brands.
Current Crusierweight Championship contenders on ECW include Evan Bourne, Super Crazy, Chavo Guerrrero, Nunzio, Colin Delaney, Hornswaggle etc, and the company could also add the returning Gregory Helms to this list.
At this present time with the wrestlers mentioned I believe WWE could have some great Cruiserweight Championship matches on ECW. What do you fellow wrestling fans think?

Finally, someone sees sense.

The Crusierweight Championship needs to exist, pure and simple. What's Gregory Helms gonna do when he gets back?

Option A) Win the US Title. Not gonna happen. Which only leaves:

Option B) Job to Triple H.

As Emperor stated, the smaller guys rarely get any recognition outside of the Crusierweight championship. If the title remains defunct, they've got nothing to do on the roster, nothing to aim for. I mean, look at, for example, Royal Rumble 2006. Sure, everyone remembers Rey Mysterio being spurred through the Royal Rumble to victory by the memory of the late great Eddie Guerrero, or Undertaker's powerful return on a black chariot, destroying the ring with lightning, but the first match of that night was a 6-Pack Challenge featuring 6 crusierweights, namely Kid Kash, Jamie Noble, Funaki, Nunzio, Paul London and, of course, Gregory Helms himself. And it was brilliant. Possibly the most impressive match of the night (although it didn't have much competition, with the 2 main events featuring John Cena and Mark Henry) and a match that kept the crowd thrilled from start to finish. And why did it happen? It was an Open Challenge. For the Crusierweight Championship. If the title isn't around, the Crusierweights just drift aimlessly around the roster, and great matches like this simply don't happen. So, with a great array of CW wrestlers currently calling ECW home, so to speak, I think it's a great idea for the CW title to make it's return on Tuesday nights, and I hope it happens sooner rather than later.

Colamania pretty much covered everything, but think of what else it can do for ECW. Having the cruiserweights on ECW makes it one step closer to being like old ECW. Old ECW had the cruiserweights and high flyers who all had great matches. Also better wrestling = better ratings.

I've been wanting this for so long, The Cruiserweight championship should definatly be brought to ECW.. I think it would bring that show in a good direction if it focused more on the the smaller faster wrestlers like, sydel, london, kendrick, Morrison and so on.. It would also make ecw a good place to debut people like they are trying to do now. They definately need to get away from the mark henry, and big daddy v type stufff, even Knox doesn't seem to fit. The Cruiserweight title definatly needs to come back though, regardless of what show its on

It's a good idea. In terms of Titles they should have S/D & RAW hosting World Titles, Mid- Card Belts, Tag Belts, Women's/Diva's Championship. ECW Should have it's World Title. and the CW Title. In terms of the CW Title I'd go for frequent defences on ECW Shows and see if anyone can be put over that way.

Firstly the Championship should be re-introduced on ECW then the following superstars should be intergrated-

Solid CW's

Chavo Guerrero- Along with Tajiri he'd be the main-stay Heel of the division.

Jamie Noble- One of the fan favorites of the division.

Helms- A solid guy that can carry the division should it hit rough times.

TJ Wilson- I'd call him up from FCW. Also I'd bring over DH Smith as part of the Superstar initiative and have them form a Tag Team.

Evan Bourne- He'd become the centerpiece of the new division.

Tajiri- He is supposedly going to sign with WWE again. With Chavo he'd be one of the main heels.

Paul London- Incredibly talented. If he isn't going to be pushed as part of Tag Team then this will do for now.

Super Crazy- Already there he's accomplished and wouldn't mind putting over one of the new guys.

Nunzio- See Super Crazy.

Brian Kendrick- Chance to express himself. I personally believe London has more talent.

For the guys currently not on ECW you could run a storyline where after the Title is brought back they realise in order to be successful they leave their current Brands to come to ECW. The first Champ would be Chavo who would run a program with Noble. Noble would come through the other side with the Championship. Whilst this is going the other guys run a tournament to decide who the No1 Contender will be after Jamie Noble/Chavo have had their deciding match. This allows the Division to get more recognizable with the ECW audience.

It is a good idea and it will give the smaller guys some meaning to being in wwe besdies jobbing all the time but it will not happen sad to say. Vince is really low on short guys and see's them as really jobbers for the most part. But it would be cool to see the title return and given to the smaller guys. Also another reason it won't work is because them high fly moves are banned and thats really made the cruiserweight belt back in wcw the high flying stuff going on in them cruiserweight matches. So because of that wwe should really bring back the lightweight title it will suite them better then the cruiserweight title will.

Also they need to bring back the hardcore title and put that on ecw and every match for the title be in an extreme rules match and have the 24/7 rule on it too.

The Cruiserweight title has a ton of contenders...however, they're on separate shows, and removing all of them to put them on ECW simply puts the last knife into the back of the tag team and midcard divisions.

Let's look at the people that would make good Cruiserweight contenders, who aren't already involved in main event or "upper midcard" levels, as that's what you should be aspiring for, not the CW division: Nunzio, The Miz, Kofi Kingston, Carlito, Evan Bourne, Kenny Dykstra, Charlie Haas, Jamie Noble, Santino Marella, Colin Delaney, Armando Estrada, Stevie Richards, Matt Striker, Paul London, Brian Kendrick, Deuce, Zack Ryder, Curt Hawkins, Jesse Dalton, Chavo Guerrero, Funaki, Super Crazy, Jimmy Wang Yang, Shannon Moore, Ted DiBiase, Cody Rhodes

Very, very good for a Cruiserweight division, right? But what does that leave for the rest of the midcard and tag team divisions: Paul Burchill, D.H. Smith, Atlas Ortiz, Lance Cade, Vladimir Kozlov, Tommy Dreamer, Val Venis, Boogeyman, Domino, Chuck Palumbo, Braden Walker, Mike Knox, Hardcore Holly, Snitsky, Elijah Burke, Ron Killings, Cryme Tyme, Festus, Bam Neely, Highlanders

Most of these people are terrible and/or jobbers. Smith is useless the way they use him, Ortiz is terrible, Kozlov is exactly the same as Knox and Palumbo and Snitsky, Dreamer is a jobber, Val Venis is a jobber, Boogeyman is never used, Domino's a jobber, Walker's terrible, Hardcore Holly is a bore, Neely is a jobber, and the Highlanders are jobbers. That leaves you the credible/interesting midcard AND tag team divisions for all 3 shows to consist of Burchill, Cade, Burke, Killings, Cryme Tyme, and Festus.

So while I'm a fan of bringing back the Cruiserweight title, they'd need to balance everything else out before they ever thought of it. People complain about the midcard titles and the two tag team titles having nobody, but we'd have even less if you brought the Cruiserweight title back. What they SHOULD do, in my opinion, is play double or triple duty. Make it so all the Cruiserweights that have nothing to do are a part of tag teams, fight in the midcard, and fight for the Cruiserweight title. For instance, Jimmy Wang Yang. He and Moore can continue to be a tag team, both can wrestle midcard talent, and they can wrestle Cruiserweight talent.

Unless you hire many, many new superstars for the shows, then the WWE's set up is going to be a catch-22 when it comes to the Cruiserweight title. While it has pros because it gives people like Super Crazy, Nunzio, and Funaki something that they could compete for and logically win, the biggest con is that if you only had the jobbers like that involved in the division, then nobody would care whatsoever and the title would be meaningless. Would you honestly be interested in seeing Funaki vs Nunzio, or Deuce vs Stevie Richards being a title program with a feud going on? I know I wouldn't. And the more talented guys like Miz, Kofi, Carlito, Rhodes, that would make it interesting...shouldn't they be pushed to the TRUE midcard instead as that matters more?

The only way to get a solid midcard, tag team, and Cruiserweight in the WWE is to get rid of ECW and put all that talent onto Raw and Smackdown. That way, everything is crowded. When everything is crowded, it gives you lots of people that need to be demoted. And when that happens, suddenly, Evan Bourne isn't good enough for the IC/US title as someone like Matt Hardy is now the top guy (because he wouldn't be a main event star competing with the others), so now Bourne has to become a tag team or Cruiserweight challenger.

I think its a great call. It works with the X division on TNA and I used to love watching the Cruiserweight matches. If it were to be brought back it would have to include all the high flying daredevil moves that are a staple of this event, which I hear Vince isnt too high on sadly. I think its the only way to give some of these smaller wrestlers meaning to stay in the company and not jump ship to TNA for regular exposure. Also it would improve ECW no end. I for one would love to see some Cruiserweight ECW rules matches instead of the tripe thats been served up as of late

I think its a great idea, the cruiserweight division needs to go to ECW and there are two very good reasons why it should:

Firstly WWE could claim that it is being brought to ECW because it was the original ECW that bought cruiserweight wrestling to the mainstream so theyre trying to do the brand some justice that way.

Secondly because of the superstar initiative, what better way to give the likes of Evan Bourne some TV time than by having them in a title division of their own, they shouldnt win the title straight away because it would seem better if they have to work for it, it also makes the title look better if they beat former ECW champ Chavo Guerrero for it.

For these reasons I believe this is the perfect time and place to bring back the cruiserweight division.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back