• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Should Ryback Be The One To Stop Rusev?

Feed Me Rusev!!!!

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
Over the past several weeks, an inevitable match between Ryback & Rusev has been building. A few months back, Ryback returned from having undergone surgery, for his right shoulder I think, and found himself back in the midst of being pushed as a singles wrestler. Ryback hasn't been pushed as prominently as he originally was in late 2012 and through much of the first half of 2013, he hasn't been absolutely decimating everyone, and looks poised to be Rusev's next challenger for the WWE United States Championship.

Since Rusev's debut on the main roster, discounting his appearance in the Royal Rumble match, on April 7, he's yet to be pinned or forced to submit. His only losses, a very small number, have come as a result of count out or disqualification. Along with Lana, Rusev has managed to inject life into the pretty dated gimmick of an invading monster heel who hates America and has scored decisive wins against Jack Swagger, Mark Henry, Big Show and Sheamus, from whom he won the United States Championship.

In the past, there've been reports of criticism of Ryback's work inside the ring as being too stiff and too reckless from several wrestlers. CM Punk had no shortage of harsh words several weeks back as he explained some of the injuries he says he suffered in matches with Ryback. It's also known that Dolph Ziggler suffered his second concussion within a 6 month or so span around this time last year during a match with Ryback on Main Event. There were also reports of him treating fans poorly at autograph sessions and a distinct unwillingness to help promote WWE shows to local media, which allegedly led to his push being killed.

So, should Ryback be the one to hand Rusev his first real loss, thereby becoming the new United States Champion, or should it be someone else?

A tough one here.
Ryback is the type of physical threat that could take down Rusev believably. Its hard to say who you think would win a real fight between the two. Ryback is also in the middle of a huge push that will probably culminate with a title shot sometime in 2015. Carrying the US title would help him gain prestige on his way to the top, and WWE tends to like big time faces more than big time heels.

But on the other side, it would almost be a shame to see Rusev beaten by a wrestler with a non-patriotic gimmick. His whole persona is based on being anti-American, and it would be more traditional to have him beaten by a wrestler with a patriotic gimmick.

I think Ryback would be the perfect person to end Rusev's streak. beating him for the US title then having him win the ATG battle Royal could be just the thing to get the Big guy back on track and at the same time it would do minimal damage to Rusev if he lost to a guy like Ryback.

I have to say that first and foremost my opinion is biased because I am not a big fan of Rusev's gimmick, specially in the long run. Even though I thought it made a lot of sense, given the current political background and the whole notion of a new "Cold War" between USA/Russia, I also thought that it's just way too basic and cheap. In a way, I thought he could've been the one to elevate Jack Swagger's babyface turn, which was really working in my estimation and I've always seen a great grappler and a good brawler worker in Swagger, but as time gone on and on, I started seeing Rusev's improvement in the ring, and I really gotta say that his match with Sheamus in the Post-Raw Show was what really did the deal for me, basically his US Title Victory.

However his reign has been lackluster to say the least - he has had no real challengers, he has lost a lot of interest, just because he has beaten everybody cleanly and decisively in a way, that the most likely guy to stop him, will end up being John Cena, which sucks, because it's not original. I have nothing but respect for John Cena, it's not because of him I am saying this as I would be fine with a feud between them, but I think that it would've been too generic as a whole arc for Rusev's character. He beats everybody and gets stopped by the #1 american hero and babyface. It's been overdone.

So, why not Ryback? Why not? The guy has been getting good reactions and his in-ring work seemed to have improved a lot since his tag team days with Curtis Axel. He works best as a babyface and he even added a little personality, as the fact that he's also a big scary dude, makes the matches between him and Rusev something to get excited for. Both guys have no problem with the bumps, and if only they worked a puroresu match, I could see both of them, tearing down the house with forearms and clotheslines and kicks to the face. But in a WWE style of wrestling, I can easily see them creating some drama and, instead of going down the generic route, why not extend this "Rusev/Ryback" feud? Why not make a title switch? I for once, would easily do that as I don't see any real money in Cena/Rusev, not as much as I would see in a Ryback/Rusev with an unpredictable finish for the feud.

It's hard to say who is going to beat Rusev at this point in time. I wouldn't have a problem with Ryback doing it but the problem is as soon as Rusev takes his first loss a lot of that magic is gone. So if Ryback isn't the one to do it I am really unsure about who would do it. I don't want Rusev to just go all this time only to lose to Cena at Wrestlemania or something. That would be a huge waste. I still kind of believe Rusev will fizzle out sooner or later. Or become a rosebud later on. I don't know we have just seen this same shtick before with foreign monster heels and it hasn't worked out since probably the 80's.

As you can see I have no idea what my feelings are on Rusev, but to sum it up I don't think he will achieve a higher level than now so I really don't mind on Ryback or whoever beating him if that makes sense.

I'd much prefer Ryback over Cena as the one to take out Rusev. A win for Cena doesn't do anything at all for him. It's too predictable, and it only ends up hurting Rusev. Once Rusev gets over a bit more and actually loses a match, I can see it helping him by facing Cena, but for now it's too soon. Ryback needs a big win against someone who actually matters right now. Sure, his win against Kane was big, but since everyone beats Kane nowadays it didn't really do much for Ryback. Roman Reigns, in my opinion, would also benefit from a feud with Rusev instead of skyrocketing to the WrestleMania Main Event after barely even 6 months of being a singles star.

Absolutely NOT. Ryback is a midcarder. Upper midcarder at best. He will not go beyond that. He doesn't have the tools. There would be no point to him being the one to end it, because Ryback will only go so far.

It should also not be an established main eventer like Cena who ends it either.

It needs to be someone who would truly benefit from it.......someone who looks to be a good bet to become a main eventer, but who is not there yet......someone still on their way up who need a big victory.......DEAN AMBROSE. Perfect candidate to do it. He needs a big win so badly.

Possibly Dolph Ziggler. Those are the only ones I see right now.

Yes. I thought that was the end goal for him seeing his re-debut as the original Ryback character a while back, especially given how well it went over that night. Physically it only makes sense, he dwarfs Rusev and Rusev is by no means a small guy. It's good for Ryback to get his hands on a title, though I'm not sure they will be taking it off Rusev in the near future... I think these two will feud for a while.

Absolutely NOT. Ryback is a midcarder. Upper midcarder at best. He will not go beyond that. He doesn't have the tools. There would be no point to him being the one to end it, because Ryback will only go so far.

Okay, Rusev is a midcarder. It is a midcard belt. At least Ryback has been in multiple Pay Per View main events and has some history. It would not severely damage Rusev, I think he's had the streak long enough (no one cares anymore, nor do they even talk much about a streak) and a guy like Ryback should be the one to take it.

Dean Ambrose would gain little from it, he is not an all American style baby face and is so over he can win or loose and not come out bad for it. Ziggler needs a better angle than Rusev, and I don't want to see a David vs. Goliath match. It also helps Ziggler little, he already came out on top on Survivor Series and he is already very over.

I think Ryback should take Rusev to the limit but end up in failure and go heel like Henry and Show have given the amount of guys ahead of him in the babyface pecking order.

I dont really want Cena to be the one either as that is too predictable.
Whilst Rusev is well built, he still isnt quite a Monster and thus somelike a Ziggler would be a great opponent for him at Mania 31 with perhaps both the US and IC titles on the line.

Along with Lana, Rusev has managed to inject life into the pretty dated gimmick of an invading monster heel who hates America....

And for that reason alone, I would hate to think all the build-up received by Rusev these months is to be wasted in feeding him to Ryback.

Given the body of work Rusev has put in, I think he deserves to have his first loss come against someone of more prominence, more in the line of Cena, Orton......or even Reigns, if he's the one they're going to boost to the top.

Management can have Ryback give a good account of himself against Rusev, but I think he should ultimately fall before him. Honestly, I don't see Ryback as being a bigger piece of the puzzle than Big Show or Mark Henry, both of whom Rusev has already knocked off.

And for that reason alone, I would hate to think all the build-up received by Rusev these months is to be wasted in feeding him to Ryback.

Given the body of work Rusev has put in, I think he deserves to have his first loss come against someone of more prominence, more in the line of Cena, Orton......or even Reigns, if he's the one they're going to boost to the top.

Management can have Ryback give a good account of himself against Rusev, but I think he should ultimately fall before him. Honestly, I don't see Ryback as being a bigger piece of the puzzle than Big Show or Mark Henry, both of whom Rusev has already knocked off.

I would have thought the same thing, but Ryback and that speech he gave, which was surprising, makes me think they are setting up Rusev to have his first loss to Ryback. If not a loss, then an ending where both men come out safe (DQ, Count out).

It depends on who the WWE wants to make a bigger star. I don't see Ryback go far with a face gimmick. I prefer him heel,a monster who devastates and destroys everyone. Therefore,he can reach the top as a face if the company wants it.

Rusev has been built as a monster heel and although I want him to lose and crown a new US champion at the RR,I believe his end of the streak will come at Wrestlemania from Cena who will tear down any momentum Rusev will have built.

That said,I want both become top card players and the match is difficult to be predicted.

It depends on who the WWE wants to make a bigger star. I don't see Ryback go far with a face gimmick. I prefer him heel,a monster who devastates and destroys everyone. Therefore,he can reach the top as a face if the company wants it.

Rusev has been built as a monster heel and although I want him to lose and crown a new US champion at the RR,I believe his end of the streak will come at Wrestlemania from Cena who will tear down any momentum Rusev will have built.

That said,I want both become top card players and the match is difficult to be predicted.

Good thing is he always has option to go Heel if babyface doesn't work. The obvious "I busted my ass for you fans and you don't appreciate me, fuck it" route now that he has added that realism to his character. Cena beating Rusev benefits nobody while it would help propel Ryback were he to win and go into a long term feud for both guys. Hopefully Cena isn't the call they make.

Ryback or Ryan Reeves have showed the WWE universe who he is,
He was once apart of my created group as I would call it the Ass Whipping Andy group

How I would book Rusev for the next few months
Royal Rumble - Enters the Rumble, stare down with Ryback. Both eliminate each other.
Fast Lane - Ryback vs Rusev. Double count out after crashing through table.
Wrestlemania - Rusev defeats Ryback clean, renames title European title the next night.
Extreme Rules - Beats Kingston after Big E turns on Kingston
Payback - Clean win over Intercontinental Champion thus Unifying them. Costs Cena his match later
Summerslam - Beats Cena clean and retains title. First time IC/US title has headlined Summerslam in years.
Post Summerslam - Enters feuds with maybe Sheamus? Maybe Jericho?
Survivor Series - Ryback finally defeats Rusev clean after Rusev year+ reign

I think Ryback is a potential contender but it has to be a long build and should not be rushed.I think it could be a compelling story if he beats Rusev after Cena couldn't. Culminates in an eventual Cena vs Rusev match next Wrestlemania (This year is too early, will be a repeat of Bray Wyatt)

I think that Rusev should go over Ryback. They have built Rusev up too much since his debut to be dethroned by Ryback, who is still regaining momentum. I'd have them put on a good series of matches and have Ryback not look weak. As for who I'd want to defeat Rusev, I'm going to say Bad News Barrett. Have Rusev and Lana change the US title to the European title , as has been rumoured. Have Rusev defeat a few European wrestlers (Sheamus, Neville, maybe quick matches with guys like Regal and Finlay.) After having seen enough of Rusev run through his competition , Barrett comes out and delivers Bad News to Rusev. Have them feud for a couple of months, then Barrett finally gets the best of him on a Raw during the European tour

I'm a big Ryback mark and would love to see him go over Rusev and finally get his first title win. Ryback has been getting good reactions since his return and is someone that can really benefit from the win. As someone mentioned he needs a win over someone who matters. But I doubt it will happen, they seem to like to build Ryback up just to have him job at pay per views and high profile matches.

However from a company standpoint it makes sense for Rusev to remain undefeated heading into Mania. They are going to want a high profile match for John Cena and Rusev is one of the few on the roster that has enough momentum and looks like a threat to him. It would be a big risk to have Rusev job before Mania and possibly lose all his momentum.

As much as I like Ryback, especially after his promo last night, I don't think he should beat Rusev.

Whoever beats Rusev would get a boost. Somebody like Reigns should beat him. I wouldn't waste the win on Ryback, who seem to find his natural role as a mid carder and I wouldn't let Cena or Orton win because they have nothing to gain from it, they can easily be plugged in the main event.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back