• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Should HBK be awarded any more World Titles?

whitefox

Occasional Pre-Show
Over Shawn Michaels' 20 odd year career with the WWE he has won 3 WWE titles and 1 World Heavyweight Title. I would like to know whether people think HBK's career/legacy will be tarnished atall by the fact that he has now not won either title since 2002.

Some may say that it is right that he has not held the title since 2002 and it should be the younger guys getting the strap, but Taker has been winning it, why not Shawn?

I know he does not neccasarily have the desire to be champ anymore but despite having numerous title shots he has not won the belt in 7 years. That is longer period of time than his entire first run as singles competitor before his retirement in 1998. Since 2002 he has wrestled the best and put on some GREAT matches, but no titles. Of course he is going to be remembered as an all time great, but would his career look better with more title runs? or does the standard of matches he has put on over the years mean that it doesn't matter how many times he has held the belt?

Would be interested in what people think as I am unsure where I stand...

Simply put, it doesn't matter if he won more titles or if he didn't.

To me, HBK is one of only two people in the WWE that is bigger than having a major championship. What I mean by that is; that he doesn't need the title in order to help put him over or to keep him in the main event. HBK let's his in ring ability do that. In fact, having him go up against the major title holder and lose in a great match does more for the title, in terms of prestige, and more for the title holder, in terms of credibility; then it would do for HBK to win the title.

Let's face it, a major title wouldn't help HBK at all. He would do more for the title right now then it could do for him and, when you think about it, that really is sad.

Let's face it, a major title wouldn't help HBK at all. He would do more for the title right now then it could do for him and, when you think about it, that really is sad.

I agree that Michaels doesn't need the title but then surely the Undertaker doesn't either yet he has had numerous title runs over the last few years? What makes HBK different to him in that sense?

HBK should be a champion again! But, he won't on RAW b/c he passed the torch already to HHH. So any show that The Game is on, HBK will not be the man.

While he doesn't need to title for his overall career's legacy. He has had one of the greatest careers in the WWE, or professional wrestling in general. However, there is one reason why he should atleast win the World Heavyweight Championship.

He can still go better then most & can legitimately elevate guys to the main event level. Him trading places with Undertaker will benefit the smackdown up & comers. Undertaker's character won't allow him to put over people like John Morrison, Christian, Shelton Benjamin, etc. But like what was said before, Shawn can lose to guys & not have his reputation hurt.

Shawn should win the smackdown title & deserves to be given the ball again. It will be good for him, in showing that he can still be the man, & help others as well. His legacy will improve significantly.

I agree that Michaels doesn't need the title but then surely the Undertaker doesn't either yet he has had numerous title runs over the last few years? What makes HBK different to him in that sense?

You are more than correct.

'Taker definitely doesn't NEED the title. However, Smackdown and the WHC itself needs 'Taker to hold the title. Did you see how many times the WHC changed hands in the past year? That ruined any credibility or prestige that the WHC had and the person carrying the WHC was looked at like, "Wow, so what, you'll lose it next month". 'Taker, whether you believe it or not, is doing what the WWE wants him to do with this title reign. He is bringing the prestige and credibility back to the championship. He surely won't lose the title to Rey at the Rumble, so this lengthy reign that he has had is just what Smackdown ordered.

Again, HBK doesn't need the title and Raw doesn't need him to carry it. They have plenty of guys on Raw that can do that. That is the difference between 'Taker and HBK.

It would be fun to see HBK with one last run, but really, would it matter? Would winning the title once more have ANY effect on his absolutely certain induction into the WWE Hall of Fame? Would it help to solidify his reputation as Mr. Wrestlemania, as if that were in doubt? Shawn Michaels has done everything he possibly could in his career, one more title would be meaningless, other than the nostalgia aspect of it for the fans. It won't help get him over, it won't help his HOF career, it won't do anything for HBK that he hasn't already accomplished ten times over.

I Am Phenom is 100% correct. Taker is the champion, because Smackdown has nobody that can legitimately carry the brand right now. If and when Edge comes back to Smackdown, (assuming he doesn't move over to RAW) you will have a legit contender again. Undertaker is holding the title because nobody on Smackdown has proven worthy enough to take it from him, not because he is a glory hound who has to be champion.

HBK will never need a world title reign agian. His legacy and iconic impact will never die out. His career is too storied. But although one last world title run would be great. HBK is my favourite wrestler, and the best over all wrestler of all time IMO. I am Phenom put up a good point as well; "a major title wouldn't help HBK at all. He would do more for the title right now then it could do for him and, when you think about it, that really is sad." I honestly couldn't have said it better myself.

HBK does not need another world title run, but as a fan I'd love to see ONE LAST TITLE RUN! :)

short ans to this is ofc. tho you all make good points. HBK is imo the very best worker in the ring. he can put some1 over and let them build a carrer over one name. even kurts matches with shawn were the best in his carrer.HBK is a Legend in Wrestling. not just WWE. the bussiness. he needs 1 more run. but personaly for me "am a huge mark for HBK." one more isnt enf. id like to see him beat taker. and hold the title for a while 1/2months? then lose it, regain it at RR and lose to Morrison. Morrison can carry the torch by then for sure.

hey everyone,

i have been an hbk fan since i started watching wrestling some 17 years ago or so. i have to agree with all of you here that hbk does not need any title to define his career. he has given us some of the greatest moments and matches ever. but just agreeing with some of you i would love him to have one last title run for the nostalgia and as a heel and just for the pure entertainment that we all know his promos are capable of.

I think the WWE needs a face to have the strap on that people actually respect. When Sheamus finally drops it to whoever that may be, I don't see a reason why not to put it on Shawn. Does Shawn need it? No, he doesn't. But, who is teh next face champ going to be? Triple H is damn good, but I think it has gotten a bit stale, with he and Cena being the only faces on Raw who usually hold it (Hardy is gone). Cena gets booed out of the building where ever he goes, and like him or not, that is true. I think the WWE could use him very well as a champ right about now. He can still put on great matches with just about anyone they throw at him. He is always over with crowds (minus Canada) and he is a huge name. And for those of you who want to see it on a younger guy, that's what we have been seing. Look at Sheamus, CM Punk, Hardy, and Orton. A veteran can still hold the belt and then, hopefully drop it to a younger looking for a big push up the ranks.

I'd like to see HBK have another title reign. But its been mentioned that hes done everything in his career and another title reign isnt really going to do any good for him, but not any bad either. So i was thinking, he needs to win it in his final match. We all know hes going to retire and what better send off could the wwe give him than to put him in possibly the best match of his career, for the title, and win? Book it well, build it up. have it at Mania. But besides that, im not sure if he'll get or need another reign. Although i would love to see it.

i think it really wouldnt matter if he did hes already solidified his place in the hall of fame. but it would be nice to see one more title with him but it probably wont happen

What I don't think some people understand is it isn't all about HBK's legacy. Shawn Michaels doesn't NEED anything, he's done it all. However, us as fans should WANT HBK to have another world title. Why? So a world championship match will actually mean something again. Sheamus v. Orton? Who cares? Kofi, Cena, Batista, even HHH, it doesn't matter, we've seen it and it isn't exciting. Shawn Michaels holding the title belt? Yes, that means a LOT more than anyone else in the WWE holding it. You know with HBK as champion you are going to get only the BEST championship matches every time. You know you are going to have some of the most exciting feuds each time.

The bottom line is Shawn Michaels doesn't need another championship, but we should ALL be praying that WWE gives him another one anyway.

Okay Shawn Michaels should definitely have another WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP reign. But he wont and the Shawn Michaels obsessed mark I am wishes he would. Here I am now excited about him winning the ROYAL RUMBLE... WILL HE??? NO. Because he has to disappoint, how many title shots that he should of won over the years but he didn't. Its bull but its something I gotta deal with. Instead YAY!!! Sheamus is Champ whopp di dooo. Yea wrestling. He just doesn't want to be champ... EPIC FAIL.

It speaks volumes that HBK has had such a distinguished career and is considered the best in the business and not needing a title to elevate him. Other slike Triple H AND uNDERTAKER seem to need a title to define them as main eventers, but HBK and Jericho let ther matches and skills speak for themselves. Michaels should be given a farewell run with one of the titles as reward for his career and brilliance he has done for WWE. I really hope he isnt rematching Taker at Wrestlemania, hoping its a swerve for Triple H to get all jealousy and take HBK out, with them feuding for the WWE Chmapionship at Manai.

He doesn't need any more world titles and shouldn't need any more. Being the champion means you would have to work more shows including house shows and HBK hasn't been known to do that a lot so that's one strike against him. Michaels may put on great matches but he's not exactly the model of consisently but fans won't get tired of it because of the nostalgia factor. If fans wanted HBK to have the world title so bad they had their chance in 2002 and only had the title for a month for reasons not known to me. If HBK wins a world title in the future, I don't see anything much coming out of it just like the last one.

Ill be honest in saying that HBK doesn't NEED to have a MAJOR title on him, BUT I think the fans would LOVE him to get one last run, especially after the stellar matches he has put on over the last couple of years.

Honestly, just like they did with Ric Flair...if they were to send off Shawn Michaels, I think it should be wearing the strap...ONE LAST TIME!!

A lot of people who have been in the game for so long have had countless titles just to suit their ego...Hogan, HHH, etc., but in the case of HBK...i think the more he gets older (and skinner), the better he becomes in his matches.

If anybody deserves a "SEND OFF", sort of like what they did with Flair, it should be HBK winning the strap ONE LAST TIME.

The best thing for HBK to do is have another title reign b4 he retires. Turn him heel in the progress of his title reign. Make him fued with a younger talent Kofi, Shelton, & Morrison comes in mind. Try to make the title reign as long as possible, up to Wrestlemania 27. Making that match a ladder match. If that happens HBK will make the title prestigious and ultimately passing the torch to a up & comer. That is something one of those up & comer like Shelton, Kofi, Morrison or whoever needs right now.

Even if that doesn't happen. HBK should atleast have one more title reign. The fans wanna see it. He will put on some of the best performance of his life.

If being a champion means to work more. Why should Taker have the WHC & not HBK? Taker works a light schedule too.

Shawn Michaels should get another world title, it would likely be his last one.

HBK is a legend and has had an amazing career, very few would say that he hasn't. I don't think his legacy would be tarnished by the fact that he hasn't held a world title since 2002 because he's a legend and most fans like him anyhow, but many would agree that he deserves "that one final run with a world title". It would be a great moment when he wins it, and we all know he's still capable of putting on awesome PPV matches.

If he doesn't want to be champion again, that's fine.... and it explains why he hasn't held a world title for almost 8 years, but just one last run wouldn't hurt. He could really put someone over in the end by having a newcomer be the one who defeats him. It would be a good way for him to pass the torch. I'm fine with him not getting another world title. One last run would be incredible though and he deserves a final world title run for all the work he's put in for WWE over the years.

However, he'll remain VERY over whether he gets another world title or not.

Michaels doesn't need any more titles, and giving them to him are a bad idea. Michaels as a champion wouldn't really help his career. He will forever be defined by what he accomplished up to about 4 years ago. The final ail in the coffin, as it were, of his legacy was the last two matches he had at WrestleMania. For the rest of his career, he will be on the wind down. He shouldn't be champion because he was never that good a champion in the first place and because his career doesn't need it.

It's a bad idea for him because he won't be able to match the career defining title matches that he had back in the day, but also because he would have to start working house shows. Nobody is ever going to run a wrestling company without having their champion on house shows, so it is highly unlikely that Michaels would not do so, unless he wasn't the focal point as champ. He neither needs nor deserves another reign and it wouldn't be in anyone's interest for him to have one.

Does he need another run? No not at all, just like Taker didn't need the title(stupid WWE) HBK does not need it at all. I think the best thing he could do is start to help and push some of the younger guys, because they are going to need it soon. I always saw this kind of like I looked at HBK turning heel this late in his career, he has done so much in his career, he could job to Chavo tomorrow, and he still would be The Showstopper.

Now as I fan I would love for him to have one more run and leave WWE on top. I think it could be done to work, but first you would have to get him away from DX and make him this more edgier Shawn Michaels. Personally I think at a given match he could go out and have an instant classic. And if you look at some of the younger guys he could feud with just look at some of the potential match ups...HBK vs CM Punk...HBK vs John Morrison...HBK vs The Miz all would be really entertaining feuds and who give the other guy a great boost if they look creditable.

Should he have anymore world title reigns? Quite frankly, if he doesn't want another world title run, then then the answer is definitely no. HBK has always been able to bring it in the ring and on the mic, he's one of the greatest overall pro wrestlers in the history of the business. While I wouldn't really have any complaints if he did have another run, I don't really see it happening. DX is on the verge of splitting up, they'll probably drop the tag titles pretty soon and that's something I can't wait for to be honest.

A few months back, I remember reading part of a transcript of an interview Michaels was giving on a radio show and he said that he was going to take time off after WrestleMania just as he did last year in order to rest up and spend more time with his family. I haven't read or heard anything since that would indicate that those plans have changed.

I know some have brought up that neither he or the Undertaker needs the world title and that's true overall. Both men have legacies that aren't going to be tarnished and their places in wrestling history are secure. However, having the Undertaker as WHC has brought some needed stability to the title as the WWE did play hot potato with the title last year. Having someone like the Undertaker, a respected veteran and legend, have a long run with a title is a good way of restoring credibility and stability to a title if it's been changing hands frequently. I doubt that HBK will be willing to go to Smackdown either so that, coupled with what seem to be his plans post WM, I don't expect him to walk out with the title.

So, should he have another run? It wouldn't bother me if he did at all. But, if he doesn't want it, don't shove it down his throat.

HBK DOESNT NEED THE THE TITLE!

but i would sure as hell would like to see him with one. i personally think its bin too long since we saw a champ that the fans respected and that champ is hbk. Im sick of seeing my favorite wrestler job time and time again to the likes of orton, cena, hhh and jericho (well jericho not so much) but it would be a nice change to see him have a good long world title reign.he deserves it.

It's not so much whether or not Shawn Michaels needs it, as he doesn't. It's a matter of WWE needing this to transpire. And they need it badly.

Vince has this obsession with the champion of the show appearing at House Shows, and that is understandable. However, because nobody honestly expects titles to change at House Shows anyway, thanks to Vince's laziness when it comes to booking House Shows, frankly I don't think it's a big deal if Shawn appears or not.

However, WWE desperately needs Shawn Michaels as the WWE Champion because it will give a much needed refreshing change to WWE television. When is the last time he was champion? Wasn't it back in the early 2000's? That's absurd.

Instead, it is more often than not rotated between the John Cena, Triple H, and Randy Orton trifecta ... with an occasional "Ultimate Opportunist" victory from Edge. That bullshit got stale 2-3 years ago.

So obviously, based on Shawn's abilities alone, he deserves it, unquestionably, and that goes without saying. However, I would argue that WWE needs Shawn Michaels as Champion more than he necessarily needs it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back